A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

The Originals S01E01: "Always and Forever"

It should go without saying that people who wear genie pants are not to be trusted. This is especially true for genies. Do not trust a genie, basically. Anytime a mystical creature offers to grant you a wish—be it money, power, success, chewy candy, or even happiness (gross), that devious mystic will always have a trick up his or her bell-sleeve. It's like, "Oh cool, look at this enormous pile of Starbursts, I'm gonna burrow into it mouth-first and fall into a delicious slumber." But then Boom! Diabetes. That's how genies get you. They give you the thing that you want most and then make it so you can't enjoy that thing. Guys, last spring a genie tricked us, it tricked us bad. When The Vampire Diaries finally gave birth to a wet, frightening bundle of drama called The Originals, it was a joyous moment for us all. Spinning off the three living Originals into their own show was a GREAT idea. They are three of the best characters on all of television and they were running out of things to do in Mystic Falls, let's be real. In other words, we'd finally gotten our wish. But then WHOOPS. That spin-off episode was not very good! Sorry, just being real. It was borderline terrible. Easily one of the least-good episodes in TVD history, and a very disappointing start to what was supposed to be our new favorite show. But I'm here to tell you to forget that episode. Throw it in the dumpster. This week's official series premiere of The Originals undid or fixed A LOT of the things that were not-so-good about the backdoor pilot! The tables have been turned once again. A classic genie double-cross! Guys, I really like this new version of The Originals.

Before I get into the specifics of why The Originals' rebooted first episode was so good (and "Always and Forever" most definitely WAS a reboot), let's have a quick chat about why the original The Originals didn't work. First and foremost, it almost completely destroyed Klaus as a character. This was a guy who entered TVD on a cloud of sinister magic and straight-up terrified everybody with his unpredictable, unknowable omnipotence, his dark wit, and his ability to remain ten steps ahead of everyone else at all times. Now suddenly he was a weak, uncertain, overmatched naïf getting pushed around in crummy nightclubs? That was NOT the show I wanted to see. Same with Elijah: He entered TVD as a mysterious badass with a Eurotrash haircut and a penchant for destroying vampire coffee shops by throwing handfuls of quarters at them while occasionally karate-chopping the heads off of other vampires. Suddenly he was walking around giving whiny soliloquies about how families should love each other? Again, that was NOT the show I wanted to see. I suspect that some people behind the scenes decided that these characters needed to be more well-rounded and vulnerable in order to carry a show. Because I can't think of a SINGLE recent series that was centered on a ruthless, cunning antihero who always got the upper hand and vanquished his enemies on his own terms while trying to protect his family. Can you? I'm really drawing a blank there. I just did not understand why The Originals would present us the absolute worst versions of Klaus and Elijah and assume we'd continue to care about them.

Then there were the new characters. That cook witch? Boring. That blonde bartender? No way. Marcel? Fine, but why should I care? Hayley? Yeah girl, but remember when you used to have funny lines? The attic witch? Whotf ARE you? Uh, and we need to talk about New Orleans as a setting. Like, great city. Fun, ancient, full of flavor. But you're telling me that an immortal British-accented dreamboat who would give a dying teenager a deathbed rallying cry about the grandness of life, classic art, and world-class travel would be caught dead anywhere NEAR Bourbon Street? I just do not buy it. I don't care if Klaus wanted his kingdom back or whatever. Kingdom of what exactly? Frozen Hurricanes and puke-filled gutters? He and Elijah should've just grabbed Hayley and headed for Vienna. Don't get me wrong, New Orleans is fun. But it is so beneath these characters it's outrageous. SORRY. These are ancient and powerful immortals who throw BALLS. It made no sense for them to settle like this. Not for this city and certainly not for a small-beans conflict between lame witches and some French Quarter rascal.

That said, I liked the pregnancy twist A LOT. Sorry, deal w/it. All the best Klaus moments from TVD involved the occasional glimpses of his humanity. Even at his worst (forcing Stefan to murder most of America) he was really just lonely. That was never more true than in the endlessly compelling inner struggle he faced when a simple high school girl refused to like him back. Those rare moments where Klaus showed he still had feelings for others are what make this character so great, and the idea that he might soon receive unconditional love from another creature—his own blood, even!—is just so full of possibility. But again, Klaus's moments of vulnerability should be RARE as H. We do not want to see a show about a constantly vulnerable Klaus. We want a scary, mean, brilliant Klaus with the potential for kindness. Mere flickers of goodness that make our brains tingle from time to time for maximum impact. You know? Dang, I am still just so steamed about that backdoor pilot. May you be carried away by seagulls, backdoor pilot.

Okay, sorry for all the rants. Let's talk about "Always and Forever," this week's much-needed course correction. It was terrific! Yes, some of the elements I've just finished yellin' about were still present, but it's pretty incredible what a bit of restructuring and change of perspective can accomplish. This episode was indeed a reboot of the same story and characters we met last spring, but if this new version is to be believed, The Originals will now center on Elijah and not Klaus. From his opening narrations (in a flashback wig! With a British accent! And a daggered Kol in a Louis Vuitton casket!) to the episode-long detective work he did around the French Quarter, Elijah is now the man we'll follow into the dark. Which: YES. Klaus has rightly been relegated to the shadows, his sinister and unpredictable nature restored, while also giving us a handsome, conflicted, and powerful hero at the fore.

Similarly, "Always and Forever" demoted Marcel to something more intriguing: a self-appointed king with a mean streak. It's too soon to tell whether he'll still give very on-the-nose karaoke performances of "How You Like Me Now?" or continue to boast of power without really demonstrating it, but "Always and Forever" added shadows to his undeniable star power, making him instantly more interesting. Uh, the attic witch thing is still kinda stupid and feels like cheating. I mean, Marcel is basically the same age as Damon and Stefan. As much as the writers needed to bend over backward to make Marcel stand toe-to-toe with the Originals, after two seasons of the Salvatores (or the even smarter Katherine!) failing to get the jump on Klaus, I really doubt Marcel could do that either. But! Charles Michael Davis remains insanely charismatic. There's a lot of potential in this character so long as the writers can come up with a better, more compelling plot than a simple witch-vampire turf war. That plot (and Marcel himself) still doesn't feel important enough to be on the Mikaelsons' radar, but at least he seems more like a real person now with a better defined set of stakes. (Vampire pun NOT intended, not now not ever).

Hey speaking of witches, "Always and Forever" introduced a few new ones, and they are instantly better than the so far very not-compelling Sophie character. We're only one episode in and she's already making bad decisions and unconvincing threats that don't seem very thought-out, so it's nice to see older, more seasoned witches stepping in to make the New Orleans coven seem more formidable. (For NOW. We'll see just how formidable they seem after the new season of American Horror Story starts.) Uh, that blonde bartender lady is still 60 percent less charming than the writers probably intend and also 100 percent useless in general, but she seems nice? She's basically the April character here. Oh, and again, not to slag on New Orleans, but this Atlanta-based version of New Orleans looks MUCH better. Sorry. It's much sleeker and better-lit. Like the mansion that the Originals rented for Hayley? Amazing. And I can't deny it, it all just feels more like The Vampire Diaries now, which probably subconsciously makes me feel all warm and cozy and in good hands.

Even some of the sketchier plot points from the backdoor pilot have been reworked and/or ret-conned for the better. It suddenly makes way more sense for Klaus to want to have a child and also destroy Marcel. And it suddenly makes way more sense for Elijah to care about any of it. As for Rebekah, it wasn't clear before just what would compel her to join the fray, but Klaus's last-minute daggering of Elijah will probably bring her to town. (That last bit also served to remind us that Klaus is a major asshole. Just the way we like him!) And Hayley's personality came back! Phoebe Tonkin remains a jewel in The CW's crown, but the main thing The Originals' writers need to remember is how well she knows her way around a one-liner. "Always and Forever" not only made Hayley funny again ("Vampires are DEAD" was her excuse for not using birth control with Klaus), it also hinted at possible sparks between her and Elijah, which was just the right amount of love triangle. I definitely don't require a love triangle in my supernatural dramas (and they can frequently be annoying), but the potential for one is undeniably thrilling. Oh and Klaus and Elijah had a POLE fight. Again, their adversarial nature has always been a thrill, and "Always and Forever" brought it back stronger than ever. Fewer balcony speeches about family, more pole fights and daggering. The Originals 2.0 is a definite upgrade.

Overall I still believe the premise and setting of The Originals are beneath these characters. Characters this powerful and with such a flair for theatrics deserve something much grander in scale than some tourist trap turf war. (Set it in Washington, D.C.! Make it Scandal with vampires! Klaus should crave nothing less than world domination!) But even shows with brilliant concepts frequently forget that it frankly doesn't matter how brilliant the premise if the characters are awful. The Originals already boasts three of the best and richest characters on television, and their creators have more than earned our trust. I'm not sure this is the show we expected, but I'm fairly sure we can expect it to go somewhere special. Sort of like that other show about small-town vampires that wasn't 100 percent excellent right off the bat. So far The Originals does not have vampire fog or nosy crows, so in this respect (and most other main ones), it's already off to a pretty great start!

QUESTIONS:

... Did you think "Always and Forever" improved on the backdoor pilot?

... What's your favorite element of The Originals' premise? Least favorite?

... When will Rebekah finally get her fill of mashed potatoes in Europe and come to New Orleans?

... Klaus or Elijah? Be honest.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

244 Comments
Comments (244)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
So I never saw TVD, and the pilot is kinda meh.
Does it get better for someone who never saw TVD, or should I quit right now?
Flag
&This; week's official series premiere of The Originals undid or fixed A LOT of
&the; things that were not-so-good about the backdoor pilot!

I'm conflicted. Price is right about everything... always! But I can't agree with this, having just watched the pilot (hey, I had to leave something for Summer when the Vampire Diaries isn't on!). They added some scenes that fleshed out some characters, but on the downside they cut out SO MUCH that if this was the only pilot I'd seen large chunks would make no sense whatsoever! We barely saw Marcel... we barely saw Klaus... I got almost zero sense of the relationship between Klaus and Marcel. Unlike Price I saw no reason he wanted what Marcel had (given the two barely interacted in this episode at all). Heck, I might have watched the whole episode and not even understood who or what Marcel was the way they cut this episode up. It didn't need the flashback at the beginning or a few other of the scenes it stuck in. I liked the scenes with the bartender, giving us a glimpse of Klaus' humanity again and setting a theme about the possible redemption of Klaus. That all seemed gone. And obviously if I'd never seen VD none of this would have made the slightest sense even with the mind-zapped flashback for Haley of the Originals' origin story.

I thought they butchered the original backdoor pilot and I feel like watching that again to recall all the stuff that was skipped in the official pilot. :-(
More+
Flag
I did feel like this was a huge improvement on the backdoor pilot, and I agree with you that focusing on Elijah was a good move. I love Klaus, but I feel like they'd need to tame him to make him the central character, and this way they don't have to!

I have hated the baby development from moment one, because the Haley/Klaus sex scene made me gag, and because I'm sooo over supernatural pregnancies on shows in general. It took me a couple years to get into Fringe, because when it first aired, the second episode was a supernatural pregnancy thing, and I was like, "Nope, these guys have no ideas." Glad I gave it another shot, of course. :) But seriously, news to ALL SHOWS, but especially ANGEL. No more goddamned supernatural pregnancies, please!!

All of that said, even that storyline was beginning to grow on me in this episode, and I was almost not even hating Haley. I like she and Elijah's chemistry (as friends, people), and I liked her lines making light of Klaus and the whole silly sex act. I REALLY don't want she and Klaus to have anything relationship-like, and I don't really want her with Elijah either. . . 'cause he's mine. But if she's going to be like a new sister to Elijah, and perhaps friend of Rebecca's (I hope), and mostly ignore Klaus except as regards the baby, I think I could handle that.

So, my final thought is that, although I can already tell I'm not going to like the plotlines and setting as much as TVD, I'll happily watch it to get my Elijah/Klaus/Rebecca fix, and if we could PLEASE continue to have crossovers. . . Pretty please? Ok, fine, I admit it. I still want Caroline and Klaus to make it work, those crazy kids!
More+
Flag
Wow, Elijah is killing Klaus in that poll. But I completely agree that Elijah was the glue that kept the plot together. And he was also somewhat responsible for bringing in Rebekah to Owleans so its all good. I hope he gets undaggered soon.
Flag
I can't believe how much of a tvd fanboy I have become so maybe that clouds my judgement but I don't care, as long as I fully enjoy this.
I don't get why you hated on the first storyline, I loved Marcel and the baby and all of it. Klaus never stroke me as out of character. He is so obviously lonely and of course he can only talk to his family about that. Elena, Damon and stuff, all are basically strangers, but this is his family. So let him be a part of it. His battle is between his dickish-ness and beeing a brother. He is not used to let that out, but the writers had to show, what the spin-off will be about his journey to humanity and it was ok, right?
For the episode itself, I could not find any difference in quality level between this and the normal tvd. It just strikes me as a expansion of the world and it was brilliant. And Elysiah.... omg Elysah is a hero. I really hope to see him go crazy dark against others to protect his family, it is gonna be such a thrilling moment.
I think The Originals is going to be a lot more heartwarming than tvd because it is about family instead of lovers quarrels. That is nothing bad, but is is just so right for family to be together.

One Question: how can Rebecca be having threesomes with Matt and going to New Orleans?
More+
Flag
FInally got around to watching this, and I have to say I was not a huge fan. I agree with the recap that it was an improvement from the back door pilot but still felt unsatisfying. I'm glad that the originals have moved on from the vampire diaries, and I think the baby was a good twist, and love the New Orleans setting, but I don't like shows that are built around logically flawed premisses.

It seems out of character and doesn't make sense why Klaus or Elijah just doesn't kill Marcel, also can't originals just compel other vampires. As in couldn't they just compel Marcel to tell them the what power he holds over the witches? (I know there are mysterious "Rules" that must be enforced and some mystery witch lighting a candle but still). That would solve all of their problems. Klaus has not responded well to intimidation in the past, and usually has a kill first think later kind of attitude.

It will be interesting to see where the show the goes now that their will be episodes that weren't just setting everything up, hopefully the writers take it somewhere interesting. My bet is that this will get canceled after this season and all the Originals will just flock back to the Vampire Diaries.
More+
Flag
Did you think "Always and Forever" improved on the backdoor pilot? ...
- Yes, a lot! I was pessimistic about the backdoor pilot, but after this rebooted one, I'm optimistic about the show.

What's your favorite element of The Originals' premise? Least favorite?
- Elijah's nobility. The least favorite: the stabbing in the end. Also, Sophie's character is boring. I'm surprised that I prefer Hayley to Sophie.

When will Rebekah finally get her fill of mashed potatoes in Europe and come to New Orleans?
- Next episode I think? Although I want her to stay in Mystic Falls with Matt.

Klaus or Elijah? Be honest.
- Definitely Elijah!
Flag
"Make itScandal with vampires!", Are you trying to kill me? Would it please you to make my heart spontaneously combust?
Flag
I finally watched the premiere last night, and was definitely not impressed. They spent more time on story background 'dialogue' than moving toward a better plot. Still hate the baby thing, not sure why klaus cares about new orleans so much, and am clueless as to how rebekah is going to fit in this.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, they should have made the Hayley character Faye from Secret Circle if they wanted Phoebe so badly. Then she would have aligned more with the witch storyline than this baby wolf thing.
Flag
I think the episode was much better than the backdoor one but it was really boring to watch an entire episode without learning anything new... let's see what will happen this week
Flag
idk i liked it better when it was centered all around klaus. im not a huge fan of elijah. he seems alittle stuffy to me. maybe it gets better idk we will see
Flag
I'm wondering when we'll see really REALLY old vampires, older than Rose, Khaterine and the rest we've seen (excluding Silas of course). Looking forward to something like that happening eventually, tired of the constantly "new" vampires. It'll would be fun to see more tortured vampires, the coldblooded fearless ones.
Flag
It seems like a lot of people don't understand why Klaus won't just rip Marcel to shreds. I personally have been operating under the assumption that Klaus didn't make too many vampires that he was actually connected with. I think he has/had a genuine bond with Marcel, maybe, and he actually and genuinely seen him as family, an addition to his, and the irony between Elijah and Klaus is that they both value family but Klaus doesn't know how to handle it. If Klaus really views Marcel, or viewed Marcel, as an extension of his family than just like with Kol, Elijah, and Rebekah he wouldn't be so open to actually killing them. He'll maim them, dagger them, emotionally break them, taunt them, verbally abuse them, fight them, profess that they're dead to him, but never actually kill them dead permanently. I think he may be the same with Marcel, but we'll have to see more of their history to understand that. He'll do everything just shy of killing him if he can get away with it, because as twisted and broken and sadistic and psychopathic as he is, he actually does value family. So to me, it was always plausible and believable that Klaus wouldn't just rip Marcel's heart out and be done with it all. Maybe Marcel was his first Stefan....the brother he wanted but didn't feel like he had. Amenable to his influence. The student to his master, and now the student has surpassed his master and he can't have that.

The Originals, right out of the gate established that they are always and forever about family. That is why I found them so much more interesting, because TVD is a story that should have been about family (I still maintain that the true love story of TVD is about Stefan and Damon and their sibling relationship and Elena love triangle crap just go in the way and overshadowed that, much to my chagrin). From the moment they were introduced that has been their thing. I love and look forward to "family" being the their theme because I find that infinitely more fascinating and convoluted. There are endless possibilities for storytelling. I love that. You will pretty much always have me with Loyalty, Family, and Friendship (again, why Elijah is my favorite character and my freaking spirit animal). So in a way, it is very plausible and legit that Marcel can pose a threat to Klaus even though on paper Klaus should be able to rip him apart no problem. It is sort of like brother against brother. Neither of them will truly want to make the ultimate move and kill the other. They have an entire series to get to the point where they can pull the metaphorical trigger instead of claiming and wanting to but being unable to really and truly do it.
More+
Flag
  • A double dose of Price is just what the doctor ordered!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • One doesn't simply choose between Klaus and Elijah. It's like choosing between a filet mignon and a porterhouse. I just can't do it. Okay fine, if you twist my arm...Elijah will always edge Klaus out. I mean it's mother fudging Elijah Mickaelson, badass with class! He rips a mofo's heart out with such finesse that he doesn't even sully his three piece suit. He has pretty hair and a pretty face and morals and ethics that will make any girl in their right mind swoon. Seriously, when Elijah appears onscreen it's guaranteed that everyone will hear the collective sound of unmentionables across the globe hitting the floor. The man is 51 flavors of sexy! I'm going to need a moment...
  • I actually didn't hate the backdoor pilot nearly as much as the masses because, it's a backdoor pilot. You have to squeeze as much potential in such a short period of time. It's a test run and a taster. But I agree, this was definitely better. They did a brilliant job of laying down the foundation and bringing in a new audience with fresh storytelling while keeping the original original audience engaged as well. Everyone won.
  • Charles M. Davis is one of the new breakout stars of the season. I don't care what anyone says. He is dammit. He is. I'm so thrilled for him. He's so charming and charismatic and it works on a show like this where he's holding his own against actors who are notoriously charming and charismatic Joseph Morgan being a charmer, and Daniel Gillies being badass, and Claire Holt being endearing...that is what got them their own series. Too much amazingess to be contained or dismissed. Charles M. Davis fits in perfectly. He is holding his own and I am so, so proud of him, like I know him personally because...I just love when relatively unknowns get these huge shots like this, and it is his time to shine.
  • I love that Marcel seems legitimately intimidating and has an evil streak. In the backdoor pilot he seemed rather pleasant. He seemed blindsided by Klaus' mini temper-tantrums. He seemed charming enough and even accommodating Now, now he does have a whole sinister thing going on. He seems like a legit threat. He seems a bit menacing and kind of a dick. I mean, you can tell that their issues will be more than just two cocky bastards having a measuring contest. I love it!
  • I don't know if the witches on here are badass and fierce or just ridiculously bitchy. I mean, I like that they are ballsy but they almost had a bit too much attitude for me. To the point where it was stupid. It was mostly the Deveraux witch, but still. I can't take you seriously when you're threatening Elijah and Klaus to the extent that they were threatening them. At some point, even I was like, do you not know who they are?!! Please, Elijah...Klaus....SHOW these witches who you are! I mean, saying you have nothing left to lose? Woman, you have your head and your heart to lose. Let's not get carried away here. I was quite fond of the one who approached Elijah initially and Agnes of course, so there is hope.
  • I'm intrigued by Marcel and this witch gf (or chick with serious Stockholm Syndrome... I don't know).
  • Honestly, I'm still not feeling the baby storyline. Does it make sense in some regards? Sure, there is nothing a man like Klaus would want more than an honest to God heir. All he ever wants is the companionship and family, even though he has it more than he realizes he just is self destructive enough to continuously screw it up. Unconditional love. (though...Elijah sort of fits the bill...but okay). I mean it isn't like he grew to resent his own father or anything like that. But a blood bond should make things better, because daggering his own siblings and threatening to kill them doesn't count as having blood bonds? Wait a minute, I was trying to make a point here before I started arguing against my own point. The baby thing kinda makes sense, because its Klaus, he's a lonely bastard who doesn't know how to not be lonely and a baby will give him a shot at having someone devoted to him entirely. Whatever, in some regards it makes sense but I'm still not feeling it.
  • I see they are trying to make Hayley likeable but I still don't give a shizz about her. Sorry. I know Phoebe T is a gem. A gem of a gem, but I never cared for the Hayley character. At most, I'm indifferent. But, I will say that they gave a bit more background and maybe her bond with Elijah could be something worth watching. Maybe it's a hint of a love triangle (though it's more of a bang triangle right? Klaus doesn't even like Hayley)...but to me, it seems more like that connection Elijah had with Elena. Elijah is drawn to the humanity and vulnerability and all the feels. It could be sweet. Anything Elijah does is awesome though, so..
  • Cam doesn't have much presence as of yet. Maybe it's because they haven't shown much of her. Personally, I tired of her toting the whole being a Psych Major thing, and I was a Psych major. The problem with having a world class bunch like JoMo, DG, CH, CMD, and maybe even PT if her character is written right, is being perfectly okay and fine doesn't make you memorable. They will own you and eat you up in a scene. Eyes are always on them. It isn't that you don't shine, it's just that they shine brighter.
  • I look forward to what Bex will offer.
  • OMG watching Elijah and Klaus fight was kinda the best. I was torn between "please don't fight boys!" to "This is soooo awesome, just, not the faces, please not the pretty faces!!". Right there we got that wonderful antagonistic nature of their relationship again, and you knew that it wouldn't be all sunshine and unicorns.
  • Can Daniel G just narrate my entire life? Please! I knew it was going to not end pretty, because nothing good ever comes from someone doing a voiceover...and then Klaus daggered him! Klaus, you blood bastard!!! You brilliant, beautiful, blood bastard!!!! Not my Elijah!!! I mean, shouldn't he be immune to that thing by now?! It broke my heart, but damn if it wasn't brilliant, because Klaus is still a dick. He's still a freaking bastard. I mean he's our bastard, but he's still a bastard, and that's kinda of what we love about him, and that's why we need him to be that way. This may be a story of a redemption, but it's going to be a slow one. Slow and easy like Nawlins. It's going to take a while, and that's how we need it to be.
  • But seriously though, I love Elijah. Out of the originals he is without a doubt, hands down the one I can identify with the most. Damn family, morals, loyalty, and principles always get you in trouble, right Elijah? It isn't fun cleaning up after everyone's messes, but you can't stop. Ever. Love him to death and back.
  • I know this is going to be my new love. Right up there with Sleepy Hollow.
More+
Flag
Forget about the baby etc. The biggest mystery for me is, how long will it be before the 3rd mermaid from H2O: Just Add Water comes and joins Phoebe Tonkin and
Flag

Claire Holt was on TVD first! ;)

Flag
... Did you think "Always and Forever" improved on the backdoor pilot?
It absolutely did! It saddens me a bit that Klaus doesn't seem to have grown up at all from his time in TVD, but still, Elijah is more than enough for me!

... What's your favorite element of The Originals' premise? Least favorite?
Elijah. He's just so heroic and charming! I hated the witch Davina. So now there's a super witch that can sense magic and can overthrow the Original vamps? She must be stronger than Esther, Quetsyah and Pumped Bonnie...

... When will Rebekah finally get her fill of mashed potatoes in Europe and come to New Orleans?
I'll admit that I would have loved for Rebekah to just stay in Mystic Falls. Anyway I was thinking that the pilot took place during TVD season 4 and we saw Rebekah in TVD season 5 premiere. Does it mean that she went to New Orleans, than got back to finish TVD season 4 and then flew to Europe with Matt? I'm confused.

... Klaus or Elijah? Be honest.
ELIJAH.
Flag
Also, what do you think would happen to the baby when Hailey turns?
Flag
Y'know, for a long time now I've seen alot of complaints about Haley & honestly, as an all around, easy going casual fan of TVD, TSC & now The Originals, I just don't get the hate. That said, I'm motivated to vent one uberly shallow thing: speaking strictly as a dude, regardless of Phoebe Tonkin's acting ability (which I don't have any problem with) She's too hot & I wish they would tone her look down a notch or two. I know that's alot to ask for on teeny bopper shows like this, but nevertheless, She's hot to the point of ruining my suspension of disbelief when I watch the show (& I already cut ALOT of slack to the fact that just about everyone in TV world is hot)

Hey, if I can't complain about this on the net, then what's the point of it? ::innocent, yet serious grin::
Flag
They cancelled TSC because SH and JPK are hotter! PT doesn't do it for me.
Flag
I theoretically agree with many of these criticisms, but I didn't notice them while watching because Daniel Gillies is so terribly gripping -- one of the best actors we've seen in a genre show in many years IMO. Morgan is really, really good as well, but I liked that he was in the shadows rather than in the suit for this ep.
Flag
Definitely an improvement over the backdoor pilot.

My mileage varies on how well some of the things were improved though. I still don't comprehend Elijah's undying love for his family, and he was still delivering an awful lot of soliloquies.

But overall this episode seemed a lot more focused on setting up the plot for the rest of the series, and while, as Price mentioned, it all seems a little underwhelming for 'The Originals' as characters, a more subtle approach to storylines in comparison to The Vampire Diaries might be better, particularly because these characters also have an expansive backstory to explore. Plus a little more time spent on character development (which, I'm sorry Price, I though The Originals severely suffered from a lack of this in The Vampire Diaries) can only be a good thing.
Flag
There's one thing I am sure: it will be a good show, but would be better without Haley in it.
Flag
-I didn't watch the pilot so I just came into this one. I liked it. I liked Haley too. I watched knowing how people felt about her and the plot involved around her, and I found it okay.
- My favorite is the concept of family. TVD, in my opinion, lost that in S4 and I love how Elijah, Klaus, and Rebekah contrast in the meaning of family. Siblings will grow old and rarely keep in touch with each other, but the Mikaelsons still associate with each other which solidifies the dynamic relationship they share.
-Least favorite is that Davina lady. Like... I know it's only been the pilot so we have yet to see this mysterious, powerful magic this girl supposedly has so. AND she's a witch dissenter. Her loyalty lies to a vampire, and though I don't like, I'd really like to know why.
-Definitely Elijah.
Flag
While this has to be an on demand show...and the Originals have been boringme on TVD..I might like this. I almost think what might be funny is to ccontinue to have Elijah narrate even until whoever yanks the stake out (um I thought humans were the only ones who could use it) and like never explain it. I am assuming when Matt and Jeremy decide protecting Katherine requires the Originals help they take her with Caroline and either Caroline makes Klaus take it out or Katherine does. Otherwise the point of view should only be Elijah or Rebecca or even Hayley to maintain Klaus' well assholeness.
Flag
It was one of the daggers that Klaus has been using throughout history on them. I think that it was that a vampire couldn't use them, which would explain why Klaus could.
Flag
I found the pilot extremely boring, and worse than last season's episode. It was repetitive. Too much exposition for a spin-off, too much Elijah talking and a very weak Klaus. I'll give it another try next week because I love Klaus so much, but it better improve soon.
Flag
Bad news: Kluas has gone soft!
Flag
I find the timeline of the show a bit confusing: So, Klaus and Elijah left Mystic Falls last spring. While TVD made a 3-month-jump, The Originals are still at the same time as back then... and since we know that Rebekkah spent the whole summer in Europe with Matt, can we expect her to show up in New Orleans only after three months?

Flag
I'm one of those who don't get all the hate towards Rebecka (she had bad storylines at times but she always delivered it in a compelling way) so I'm hoping you're wrong and she's coming sooner, but I doubt she'll be running towards New Orleans any time soon so you're guess is probably correct.
Flag
Haha, I didn't even think of that. Good call. I hope they have an exlanatation for it.
Flag
Team Elijah - Always and Forever <3!

Still hate Hayley, still adore Elijah and still find Klaus to be not as lame as most of mid s3-4. Painting FTW?

Now, pardon me, but wasn't that Sophie-chick intended to be Elijah's love interest? Becoz dagger me now if Klaus/Hayley/Elijah becomes a thing, H NO! Even DESaster triangle is more tolerable compared to that.

Btw, raise your hand if you are jealous of Hayley's 'miracle baby'? I mean, with uncle and aunt like Elijah and Rebekah...who needs friends and enemies?
Flag
DESaster triangle... hahaha perfectly put!
Flag
I don't think they ever declared Sophie to be a potential interest for Elijah. They have very firmly nixed (all actors involved and Julie) the idea of Klaus and Hayley, though.
Flag
Good to hear, wouldn't have worked.
Flag
loved it! Was nicely done and enterwined with the episode we had seen earlier....so sad for Elijah in the end, but expectable off Klaus...
Wonder how the storyline will be for the rest of the season...
Flag
I'm sorry but I thought the pilot was just plain boring. I'll keep watching but Always and Forever did nothing for me.
Flag
1. More Elijah of course! He's so awesome. I can't wait to see when they will focus on his character, particularly something that concerns his own history only and something that will drive him off the edge to turn off his humanity.

2. To see the characters again was great and even a new, brand flashback to the 1700s that lasted a little too short but I'll take what I can get. More of these that could slowly, but safely build the characters with added background information. The most boring part is likely around Marcel because the premise is too weak, he's only 100-200 years old, there's no way he'll be a challenge to the Originals and he having a witch on his side will only work for so long. They need to upgrade him somehow.

I also agree that this New Orleans setting is very weak compared to the characters it's supposed to be about so I hope after at least season 1 they change places, in fact depending on how long this show starts changing places for this show would likely help go on for a while.

I also didn't like that idea of daggering Elijah. I'm mean sure, it was a great moment to piss him off and to once again make Klaus a mistake for Elijah's part but seriously? Daggering should have a time-limit rather than take-i-out-by-force so we don't miss more screen time with Elijah because that's what's bothering me.

3. Once she gets bored, some guy tells her she isn't pretty, Klaus comes to her home and threatens her to make her life miserable if she stays etc..

4. Elijah but not in a pick and the other one die-contest. Why? Elijah is a well-versed character but he's not suited to be in the spotlight like Klaus who shines that way. Elijah is elusive, unpredictable, frankly mysterious other than the fact he's an adverserial Original brother to Klaus. I think he will work as a good constant, remaining this way but I hope they find some time to give him some character development like I don't know, focus on himself for once? It will be interesting to see how he react when he finds Katherine as a human.
More+
Flag
I wonder when Elijah will found out. And what would that mean? He joins TVD for some episodes? Because Nina Dobrev wouldn't join TO right?
Flag
I think I read somewhere that Nina Dobrev might join The Originals for an episode or two as Katherine but it might make more sense for Elijah to come to her when he realizes she's human because it's unrealistic that Katherine actually makes it to New Orleans on her own unless she had hidden money somewhere but she's still vulnerable to her old enemies but also because if Elijah comes to TVD then Nina can play both Elena and Katherine in the same episode.

I'm also interested in his reaction, I hope they actually make a turning point for that. I think it might push Elijah to want Katherine in his life now that her life is both limited and no energy to make more enemies but he kind of made his choice already in the end of TVD so their reunion might be a turning point for their short relationship but short-lived nonetheless. They would never work anyway as Elijah's honour would never work with Katherine's inability to stay truthful and Katherine would never accept Elijah's choice to help Klaus.
Flag
- A definite improvement, more Elijah makes everything better!
- Favourite element of The Originals: Elijah, least favourite element of The Originals: the thought of Elijah ever being in pain...
- She has to come back really soon right? Otherwise she's just being wasted...
- Elijah, no contest.
Flag
Is this show also good if you haven't seen TVD? Anyone has watched it that didn't watch the first show?
Flag
You're missing some things that would make the TO experience more whole, but the show should also be good. It all depends on your taste i guess. I've explained to KennethJP what I think you miss if you're curious to know.
Flag
I think not watching TVD would make you lose lots of informations on the originals and their development and on the meaning of Elijah and Rebekah's words when they talk about Klaus..
Flag
I came to this page to ask the exact same question. Never got into the Vampire diaries however this has been on my calendar for a while now.... would i get what im watching without ANY information on the previous story line?
Flag
It should be hard for you to understand some of the supernatural things that was explained before as well as those who have watched TVD, but mostly it'll be hard to understand the reasoning behind the characters decisions in the beginning. Why they have that kind of relationship... but it seems the writers have explained it pretty well so far, but no you won't get everything, or at least not that well. If you like TO you can give TVD a shot and see if it sticks. Up to you.
Flag
They really did a good job of explaining a lot of the necessary stuff to understand what was happening. There was some stuff that was unexplained, but making it necessary for you to connect the dots and ask questions about the mysteries presented is one of the things the show does well. There would be a couple things that might be confusing, but it's definitely enjoyable and watchable.
Flag
I've watched maybe three episodes of TVD and I loved The Originals. This show has great potential.
Flag
Problem is the storyline. I assume the writers thought mixing TVD-silas-elena-stefan-damon and The-Originals-klaus-elijah-rebekah history toghether would be way to complicated, but - don't get me wrong- the season premiere of season 5 would have been 200 % better.
Yeah, i admit, much scenes and much to tell - but that's the Vampire Diaries, isnt it ?!
On this way, they abstracted a half story from TVD and melt it with that weird Evil-Marcel-history (??). It's not enough, sorry guys! :(

Imagine Klaus telling Caroline about Hayley right after Tyler's call;
Rebekah trying to convince Matt to go on college too, Elijah's recation to Katherine's humanity
=> AWEEEEESOME *__*
Flag
There's no way that they could give the characters or the actors the development that they rightfully deserve on TVD. It'd be an insult to keep them handcuffed by the Elena drama.
Flag
Yes, definitely an improvement!
I was mostly surprised that I didn't hate Hayley. I agree that the writers should make her a bit funnier (or a bit more like her character in Secret Circle). Then, I would actually be very okay with her.

Flag
Klaus is my favorite character which is why I can't really stand this spinoff. It's like you said, they've done a complete 180 on his character and I can no longer root for him like this. When the spinoff was announced, I was enamored with the idea of a show that made no apologies for having a lead who is selfish, cruel, manipulative and charming. Instead we get lots of drinking and whining about his manpain, and I. Just. Don't. Give. A. Shit.

1. So, um, yes and no. I think the original backdoor pilot was better in terms of the way it was written (honestly those voiceovers in Always and Forever were just plain tacky) and how the newer characters were presented--Marcel was much less vibrant in the premiere, and he was one of the only things I even liked about the backdoor pilot. I think the Always and Forever had its moments with the flashbacks, which was good to see, but overall, I'm definitely not sold on it.

2. Favorite element of the premise would have to be the Klaus/Marcel dynamic. Two solid actors with loads of chemistry that translates really well on screen.

Least favorite element(s): the baby is the big one. For me, I'm a stickler for plausibility, and this doesn't have that. The writing is lazy and the excuse to justify it is terrible. The logic simply doesn't work, and the fact that Julie said she's been gunning for this since day one and would've liked to make Stefan's penis be the magical one if she had an excuse for it makes it very cheap and Twilight-like. The idea for Klaus' familial redemption works in theory but in practice, babies are not something that work well for a vampire show, not to mention it means that an already terrible character is pretty much reduced her storyline to stomach-touching and talking about the baby. Not the best way to get me to like her.

Another big problem for me is Hayley. I disliked her from the moment she came on screen, the writing of the character is all over the place, and Phoebe's line delivery makes me habitually skip all of her scenes. There are minor points on representation of minorities on this show that bothers me but they don't impact the storytelling as much as Hayley and the baby do. I should like to see the pregnancy revealed as a fake (and Klaus knowing this all along because he's not an idiot, despite what this character reversal would have us believe), and to have Hayley go full-on villain mode. Because that's pretty much the only way I can see them fixing her character without directly contradicting all of the character's existing scenes.

3. I would presume Rebekah will come along once she stops getting messages from Elijah. I hope she comes back as fierce as she was in Season Three of TVD, because this watered down version that has been used to prop the male character's egos sucks to me. I mean, she is also a 1000 year old vampire. She's not a kitten, she's strong, sometimes vicious and often violent like her brothers. I miss that Rebekah. Loved her in the 20's flashbacks. It's like that person doesn't even exist anymore...?

4. Definitely Klaus. I love Elijah but Klaus is the reason I wanted to support this show before 4x20 aired. I've had a love of anti hero characters since I was a kid and watched Vin Diesel as Riddick in Pitch Black, and was so looking forward to seeing something along that vein in this show.

I probably won't be watching from here on, but I'll keep an eye on how things go through recaps. If it gets better, I might tune back in.
More+
Flag
1. yes
2. I love it when Klaus goes into a rage. He really portrays them so well.
Least favorite: the setting. I was hoping the show would have a lot of past history and/or it would be set at a different timing. They have been around for 1000 years. They can start the story in those years. Besides, if they use the same timeline as TVD, that means no more Klaus-Caroline storyline. Just saying this makes my heart break :(
3. prolly 3rd episode
4. Klaus. Im usually the typical girl who prefers the heroes in the shows and not saying that i dislike Elijah's characters, but Klaus already won my heart as a villain in TVD so yup, definitely Klaus.
Flag
So now I've watched it and yeah it is a real step up, the Elijah stuff's good. It's kind of an interesting exercise in how to improve an episode. But it's still nowhere near interesting enough for me to watch the show.
Flag
Elijah! The only thing I enjoyed about this "rebooted" (btw, I didn't think it was a proper reboot, it still had waaay too much The Originals plot) pilot was Elijah. I still don't see a show here but given the road that TVD seem to be taking I will definitely watch the second episode. Elijah! Get that damn dagger out of him NOW!
Flag
Elijah is what a true gentleman vampire should be. Klaus is, well, Klaus. I cannot really recall since it's been awhile, but I thought I watched this pilot b4 vaguely on Vampire Diaries from the scenes. Anyways, good refresher course. I believe Elijah will be back soon enough since this show is about the Originals and basing it solely on Klaus is gonna be a boring no no. The low ratings would make the network drive a stake right thru its heart b4 Klaus can down his second bloody Mary in New Orleans.
Flag
I still haven't watched this ep..
Flag
I'm in the minority but I just finished watching the backdoor & the premiere together and while I understand why the rebooting was necessary, I liked the pilot more. Maybe it's just that I preferred Klaus as the main character & Elijah as the support instead of the other way around...no matter though, I still liked the retooling well enough.

Speaking of tooling, I had a pretty big gutter chuckle at the mention of:

"Oh and Klaus and Elijah had a POLE fight
"

Thanks :/ I can't unsee it now in my head, but that's ok, cuz it wuz funny
Flag
Three things about this episode that got me super pissed:

1) When Sophie was like, 'I'm totes gonna kill Hayley. Also PS if she dies so do I. #Suicide.' Ugh. I thought we were done with the suicide plots when we ditched Mystic Falls.

2) I liked Camille in The Originals #1, when she told Klaus that he had humanity / compassion / etc., and she had like two lines in this episode. She is the one human being in The Originals, and I would like to see her more pls. Thx.

3) The lack of pictures in this recap. I realize that now you have to recap two shows in a night but just one picture with a caption? Pls? Price I happen to know that you are magical & can stop time, and if there is any time to use it . . .
Flag
Also #4: UGH ELIJAH WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GET SORT-OF KILLED ALREADY?!?!?! I did love that someone pointed out that he looked fabulous in suits. I recently learned that Daniel Gillies hates wearing suits. Irony much?
Flag
My favourite scene with that Sophie character was when she basically outed her "we're going to kill Hayley" threat as empty by admitting that she was magically linked to her thus if she killed her, she'd also kill herself.
Flag
Do you think they are going to address the time jump thing with Rebekah? I mean they can't have her coming back to this show when apparently she's meant to be in Europe or something with Matt, I think it would be a good idea to do that, esp cause it will speed up some of the baby growing time that is kinda boring.

Giay patin | Giay patin | giay patin | nghe thuat duong pho
Flag
She's not in Europe with Matt, they returned to Mystic Falls within the first 15 minutes of the TVD premier.
Flag
Klaus is still dagger-happy...
Flag
just the way we like him
Flag
First of all, Welcome back Price. I've missed your reviews. Are you going to make photo recaps for TVD and The originals now? PLEASE say yes!

I love The originals siblings and that's the reason I am sticking with this series because there are still a lot of things I want to know about them and their dynamic is quite fun to watch. But this episode DIDN'T reflect how awesome these characters can be, at all. It felt... off. The plot seemed really forced. I am not a fan of the pregnant plot (very soapy), but I can accept it and I understand that Klaus's biggest fear is loneliness. Marcel, as charismatic as he is, isn't a worthy rival of the originals. He really doesn't seem like a threat; The witches are very... duh, I don't care for them and Hailey is still Hayley. I guess the main problem was the difficulty to make a pilot appealing to TVD fans and new viewers... and nothing was new, only the different perspective.

The present plot doesn't do much for me, at least for now (If this show is similar to TVD, that can change with some fast-paced episodes), I am looking forward the flashbacks. I want to watch the real dynamic between the siblings (so, Niklaus, stop daggering your siblings... thank you), to know more about their past together, about their father and everything that made them what they are now. For me it was quite a disappointment that this show was centered only in three originals, I am intrigued to know what kind of relationship Elijah had with Kol, or Rebekah with his father and Klaus with Finn, for example (before and after being vampires). I wanted a show about THE ORIGINALS (Not only about only three of them). So my only hope is lots of flashbacks (Please!)

I wonder what new viewers thought about the episode. I promise you Klaus and co. are already fleshed characters with a lot of potential. I am really hoping this will get better, I am sure it will.

More+
Flag
yea even in the opening - I was thinking it would be great if this can get the other Originals back for cameo & re-occuring appearances in the flashbacks.
Flag
The episode didn't work for me either but mostly because it was a re-working of the existing pilot. They basically took the pilot which in itself is a full and complete episode and added a ton more story to it which meant a lot of the existing story from the original (pun not intended) pilot was cut making the hour feel extremely rushed with everything just crammed in. I'm using episode two as the true indicator of whether this show can actually work but it has Rebekah so how could it not?
Flag
Another vampire crap. Geez. Superheroes or vampires or serial killers or cops or docs. When is it gonna die?
Flag
Never.

ABC just tried a human drama with no cops or docs or serial killers and the ratings were so bad it was cancelled after two episodes.
Flag
I think it will eventually fade away. Like crime rates in 90s or cocaine chic. Vampire shows def will die soon. AMC's having trouble with cop drama right now. Thing is that shows like Lucky 7 have more surviving rate on cable. Cancelation of that particular show on network doesn't prove anything. Plenty cop shows get cancelled all the time.
Flag
That is so true this episode was way better than the backdoor pilot in TVD. the cast is great, the storyline is promising!!! I was a bit worried by this spin off but now I'm sure it is ok and with this reboot pilot the show can stand on his own, so that a good point. you don't have to wach TVD to watch the originals.
Flag
I still can't get over the whole baby thing. I'm really trying to move on from that. At least they were like loophole. I don't know.

I loved seeing thing from Elijah's POV. I love Elijah and this reminded me why. He's a good guy who has a ton of honor and will do the right thing. Poor Elijah. He did all this work and then Klaus said thanks by giving him a dagger in the heart. That wasn't very nice. It is a way to get Rebekah to the show. I guess she'll come back after three months of jumping Matt and notice Elijah is MIA and try to fix it.

Haley didn't make me want to throw her under a bus in this episode so that's a step up in our relationship. Marcel seems cool and he is very good looking. What the heck is up with the witch in the attic? I don't get that at all. It also reads as way creepy to me. Marcel, keeping a little girl locked in the attic is not a good thing, never a good thing. Okay, she's not that little, but still. Creepy! Cami seems a little useless at this point, which I feel bad for. It's hard for some writers to have the human character be interesting in a show filled with supernatural beings and we still see that. I think there could be so much to do with her.
More+
Flag
I'm reading and re-reading the last paragraph, but after "Scandal with vampires" nothing stays in my head.
awesome. idea.
Flag
Right?! I need a Scandal version of Huck. Like, yesterday.
Flag
I really loved this episode. I didn't have as much as a problem with the backdoor pilot as some people did - all right, who am I kidding, I kind of loved the backdoor pilot too. I liked the setting of New Orleans, I liked the witches, I liked Marcel, I was intrigued by the pregnancy storyline, and while I still didn't really like Haley at the time, I was willing to give her another chance. Oh, and apparently I was the ONLY person a little bit interested in the character of Cami, and the only person who liked her art scene with Klaus!

Anyhow. This premiere was even better, I really loved it, and I'm still so excited for this show. I like the potential of Elijah and Haley, and I'm liking Haley a lot more in general. That said, I really DO NOT WANT a love triangle between Klaus/Haley/Elijah. Ugh. We've had enough of that nonsense on TVD. I'm all for Haley/Elijah, and while I can see that causing some tension with Klaus, I just don't want him to really give a crap about Haley romantically. Ever. EVER.

Anyhow. I thought Devina was properly spooky, and at least so far, I can buy her as some mysterious shadowy menace somehow giving Marcel a hold over the witches.

I wonder if Klaus really was relegated to the shadows, with Elijah at the forefront, for the rest of the show? I definitely wouldn't really mind it, but I kind of assumed they had just done this episode that way. Or they might rotate it, and have different episodes from the POVs of Elijah, Klaus, and Rebekah.

I don't know if it's because I've really lost my love for TVD, but I don't have a lot of the complains/concerns that others do about continuity with TVD. I don't mean plot continuity, but I'm hearing a lot of people say that they can't buy Marcel as a threat, considering everything that's gone down on TVD, or that Klaus and Elijah seem neutered, considering what they've done on TVD. But I don't have any concerns about stuff like that, and I think it's because I've gotten kind of down on TVD, and am okay just totally divorcing this show from TVD completely. And while I would normally never say anything like this - because I hate retcon - I'm almost kind of okay just forgetting what all even happened on TVD. I don't know, maybe that's going a bit far. I don't think we should forget it, but I'm okay never talking about it.
More+
Flag
Klaus dismissing of Elijah may also have something to with the chemistry between Haley and Elijah. He was watching.
Flag
History repeaing itself. Elijah has a funny way of getting invested in all these girls that Klaus would kill within a moment's notice. Elijah and his attachments, he fell for Katerina, he was quite fond of and bonded with Elena, and now he's promising his deovtion to Hayley becuase she's the mother of his niece/nephew. ANd Klaus is all eff you and your feels man!!! I love those two.
Flag
That may just be the most exposition-heavy 25 mins of my entire life.
Flag
Do you think they are going to address the time jump thing with Rebekah? I mean they can't have her coming back to this show when apparently she's meant to be in Europe or something with Matt, I think it would be a good idea to do that, esp cause it will speed up some of the baby growing time that is kinda boring.
Flag
I was thinking that the next episode would take place several months later, when Rebekah turns up... but that would also mean that Elijah has probably been daggered all that time, and that seems odd. I mean, after all that talk from him about protecting Haley, I would think she would notice that he's not around. Does Klaus try to hide from her that he daggered him? Does he just tell her and not care? I feel like Klaus can't go for that long without Elijah and not self-implode lol.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members