The Office

NBC (ended 2013)

pedroman01

The Office Fan Reviews (608)

• Horrible, Absolutely Horrible. This show is defintely lost in translation.

0.0
    Even though the show is only translated in the sense that it has been americanized, it has lost that tragic humour which made the original so good. The original always seemed true, and portrayed things realistically, while the american one seems to going for laughs in a very obvious, which takes away from the humour. This show should never have been made, as there is no reason for it. If americans really want to watch it, and have difficulties with the british accents, just buy the dvd's and turn on the freakin' subtitles. Catell is a totally different type of comedian than Gervais, and while the writing on this show is solid, as it is completely ripped from the british one, it is horribly miscast. Not worth watching...at all
  • Well, my last review got deleted so let's try again...

This show is terrible. I cannot find ANYTHING that I enjoy about it. Dont get me wrong, the concept is good, it was fantastic when the BBC did it but, like everything else, the Americans killed it.

The American verision of the office is just not as funny, it's not as clever and the humour is no where near as sophisticated. There are very few American comedies I enjoy and this certainly is not one of them. I gave this show a chance, I tried to like it but it's just painful. It's aimed at the lowest common denominator so it's quite depressing that it has been so popular...

I would rather lick a cheese grater than watch this show.
  • A crappy rip off of a truely original show

While i am a major fan of the original english office i am not a fan of this, i doesn't have the spark of the original, and isn't good there is an akwardness about this show which the original never had and i hate it, i usually love steve correl however this show just turned me so far off him i couldn't believe, the rest of the cast are just not that interesting and as a whole this show like i said above is just a cheap crappy rip off of the original for god sake how many writeres are in ameraca has even one of them ever had an original idea.
  • Amazing! But not the show. The show is awful!

Ok, I have seen enough from it. Worst time I've ever spent on my life was giving this enough chances. I would love to give it a zero, but that's not possible anymore. Unwatchable, I don't know how can people get entertained with it. All the ingredients for disaster seem baked right in. Apparently, somebody sneaked and changed that recipe long ago, because is one of the most watched sit-coms on the US. This sums up perfectly what people want most out of their television nowadays: constant stupidity from people who are too dead-like to be in the slightest funny. That's the reason why there is no typical laugh tracks, because nobody would be at least chuckling. Steve Carrell plays the annoying boss in an office full of idiots, slobs, and jerks. And while the documentary style has worked before and extremely well, it only makes you want to die in this one. If a show really is that abominably shallow, complete dullness, tasteless, painful and moronic, it probably won't get canned, while the most terrific show is lucky to last 3 seasons!

Unbelievably bad, I have no choice but to see USA as a nation of bumbling idiots for the way this show does over-the-top, lunatic things for just "being funny". Or for the way they just stand there and do nothing. So terrible that all the "comedy" is based on WTF moments and the employees staring like idiots, 'oh, look at his face, it was priceless! Best show ever!'. Pathetic, really. Is just so slow and retarded; painfully unfunny. Oh yeah, and the worst is, I watched this show with high expectations wanting to like it as it is rated so high. It may even be exciting to watch... Hell no! It digraced my screen. But hey, whatever. Enjoy watching people on a workplace, and pretend it to be funny. And no, I don't even care if it is a poor remake, because it is a poor everything. I hope this nightmare ends anytime soon, cancelled-wise.

Let's the thumbs down come!!! Unless you are with me! ;)
  • Obviously not looking for anything positive here...

Often I am stuck with The Office on our T.V. as my husband likes it, and because I love him, I put up with it. Not to long ago, there was an episode about Michael dating Pam's mom, "an older woman". It was highly insulting to those of us that do have younger relationships that just so happen to work! The show is one of the worse parts of our society and amazing enough, people in this day and age think stupid is funny. Sadly - the way they are in this show, hits way too close to home nowadays and that is the part that is hard to see. No thankS. Funny can come in other ways... My integrity can not be a part of it, good thing there is an off switch.
  • I wish we could see the British version

1.5
    I have tried to watch'The Office" several times but alas, withing three to four minutes I am apt to change the channel.Why? because this show still makes me scratch my head every time I try to understand it. It behoves me to try to figure out who actually watches this sitcom day in and day out.There is no intelligence in here.it seems like it's really an "Ode to Stupidity? If so, by my word, let it be so. What I cannot fathom is how down and stupid it gets most of the time.It basically does not bring anything new to the table.It keeps repeating the motions of all these characters who are true to their form without allowing them to grow and learn.

I think I will stop trying to understand this show altogether.
  • Not funny, not original, not...

2.5
    This is a terrible version of great show. As an American, I must say we are done, we are out of original ideas. All we can do at this point is remake something that was great as the original and ruin it, ie: The Office.

Carrell is not just bad, he SUCKS. "He is as funny as a crutch, Rich." Potsie was funnier in his worst day. Take Scrubs, which is hilarious, away from NBC and they have nothing even remotely funny. Network TV is done and Cable is king. The only original TV is on Cable, HBO, etc.

I've watched two episodes and I will give it one more try. People have said it takes time to create e characters, story lines, etc. Not his dog. Let's just shoot it and put it out of its misery.

I'll watch reruns of the old show and be happy.

And Greg Daniels, what the hell happened to you? You've gone from the Simpson's to King of the Hill, to this trite? I guess ever batter has to strike out sometime.
  • I dont get it.

I know that i am probably the minority not only on this board but in the country but i can't stand this show!i've watched several episodes and have tried to like it, as most people rave about it, but i just dont find it funny. actually i am not into mocumentary things in general so maybe that has something to do with it in general i love steve carrell but i just think his role in this show makes him appear dumb. i dont know i guess that this is just one of those shows where either you get the comedy or you dont. and i just dont.
  • Once again a remake

Although its an okay show, i just dont get it why there had to be a remake for the american market. The original British "Office" is waaaaaaaaaaaay better. Shows again that a lot of people dont get subtle humor. It's a shame all the work the two writers/friends who created the original serie wont get the recognition they should have got, a lot of people probably even think that this isn't a remake but an original serie. I would love to see how the American public would react if they saw a remake from lets say Friends. Shame,a damn shame.
  • this show is a show not worth watching. I could have spent my time going through black temple getting better gear. total waste of time.

This show was a complete waste of my time, in the 30 freaking minutes i spent watching it i could have been playing World of Warcraft. NBC is complte trash compared to WoW. I would totally dominate anyone in NBC in tyhe arena, my death knight damitrov on korgath would beat all of you noobs. if you wanna trade pics sometime just wisp me sometime. btw i am totally looking for a new guild. dread totally sucks me all day. i comletely carry them through every raid and everything. I think it is about time i made me a BLT to eat, they are really delicoious almost as good as some world of warcraft. so catch u laterz dawg.
  • Overrated.

2.5
    This show is so overwhelming popular, and I don't get why. Not to offend the fans, cause I've got friends that watch it, people complain that the presidental canidate debates interrupted it, it's just so popular. But, wait...it's suppossed to be a comedy? Seriously??? I've given this show a chance...infact more than one. I've watched about 5 or 6 full episodes of this show and not laughed one or even found anything mildly amusing for that matter. I'm usually a big fan of comedies in this time of wayyy too many reality shows, but I'll pass on The Office. After watching it 5 or 6 times, I'm convinced when it's on, there's something resembling actual comedy on another channel.
  • I love comedy.

I love any type of comedy, except for vaudeville (uncle milty blows) and comedy that is unfunny (the office). This comedy show is second only to curb your enthusiasm in wasting every opportunity for a good laugh.
    The writers, producers, and director of this show need to understand that putting normal people in unusual, bizarre, or abnormal situations can be funny. The reverse is not true. Steve Carell can not carry a show. He should look characters similiar to his roll in anchor man, incidentally his best work, I guess because he wasn't actually acting.
    It's not that this show is bad. It's that this show is so bad that it makes me want to stick my finger through my eye, into my brain, and swirl it around. This show could be easily fixed by someone in charge reading through a Dilbert book. But keep in mind that a pointy haired troll isn't much of a main character.
  • The Office is done.

Alright. Everyone knows The Office has fallen off since it's height during Season 2/3. Sure, ruining the drama between Jim and Pam was a big part of that. There hasn't been an actual story arc that people care about for a while. And now, it's really just fallen back on the ridiculous. Michael Scott has run out of comedy. The times when they just make him be utterly unbelievable and ridiculous are the weakest points of the show. The Office was originally founded on pointing out the humor that could take place in real offices, but not anymore obviously. I didn't laugh once at this episode. Now even Jim has been reduced to a character that has to dress up and be totally unbelievable to be "funny". I hope Michael Scott does leave the show. I think it'd be better for it.
  • a sad and disappointing remake of a british classic painfull to watch. They dont know what they are doing how they think this is comedy .If i had to sum this up in one word i would say crap

1.3
    where do start maby a the predictableness of the script or the the or the falior to live up to the unbeliveable british sereis. The actors dont know what thet are doing they seem colrmless they are hollow im british and i no what good comedy is americans you there is such thing as a bad review. Its a crime to remake classic comedy i dont know how you can watch this like all u.s comedys you dicided to watch it well it made me want hang myself this realy doesnt deserve a review but ill give you one just to put you out your misery dont watch this a waste of half an hour this is warning dont put yourself through this pain.
  • GET A LIFE

4.5
    the english version is a classic. It's amazing.
    It's very funny and also very sad.
    Why can't the U.S.A just enjoy the english version instead of having to make there own version.
    Sad.
    Just because America havn't ever beat there Cheers/Seinfeld/and fist three seasons of friends classic era they have to steal ours.
  • Doesn't even come close to comparing with the British version!

1.1
    One of the funniest British shows on television gets turned into an americanised version which not only has the same name and format but has:

- same characters
    - same downsizing plot
    - same jokes!

The last one mention is probably the worst since, while the show was inspired by the British version, using the same gags such as the stapler in the jelly is just stealing scenes from the original and proves that the show couldn't be pulled off if it was one that had never been done.

I also think that just because the British version had downsizing, didn't mean that the american version couldn't do something different and make it a separate program!

All in all, this show should never have been made and is one of the few comedies that I will never give another chance.
  • I don't like this show

1.8
    Whoever thought The Office US can hold a candle to its British predecessor, thought wrong. OMG, this show sucks. It is not funny, people. It is a clear example of what happens when an American thinks he can improve British humor. British humor cannot be improved, it's a different league. There's really nothing more I can say about it, but I have to fill this up to a 100 words. I'm thinking of another example of a British show gone American, but I can't think of any. The other way round doesn't work either: think Coupling / Friends. Although, maybe it's my sense of humor that's the problem.
  • I get that it is localized for the U.S. I don't get lack of introducing more U.S. workplace themes.

2.2
    Should have done more to fill in regional flavor. Lots more HR laws junk here in the U.S. Wish I had not wathced the UK version which had fresher actors - more inside humor. I think they picked the wrong elements of the plot to translate. They should have let the characters evolve more of their own personality in the U.S version
  • A show about working at the office, that is just great, but I have never really watched it before, but have heard that it is pretty funny.

5.5
    I think that I might just watch this show, by all the people who have talked about, Im gonna buy the season dvd or somethng and watch it from the start and see if I like it. It looks like a pretty good show, but you never know, I see alot of parodys of the show that make fun of it, but I will give it a chance and heck maybe i'll like it and it'll be one of my favorite shows in the world who knows. So I give this show a thumbs up just from the apperance of it.
  • How long will this last...?

0.7
    Uh...somebody explain to me why this is considered funny. I really don't get it. I've tried watching it and folks, it isn't funny. Not at all. Not even a half smirk! I even tried laughing to maybe prime the laughter pump. Nope. No good!

Look, I love crazy, off beat humor. Monty Python is my favorite. I'm no stranger to strange comedy. The Office? Sorry, don't get it. Not funny. That's all.

If you happen to like it, watch it while you can because I can't see how a show with a theme like this won't grow old fast and get axed from the lineup.

So to you The Office fans, enjoy....now back to My Name Is Earl!!!
  • OMG...what a waste!! Being a English Office fan I knew the American vesion couldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t be half as good but never could I imagen it being THIS bad! Guess thats why we only had three episodes on Australian tv. Sorry, Ricky Gervais... your first

1.2
    OMG...what a waste!! Being a English Office fan I knew the American vesion couldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t be half as good but never could I imagen it being THIS bad! Guess thats why we only had three episodes on Australian tv. Sorry, Ricky Gervais... your first vissible FLOP!!! hope to see some English stuff from you soon, you DO know how to work it! At least English humor makes you laugh......
  • I watched the new one today. With the different manager. I am not happy with him but he is better than the original one. I didn't mind him in the Movies but not in this show. I love the guy who use to be in the lawyer shower who is the big boss. I thought he would be the manager … wish there were more of him. Love him. .

I watched the new one today. With the different manager. I am not happy with him but he is better than the original one. I do not mind him in the Movies but not in this show. I love the guy who use to be in the lawyer shower who is the big boss. I thought he would be the manager and we would see more of him … wish there were more of him. Love him.

• Took out the pathos and inserted hammy American acting.

4.2
    The summary of my review says everything, but in order to fill up the space I will have to repeat it in differemnt words.

Rickey Gervais is brilliant and subtle, as are all of the British actors. I am not trying to negate the other actors; they are all excellent. Watching the American version is painful, as the marginal actors ham it up with obvious sidelong glances to the camera, overly long pauses, forced stammering, etc.

Also, the original version is funny because it is a window into the sadness of these people, and in turn us. They aren't simply laughable buffoons, they are people that we actually care about. When they writhe uncomforatbly, we laugh at them AND with them.

If you disagree with me, you are wrong. There is no discussion about it.

• No really why did i watch that?!

The show is completely out of focus. I understood what the show was aiming for: a show about nothing and documenting it. They used the office to promote the idea that it's about a nothing show also the office work space symbolizes the plain and ordinary atmosphere, a place where nothing can go wrong (Except someone walking in occasionally with a shotgun and going on a killing spree). But why would anybody want to do it in a documentary kind of way?! It might seem original to some people but really, it's plainly the worst idea ever. Combining the two is probably one of the most ridiculous ideas NBC had in the past few years. Let me explain: there is one think making a show about nothing but documenting nothing?! Nobody would be interested in that. Take for example the most successful nothing show, "Seinfeld". Do you think it was a "about nothing show"?! Because last time I recall I haven't been around anybody as crazy as Kramer and winey as George. I can go on and on how Seinfeld is one of the cleverest shows there ever was by giving the audience a feeling that: "this is a ordinary life". But to whoever watched the show and has a brain clearly realizes that it was only a "feeling". (By the way calling Seinfeld a about nothing show is one of the most successful scams ever on TV.)

Taking it to the next level by creating a real nothing show (which we proved there never was) and documenting it. Combining the two worst ideas that a sitcom would be based on:
    One: because real life isn't that funny
    Two: because documenting nothing has no propose. And it does not add any level of comedy. In my opinion this is the worst successful sitcom ever. Ever. Yes even worse than How I Met Your Mother"
  • Make it stop!

I have given this show more chances than is allowed by my viewing standards. The hype and then the time slot change are an act of desperation in my opinion. It’s a love it or hate it show from some I have spoken to. It has no longevity potential in my book.
  • Watching this show has furthered my confusion as to why the British shows end up being re-created for American viewing.

1.3
    Ok im going to cut to the chase and keep this review short. I live in England, i have seen the Office over here, the Original British series based in Slough featuring Ricky Gervais and that is BRILLIANT!!! Absolutely fantastic but this pathetic re-make is all thats wrong with television. I dont understand why the Americans mainly get the British shows re-created with American plots and actors, but shows like Frasier, Friends, Scrubs, Cheers, 24 etc all come over here in their originality!

Like with the American adaptation of \"Cracker\", now theres only one Cracker with Robbie Coltrane, but i view the American model and theres an American telling Scottish jokes in a New York accent.

Sorry this is all thats wrong with television.
  • I apologize for offending anyone, but I do not like this show and I can't believe it survived.

This show is something I personelly can't get into. To me it's just immature. From what I've seen the actors don't act their age. It just seems to be a complete waste of time. I mean I remember comedy when comedy was comedy. How did we get to this state to where we think this is funny. I much rather watch something funny like "two and a half men". I don't maybe if I gave the show a chance I would, but it just doesn't look interesting to me. But, anyway that's all I have to say on the subject.
  • Awful, Awful, Awful. Why did they bother?

0.7
    While the British version of The Office is hysterical and absolutely must see viewing, the American version is, I'm afraid, an absolute waste of space. The British version is sarcastic, cynical and brilliant. The American version would love to be those things, but ends up looking like a sloppy second with no talent. No offence, but American comedies do not do cynicism well. Stick to sitcoms, which you are brilliant at! The Office is not a sitcom, was never meant to be, but is stuck with American producers who are trying to make it that. Painful viewing, I literally had to turn it off, which I have never done before.
  • Awful compared to the UK version, the original show was great because of the genius that is Ricky Gervais. Take that away and this show is unfunny

1.1
    Awful compared to the UK version, the original show was great because of the genius that is Ricky Gervais. Take that away and this show is unfunny.

I advise you all to watch the UK version then re-write your reviews! Ricky Gervais makes the show, i don\'t see the point in creating another version. It\'s like going to watch a fake Elvis or a Beatles tribute band, its not the real thing so dont bother.

I can understand you thinking this is great as it seems original and vaguely funny if you didnt see the UK version but they definately simplified it in this version and had to make the jokes more obvious which ruins it.

A cheap imitation!
  • Absolutely the worse show that have I ever saw on TV. If possible I give this one a big 0.0

1.3
    This is no comedy its just the worse program that has been on TV since what ever I just can’t put into words how bad this is. I don’t know how the rate on this can be high I just hate this program. It is so dumb not even funny. There is dumb and funny but this one is the worse in my book.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10