The Office

NBC (ended 2013)

pedroman01

The Office Fan Reviews page 17 of 21

• Better then the original

When I began to see the The show I was a little pessimistic becuse I really like the british version.
    I was very surprised to see that this version is Better then the original.

Steve Carell is a great comedian actor, in the second session he really take his character to a new level.
  • Comedy that takes place in an American office

This comedy copies off the British version for the first season, and is still very hilarious. The second season takes off and the plots grows with plently of twists to keep you interested, as if the humor and childlike Behavior of Micheal Scott (Steve Carell) weren\'t enough to keep you interested. This comedy is exactly what American television needed, and anyone who watches wont be disappointed. Starting midseason might be hard to pick up on all the things, this will definately be a show to get the DVD's and discover all the details later.
  • I loved the original and was skeptical to see this... I'm glad I checked it out, one of my favorites now!

The Office (US) is an NBC series based on a british series of the same name. The original series ran 2 seasons and had a finale christmas special episode. The characters were original, funny, and touching. Lately when a show translates over from the UK to the US it doesn't go very well and often flops (See Coupling). I was very nervous this series would go like Coupling did and the jokes wouldn't translate. Luckily, I was wrong! This series began the same way the British one did, but has since branched off into something original and brilliant! The show has created great original plotlines that are fun to follow! I love both versions of The Office!
  • As good as the English Version

Having watched Ricky Gervais's The Office i didn't think it could be topped. Well after watching the american version it still hasn't but it has definately been Matched, with great loveable characters and plenty of ongoing storylines, each episode is a barrel of laughs.
    The main character Michael Scott is just as Good as David Brent, Pam is just as loveable as Dawn, Jim is a perfect match for Pam yet they are makeing us wait for the outcome just like they did with Tim and Dawn, and Dwight is just a funny and likeable as Gareth. This show is definately one of THE best comedy's around
  • Fantastic show, period. It is great this show came to the US and the cast is just perfect.

Anyone that works in an office, small or large, can relate to this show. It is amazingly funny and probably one of the best shows on TV...ever. I don't buy TV shows on DVD, but I own Season 1 of the Office and will own Season 2...and all the other seasons they come out with. I wish that NBC would air the BBC version or that the price would drop on it because I would like to see it. I don’t know how it could be better than this version. It is great that it is shot like a reality show, I think if it wasn’t it wouldn’t be quite as good.
  • some people say they wish this show was an hour long. I wish it was on it's own channel. This show is ab-fab!

I didn't care for this show at first, until i realized it was a mockumentary of "reality" type shows. The interviews with the cast during the episodes are HILARIOUS! Dwight is amazing and embodies all that is brownnose!

There are very few shows I make a point to tell others about. This is one of the top three.

• I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! it makes us belly laugh, and that doesnt happen too often anymore. it is a great hour of tv to watch EARL, and then THE OFFICE. finally, some good tv, worth watching!!!

we missed the first season, and only tuned in after seeing steve in the 40 year old virgin. then when the show moved over to thursdays with earl it made a great hour of tv. both these shows are so funny. i hate the laugh tracks and the stupid jokes of most sit coms. these are fresh and funny and offbeat and good.
  • When I thought nothing could come close to being as brilliant and funny as Arrested Development, The Office comes along and blows me away!

A fantastic cast, brilliant writing and some of the best camera work in comedy, The Office is one half hour that will leave you hurting from laughter. Steve Carrell is perfect as the bad boss with a heart Michael Scott. He can say some pretty politcally incorrect stuff, but he doesn't do it on purpose. And his suck up assistant Dwight steals every scene he's in and the flirtatious relationship between Jim and Pam adds a little bit of suspense to the show. The jokes whiz by and it is sometimes hard to keep up, but this is a show like Arrested Development, but you can jump in at any time. This show will be on for a while.
  • Do yourself a favor and watch it

I feel bad for people who don't get the show. I think it might be due to a low IQ or in-breeding. This is without a doubt the best comedy in years and a one of a kind. Carell is a genious and people who dont like this show can stick to watching Seinfeld and Friends re-runs.
  • [recensione in italiano]

The Office è un remake di una fortunata serie della BBC. Una commedia girata come se fosse un documentario sulla vita di un ufficio anonimo di un'altrettanto anonima azienda. I protagonisti sono la fine del mondo, in particolare il capo ufficio, le situazioni esileranti si susseguono. L'originalità della presentazione da realty show si combina con situazioni grottesche, ma anche situazioni reali. Chiunque abbia lavorato in un ufficio difficilmente non riuscirà ad immedesimarsi in qualcuna di esse: dalle continue stravaganze del capo, ai rapporti d'affetto che si possono generare tra i dipendenti, alle relazioni di antipatia/simpatia che inevitabilmente si instaurano sul posto di lavoro. Forse la miglior commedia di questi ultimi anni. Irresistibile e consigliatissimo!
  • The Office is a stimulating americanized version of a great BBC production. Somehow the writers have been able to americanize the humor- or rather keep the feel of the dry british humor, but delivering the punch line in a manner that American's not only e

It is understandably difficult for one idea to carry over well over two cultures- especially when that idea is a comedic one. Though American shares a similar language, and somewhat similar politics- on a beuracratic level- we are different cultures. Different cultures think different situations are funny for different reasons. Often the political, religious, and leisure spheres of existence in a culture is what lends each in his own culture his sense of humor. This is why I believe shows like Coupling never successfully transferrred to an American adoration, as it so attained in Britain.

The Office has taken topical humor and stretched it to the point of a topical joke actually become a main character, Carrell. Carrell's character is flat, but the flatness of his character is the true humor in his character. It is a joke that makes your side hurt as he tries to work through the quagmire of a one night stand with his Boss.

An employee boss relationship like this is a very uniquily American issue. Only because of American history with women's rights, especially in the work place- and a modern battle again sexual/gender discrimination. This historical twist is interesting because it calls into question all etiquitte rules that are suppose to be in place to protect the secretary- woman from the Boss- man and his aggressive sexual advice that are aquiesced in fear of loss of employement. Carrell's character does not realize the extreme advantage he has, due to historical presidence- and that is why I couldn't stop rolling. Business history, that any uneducated fool understands simply because of the effect of that history on gender relations, teaches us the significance of what took place- between Carrell and his Boss. Yet Carrell, this self proclaimed business genius, finally somewhat justified by his cogent sales abilities- which is what landed him his bedfellow- is completely oblivious to the possible ramifications of what took place between he and a superior in the work place.

This is why the Office has such great genius. It portrays the weaknesses we all have but are afraid to confront- puts them in one character, then foils that character with Jim- the reality of what we all believe ourselves to be.
  • Never seen the original BBC version of The Office, but I really don't want to after seeing this American edition.

Simply put it, this show is goddamn hilarious! Every subtle aspect of this show is ingeniously conceived and executed by the show's writers and cast especially. Steve Carell as the dimwitted Michael Scott is comedic casting that is just perfect. The ignorance and stubbornness that this man presents to his workers is so well written. Every time he appears on screen there is something that he either says or does that just makes me laugh. He reminds me of an early Jim Carrey minus the some of the silly slapstick jokes. Unlike most shows, which are hit or miss, The Office seems to become even more hilarious with each new episode. This show is indeed not for everyone, since the humor is a little more intelligent than most sitcoms on the market. Steve Carell's character is a perfect blend of Homer Simpson, Peter Griffen, and Leslie Nielson (Naked Gun). If you give this show a watch, you will not be disappointed at all. Let's just hope that this show gains in popularity and stays on the air for many seasons to come
  • Hands Down The Funniest Show On TV Right Now! Watch It!

Without A Doubt, Hands Down, The Funniest Show On TV Right Now! Watch It! Nothing Else is Funnier!! I'm also So glad NBC gave it an early renewal so it will be around next season for 22 more awesome episodes! Catch It Thursday At 930 on NBC! Steve Carell is soooooo Funny!!!
  • Helps me get by the week without shooting my boss

I love this show. Steve Carelldefinetly deserved his golden globe. The rest of the cast fits perfectly with there parts. Wilson was born for the role of dwight. Unfortuatly the last episode introdeuced Oscar as gay. i don't see why they have to put this in. It is not funny or make any sense to put a queer in a funny show hopefully there won't be any more scenes of him acually acting gay. Otherwise it is a very funny show
  • Make it stop!

I have given this show more chances than is allowed by my viewing standards. The hype and then the time slot change are an act of desperation in my opinion. It’s a love it or hate it show from some I have spoken to. It has no longevity potential in my book.
  • I didn't like it at first, but it definitely grew on me.

I had seen a few episodes of the British version of The Office a few years ago and enjoyed them, so I gave the American version a chance when it came out. At first, I thought that Steve Carell's character was too crazy and stupid, and too similar to his other characters. The show just didn't appeal to me very much, and I didn't watch anymore.

Recently, my coworkers started talking about how hilarious the show is, so I decided to give it another try. After a few episodes, the characters really grew on me. I realized that the show isn't about Michael Scott and his antics; it's about how everyone else in the office deals with working for an absolutely idiotic boss. If anything, Jim and Pam seem to be the main characters with the episodes revolving around their relationship and their pranks against Dwight.
  • One of the best shows on tv today!!

One of the best shows I have seen in a long time!! The actors are great. My personal favorites are Pam and Jim. The way they interact is just awesome. I have worked in a office for many years and the kind of management and \"office workers\" in the Dunder office is pretty much the way it is. Office work is so boring but they find a way to make it fun to come to work each day! Keep up the good work!! We love you and all the work you do!! Office workers unite!!
  • A warm and sophisticated comedy

This show is an excellent adaptation of the very British original version. It's a mockumentary, and a satire of the office politics we all play. But mainly, it's got a great cast, funny situations, and probably the warmest love story going on all at the same time. for American television this is a breakthrough program .
  • I. love. this. show.

This is one of my favorite shows currently on tv! From the hilarious antics of Dwight K. Shrute and the super-cocky behavior of boss-man Michael Scott, to the...something between Jim and Pam, my two new favorite people. It is snappy, witty, extremely comical, and I just plain love it!
    So flip it on, Thursday night at 9:30, and you will not be disappointed. I swear
  • The Office is the funniest show!

This show is one of the funniest shows on TV today! Steve Carell and the cast are brilliant in their respective roles! With Steve winning his Golden Globe recently, this should give credence to the show's popularity.

I love the fact that in the second season, the cast has been put in certain situations that take them outside the office.

I have watched this show from the first episode or the first season. I only hop the DVDs of the following seasons are as funny as the first!
  • How long will this last...?

0.7
    Uh...somebody explain to me why this is considered funny. I really don't get it. I've tried watching it and folks, it isn't funny. Not at all. Not even a half smirk! I even tried laughing to maybe prime the laughter pump. Nope. No good!

Look, I love crazy, off beat humor. Monty Python is my favorite. I'm no stranger to strange comedy. The Office? Sorry, don't get it. Not funny. That's all.

If you happen to like it, watch it while you can because I can't see how a show with a theme like this won't grow old fast and get axed from the lineup.

So to you The Office fans, enjoy....now back to My Name Is Earl!!!
  • A comedy about the everyday life of office employees working together under the delerious, annoying, hilarious Michael Scot

Wow, i have never seen something on tv so entertaining, witty, and heart-stoppingly hilarious. Michael Scot is soooooooo hilarious, i cannot put the humor into words, Dwight ( played by Rainn Wilson ) Schrute is out of this world, hands down, freaking hilarious. Although it is set up as a documentary comedy, there are still strong emotional ties that thicken as the show progresses, and you become emotionally attached to each and everyone of the characters. Unlike the uk version of the office, i find Michael Scott a bit more bearable because the US version seems to add a bit of "human"ness to his character. Or perhaps Steve Carell just naturally brings that to Michael Scott.

The only reason i would think anyone would dislike this show is because it is a remake of a show that has already been done, and perhaps people feel it is too "off", the new actors/actresses certainly bring their own light and humor to the characters, and I think both versions are gold.
    Another reason might be because of the humor... which is off the wall, hilarious. Nothing less can be expected from the shows two writers/producers Ricky Gervais and Greg Daniels ( produced and cowrote King of the Hill, another one of my favorite shows )

It is rare that you find something so uniquely funny on tv, and it is definetely refreshing with The Office.

Loved it. Will continue to love it, and can watch episodes over again, and again, and again and still have the same laughs.

Ricky Gervais, btw, wrote the script for THE SIMPSONS.

Geniuses at work here!
  • My take on The Office in summary...cutting edge and groundbreaking. The ensemble cast is the best mixed bag of nuts since Barney Miller.

Honestly, I hated the first two episodes of the show. It took me that long to buy into fact that Michael was simply this generations "Archie Bunker." Once I got over that hurdle, I could not stop laughing. The cast is outstanding. Filming the show as if it were a documentary was a risk but boy does it pay dividends. It has been a long time since I have seen this kind of physical, facial reaction, voice inflection/double talk acting. This show combines the best of MASH with wittiness of a Groucho Marx...and boy am I glad I have become hooked!
  • What on Earth is this?!

0.1
    This is one of, if not, the worst series I have ever watched! This is just rediculous. It trys a little to hard to be funny. I could barely watch an episode. I dont know why its so popular and a favorite to so many viewers. Everything about it is horrendous.
  • Innapropriate remarks. Petty behavior. Zero activity. The Office.

7.3
    From Reveille and NBC Universal Television Studio comes a documentary-style look into the humorous and sometimes poignant foolishness that plagues the world of 9-to-5 in the half-hour comedy “The Office,” based on the award-winning BBC hit.

A fly-on-the-wall “docu-reality” parody about modern American office life, “The Office” delves into the lives of the workers at Dunder Mifflin paper supply company in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Regional manager Michael Scott (Steve Carell, “The Daily Show,” “Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy,” “Bruce Almighty”) is a single, middle-aged man who is the boastful tour guide for the documentary.

With unshaken enthusiasm, Michael believes he is the office funnyman, a fountain of business wisdom and his employees’ cool friend. He has no clue that his employees tolerate his inappropriate behavior only because he signs their paychecks. Painstakingly trying to be liked and look cool, Michael comes off alternately absurd and pathetic. His prize possession is his “World’s Greatest Boss” mug -- which he had to buy for himself.

Pam Beesly (Jenna Fischer, “Miss Match”) is the reasonable and friendly office receptionist who bears the brunt of Michael’s routines. The bright spots in Pam’s day are her conversations with Jim Halpert (John Krasinski, “Kinsey”), a likable sales rep with a good sense of humor who should have found a better job years ago, but is too comfortable with his office mates and routine to leave.

Jim shares his working space with Dwight Schrute (Rainn Wilson, “Six Feet Under”), the arrogant assistant to the regional manager. Dwight is intensely irritating to normal people while Jim spends a lot of time finding new, interesting ways to drive Dwight crazy.

Ryan Howard (B.J. Novak, “Punk’d”) is a young, smart, self-possessed temp, who quickly figures out the real office politics despite Michael’s attempts to instill the official point-of-view.

“The Office” is executive-produced by Ben Silverman, Greg Daniels, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Howard Klein.
  • As good as the original...but in a different way.

This is the only show on TV I laugh out loud at. I have the original BBC version on DVD and watch it once a month. This version is as funny or funnier but in a different way. Its taken a while because I was such a big fan of the original....but I'm quickly becoming just as big of a fan of this version.
  • This is by far the most original, funny show on television. Michael Scott is a hysterical conglomeration of every bad boss out there, but still brings an emotional element to the show. The rest of the cast seem very "real," and the absence of a laughtra

Anyone who criticizes this show because they're looking for a carbon copy of the original British version has entirely missed the point. It's a remake. Deal with it. It's like dating a woman and deciding you hate her because she isn't exactly like your last girlfriend. Either break up with her and leave her alone because you can't get over the other woman, or learn to accept the differences. But stop panning The Office just because you can't get over preconceived notions you had about it. The original version was great; this version is great as well, just in a different way. It has a different feel and pace, but it's still hilarious 95% of the time.
  • "Monty Python of the 21st century!"

This show is a throw back to Monty Python's Fling Circus, and it's based off of it's counterpart from across the pond. It's humor is not smart or intellectual, but it is a fun 30 minutes of TV. Although, the humor is very crude, I would recommend this to anyone who just wants a laugh.
  • The Office. Uninhibited.

One of the best shows on right now. Great cast, amazing acting (at least on the part of the main characters) and phenomenal comedy that has you gasping for air at the most unexpected of times. Silent humour, that gets laugh-out-loud results. The funniest parts are in the stares, outbursts and sneaking glances. Truely The Office, uninhibited.
  • After Michael Scott makes a fool of himself by doing a racy Chris Rock routine in front of his employees, corporate decides that Mr. Brown should come in and host a "Diversity Day" or sorts.

This is the absolute funniest episode of 'The Office.' It's an absolute classic. The funniest part in the show is probably when Michael hosts his own Diversity Day after Mr. Brown leaves and makes people wear 'races' on their head and act as controversial as they can towards each other. THe funniest part about it is that the races are things like Black, Jewish, and Martin Luther King Jr., which aren't races at all.

The way Michael scoffs at corporate is great, and his ignorance about racism is just laughable. He has no idea how much of an ass he's being and it's hilarious. On top of all the hilarity over diversity day, Dwight steals Jim's biggest sale of the year, and Pam and Jim get a little bit closer when Pam falls asleep on Jim's shoulder during a meeting.
TBS