The Office

Heavy Competition

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Apr 16, 2009 on NBC

• I, understand nothing...

Continuing where we left off last week, Heavy Competition sees the series continue on with the Michael Scott Paper Company arc in full swing, with a little conflict between the two offices. Of course, this is a similar idea that we've seen played out in previous episodes dealing with separate branches within Dunder Mifflin, but there's an added bonus here that really sells the outing as something special. Pitting master against student, the writers strike up a highly amusing battle of sales and wit between Dwight and Michael that is always fun to watch play out from the get go. Particularly enjoyable is Dwight's confliction as to who he should be loyal to, along with his disgruntled acceptance to wearing long-sleeved shirts at the request of his new "cool" boss. The side-plot which focuses on Jim playing an obscure, elaborate joke on Andy is less successful, and never really takes off-but with a brilliant main event, Heavy Competition proves to be one of the season's minor highlights.