The Office

The Carpet

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jan 26, 2006 on NBC

• Michael has a stain on his carpet

Another fine episode from this series. My only complaint about this episode was that you never got to find out what the stain actually was. Maybe it's because I like having answers and this is not a show you put theories on. However then again maybe it's better you don't find out. I also thought that maybe Michael acted too childish even for him. He was still very funny in this episode. He had some good moments. When he suggested that him and Jim be desk buddies (no it's really okay) Also when he pushed Kevin into his office and shut the door. You also get to see his people skills when Dwight messed up a potential sales call (due to Michael's advice). It was not only funny but shows that Michael is actually a good worker.

Also funny were when Michael went to his temporary desk and Kelly talked his head off. Check out the deleted scene that tells you more about this. It's pretty funny. Like many things in season 2, this was another start of something This time it's the first step to Kelly and Ryan. Another small detail I liked is when Michael and Dwight raided accounting, check out the scene between Dwight and Angela.

The producers did a good job of fooling you that Jim and Pam had tension between them. That is until the ending. It might have been one of the sweeter endings at this point in the series.

This episode was pretty good, I felt as though the only reason why everyone loved it so much was because of the Jim & Pam development, but other than that, this wasn't the best episode, didn't get much laughs from this episode this week, but it had a very good ending.

Some memorable moments would definitely have to be Kelly annoying Jim, Pam leaving seven messages for Jim by the end of the day, and finally the cold opening in which Michael finds the thing in his office.

I never liked Todd Packer, I don't think anyone did, so having him as the person who put the thing in Michael's office was quite anti-climactic. I would have enjoyed it more if it was someone in the office. Good episode overall.
  • why i watch this show

When someone deposits a malodorous substance on the carpet in Michael's office, he spends the day at Jim's desk, relegating Jim to a back room with Kelly. Michael institutes a sales contest, promising $100 to the person who racks up the most sales that day.

At his temporary new desk, Jim suffers Kelly's constant chattering. She asks Jim to hook her up with Ryan. Jim continues to yearn for Pam, but her fiancé, Roy, is in the office replacing the carpet along with Darryl, and Jim is unable to speak with her. Interestingly, while exiled in the back of the room, Jim makes an awkward (but later revealed to be a successful) attempt to ask Brenda, who joined the office on the Booze Cruise, out on a date.

As the day wears on, Michael becomes convinced that what happened to his office is a hate crime and an act of terrorism. Believing it to be done by someone in the office, he begins to lose his faith in his employees, who he considers his "friends". But his mood changes drastically when he finds out the object in his office was actually left there by his "Best Friend Forever", Todd Packer. Michael instantly finds the joke hilarious, and his faith in his friends is restored. It is never revealed what the substance Todd left on the carpet is, but it can be seen in one shot, and it appears to be feces of some sort.
  • When someone leaves a disgusting surprise in Michael's office, he takes over Jim's desk for the day while his carpet is replaced, and Jim moves to the back with Kelly.

This episode is a classic example of how heartbreaking "The Office" can be even at its most hilarious. First, Michael, who's been in a sense exiled from his co-workers by his position of authority, delights in the chance to re-join them on the floor for the day even as he worries that they all hate him, and one left the mess in his office. When his old boss gives him the advice to keep his friends, family, and work inferiors separate, we can see from the look on Michael's face that the people at Dunder-Mifflin are the closest he has to friends, and we know from previous episodes that he doesn't have much family. This is why it's so impossible to hate Michael Scott, no matter what stupid and insensitive stuff he does. Second, Jim was looking forward to re-uniting with Pam after her vacation, but instead found himself exiled to the back of the office and forced to watch her flirt with Roy, who she seems closer to than ever. He found himself counseling Kelly on her hopes for an office romance, even as his dreams of Pam are seeming more and more impossible.

When both find their fears relaxed in the end, it's incredibly sweet (even though Michael learns that the closest thing he has to a friend outside the office, Todd Packer, is the one who left "the package," he's relieved that it wasn't someone out to get him).
  • "You know, I'm starting to think that what happened in my office was an act of terrorism. It's the only thing that makes any sense."

Someone puts something smelly on Michael's carpet in his office. Michael is very upset and will not let it go - he is convinced that one of his employees did it. Meanwhile, Pam is out and Jim is longing for her. Michael moves to Jim's desk for the day and Jim sits by Kelly. Kelly starts chatting with Jim and asks him to hook her up with Ryan (the temp). Michael is still angry at this point and is convinced that what happened to his carpet was an act of terrorism or a hate crime. However, after he gets a call from his "BFF" Todd Packer and finds out that HE did it, Michael's mood changes drastically. Later, Jim checks his voice mail to find messages from Pam.

While this is not one of my favorite episodes, it is still good. What I don't like about this is that Michael is TOO obnoxious and annoying. Usually, Michael is obnoxious, selfish, annoying, sexist, etc., but he has sort of a likeable quality to him. In this episode, he is just plain annoying.

Overall, it's a good and funny episode, but not the highlight of the season.
  • Awesome!!

What a great episode. We confirm that Michael is so eager to be loved, that he actually gets his feelings hurt thinking that someone might dislike him. I almost felt sorry for him when he was talking to the former Regional Manager, who told Michael, \"you cant be a boss and a friend\", which Michael disagreed with.

I thought this episode is where the character of Kelly was introduced as a strong character. The Kelly/Ryan thing is great, and Ryan never ceases to impress. I have a deep love for the character of Todd Packer, even though he was not in this episode, I think he stole this episode at the end.
  • I can't add much to the episode summary already provided by this site. See the full review for some of my favorite parts of this episode.

In the Christmas episode, we learned that Oscar knew very little about Creed other than that is his name. Now we see Creed and Oscar actually talking and joking about Michael's office together. It's good to see other relationships developing among the characters.

The episode was ended beautifully with the voicemail messages from Pam to Jim. All along, we're led to believe that following Pam and Roy's vacation that Pam was content with Roy and no longer interested in Jim. The proves not to be the case. The romance lives!

I failed to catch it until the second viewing. When Jim takes the desk next to Kelly, she mentions that Tobey had the desk but had to move due to an allergic reaction to the desk. He obviously made up that excuse to get away from Kelly. Apparently Jim was just as quick as me, and didn't read that situation quickly enough.
  • That's not what a hate crime is...

The only reason this didn't get a 10 from me is because "The Injury" set the bar so high.

The opening sequence of the show had me rolling. Ryan - "Jim's been looking at me ... alot. It would creep me out, but it's nothing compared to the way Michael looks at me."

Creed's question "Is somebody making soup?" Jim's expression when Kelly starts yacking, Jim doing the Jr. High messenger role for Kelly & Ryan, Michael starting the sales contest & then retracting it, all hilarious.

I'm glad to hear this show got renewed (although I'm saddened that this season is ending early).
  • Wait, hold on a second, did a commedy show almost pull a tear or two away from me... what?

The whole love triangle on the show is beyond awesome. At first, it was an average pair of people put together that makes somewhat funny, but cute, segments...

but now, it's far more than just an average love triangle thing... the ending last night after all show for fealing bad for this guy made you say... awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

o, and it was pretty funny as usual last night too.. the whole "I enjoy anything done by Joe Roegan" made laugh for a while...
  • When I grow up...

This episode wasn't the best one yet, in my opinion, but it was definitely amazing. I'll say the reason this wasn't number 1 for me was because there was very little interaction between Jim and Pam, and I watch the show almost mainly because of them.

While watching BBCs The Office, I loved when Tim and Dawn hooked up. Since I like Pam and Jim more than I liked Tim and Dawn, I can't wait even more for it, so I like the episodes where they have an epiphony type thing (Like in Booze Cruise when they're standing outside together).

While watching this episode, I thought it was going to be the worst. Despite the funniest story line yet of someone soiling Michael's carpet, I just felt too sorry for Jim. A large part of the episode was to show us that without Pam, Jim is hopeless. This was utter torture for me.

The best part of the episode was at the end, when we got to hear all of Pam's messages. Without that ending, I would have felt so bad for Jim, and would have had to turn my TV off and go to sleep.

If I had one suggestion, it would be to hurry up and hook Jim and Pam up already!
  • My wife calls me a girl, becuase I am so into the Pam/Jim story line.

The Office is the greatest show. The storyline, the acting, etc is all amazing.

I thought this was a great episode. The only thing is I think they need to slow down with some of the office romance. I wonder how the dynamic of the show would change if Kelly and "The Temp" started dating. I like the Brenda twist. I went back and re-watched the "Booze Cruise". She is very cute. I bet it would really make Pam jealous, All along she jealous of Katy, but it was almost like she knew that Katy was not Jim’s type and that in wouldn't work out. Brenda seems more sophisticated. Although I'd like to see Pam and Jim together, that would be bad for the show. You would lose the flirtation between the two and it would…well just be bad. The series finale should be the two of them wind up together.

I make this prediction now...When Jim and Pam finally hook up, The Office, officially jumps the shark.
  • Best ending yet.

Alright, I admit... I've held off investing too much interest into the Jim and Pam storyline, because (in my opinion) you can not top the way that kind of infatuation was handled on MOONLIGHTING.

That's what I used to think.

Now I don't know what I think.

The Carpet's ending caught me off guard. I'm stunned and I'm very impressed that a half hour show can sun me. What great writing.

Also... hats off to Steve Carell for pushing himself as an actor. His transformation at the end when he realized why he was the recipient of "the gift"... his whole demeanor shifted and I actually felt his relief.

• A great episode completely in the vein of The Office. Hilariously inappropriate hijinx coupled with a deeper undercurrent.

I really liked this episode and it featured many laugh out loud moments for me, many of Michael's video diary parts come to mind ("It's terrorism against the office, that's the only explanation"). As with most episodes of The Office there are lots of excruciating bits, like when Michael and Dwight 'raid' accounting. Similarly, there is that nice emotional undertone to the episode where it's clear that Jim still harbours feelings for Pam and it's touching to see his day spent away from his desk. The scene at the end where he listens to voice mail from her was also really nice and shows the depth of their friendship.

Overall, a good episode that fit the bill for the series. What a shame they will be ending it early in March! Not a perfect score because I can recall better episodes in the series so far, such as Office Olympics.