The Office

Goodbye, Michael

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Apr 28, 2011 on NBC

• Goodbye to the hilarious lovable jerk

Michael leaving is just the most sucky suck suck thing in the series. Atleast half the fun is gone with this :/ didnt enjoy season 8... Jerk move!!! :(

On the plus side though Toby flenderson did recieve his extreme repulsivness award.

And he deserved it! :) :D
  • So long!

Wow! This was the first time I ever got a bit choked up on an episode of the Office...yet I was cracking up the other 95% of the time! A hilarious, yet tragic end to Michael Scott's career at Dunder Mifflin. I'm not sure how the new guy will fit into all this.. Will Ferrel is funny but honestly no one could ever top Michael Scott..ever.

I almost feel like it would be a sin to go on without him; however, saying goodbye to Michael was a bit much. At this point I'm not sure I could handle saying goodbye to the rest.

This has been one of the most consistently funny - with the tiny exception of a chunk of season 6 - shows that has aired to date. There are too many sit-com type shows out there and they just don't make me laugh.. in fact you'll catch me laughing more watching House than watching Two and a Half Men, for example.

We all will miss you Michael Scott...Steve Carell. Thanks for bringing us seven years of solid laughter!! Te extrañaremos señor Scott!
  • It's hard to say a Goodbye..

'Goodbye Micheal' was probably one of the saddest episodes on TV. It's just heartbreaking. You going to be missed 'Micheal Scott'. The Office was about Laughter for seven straight years, No stops. and Michal was outstanding. It's Really a joke when you see great actor like 'Steve Carell' never win an EMMY!, He does the undo-able. Pam, Jim and Dwight what a last moments with this perfect sitcom actor!

even if you thought about it, Jerry Seinfeld never won an EMMY and he still a legend. so it's ok Steve if this year's Emmy forget all about you!.
  • Michael says goodbye for the last time.

There will be people who were incredibly disappointed with this episode and some people who love it for no other reason that they love every Office episode, even the lamer ones.. however, I have to admit, I'm inclined to look at this episode with a kind eye, even if there were moments I didn't enjoy. Let's look at the big picture: this is Michael's final episode, and even if he pops up here and there in a special episode, he's mostly gone now. And I'll miss him; I realized that now.

Let's get the bad out of the way: I know Michael is a clueless boss sometimes, but some of the things he said to people in the office (Gabe) and did to them (Phyllis) was just cruel.. Making Phyllis make the gloves even when her arthritis was flaring up wasn't as funny to me, and his transvestite quote to Gabe was funny if it weren't to a man suffering a break-up. What Erin did to Gabe was lame, but the writers seem to want to show him as this goofy whiny guy. I'm on Gabe's side here (although I will say the writers gave him some great lines). Also, I liked Andy here, but hated DeAngelo. Will Ferrell's a good comedy actor, but his role here is just going over the top, and not in a funny way.

But the good? Plenty of it. The callbacks to earlier seasons were great (Michael placing his new Dundee on his desk, Creed walking out of the woman's bathroom, Michael going down to the warehouse to try and use the baler (remember the Safety Training episode??)). All great moments when they first appeared on the show and all great when they reappear here. Also, we get an incredibly poignant moment between Jim and Michael as well as Dwight and Michael (tell me, is there anything more touching than watching Michael play paintball with Dwight, especially considering in Season 2, he rejected Dwight's Yankee Swap gift of paintball lessons).

And that final scene with Michael, where he asks the cameramen to let him know if he airs the footage they've filmed over the show and when he takes off his mic and says a silent "that's what she said," followed by Pam showing up at the last second to say goodbye.. just a great send-off of one of television's most entertaining characters.

Yeah, there will be people who hate the episode, who have been disappointed in the show for awhile.. and yes, I'm one of those who wishes the show was still as good as the first three or four seasons.. but I have to say, I was very impressed with the show tonight.. bravo to Greg Daniels for keeping me enthralled for the whole hour.
  • Goodbye, Michael

A very momentous episode of The Office. The episode we've all been waiting for. Steve Carrel's departure was definitely sad. I really liked the whole "leaving without anyone knowing" thing. Really made those small little moments all the more special.

The Andy and D'Angelo scenes were actually pretty funny. This is probably the first time since Will Ferrel has been on this show that I have laughed at something he's said or done. That's not really a good thing but better late than never.

I would have been pretty disappointed if Pam & Michael didn't say goodbye. Their scene at the end was heartbreaking. Favorite line: "Let me know if this ever gets on TV, alright?" Absolutely hilarious. Definitely a stepping stone for The Office. The beloved Michael Scott character will not be forgotten and I'm sure we are all in anticipation to see who's going to take over Dunder Miflin next year. Superb episode.
  • Michael says farewell to the Office

First of all this is one of the saddest Office episodes ever, but still it maintains enough humor to make it also one of it's finest moments. The episode starts of kind of in an odd venue with Michael on top of Dunder Mifflin's roof talking about moving to Colorado when Dwight enters and gives Michael bull testicles, still being angry about not being recommended for a job. The episode then focuses on Michael giving each of his staffers a gift for Andy Bernard it's his best clients (which Andy almost immediately loses), for Angela he looks at her photos of her "boyfriend", Kevin he tells not to be a caricature, Oscar he gives a weird scarecrow (and laughs at it in an prolonged sort of way), he also gives Phyllis a pair of teeth, Darryl he gives "A how to Manage Book" and Stanley a missing pool ball set. As this occurs DeAngelo (Will Ferell) and Andy go to attain Michael's client of course DeAngelo acts all creepy and makes the outing not so memorable or fun. Back to Michael, he announces he is leaving tonight and not tomorrow as everyone anticipated. After giving Dwight a letter of recommendation where Dwight almost breaks down in tears (Great acting by Rainn Wilson) seriously how does this guy not have an Emmy or nomination yet the "Actors" Of Modern Family get nominated for every little thing they do. Michael then plays paintball with him, and then gives his last meeting where he brings back Ping. Of course as he does this Pam disappears out of the Office to look at new copiers (but really to see the King Speech, I was surprised it was still in theaters shouldn't it be on DVD by now?)Anyway the episode ends with Micheal's last meeting becoming a disaster as Stanley rushes out of the room and Jim goes to talk to Michael in private realizing Michael is leaving, they both look as though they want to break down in tears especially Michael just looks like he's going to explode when he says "James Halpert you started with this company." He doesn't as him and Jim decide to "create a hypothetical lunch" with one another the following day so Jim could tell Michael how great of a boss he is. Michael ultimately leaves as his taxi arrives narrowly missing Pam and at the airport takes off his mic, getting out one last "That's what she said" before Pam gives him one farewell hug as he departs. A great episode where we saw the vulnerability of Michael Scott, deserves an Emmy for Steve Carell. No offense but a Nerd Babbling Physics Terms (And I like the BBT) will not be able to match the emotion Carell mustered in this performance. Great ep.
  • Goodbye Steve Carell

I thought that this was a perfect episode of "The Office". It was very funny but it also very sad because of Michael's farewell to everyone. It was very funny when Michael was gonna tell everyone a secret about Phyllis but he just said that Phyllis was cute in high school and Phyllis said "I thought that he knew about the baby". Deangelo and Andy trying keep Michael's most important clients was also very funny. I thought Dwight and Michael having a paintball fight was hilarious and heartwarming. It was funny when Pam told Michael that she was leaving the office for a little bit to look at new copiers but goes to the movie theater to see "The King's Speech". There were alot of humorous moments in this episode but I can't say all of them but I did think it was hilarious when there was a character picture of Kevin as a pig and much more hilarious moments. This episode was also sad because everyone thinks that Michael was leaving tomorrow when he was actually leaving today and the only person who found out about that was Jim. It was sad because Michael took one last look at everyone in the office before he left to the airport because Michael left without everyone knowing about him leaving today. It was also very heartwarming that Pam came on time to the airport to say goodbye to Michael and then they hugged. The ending with Deangelo eating the cake kind of didn't make sense to me but it was kind of funny. Overall, you have given laughter to the "The Office" for seven seasons Steve Carell and I am truly sad to see you leave but thank you for bringing laughter to the show and I hope you at least guest star in the show in the future. 10/10
  • Farewell Michael Scott/Steve Carell

This is probably one of the saddest episodes on TV in general. This is almost as sad as when Michael J Fox left "Spin City". Michael Scott is my favorate character in the entire show, to me he was practically the glue. Michael was a holy fool, he always wanted to create synergy and a positive work enviorment but also had the best intentions and ambitions in a lot of things in both business and life and did his best to achieve them. The results of course were always mixed, but somehow in the end things turned out alright. His head may never have been in the right place but his heart always was, this didn't just make him a great boss but a great human being. The truth about life is were all individuals, we all want different things and all go different directions, and that is why Michael has to leave.

This episode has a lot of funny moments but I want to talk about the moments that were really touching and emotionally moving. Like when he handed Dwight his letter of recomendation which not just supported Dwight professonally but what Michael thought of him as a friend.

There was a moment when Michael kinda freaks out, thinking he is making a mistake leaving them. That is easy to emphasize with because I have that same sinking feeling every time I had to move away from my friends. But then he gets a call from Holly, and he remembers his reason why, his future is with the one he truly loves. But of course the best ones for me were with Jim and Pam. Both of them I always felt were like the brother and sister Michael never had. I like some of the final things both Jim and Mike said and both actually teared up. And of course Pam at the last moment even when there was no sound hugged Michael and said good bye to him.

I'll admit at the final moment when Michael gives back the pocket mike and the sound cuts off, I couldn't help but tear up even cry a bit because at that moment I knew that was when both Mike and Steve finally left.

Steve you gave a great performance, you didn't just play a fictional character but in a way you played yourself because some of your humanity shinned though the character, I'm going to miss you. As a saying goes, "It's never the places I miss, it's the people." Farewell Steve Carell.
  • A few notes on the leaving of Michael Scott...

My views on 'The Office' have not changed since I initially reviewed the show...Steve Carrel as Michael Scott is still the absolute master of office politics smarmy-ness...so much so that I get cold chills just watching this show (being myself a veteran of many office political situations as a 15 year contract engineering employee who threw it all over out of disgust and turned to cab driving to save my own sanity). 'The Office' is still the show I love to hate. 'The Office' is still the most devistatingly funny parody of office life I've ever seen. And even though I'll miss Steve Carell as Michael Scott, I'm looking forward to seeing what Will Farrel can do with his boss man roll now that he has the ball...I really like what I've seen so far, and now that I've had a taste, I'm looking forward to some truly classic episodes!