The Office

Shareholder Meeting

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Nov 19, 2009 on NBC

• DMI stands for mornos dummies and idiots

This was sort of a follow up from the previous episode and arc for the next few ones. Michael is invited to the shareholder meeting where he takes Andy, Oscar, and Dwight. The ride with the four had going to and from the meeting was very entertaining. It remained me a little bit of the Canada episode from the previous season only that time Dwight wasn't included. This time might have been even better. I really enjoyed Oscar's line about being a shareholder in Dunder-Milfflin. He was better then usual which is normally very good. This is a small part but the man playing the CEO was a great choice. I also enjoyed how Michael did the spin after he made the big speech with lots of promises. One of my favorite parts was after Michael was criticized for being himself, he took off with Dwight, Andy, and Oscar. I only wish that during the shareholder meeting that Jan would've been there or someone would've asked about Ryan.

Speaking of Ryan, partly due to an e-mail he sent everyone in the office, everyone thinks that Jim doesn't have the same power as Michael. How Ryan handled the assignment that Jim gave to him remained me a little from season 5 when he ducked out of trying to make copies when he was with the Michael Scott Paper Company. I loved how Jim punished Ryan and how everyone saw.

This was another rose episode that was maybe a little behind the last one.
  • Fonzie's starting up the boat

While Season 6 has picked up significantly from Season 5, there is one underlying theme that must end. This can no longer be a show about how an 8 year old runs an office and works in a company environment. I don't care how good the sales are. Michael Scott's buffoonery has reached new levels and there has to be a way to write this show so that his moments aren't as significant to the overall 22 minute episodes. Cold open was fantastic, they used computer effects to season 2 and even brought back the lady that was the receptionist for a month some years ago, and it worked well. Thanks for the extra effort.

Hopefully Oscar figures out the plan to fix things without the stares of the executives and especially when he's not so nervous.

Plus lets find out more specifically how DMI is down so much. If its everyone but Scranton, let's find out why. Still recovering from Ryan as VP, other branches not selling, tell us Mr Wallace what's going on.

Andy and Oscar were great, and Dwight slowly falling further behind in line was another great extra that they didn't need to do but still chose to.

Let's also hope we don't get a Jim vs Michael war where Ryan is the starting point.

I have been very loyal to this show but more of Michael insisting on talking in public because he can and humiliating himself over and over again needs to stop. If watching someone making a fool out of himself is the joke and what fans like seeing, then maybe i should see a psychiatrist because i don't get it.

Thanks

5.5
    This episode reminded me a bit of "Dwight's Speech" from season 2 but this of course was nothing compared in quality. Nothing much happened here, Michael acted like an idiot as usual, and nothing was really resolved on the Dunder Miflin going bankrupt front. Jim enforcing rules as co-manager was quite annoying, and anytime he tries to step in and be boss, it's quite annoying. Jim should honestly be demoted to salesman, him being co-manager isn't doing this show any favors.

A pretty forgettable episode overall, the only time I recall laughing was the cold opening with recyclops but that's about it. Another weak episode of The Office, things aren't looking up.
  • Field trips from the office are generally fun

Dwights Recyclops opening sequence was one of the best ones he's had since he taught the office fire safety. Loved it.

The beginning of the episode was great with Michael figuring out how he was going to address the shareholders at the meeting, although after watching it I didn't know what he was really doing there besides the explanation that he was one of the managers keeping the company afloat. The limo scene was hilarious while they were all riding into the shareholders meeting and then stole it as they ran out of the meeting.

Dwight's question could have been a lot better after the 10 minute build up of him standing in line and waiting, but overall I think that it was an episode that was comparable to the Business Trip episode with Oscar. Pretty good, but still waiting for the punch that the beginning episodes of season six brought.
  • I actually liked this episode...

The cold open was a nice touch with Dwight's character. It also made me chuckle few times. After some few duds episodes, I think The Office is picking up this season. Michael Scott is on the character than ever. The flow of the story entertain me. Though, my complain is that the characters Andy and Oscar are not used enough, they can be very useful. But other than that, is one the best one this season! In this installment, Michael always steal my attention, and he's actually really funny! Watch out Alec Baldwin! In the b-plot, the story between Ryan and Jim is not developed enough, but it's fun to watch! Outstanding Episode for a while.

God, I really wish "The Office" really picks up from now on..
  • Michael is invited to a shareholder meeting and gets himself in a bit of trouble. Meanwhile, at Scranton, Jim tries to find a solution for Ryan's laziness.

A little darkness, plot advancement, and of course, the hilarious ridiculous antics from all of the characters made "Shareholder Meeting" a perfect episode. Shareholder Meeting was a different type of episode; it had serious plot advancement that took it over. That was good because it made the episode exciting and suspenseful. Some high points include Michael talking to the security guards, the shareholders booing at the company, Michael making a 45 Day, 45 Point program, and Michael telling the congressman he is not an idiot because he has won "17 Dundie Awards." Oscar also struggling to tell David Wallace (CFO), the CEO, ect. about his ideas to get the company out of the rut was a good part of this episode. Jim telling Ryan to go work in the closet while proving to the office that he was as much of a manager as Michael was a well-written, funny moment. Phyllis saying, "I'm plastered," was hilarious. If there is one complaint for the episode, it's the Recyclops cold open. The continuity was off and it was too forced. NBC shouldn't make the office follow the green week; the show takes place in a paper company! Anyway, Shareholder Meeting was a great episode with the exception of the cold open, and it brings up a question: Is this the beginning of the end?
  • Michael is invited to a shareholders meeting as Jim has to deal with people thinking he has less power in the office than Michael.

This week was another solid outing for the crew in the office with some very funny set ups as well what is brewing as a great story arc that will be around for many eps to come. Once again, like murder mystery, the bit players are getting a bigger part to play that makes for a far more entertaining ep.

This week Michael has been invited to the shareholders meeting as the best manager in the company. He is told to simply wave but we all know that Michael will have a bigger part to play. When a limo comes to pick him up he decides that he wants to share the experience and invites members of the office along to join him at the meeting. Dwight, Andy and Oscar tag along in the limo. Michael is given a shock once at the meeting when he sees that no one is happy with Dunder Mifflin for their current situation. Michael manages to make things worse when he promises the crowd a plan when the Dunder Mifflin bosses don't have one.

Meanwhile, back at the office Jim is having a problem with Ryan. He wants him to do a job but Ryan doesn't see the point as the company is going under. Ryan then spreads a rumour that Jim has less power than Michael and can't even fire people. Jim now wants to make an example of Ryan and regain the respect of people in the office.

Both stories have their moments without ever really being hilarious. But the strength of this ep lies with Michael's story arc and how he can't understand how bad a shape the company is in as he is producing record sales figures. A more toned down Michael seems to work far better than a Michael who tries to steal the show at every turn.
  • Michael goes to the DM shareholder meet...

5.3
    This was yet another 'please feel sorry for Michael Scott' episode. To roll back and think about it, this definitely wasn't funny, it did have a good storyline with a decent progression, and the writers could have struck a balance between goofiness and seriousness.

I was expecting a story more on the lines where Michael or Oscar come up with a plan to save Dunder Mifflin. I mean it would have been really dramatic, and would have made a good Wall Street type drama. But, again it would have crossed the line of believability, and somehow Michael calling the senator a moron provided a good alternative. The other story this time, the one with Jim running the office was a flat one. Pretty much looked like season 5 where nothing, absolutely nothing happens.

Could have been done better.
  • Michael is invited to wave, not speak, at the shareholder's meeting.

Although I scored this episode higher than the average installment of The Office, it was not funny at all. Honestly, I did not laugh once, outside of maybe the brief glimpse of Creed on screen.

Why I did give the episode a fairly moderate score is because it was a well put together story. This episode was filled with real-life office problems such as angry stockholders, disobedient employees (Ryan) and for the first time in a few weeks was a show true to its name, revolving around a company.

Of course, the stuff with Dwight in the beginning through all that out the window. I understand that this is not an actual documentary, but come on, nobody is going to work in a costume and destroying things and facing no repercussions.
  • Excellent. After a few episodes of dipping downward in quality, this brings it back.

Shareholders Meeting feels A LOT more like where the first three episodes left off. After having a little dip in quality, focusing on Pam and Jim's wedding and Michael's relationship with Pam's mom that ended up being one clunker of a plot, the show seems to be getting back on track. The main plot was great, and even the side plot, with Jim and Ryan, was pretty good. There was very little that seemed unbelievable in the episode, no delusions of Mafia members, dating employees' moms or murder mystery games.. well there was Recyclops, but with Dwight, it's always been a bit strange.

The great thing about the episode was how low-key it was. Andy and Dwight were never over the top, fighting each other to do the most crazy thing. Michael was tepid compared to past episodes, and Jim was able to grow a little, showing that he has the same amount of power as Michael in his own way. For the first time, I saw Jim as a boss.

Michael stole the show, at least for me.. giving the motivational speech and claiming to have a 45 point/1 point a day plan for Dunder Mifflin, not knowing there's a difference between a spin and a twirl, bringing up his seventeen Dundies.. Awesome stuff. And any episode that gives Oscar a chance to shine is pretty good in my eyes as well.

I'm glad The Office provided a good episode. Lately, I've found myself laughing more at Parks and Recreation episodes, and with this episode, I was reminded of what made The Office great in the first place: realism with a tiny bit of wackiness sprinkled over it.
PDA