The Office

Moroccan Christmas

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Dec 11, 2008 on NBC

• A different Christmas

It's another Christmas party at the office. This time the party is lead by Phyllis. The theme was interesting. I wonder if this was done more to annoy Angela. I also think Phyllis got the idea from going to Diwali. At this time no one but her knows what happened to Angela and Dwight. This is why she leads the party. It's fun to see Phyllis order Angela around. I find it curious that Michael didn't get too involved in this party. If you are wondering why, it's probably because of Meredith.

Meredith has always been someone who likes the booze. Part of it is for fun and part of how her life is. You see displays of her fondness for alcohol throughout the series. This time she had too much and accidentally sets her hair on fire. She is not hurt and Michael holds an intervention for her. Again it's funny how Michael leads this meeting making it seem like he knows more about this subject. The scenes between Michael and Meredith were very entertaining especially when he tried to take her to the rehab clinic. What made this good was that I think this was the first extended interaction between them. I also enjoyed how Dwight tries to take advantage of lazy and procrastinating parents with the toy. It's a smart move on his part. I do wish Jim would've done something about this. Not in terms of stopping it but hiding them or some other prank. However this would happen the episode should've been an hour. I also wish that the talk between Michael and Meredith would've been shown. The ending was great and set up what would be a memorable episode.

This episode was so-so for me, didn't really feel like a Christmas episode though. I felt it was just like any other day in The Office, with a a party of course. This episode started out good with Meredith setting her hair on fire, but then it just went downhill from there. An episode focused on Meredith isn't the sign of a good episode of The Office, the dialogue was absolutely ridiculous coming from Michael & Meredith and it just goes to show how exaggerated this show has gotten.

We've got some funny lines here and there, but the writers definitely could have done better. From the party in the beginning to the eventful ending, which almost seemed anti-climactic after dragging out this whole Andy/Angela/Dwight triangle for too long. It had it's moments. The thing that made this episode annoying, was Andy's wretched singing, it was not funny.

Just probably the worst Christmas special on The Office which is funny since that was always what they were best it, just goes to show this show is going downhill.
  • The office writers need an intervention

The Office doesn't seem to be working anymore. I really don't understand how the folks deem this script to be funny. This one definitely jumped the shark in terms of genre. It looked like a couple of amateur Youtube videos patched up together. Whatever, you may term it as, but definitely this ain't comedy.

For one, we have Micheal busting his ass off to get Meredith to admit she's an alcoholic and get her into rehab. I believe they tried to produce some slapstick humor with Micheal forcibly dragging her inside the rehab center. Unfortunately, this looked horrendous and sexually demeaning. Phyllis trying to get Angela to do all the party chores was not funny, mainly because these two characters are never funny even in the classic office episodes. We also have Dwight selling some human-unicorn doll to make some obscene money. The final scene with Toby and Darryl was stupid and totally inappropriate. I am not against racially charged humor. 30 Rock does it all the time, they mostly operate on the platform of stereotypes rather than the depicting frank meaning. Unfortunately, the office has made a huge mess of it.

Stupid episode. The writer's need to attend improv school again.
  • worst episode of the office ever? i think so

this episode was absolutely...i cant think of a word bad enough. im not one of those people that think the office is horrible this season in fact i think it is quite good but this episode was awful. firstly it had alot of meredith in it and i do not like the character of meredith on the show. she is unfunny and stupid. also the episode was really boring and i wanted it to end. thankfully this is a very unmemorable episode and if the next episode is good enough hopefully i can just forget this one. this was a bad episode and i expect MUCH more from a show as good as the office
  • Angela's affair with Dwight is revealed.

This episode was so-so, didn't really feel like a Christmas episode though. I felt it was juts like any other day in The Office, with a a party of course. This episode focused on Meredith, who gets her hair caught on fire after drinking too much. So the office, creates an intervention. Through the whole episode, Michael tries to get her to a rehab. Eh, that plot was okay, I guess. It had it's moments. The thing that made this episode annoying, was Andy's wretched singing. Ugh. The thing that made this episode interesting and brought the rating way up, was the mini cliffhanger in the end. Phyllis lets the cat out of the bag, Angela is sleeping with Dwight behind Andy's back, and now everyone knows except Andy. This can't be good. Good Christmas episode. Without the cliffhanger in the end, the rating of the episode wouldn't be so hot.
  • Absolutely hilarious

The Office is supposed to be a random show and is supposed to leave the audience feeling awkward at times. In that it is supposed to be filled with random and funny scenes. I think that this episodes was one of the greatest as far as that goes. I absolutely loved it. Though i do agree, in earlier episodes Michael stated that they were not allowed to serve alcohol at work parties. Later on in that episode, he DID go out and buy alcohol in an attempt to get the entire office sloshed. So, this could be a continuation of that logic. Either way, totally love this show and hope that more episodes are just like the Moroccan Christmas party. Another thought, Andy should totally find out about Angela and Dwight. He may be a complete idiot, but I think he deserves to know and it would make for some interesting drama. Angela and Dwight should get back together as well. They are practically a match made in heaven.
  • A somewhat uneven episode that had it's REALLY great moments, but also some pretty bad ones..

I was fully expecting this episode to be a classic in every sense of the word. When The Office writers have provided us with Christmas episodes such as "Christmas Party" and "Benihana Christmas," I was almost expecting a classic without even knowing much about it. Perhaps I got my hopes up too much. The episode was not as much of a train wreck as some of the reviewers have made it out to be, but it also had some incredibly strange scenes that just didn't fit that Office atmosphere. First off, I'd like to say that Michael and Dwight had some of my favorite lines from this entire season.. Michael saying his drink was an "Orange vod-juice-ka" and describing his idea of what the definition of an "intervention" was, as well as Dwight's "fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-ka-ching" were great and gave me a feel of The Office that we know and love. Andy going on and on about his nicknames was also really good.

However, as soon as Michael left the Office to bring Meredith to the Rehab center, it was just one strange, out of place scene after the other. If they would've just focused on the Morrocan Christmas theme instead of Meredith's intervention, it would've been a much stronger episode.

I still refuse to believe that The Office has become this entirely different show.. It still has the same feel to me: same awkward lines from Michael, same old Dwight, Jim and Pam.. This storyline was just weak, especially the Meredith one.
  • Meredith's hair catches on fire and Phyllis spills the beans!

I've been disappointed with the show lately, but this one took me back! It was weird but not as weird as the other ones have been. There were too many funny moments, and awkward moments, which is what this show is about! I'm glad that Phyllis finally blabbed about Angela and Dwight. It's good that she's standing up for herself. But I feel so bad for Andy! He really seems to "love" Angela. And Dwight is being kind of evil...not sure I'm liking that. But all-around, this was a great episode that will have true Office fans begging for more!
  • An absolute train wreck.

My God, this was awful. Where do I start? First of all Dunder Mifflin Christmas parties do not allow alcohol? Remember from the first one? Yeah, the writers don't.

Then we had Meredith running around screaming in a scene that felt like a bad home movie. Andy annoying his coworkers and the viewers with singing and pitiful interactions between Phyllis and Angela. To say this is a disgrace to the original Office and even early seasons of the US Office would be a colossal understatement. Stupid props, terrible jokes and bizarre plotlines are the norm for the new Office, I get that, but seriously they have to be able to do better than this.
  • Phyllis plans a Morroccan Christmas Party when Michael plans an intervention for Meredith. Phyllis forces Angela to do all the hard work or risk telling everyone what she saw at Tobey's Party.

This episode was a solid episode that mixed the humor with sentimental moments very well. Michael is on top form as he attempt to get Meredith to admit she is an alcoholic.

The episode begins with the Christmas party in full swing, with the Morroccan theme being a real favourite of everyone in the office. From Michael mixing drinks he believes he invents to Creed Smoking an unknown substance. As Michael declares it the best Christmas party ever, things are turned upside down when Meredith, in a drunken state, sets her hair on fire. Michael decides to set up an intervention for Meredith where they can convince her to admit she is an alcoholic. The intervention doesn't work but Michael refuses to give up and tricks Meredith to a rehab clinic. This doesn't work out as Meredith attempts to flee the clinic before Michael drags her in only to realise that rehab needs to be voluntary.

Meanwhile Dwight gets a monopoly on the most popular toy of the christmas season, Princess Unicorn. He buys them all out in Scranton forcing people to buy from him for an inflated price. He manages to sell out and make a fortune, this provides a few laughs but is really just a filler story to make up time.

Also, Angela is working overtime on the party as Phyllis says that if she doesn't do what she asks she will tell the whole office that she is cheating on Andy with Dwight. Angela does hundreds of tasks before cracking and calling Phyllis' bluff. But she never expects Phyllis to tell the whole office. Andy is not there at the time but the rest of the office is left in shock, with exception to Dwight who has a great smirk on his face.

This episode was not as funny as The Surplus or Customer Survey (the highlights of the season) but it was still worth tuning in with some genuinely funny momments like when Michael is mixing drinks and when Tobey is desperate to get one of Dwight's christmas toys. It will be hard to go so long without a new episode but this episode gave me enough to know that there are still things to come from this season.
  • They have a Moroccan Christmas. Meredith catches on fire, Dwight sells dolls, Angela/Dwight/Andy triangle stuff.

This was an alright episode. Nothing compared to last week's which was amazing. Last week's had me busting up laughing. There are a few funny scenes including Michael chasing Meredith in the parking lot, the pen being thrown at Toby, the prank on Dwight at the beginning, and of course Dwight's response to Phyllis telling the whole office he's sleeping with Angela. He just sat there like a stud, "Well don't act so surprised." That was the best line of the episode for sure. The most shocking thing was when Phyllis aired all of Angela's dirty laundy... so quickly. And she just yelled it. I think that was a decent hook. I definitely want to see next week' s episode to see what happens with that. I'm just hoping it also has a little more of that classic Office humor which this seemed to lack.
  • Funny as always, not too different from other Season 5 episodes, but also not as comical as the other Christmas episodes.

This episode of The Office was, like always, fun to watch and with moments that shock you. Michael's dealing with Meredith's alcoholism was so typical of him - always wanting the best for others but doing it in a very, uhm, special way. It made me laugh a bit when he threw the pen at Toby's face, surprising yet typical of the series, which is what this whole episode really is. However, there weren't that many "ha ha" moments in this for me and it was not as amusing as it usually is. Dwight is rather smart here and he is probably making a lot of money on selling the dolls. A bit cruel but still funny and during the whole show, he remained very serious as usual.

Toby has his share of lines in this episode and seeing him laugh for once was great - also the look in his face when he saw the doll he just bought. While not as comical and laughable as the other Christmas episodes on this show ("A Benihana Christmas" and "Christmas Party"), it is worth watching, if not only for what happens between Dwight and Angela.
TBS