A The Originals Community
Friday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning March 17, 2017)

This week's episode of The Originals, titled"Farewell to Storyville," should have been titled  "Farewell to Claire Holt," because the actress, who's portrayed Original vampire Rebekah Mikaelson on The Vampire Diaries and its subsequent spin-off since 2011, has left the show. According to BuzzFeed, it was entirely Holt's decision to exit, and not a creative decision. Neither Holt nor series creator Julie Plec has commented on the situation. 

In Holt's final episode as a series regular—and there are slight spoilers ahead if you haven't watched it yet!—Rebekah was last seen driving away from New Orleans after being released by her maniacal brother Klaus. Holt's abrupt departure comes as a shock to fans of the series, not only because Rebekah was The Originals' de facto female lead, but because there was absolutely no sign that something like this was coming. 

We'll update if/when more information becomes available. 

thekaitling:list:what-do-you-think-of-claire-holt-leaving-the-originals/

Will you miss Rebekah?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

234 Comments
Comments (234)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
the person playing her now is annoying as hell. sick of her saying bloody in that terrible false accent every line
Flag
Well I'm from the South East in England and that's how we all bloody well say bloody hell! It's not a false accent, it's just how it's said where she's from. My Father is from London and he says it exactly the same too. I was actually more flummoxed with the fact that apparently "w**ker" is a completely acceptable word on american telly, but over here you just couldn't get away with that, it's a fricking swear word... Honestly, I was just relieved for once that they actually got a Brit' to play a Brit'. I mean, have you seen that new "Irish" actor on 2 Broke Girls? I've never heard such a terrible false accent in my life. I love that show, but I want to stab myself in the ear every time he speaks... I think Masie has set into the role of Rebekah quite well and I enjoy her acting style as both Eva and Rebekah, but each to their own :)
Flag
im from England too but its just that she says it in every sentence which annoys me the most
Flag
Ah right, so it's more the over-use than the pronunciation of it I guess. My Ma and her side of the family are all from the States and they find it fascinating that I say bloody... Also bug**r (rhymes with hugger), my cousins find that one particularly hilarious. I think that British people are often over written with popular British phrases to make their characters seem more realistic (to everyone who's not British of course), though to us it just seems exaggerated and false a lot of the time. That being said, I still don't think there's much wrong with her pronunciation. I would, however, like to see some more people with varied accents that aren't the stereotypical, "Can I get you a cup of tea m'lady?". I mean Claire Holt isn't too toff sounding, but I'd love it if we had some Brummies or Scoucers on, or even some Yorkshirmen! That would be bloody (joke) fantastic, don't you think? I'm not sure how many people around the globe would be able to tell they're British though haha! If you want a good one, look up Michael Socha in Once Upon a Time or the original Being Human. His sister, Lauren Socha, is also an actor and was in E4's Misfits. Check 'em out, they've got cracking accents, a pleasure to listen to!
More +
Flag
She is good, but Joseph Morgan is the reason for The Originals. Claire Holt never commits herself to anything. In my opinion, that's unfair to the fans. She might as well stop acting on shows and make indies.
Flag
Ah Claire come on now!!! You can't leave, You cannot leave! Compel yourself not to leave... Damn it, the original brothers without a sister? That's not good
Flag
so sad that Claire got tried and chose leave on her own accord guess two breakout stars can't shine together. Long live my baby princess on a breakout lead role and name cementent.
Flag
Claire I don't understand how you star's can't wait to get your big break and you get it. Then you get the fan's to fall for your character's and then you leave. It just upsets me. I love your character on this show it won't be the same without you. I do love the other's but good luck with your choice....I do believe that you should have stay there for a while at lease...
Flag
Mostly, I think Rebekah will return to Mystic Falls and i hope so much .
Flag
Klaus/The new character Nina will be playing...Damon/Caroline...Stefan/Bonnie.
Flag
They need to get some new plot faaast. I think fast-forwarding into the future might work. When Davina's a little older, the baby's a little older and there can be some new trouble. Vampires probably get bored if someone's not trying to kill them. What do they do? Do they have interests even?
Flag
oops i meant role

Flag
I totally agree
Flag

why don't they just recast the roll
Flag
she wasn't killed off she could always come back someday
Flag
We have to find the 112 people that voted good riddance and torture them to death !!! How dare they !!!
Flag
Well, that's pretty much what she's done to her fans.
Flag
Maybe she misses Matt Donovan too much...
Flag
does anyone know why she left ?? i mean is she going back to TVD or left for good ?
Flag
According to Price, she never signed for a full season and she just didn't want to live in Atlanta anymore.
Flag
Ps... Someone should start a boycott of the show until they bring her back!
Flag
The show will tank without Claire Holt.
Flag
Keep dreaming. Joseph Morgan is The Originals.
Flag
So we went from 7 Originals starting in TVD, down to 3 at the start of TO and now we only 2? Umm...that makes sense.
Flag
I have a feeling ester (excuse the spelling) will be back and maybe kol considering he never crossed over.
Flag
I don't think so. He's going to star in the Supernatural spin off from what I heard.
Flag
She definitely deserves an Oscar for her role in the serie's. I hope she returns. Its mot gonna be the same.
Flag
I can't figure out if you're a troll or just stupid.
Flag
Claire CANNOT leave the set. The Originals will never be the.same without her. And the last time I checked the series was called "The Originals" not Klaus Mikaelson (cuz I 've heard that Daniel also leaves the Originals. You can't destroy the Originals.
Flag
Daniel is not leaving - he has other commitments to other shows, so he sometimes may be missing here and there (like in the first few episodes this season). But he's not leaving. I think Price said this and I keep seeing people misquote him now.
Flag
Does not compute.
Flag
With all due respect, couldn't you change the title to something a little less spoilerish? Some of us don't live in the US and have a different viewing time.
Flag
I was in the same boat I logged on and saw the big giant heading in neon lights and had a little cry because I live in Australia and we are about 3 or 4 episodes behind so I end up downloading most of these shows but they don't come online until 1day after airing in the US so when I saw this I was abit unset that I wasn't able to go on the Rebekah leaving journey with blind ignorance .
Flag
True I read this before I watch and I was saddened. After the episode I realize she needed to go. storywise.
Flag
NNNNNNNnnnnnnnooooooooo!!!!!!
Flag
I hate that Claire Holt has left The Originals but I like the sendoff they gave her. I really liked the scenes that she and Joseph Morgan had when Rebekah and Klaus were talking in the graveyard.
Flag
Currently, it seems this just may be a mutual agreement, as the show didn't have much for her character to do or be right now and she will supposedly guest star in the future, if needed, wanted, and able. As I noted far below, she did seem caught in the middle, or the odd girl out, of other stories and I think her relationship with Marcel seemed forced. There were 22 episodes to be made for this season with 6 left, so we're probably not missing anything more for these not involving her.

She should have just stayed on Vampire Diaries with a crossover guest appearance on The Originals to help kickstart that show. I think they could have better developed her character to be free from klaus and on her own to come into her own Original self. Afterwards, she could just move on to other projects and guest star on VD and The Originals from time to time with possibility for a co-starring permanence on The Originals should they come up with a needed, let alone good, story for her.

The Originals seemed like a good idea at the outset, but from what I've seen thus far, this show was not necessary and/or should have been better thought out before proceeding. I might have preferred Klaus being a recurring role on VD too than this.
More+
Flag
I'm worried about the future of The Originals. The only reason I tune in every week is because of the three leads. Even though the story has improved a lot over the course of the season, it's never been what drew me in. Without Rebekah, I just don't know what the show will do.

Flag
The Originals has been awesome all season, hands down the best new show of the 13-14 season
Flag
Rebekah is the best and this needs to explanation; Claire Holt is superb and I've enjoyed getting to see her alongside Phoebe Tonkin again. This has to change everything right?
Flag
WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!! No! Seriously! No!
Flag
I really think this is just temporary. She must be under a contract. Plus it goes with the story on the show right now. Also neither she nor Julie Plec have commented and Claire Holt is listed as being in 22 episodes on IMDB. How do you have a show about the original vampires with only 2 of them left.
Flag
Well, for the record, it's not like they didn't bring Kol back as a ghost. And it's not like ghosts didn't fully come back to life (see Tess, Esther & Bonnie)

Or in other words "a wizard did it"

But overall, I fail to see the problem with carying on for "The originals" even if they are all wiped out. I mean the vampire diaries hardly shows any diarie these days.

A title's just a title.
Flag
True but in this case the title represents who the show is mainly about. I was actually surprised they didn't somehow bring back Kol. I figured the actor was onto better things and then found out he's cast in the new Supernatural spin off. I thought that was weird
Flag
Well, I originally thought Kol would be back when they dropped the veil (just as The Originals was announced) but truth be told he was an extremely minor character that barely appeared for more than 5 minutes.

In this show it pretty much spells out there weren't enough calls for shirtless hugs from fangirls so they probably just dropped him.

But anyhow, back to the point, the title represents who the show is about? Really? Cause it really doesn't.

I'll remind you that before her identity as their mother Esther, that character was constantly refered to by Klaus as "the original witch" - and she really wasn't that original - Qetsya preceded her - and more importantly they even told how that she learned her magic from another.

So in other words, TVD refered to the Originals as simply the Mikalson family. The viking family that for some unknown reason all have biblical names...

Going by that? You might as well say that the baby is part of the originals. I'm not even getting into stuff like what if either of those get married.
Flag
In the case of this show the title was chosen specifically to draw viewers into a spin off show based on characters already established... The originals. It's right their in the name. Yes there are other characters witches, werewolves, regular vampires but the show was and is based around Klaus... an original.
Flag
The Mikalson family are all the original vampires. Each show has referred to them as so on multiple occasions. Whether or not the past or future mythology writes something that preceeded them or not is irrelevant.
Flag
Why was she allowed out? When you start a show, don't the actors usually sign six year contracts?? Something really weird must be going on for them to let her out so easily.
Flag
Six years for an unproven, brand new show? Basically, I think they start with one season then re-up depending on show renewal and how long the renewal is for. Contracts could also have clauses allowing the show to let them go for whatever justifiable reason or for needed personal reasons on behalf of the actor.
Flag
I am really getting sick and tired of all these bad news. First TVD kills of Katherine and I say to myself that it is OK you still have The Originals and on that show is the most kick ass female vampire, the only one who's better than Katherine that someone is Rebekah Mikaelson, and now they expect me to keep watching both shows after losing two favorite characters in less than a week, well I am very sorry but this is crossing the line. I don't know about everyone else but I have no interest in watching The Originals without my favorite Original so bye bye this is it for me. I have nothing against Hayley or Davinia or Cami but none of them will ever be able to fill Rebekah's shoes. All the excitement I had about the next episode and this show in general died the second I heard this news.
Flag
WHAT THE DAMN HELL?!?!?!?!?!?!
Flag
i will miss Rebekah but klaus daughter will take her role.
Flag
I will miss her character.
I would have liked to see Marcel leave the show.
Flag
Wait wut??? Why? She didn't want the full time job? I mean it's not like she had much of a career before the CW... I'd like to know why she wanted to leave the show.
Flag
I let out a big "WTF!!!!!!" when I read the title. I can't believe my Becks is gone. Hopefully they have another strong female character to take her place. I need my occasional bitchiness in the show.
Flag
A mourning day it is....
Flag
If she would have left during TVD days I wouldn't have cared but it hurts to see her going now.
Flag
Same. I waffled about her on TVD, but she's really grown on me during The Originals, and I'm so disappointed that she's gone.
Flag
My thoughts exactly.
Flag
This show lost me when they redid the pilot, which I liked.
The new version was just less attractive............
I am surprised this show has not been canceled yet.
Flag
Because many more like it than not like it? I think the show is one of the best on TV airing right now. That's my opinion on it.
Flag
Kudos to you for liking it.

The vampire genre gets tiring imho.
Flag
Ohhh! Claire u will be missed,,,,Really!
Flag
WOW. A lot of people have something to say about this, I am not surprised!

I am absolutely mystified! Many others have expressed my thoughts and feelings on this drastic change. Claire's character is easily the most liked (according to me)! She is strong-willed, powerful, a down-right bad-ass and completely beautiful and original, ha!

To be honest when Rebekah was on TVD, she was annoying, but since the Originals started, she has become my favourite character. Pulling out all the stops and showing up just when you want her to, because of her, I actually like the Originals better than TVD, which has a story and plot line that is getting rather old and tiresome.

If Claire is gone, I do hope that she comes back as an occasional guest star and if she is gone for good, I trust that she has done what is best for her and I commend her for that and sincerely wish her the very best. :)

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, her character is a heroine and deserves recognition!
Flag
I don't care for this show at all, but I'm always curious when something like this happens. I'm surprised that her contract even allows her to leave.
Flag
Staff
Contracts can be broken. There's usually a consequence of some sort, of course. It could be monetary, it could be something else. But actors ask to be let out of contracts early all the time. It's certainly not unheard of.
Flag
She'll prob end up in mystic falls sometime in the next season or so.As long as everything with Claire and company are good.And she'll more than likely be back on the OG's,just not every episode.
Flag
Personally I couldn't stand her character. For someone who supposedly has accumulated 1000 years of experience and wisdom, she came across as a rich, arrogant blonde socialite with no academic or professional skills to speak of. How that can be a character young women find compelling is beyond me. Good riddance!
Flag
Damn it!! I thought she would come back or at least get back to Mystic Falls! My heart is broken I did not see that coming!! the show will be much less than fun without her!!!
Flag
I expressed shock. I don't know why Miss Holt left. I have a theory not the tabloid thing. It essence its because Rebekkah was REALLY underused in the show. She's a freaking original and from TVD to here all she gets to be is the baby girl in the family that Klaus in his control freak way has never been allowed out of the house. After what happened now it was either death or set her free meaning leave New Orleans. Death is not an option as Elijah will just dagger Klaus and take care of Hailey. End of the series. So set her free. I hope people can agree with me that Marcel never deserve her. Only option is leave.

that said I think Rebekkah was an awesome character for her to play. it really show her acting skills.

I wonder if a Rebekkah spin-off would work.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest. Wish the best of luck to Miss Claire Holt. I hope you get to play other interesting characters.
Flag
VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS. BLINDSIDED...THE TEARS ARE REAL. Honestly, I'm not sure if I can keep up with the show now. As much as I love Elijah...and Haley...and Marcel, and I do love them...I just don't know. REBEKAH WAS THE SOUL. It doesn't...it can't even be the same show. I'm really, REALLY SO DEVASTATED.
Flag
I think CW really weren't thinking when they renewed Vampire Diaries & The Originals so soon since Katherine has been killed off and Rebekah left the show along with Sophie killed off
Flag
you're right! Katherine and now Rebekah?! Damn it!
Flag
Yeah, I kind of think The Originals' audience rating will drop drastically in the following weeks.
Flag
I am so sad about her leaving. I absolutely love her character and always have. What will they do now? The show is called the origionals . There's only two left from the 5. So sad. Maybe a witch can bring back Kol or flynn. Hope so
Flag
Meh.... Kol and Flynn have never been interesting characters: Flynn only ever wanted to die, and while that may have been in pace with TVD themes, it has no place on TO; Kol just seemed snooze-worthy in the little screen-time he had. Maybe TO could make him interesting, but I don't particularly want him around. Also, if they start bringing Originals back from the dead, then death will really mean nothing in this universe.
Flag
Even if they bring back Kol or Flynn heck; even if they bring back Mikael himself it won't be the same. Flynn was Moppier than shovel-face. Kol was Psycho. Rebekkah was just unique. She could go Psycho when she needs to and be just one of the girls she basically balances out Klaus and Elijah

There is currently no woman on the show that can take her place. Hailey is currently an incubator (thats sounds bad). Cammie might but she's too out of the loop. Davina is too traumatized for now.

The only shot this show has is for Hailey to give Birth and the baby grows up to teen age but they have to pick a very good actress then they have a shot.
Flag
Hmm, Rebekah always told Elijah that she wanted to leave as soon as Hayley was out of danger, but never thought the character will be written out of the series. Farewell Clair Holt. We will miss your sharp tongue and sassy attitude.
Flag
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(
Flag
Not really that surprised. She was not given a normal lead role in this show (the stories are almost all driven by one of the brothers).

I also think the show should use this to reevaluate the main characters. The idea that they have lived for 1000 years does not come across in how they behave. And it really should. For example, they should be much wiser than they are.
Flag
it appears that way but Becks brings an extra something I can't really define it a woman's touch. The balancer between the brothers that gives it an extra umph.
Flag
I think that balance would have been much stronger if her character was not a scared vampire. Something more that you would expect from an original 1000 year old vampire, regardless being a girl
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members