The Office

The Search

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Feb 03, 2011 on NBC

• A surprisingly nice episode of The Office

This will likely be the first and last time you'll hear me write about how The Office was better than Parks this season, but it happened.. This episode started off a little shaky, but it ended up finding its heart halfway through it, and instead of getting a series of random scenes that seemed way too over the top, we got three separate plots that dove-tailed nicely into one another.

It's obvious that Michael and Holly would get together eventually, and I'm not one hundred percent sure if I like how easily they made it for them to reunite, but there's no denying that those two make a great couple.. the little skit about "Fanny Smellmore" and "Orville Tootinbacher" was great and captures their relationship perfectly. The ending was a touching one, even if it was predictable.

And at the office, the plot involving Pam's drawing being used in a caption contest was actually pretty great. Usually, the show has a problem with making all the plots interesting, especially lately, but there was some awesome moments here. Just about every caption that the group came up with, whether it was involving the drawing, Sabre or Gabe, was pitch-perfect, and Creed's reaction to Oscar's caption was typical Creed (and how great was it to see his picture in the chinese restaurant near the end holding a sign that says "Thief?" Perfect Creed moment here, and it didn't even require any words).

The only thing I really didn't like was the cold open. Ryan actually used to be a respectable character, and over time, he's been made into this awful parody of himself. So lame. And what's up with Jim's one scene per episode before disappearing. I don't really understand that. But those are just minor complaints. For the most part, this episode succeeds, and I'm glad, because lately, I've been feeling disappointed by the episodes.