The Office Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

Writers for Steve = Writers for Ed?

Faithin1

[1]Nov 2, 2011
    • level: 10

Is anyone else wondering, with the exception of a few tweaks, if the writers are still writing for "Michael Scott" and just changed the name on the script to Andrew Bernard? I swear a few things from the last few episodes were said exactly how Michael would have said them, or done that same way. Now, I think it was decent to make Andy the new Regional Manager, as Dwight would have just been annoying after some time, and with John Krasinski's contract up this season, they probably didn't want to have to do the search all over again (on screen or otherwise) It is just, Andy seems just like Michael, only a lite version. I applaud Ed Helms for stepping into a beloved role, and doing a great job with it, it just doens't seem that different. Almost too seamless. Maybe that is what they were going for, and I have to admit, I am glad it wasn't a huge mess of actors, like Will Ferrell... but maybe I am just still waiting to see what else is going to happen.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TMFMM2022AD

[2]Nov 4, 2011
    • level: 60

Are you referring to the Doomsday episode? How did you picture Andy to be as a manager?

Faithin1

[3]Nov 9, 2011
    • level: 10

Mostly, I'm referring to so much. The goofy stuff he does (though very true to Andy Bernard as a character) are so similar to how Michael Scott was, I almost wonder if they just write like Steve is there, and hope Ed Helms can pull it off.

mrjimmyjames

[4]Nov 9, 2011
    • level: 7

My theory is that the writers intended to replace Michael Scott with two people: Andy as manager and Robert California as CEO and get the best of both worlds. Because Andy is thought to be sort of Michael-lite (after all he wants to be liked by everyone and does not come off as mean and unlikeable), I think the writers did want to continue with someone like that. Adding Robert allows them to add acharacter who is not like Michael in a role different from manager. My opinion of the season is that it has been very good so far and Andy has been good so far but I did not expect him to be this much of a center of the show. I assumed he would be the center for about half the episodes and Robert would be for the rest but Robert, as a character,doesn't feel like he's being written very well. That is the only disappointment of the season so far. When was the last time he said a line that was funny? It seemed like he was funny for his first two episodes and then that was it. He now only makes a presence on the show that moves the plot along. I feel like he should have been established as a breakout character by now.

ArtCorvelay

[5]Feb 9, 2012
    • level: 8

To me he is distinctly Andy. The big difference unfortunately is that Michael was allowed to be the star and Andy is rarely even given a part in the central stories.