The Office

The Dundies

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Sep 20, 2005 on NBC

• Michael holds an award ceremony and acts very goofy while Pam becomes very drunk and has a fight with Roy.

Wow. This show was terrible. The characters were reduced to stereotypes and the plot was in the realm of rediculous. The idea is funny, but the awkwardness was gone. Michael was downright hyper and the rest of the staff hated him FAR too much. What made it worse was everyone supporting Michael at the end and having a pseudo good time. What happened to The Office?

For one, far too many characters were interviewed. The plot moved quickly and unfolded like a sitcom as opposed to a documentary. There is no heart in Michael Scott. It is much better when the audience cringes at what he is doing, but at the same time wishes he would shut up and be the good man he must be inside. Plus, Pam was waaaay drunk and acting rediculous in an unattractive way.

The romance between Jim and Pam is moving way too fast. Where is the forbidden office romance I was promised? It works a lot better when it is subtle and realistic, like a real office romance is. But kissing was downright overt and was not dealt with in any way. How long do they expect to tease this thing out?

Plus, the show was already too self-aware. Characters were referred to in ways that indicated we knew them and had discovered all thier eccentricities. But this is onlt the seventh episode. We need time to figure out what these characters are like and to laugh at the inside joke when Mike says that Phyllis is uptight. I get the joke, but it seemed far too spelled out.

This show needs to relax and ground itself in reality before it can go into rediculous forays such as this. Mike was far too wacky with his box of props. It's too staged. It doesn't play as a documentary. It doesn't meander as I expect it to.

This show gets one more episode to prove itself... then I am out.
    =====Disappointing=====