A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

The Originals S01E11: "Après Moi, Le Déluge"

Everybody's afraid of something. Scientists agree that 100 percent of immortal nightmare creatures are capable of fear; it just takes something as simple as an earthquake or swirling graveyard fire to get their non-pulses racing. And as viewers, when someone who is brave and powerful seems truly afraid, that makes US afraid by extension. Like, sure, in a French Quarter night club courtyard you might seem invulnerable, but the second the ground starts moving beneath your feet, you learn you're just as delicate and powerless as anyone else. The Originals was never going to work unless the ground started shaking. Now it has begun.

Believe it: "Après Moi, Le Déluge" was by far the best episode of The Originals yet and may even be a hard one to top in the future. If I had one persistent complaint about the first ten episodes (which I gladly shouted about to anybody, including strangers, stray animals, and my shoes while wandering the sidewalks), it was that this show about "epic" personalities had trapped them in decidedly non-epic surroundings. From the premise to the setting, just nothing about The Originals felt terribly significant. What were these ancient immortals even doing in that neighborhood? Why had they all lost the capacity for big-picture thinking? Why were we supposed to care about a basic turf war when we knew the central characters had dabbled in huge, history-shaping adventures for over a thousand years? But these questions all had their necks snapped this week when The Originals finally, finally found its epic scope. The ground rattled and the city shook and the last big barrier to enjoying this show crumbled to the ground. Seriously: What a fantastic episode.

First of all, WHOA. I know it's not fair to constantly compare The Originals to its small-town mothership, but this episode meant business in a way reminiscent of early season TVD. Did anybody expect the Harvest plotline to be addressed and possibly even wrapped up this soon? Even if it seems unlikely that we've seen the last of Davina, this still represented major closure to her main arc, which is an insanely risky move on the writers' part, seeing as she's one of the series' best inventions. But in losing Davina (temporarily?) we gained something huge in return: the element of shock. She can't be dead! Can they do that? Even better, should she return, she could very easily return with a grudge. The storytelling potential is off the charts, and that's not even counting how amazing this new development with Celeste and her undead friends seems to be. Like, I miss Davina already (and this episode was a big showcase for Danielle Campbell's next-level skills; ugh, that final speech to Marcel was a real heart-ripper), but the shock of her death and the ensuing twist made it all worth it, to be honest. A little surprise goes a long way. A big surprise even further.

Before I get too ahead of myself we should talk about how elegantly "Après Mois, Le Déluge" was written. Except for some scattered character-moment interludes here and there, almost the entire episode revolved around one central plotline: Davina's physical instability following the death of Tim. Which, I mean, that metaphor alone was perfect. Her extreme grief had caused a rupture in her, I don't know, magic membrane? And now four seemingly biblical plagues were descending upon New Orleans (earthquakes, wind, rain, fire) and she was vomiting representations of each one onto her duvet. (I sincerely wanted to see her vomit fire, but maybe I'm just a bad person?) So that gave Sophie the leverage she needed to convince the others that the Harvest needed to be completed. Davina was a ticking time bomb basically, and if all went according to plan, Davina's ritualistic sacrifice would result in her own resurrection and everyone would live happily ever after. What could go wrong? Well, spoiler alert: Sophie is the second worst witch on TV, so of course it all went to hell. Classic Sophie! But at least her scheme involved the sorta-return of the Mikaelsons' mother (unseen in a casket) and then the surprise reveal that Elijah's dead witch lover had been alive the whole time and posing as the background witch Sabin. Oh AND Sabin ended up stealing everybody's magic so that she could resurrect her posse, which includes that scary lady from the Harvest flashbacks. Honestly, everything about these events was riveting. EVERYTHING. The storytelling was just so good and that's to say nothing of how rich the emotional turns were. Ugh, so rich.

Because, let's be real: At some point it doesn't matter how complicated or well-structured a plotline is; if you're not invested in the characters it just won't matter. But "Après Moi, Le Déluge" made us care about everyone across the board—even Sophie, the last remaining who-cares character on The Originals. But the episode MVP, in my opinion, was Klaus. Ever since fist fighting a hundred vampires and taking back the French Quarter he'd been a bit of a dick. But as is The Originals' way, this episode saw him softening again and it felt nothing less than devastating in a good way. THE HUG. The hug, you guys. That was set up in an earlier knee-weakening moment when Klaus advised Hayley to simply apologize to Elijah for betraying him: "Don't do as I do." It was a bracing admission that Klaus knows his shortcomings, but also a demonstration that he cares about Hayley's happiness and would even allow her to fall in love with his brother if necessary. Then later on, when Marcel was upset about Davina's seemingly pointless death, Klaus apologized and hugged him and confided that he'd once grieved for Marcel in the same way Marcel was grieving for Davina and oh no I'm crying as I type this.

Or what about the part where Klaus sincerely praised Rebekah for her scheming abilities? Or the part where Klaus revealed he'd been secretly overseeing the well-being of all those swamp werewolves? Or even just the look of pure pain on his face when Davina didn't resurrect? This episode was The Klaus Show for sure and that is saying something considering how excellent everybody else was. (Rebekah should probably know better than to be teaming up with Sophie in secret, but still: I am so invested in this subplot.) Meanwhile Elijah and Hayley shared an ALMOST-kiss. Haha the second he ducked out of it I realized just how sadistic this show is going to be toward the fans. Obviously those two are going to have a killer romance, just not quite yet. And Phoebe Tonkin did a lot of heavy lifting in this episode as essentially a bystander but also an emotional through-line. That part where she was just silently weeping while packing up canned ham? WE'VE ALL BEEN THERE.

It's not a coincidence that an episode so huge in concept was littered with so many tiny, affecting details. Like when Rebekah bitterly reminded Davina that she was only a vampire due to other peoples' whims. Or Davina telling Marcel that she was grateful for her life even though it was plainly obvious how short and limited it had been (Marcel was kind enough not to point his out). Heck, even that Fever Ray song that played at the end (watch the music video ASAP if you haven't already): All these little things enhanced how big and unpredictable the straight-up disaster film elements were. (Has there ever been a more awesome image on television than the flames that trailed Marcel and Davina into the cemetery?) I don't quite know the economics of creating a television series like this, or if episodes with this kind of intensity and largesse are too expensive to produce week after week. But I would love to see more on this scope, please. Regardless, something tells me that The Originals is now suddenly capable of keeping the feelings big even without graveyard fires or French Quarter ruination. Literal, metaphorical, it doesn't matter: Let's keep the disasters coming!

This show is epic finally. This episode was water-cooler television. What will happen next? I really don't know and I've never cared more. So good.

QUESTIONS

... Will Davina be back?

... Will Elijah like Celeste's new face?

... Does Thierry seem slightly upset about his current situation?

... Which character was your MVP for the week?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

Comments (230)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
MVP is a tie between Klaus and Marcel. To think, I used to find the latter beyond annoying, but his genuine compassion and caring for people won me over and his heartbreak over Davina dying was so well portrayed. I kind of really like his character now. As for Klaus, I've always thought him awesome, but then I always have a fondness for internally broken outsiders.
Flag
Wow. I was forced to watch this show by a friend after I'd made them watch one of my picks. I decided beforehand that I wasn't going to like it, but after the first few episodes, I found my resistance waning and myself watching it willingly. This was the episode, I have come to feel, that I am so glad I did. That was so, so good. I haven't been this affected by any show considered lesser than higher-tier - Breaking Bad, etc... - since the early Supernatural seasons (and Stiles in Teen Wolf). It was just so unexpected and unexpectedly moving. i didn't believe for a second that Davina would die, so when she did and it was clear she wasn't coming back (yet), I actually felt my spirit drop in shock. Then came that moment, all Marcel's grief and all Klaus' comfort and, I'm not afraid to say, I pretty much lost it.
Flag
1) She better be back. Her and Josh's friendship was the best.
2) Yeah. He's clearly still in love with her and I think Hayley realized after he didn't kiss her.
3) Lmao.
4) Hard to decide, honestly.
Flag
Who else here wants to ship Klaus and Kieran as the Originals version of Damon and Alaric!!?? I have! Ever since the scene with Klaus giving him the flask in the church. Damon and Alaric were deemed "team Bad Ass" so-I dunno what to call Klaus and Kieran! Team Church-Ass! or something? Maybe the "Double K"!-any way you put it, I care more about their relationship than I do about Klaus and Cammie.

Flag
Yes yes yes! These two are awesome. And Kieran is not afraid to tell klaus what's up. And he is just a man, sooo much weaker but he doesn't actually seem weak in front of Klaus. And there's something sturdy and unshakeable about Kieran that you can tell klaus likes. Love these two
Flag
Didn't Klaus say something to him the first time he met him like, "you know what I like about you father? You're aware of my reputation yet you stand tall against me. Admirable!" -someone needs to make a Klaus and Kieran Tumblr or something. And come up with a shipper name!
Flag
Team Church-Ass! Yes, lol! I hope somebody makes their tumblr!
Flag
Epiphany: No girl that Elijah either likes or loves, no matter how awesome they are, is EVER awesome enough to be with Elijah. and even just trying to be with Elijah makes them seem less awesome by comparison. And I'm a straight dude that would willingly enslave myself to Nina Dobrev or Phoebe Tonkin, and I'm saying this!! Such is the awesomeness of Elijah.
Flag
The huuuuuuug!!! Finally. I just always thought Klaus would be the receiver rather than the giver. So touching I wanted to hug both of them.

I love the relationship Klaus has with Kieran. There's definitely respect there. It even feels like Kieran has a glimpse of a father figure about him. It's so well done I want to see more of these two.

And the moment Hayley told Elijah about her sneaking. Letting down someone that honourable is going to hurt you as much as it hurts them. I can't believe they didn't kiss. I can't believe I want them to kiss! Hayley has really turned around being hateable, bravo.

Flag
1. I do hope so. She is such an incredible character.
2. I think Elijah will be pissed at her for being alive and not telling him.
3. He's probably just mad that the storm knocked out the wifi.
4. Klaus. He was just perfect for the whole episode.
Flag
That was unreal!!!!
Come back soon, Davina!
Flag
I feel like this should have been the midseason finale, it was so much more epic and with a way better cliffhanger than ep 9.
Flag
I'm really sorry to say this, but now more than ever I felt the show being about every character except Klaus. Lately I've had even problems considering him the main character! The focus on the Harvest and Davina's development as a character, the Hailey-Elijah romance, Rebekah's agenda, Sophie's. I felt like Klaus didn't fit in very well, or maybe I just felt him to be more of a sidekick to Elijah.
Flag
Where was Josh???? Davina was his bestie and he was nowhere to be seen to help/protect or whatever!!
Flag
Great Episode, and great review..every scene was just perfect!! it was truly an epic episode..with Klaus showing his caring,emotional side.. Elijah and Haley's romance taking almost a new turn,with Haley asking him to let go of the past..Rebekah plotting against Klaus..Marcel vulnerable!! Just Awesum!! Luved it :)
Flag
Love this episode. Davina coming to terms with her situation, and Klaus' moment with Marcel...I just can't. The one thing that bothered me though, is that the bodies of the three other girls should've fully decomposed by this time.
Flag
I justified it by thinking they are witches and on pause till the harvest is completed.
Flag
Lol, maybe. But how does nature balance that? Also, another thing that bothers me: how did Bonnie resurrect Klaus at the beginning of Season 4, with no consequences? Yet when she tries to bring back Jeremy, it kills her...
Flag
Lol....well Klaus is kind of a consequence all on its own.....the other thing I like to use as a mantra when things don't make sense.."it's in the script"...
Flag
One thing that kept bothering me this whole episode is the constant retconning of elijah, rebekah, and marcel's characters to make them seem more "caring". If I seem to remember correctly elena was in a very similar situation as davina where she had to die but elijah wasn't that torn up about that as he was for davina having to die when both of them were the victim in each situation. And since when is rebekah so protective of others and that BS about "girls having to stick together last week". And how many witches just like davina have marcel and his men killed because they practiced magic. How were they any different from davina. I just find it all a little out of character and just trying to make the main characters more relatable and likable
Flag
This is because The Originals is basically retconning EVERYTHING we've ever seen about the Mikaelsons and TVD has been doing its part in this for quite a long time.. :(
Flag
I dunno if anyone's done this yet, I haven't read all the comments, but can we please get a round of applause for Charles Michael Davis!? His performance was unbelievable in this episode. It was like he held back the tears till JUST the right minute, and then when they came, it was amazing!
Flag
I have a question. First, let me preface, I didn't pay a lot of attention to Davina's initial tale of the Harvest and the Reaping because she wasn't quite the awesome character we came to know yet. Plus as one of the intended sacrifices, she might have a different perspective. But, my question...so four were sacrificed, shouldn't that have enabled four witches to return? I only saw three (this is presuming Celeste having been around for a year arrived through totally different means, they don't seem to hide too many things here, so I assume she will tell us how she rose from the dead and why she conveniently did with this war against the Originals when they weren't around yet), so perhaps that is the easy out for Davina's return? Like that the additional resurrection magic had to go somewhere and it may as well return to the last offered (but maybe like one of the Bennetts grabbed her when she got to the Other Side to give her a heads up - I do imagine all four girls are like under Gram's tutelage now) and between her and Sophie they figure out a way when they kill each resurrected witch, another of the girl's rises.

Oh this leads to my other question...Sophie had to consecrate the bones of an elder to become an elder and then the Reaping was a separate thing? My impression was that through that little voo doo type doll Celeste just captured the magic from the Harvest not everything else...which would mean isn't Sophie an elder? And an elder who perhaps has direct and maybe even exclusive access to Esther Mikaelson's power, which always seemed scarier than what Bonnie could do.
More+
Flag
I was wondering the same things! Where was the fourth resurrected witch? Or did they just split the power of four between three so that they're all a little stronger?

I was sure Sophie was an elder now. I thought too that ritual was totally separate to the harvest. Where has all Esther's power gone if Sophie doesn't have it? Is it in Celeste?

I love your idea about each of the girls coming back when they kill one of the old resurrected witches :)
Flag
Only an elder could complete the harvest, so I guess Sophie has Esther's power?
Flag
I think too that a fourth resurrection is missing. Maybe she's keeping it as a trump card?
Flag
That was what lead to my question (that and that might have been why I didn't have much of a reaction to Davina's death, because like a dork I started to cry over Katherine's and she's evil whereas I actually like Davina, but because I don't believe we will never see her alive again). And if it isn't a trump card (either a double dose of power or one other witch she is waiting for), I thought it might be a weakness like it would start to overtake her like it did with Davina.
Flag
I wouldn't expect an expert witch like Celeste to lose control of that power anytime soon!
Flag
I think the light going up Celeste's arm was the 4th witches power.. that was what I assumed when I was watching it anyway.
Flag
I guess it was either that but since it looked just like the light that left Davina's arm as she died I just figured it was only the magic that was supposed to go back into the community that Sophie coulduse to raise the girls.
Flag
None of that's been revealed. If you think the girls aren't dead maybe Celeste is using the fourth witches power to keep them all alive and in suspended animation.
Flag
Hmm...interesting. I would think though Celeste would be fine with them staying dead since she likely has not let go with whatever her issue with the witches of her time that she didn't want to be buried in a place where her power might be subsumed back into the earth to be redistributed to the witches. Unless of course she was using Elijah all along, planning this and just waiting out three other witches powerful enough to take on the Original vampires who would have the vendetta and in time to catch the benefit of a Harvest (so she had to wait for the elder who directed this Harvest who Marcel killed when he saved Davina). Ugh, poor Elijah in that case, he thought she was the love of his life and his siblings are going to blame him for this mess and he might have just given Hayley permission to do whatever when it is likely she is the actual second love of his life (I honestly don't remember who might be the other).
Flag
Apparently it was one of Elena's original dopplegangers (it was mentioned in TVD)
Flag
I had a vague memory of a Talia or something like that.
Flag
if you really want to know who lives/dies you can always check imdb. maybe they should change their cast summary layout so that people can look up actors without having to spoil anything in the process.
Flag
Poor Davina, she really suffered this episode...!!
So Davina is dead now, the Harvest is done, but didn't work...so none of the 4 girls are returning...:(:(:(:( Would have like them together using their powers against the vampires...that would have been a good storyline..
Poor Haley, she made a big mistake this episode...in the end i thought they would kiss, but she didn't....i would kiss Elijah in a heartbeat if i got the chance...!!!!!!!
Marcel was awesome this episode, he really cared for her. The end scene was really weird. Was like watching Klaus (the father) comforting Marcel(his son)....was a nice touch...
Wonder what is going to happen now....??

Flag
Elijah turned his face away at the last minute -- so regardless of what Hailey wanted there wasn't going to be a kiss.
Flag
I was also looking forward to fire-breathing Davina, but we didn't even get to see burping/farting Davina during the wind stage!
Shocker that Davina 'died'. Excellent episode.
Flag
Easily the best episode to date. It's handy having such an established ensemble in it's first season and writers that know how to use them. It's good when a spin-off works.
Flag
Loved the Celeste twist ending. Nuff said)
Flag
I am by no means a Hayley hater-and I think Phoebe Tonkin may be the hottest girl on television, and if she weren't pregnant I would totally have supported Klaus's idea of throwing her in a dungeon for some hot wolfy bondage fun, but was anyone else annoyed by how she basically just asked Elijah if he had forgiven her yet? I mean, I don't even remember he saying she was "sorry" until AFTER she asked him if she was forgiven! did she apologize before that? Cuz I thought she just kept saying "say something! say something!" to Elijah until Klaus told her to apologize. Then her way of doing it was to say -"Am I forgiven yet!? ...Oh, and BTW I'm sorry."- she didn't even deserve an almost kiss for that apology! And also, Elijah mentioned he was in love twice. Who was the other girl besides Celeste? Tatia? Catherine!? Someone we've never met? Surely he can't be in love with Hayley yet.
Flag
Not that this is the world's deepest or most complex shows (though I'm a fan), one of the thing that's neat about having vampires as characters is that you get these scenes between someone like Hailey who's had only twenty something years of life experience and Elijah who has had thousands. He should be able to see through anything that Hailey throws at him. The question would be whether he would care.
Flag
No matter how smart, bad ass, or generally awesome you are, love can make you really, really intensely stupid.
That's basically the entire theme of the Vampire Diaries.
Flag
I like Father Kieran. Even though he's dealing with all this supernatural crazy business he was acting just like a normal priest taking in food donations and helping out homeless people. Albeit the homeless people were werewolves and the canned ham donations were from werewolf vampire hybrid monster creatures, but if anyone else here was raised catholic, they know all this supernatural, blood drinking, witchy woo-woo stuff is pretty much the same thing as Catholicism anyway.
Flag
Ouch.

Though what else can Father Kieran do? From his perspective he tries to keep things as normal as possible and keep the residents of the city from getting hurt by the supernaturals.
Flag
I dunno if I came off as sarcastic, but I actually was being honest-I actually DO like him! I think he knows he can't stop the supernaturals, so best he can do is deal with them. My comment about Catholicism was also not meant to be ironic. I have non-catholic friends who have been to Catholic weddings and the whole "blood of Christ" thing, along with the chanting and various other stuff-they tell me to them it reminds them of some vampire ceremony. That's why I think Catholics fit right into this Universe. Dunno if they have explicitly stated that the O'Connell family is Catholic but -they are named O'CONNELL!! So Irish Catholic is a safe bet.
Flag
KLAUCEL!!! I ship it.
Flag
Is it bad that my first thought (when we originally saw the three already-dead sacrifices) was that I hope their throats re-seal when they come back to life?

What a twist to have a resurrection not happen! I was seriously surprised, and almost pleasantly so. I absolutely LOVE Davina, and I want her to return very badly - but it was nice to see things NOT play out perfectly. Like Price said, I feel like this throws the door wide open for sensational story lines later.

I loved this episode. It was a heart-breaking tear-jerker of a strong episode and it was very well done. The emotional responses of the characters made every second of sadness more than worth it.
Flag
It would suck if they had to spend the rest of their lives walking around with slit open throats. It's very thoughtful of you to first hope that they recover.
Flag
This is just me: With the story as it goes so far, The Originals can still pull a "Brian Griffin" on us. Or at least I hope. Just remember how many times some beloved characters died on The Vampire Diaries and then they came back from the dead :P.
Flag
It would be nice though if death actually meant something though XD That said, just the twist about Celeste made me realize that meaning won't come back anytime soon..
Flag
That's true, is just that I would like to see more of Davina. She was awesome.
Flag
Oh I totally agree with you, she's probably the one character I would want to "un-die" *.*
Flag
Hi Price, I now the teen wolf and TVD picture reviews take a lot of time but the are brilliant and hilarious and would love to see them also for the Originals. Just a thought, just in case you can be persuaded... :)
Flag
he does recaps for 2 shows for the same night so sometimes it can be a little difficult..
Flag
MVP? That would be Sheriff Forbes, This was a hell of a story. Who knew Marguerite MacIntyre couls write this good? (Well, Julie Plec must have known...)
Flag
DAYUM. That's pretty much all I can say tbh
Flag
I think Davina will come back--Celeste only resurrected three people and four were killed.
Flag
I think that Celeste is the 4th. She took some of the power into herself.
Flag
I thought that was the power Sophie supposedly got from consecrating Mama Original.
Also how could the 4th resurrection be Celeste if she was already alive & walking around. I'm actually more interested in how she was alive & walkin around anyway. Course, if they're sticking with TVD logic, there's probably no point even askin these questions :/
Flag
Maybe she wants her old body back?

I still don't understand the Celeste situation. I'm wondering though if she's possessing Sabine (sort of like Emily Bennett possessed Bonnie temporarily in Season 1 or the way Esther possessed Rebekah in Season 3) or if it's something else.
Flag
I was thinking the possessed route too.
Flag
lol!! TVD logic... a new category of logic...
Flag
OMG Davina! Like WOW! She was so good! She's great at nipping on your heart strings
Flag
Can we talk about how insanly attractive Klaus is in a hoodie while it's raining!
Flag
not even sure where to start lol.

But i think for this ep, i prefer him in the beginning where he walked in and saw drawings of celeste
Flag
Yes. Please.
Flag
...Davina may come back. If those witches were to be deceased again, the power has to go somewhere. And I think someone unexpected will handle that.
...Elijah's dodging the kiss this time may be about him figuring out Celeste was alive.
...Thierry may find himself needed more than ever when The Originals figure out Celeste was behind all this.
...Davina.

...and of course they had to use the song "If I Had a Heart" from Fever Ray when the witches were powering up :D
Flag
I kind of expect these evil Elders to be dealt with and then the 4 sacrifices to be brought back... because they said something about it had been a year, but none of those bodies were remotely decomposing... so they'll be back probably.
Flag
I totally agree. I think that the endgame here is to bring back the 4 girls. Once everyone figures out that the magic has been hijacked and how to deal with the 4 resurrected witches, then they will bring the girls back to life. Of course my problem with this is, will Davina still be cool without all of her superpowers?
Flag
Davina was my MVP for the episode but Rebekah is my MVP for life.
Flag
Loved this episode! I really liked that the originals were working together even if they were bickering. Although Marcel was being a bit of an idiot in trying to stop the harvest I did feel really sorry for him and it made me like him more to see how much he genuinely cared about Davina.
I did love Klaus telling Hayley to apologise to Elijah because he's good at forgiving and the revelation that he had already been protecting some of the wolves. The hug between Klaus and Marcel was a great moment as was Klaus admitting that he had been unable to even say Marcel's name after he thought he had died.
I'm not a particular Elijah/Hayley shipper but the almost kiss was pretty cruel! Come on Elijah, you don't lean in like that, get everyone's hopes up and then pull away- not cool!
I'm very excited about Celeste being back and having resurrected the other three witches.
I don't think that Davina is really dead i think that she will be back however, I'm not sure about her friends.
Flag
I think it gets obscured because they are beautiful and ageless and are currently adversaries but Marcel is as close to a child as Klaus has had up to this point. Remember that Marcel was a little orphaned boy when Klaus rescued him and couldn't have turned him until he was in his twenties or so. So, sociopathy aside it makes sense that Klaus might have, locked away somewhere, strong feelings for Marcel and vice versa. Though I'm generally cynical and tend to think that Klaus always has an angle or some agenda stemming from his emotional needs when he does nice things.
Flag
I feel terribly sorry for Elijah. He is faithful to a fault, and yet the woman he loved/loves betrayed him for centuries. I'd like to see Elijah happy, with other characters he cares about treating him with compassion.
Flag
1. I think Davina might come back. Maybe they'll be able to fix what happened and bring back the four girls and get rid of those other people.
2. I'm more interested in how long it's going to take Elijah to figure it out and why Celeste has a new face.
3. Who wouldn't be upset in that situation? I wonder if the Garden flooded and everyone got out or something (how else would Tyler have made it back to Mystic Falls?)
4. I also thought Klaus was really good this week.
Flag
Is Marcel going to have to exile himself to the basement for killing two of his vampires?

Davina better be back. After they defeat Celeste the power will go back to the 4 who were supposed to be resurrected and then those 4 will become the new nemesis.

I knew there was something wrong with Sabine from day one.

Rebekkah is playing all sides for her own power play so Thierry and any other ally that Rebekkah has better be worried. I love R, but I also know that she treats everyone else as disposable.

MVP of the week was Elijah.
Flag
He snapped their necks, right? I didn't see any hearts ripped out.
Flag
I was thinking that neck snapping killed the lesser vamps.
Flag
I did not agree with Hayley's 'if I want something I take it' speech.

However, I am enjoying the fact that Klaus wears shirts that are far too tight. That is nice.

Also, Elijah in high collared coats. That is nice.
Flag
It's kinda funny how its Hayley & Klaus who're so alike but simply tolerate each other. Even on TVD, they hooked up Bcoz the ppl they liked were dating each other.
Flag
Before I get to my usual rants, I would like to praise this episode for keeping Devina dead at the end. Even if they reverse it later (they probably will), it was still the best decision because if this would have worked...

Well you are basically telling any nut job that deals with some fanatic religious cult to just go with it... I loved the fact they kept it real and even more so Haley's speech about chosing the living over the dead.

Just like the horrible messages TVD gave recently regarding suicide, this is something you simply should never never encourage.

That being said... As I said, I have to rant here:

Why were everyone so easily willing to kill Devina off without a safety just in case? Couldn't they have her drink Vampire blood? We know witches can turn (See Bonnie's mother). Even if they can explain that it will be bad for the ritual, at least consider doing a safety measure to keep Devina safe just in case.
Nobody was even willing to discuss it.

And for the love of whatever, Are we ever going to see Tyler again?
They brought him in for 5 minutes and then just keep him in a dungeon? Even when the whole town could be destroyed?
Does Trevino has the worst agent in the world or something?!?
More+
Flag
So basically what they're saying is Damon's smarter than Marcel coz he manages to keep Elena alive every time someone tries to kill her or she has to be sacrificed as part of a spell. Yea, i don't buy it either.
Flag
Never seeing Tyler again would be fine with me.
Flag
they wanted Davina to still be a witch when she was resurrected....if they gave her vamp blood she would be a vampire
Flag
Which is why I said it would be acceptable if somebody talked about it.
But the fact that nobody even bothered is absurd.
Compare this to Elena's presumed death in TVD season 2.
Flag
When Elijah was talking to 'Sabine' about losing Celeste this episode, I was like - Elijah, you whore. You better not be starting something with this witch now, too... I guess I was half right. But seriously Elijah, what a tease! I'm not particularly interested in a Hayley/Elijah pairing, but who grabs someone and gets all in their face, only to be like 'psych! I won't kiss you... today...'

Great episode, but the absence of Camille and Josh was noted. And I'm also curious as to who the 4th Celeste resurrected will be...
Flag
I don't think Celeste resurected 4 people. I think she shares the power with 4 people including herself, and if any of them are dead, well they get instantly resurected.

If not... Well there are only other two possible characters: Esther or Cami's brother.
Flag
Cami's brother wasn't a witch. If he had powers so would Cami & Klaus wouldn't have been able to compel her.
As for Esther, she was boring. All she ever did was try to kill her own kids, get 1 son to hanker for suicide & then fail at all of it. They even found & re-killed her off-screen. That's how lame she is. The only interesting things about Esther on TVD were the the bloody crow spell she did to bind her kids & her nagging Klaus to bring a date to the ball.
Flag
Yes, I agree. I think Celeste is the fourth though you wonder where she got the initial power to resurrect herself or to take someone else's body (as I would think that is what she may have done). The bones Sophie dug up were probably not hers though in retrospect her comments about Sophie's irreverence when speaking of them have more meaning now. I wonder what her end game is - to destroy Klaus maybe?

Has she been alive for hundreds of years or only for a year or only recently? I wonder - I'm trying to think back to the other things the character has done - like side with the last elder before Elijah dispatched her.
Flag
When Sabine/Celeste was resurrecting the three witches, she was using the skull Sophie consacrated before, so maybe those were actually Celeste's original bones?
Flag
My theory is that the power from the original harvest ritual ( a year ago) was diverted to resurrect her. She definitely wants revenge on Klaus and I am guessing that the other resurrected people have something against him too.
Flag
Celeste mentioned that she had inhabited Sabine's body for a year already, that's the reason I wouldn't think Celeste is the fourth...
Flag
She didn't actually say she'd inhabited her body. She said that she'd endured being called Sabine for a year. For all we know at this point the bones that Sophie found in that grave are Sabine's and Celeste just assumed her looks.
Flag
Was anyone else wondering where Josh and Cammie were? I know it's tough to get every character in a show with a cast this big to all appear in the same episode, but if you're gonna do it, it might as well be for an episodic like this. Nothing quite brings people together like a string of Irwin Allen level natural disasters. I would've thought the Devina plot line would have coincided with Josh (or she could have mentioned him in her death speech to make it sound like she had at least FOUR friends) and I really thought Cammie was going to be one of the "people" Klaus was going to warn. Does anyone else think maybe they did film a scene like that but deleted it because of time constraints? (this episode was jam packed)
Flag
There was so much going on that I totally forgot about them. I didn't miss them at all and it was only when I started to read other people's comments I realized they were missing.

I wasn't really surprised though. On TVD it seems like the only people in every episode are Damon/Stefan/Elena. Caroline, Bonnie, Matt, Jeremy, etc... aren't in every episode.
Flag
For that matter ... Where is Tyler?!? Still locked in a basement?
Flag
I dunno, but Klaus is gonna be on TVD 100th episode tomorrow and Tyler is scheduled to be in the 101st episode the following week, so either they will explain what happened, or we just assume that Marcel and Rebekah let him go after their plan went wonky.
Flag
For the record, if you're talking about stuff in a future episode you really should put out a spoiler alert
Flag
OK-sorry. The Klaus on TVD 100th episode reveal has been all over the commercials for the last week on the CW but I understand some people don't watch the shows on TV .
Flag
Best part was the Mickelson family's reaction to the second earthquake, just all calm while Sophie was all like WTF
Flag
While the episode had powerful feelings and a surprising cliffhanger, it was ruined by Marcel's pendulum decisions (changing every 10 mins), the disturbing filming sequence and the loss of two great potential characters (Davina and Esther). Davina had great potential and Esther could be resurrected at the final season of TO to kill her children at last, terminating the series and along with them all the characters on TVD finale episode. That would be a most tragic way to end the franchise and quite fitting if I may add.

Also, Klaus confronting his progeny was a huge waste of potential, I was expecting a much more "vampiric" confront or at least a more profound dialogue...

I, myself, found it the 2nd weakest episode of TO if you exclude the great cliffhanger. As for Celeste, I will be splitting fire if such a powerful witch was truly killed by humans as the show have us believe until now...
Flag
Yeah, this episode was just. Fantastic. I made the mistake of choosing to watch it before Supernatural, and then I didn't want to watch Supernatural because I just wanted to savor the awesome epicness of this episode.

Soooo many great character moments. You absolutely could not dislike Marcel in this episode, and I think it may have been the first episode, for me, where I really felt for him. I liked him as a character before this, but this episode really made me feel for him. Like I knew it was pointless that he was trying to save Davina, but oh man, the feels. I saw some people said his goodbye scene with Davina could be taken too romantically or something weird like that, but sorry, I don't agree AT ALL. I very much had a child-guardian vibe from them, and it was heartbreaking. As was the hug scene with Klaus.

BTW, pretty sure Davina will be back, though in what form, or how like herself she'll be? That I don't know. I'd kind of like to see her come back pissed and twisted and maybe even a little evil.

I also really loved the dynamic between Hayley and Klaus in this episode. The scene where he told her to just apologize to Elijah was great, because even though I assured myself the writers weren't going there, I did harbor a tiny concern that they were still wanting to do a love triangle with those 3. This just finally affirmed to me that they won't (at least, not anytime soon).

And the almost-kiss with Hayley/Elijah! That was what, the third or fourth time? AGJHSLDJSLJDSJDLKJ!

I even felt for Sophie when she started sobbing over her niece's still-dead body, and she's definitely been the most boring character so far.

I have to say, I'm still not super invested in Rebekah's scheme to take down the boys, even though it would be awesome to see her in charge. I guess I'm just not anticipating great plotting there because Klaus's takedown of Marcel wasn't always the most captivating television. But maybe the writers have learned and will do better with Rebekah.

Lastly, I so went and downloaded that Fever Ray song straightaway, once the show was over. Also the song by the National that played when Davina died and didn't come back. I find so much good music through this show, it's awesome.
More+
Flag
I agree about Sophie, even though I've always felt a bit for her. She's such a desperate character that I totally understand her reasons!
Flag
I agree about Marcel.
Flag
Can this Hayley/Elijah nonsense stop. It's just eww.
Flag
Have to disagree. Lots of chemistry there. Then again we all have different opinions and that's what makes these shows fun to watch and discuss.
Flag
If were resurrecting people now is the perfect time to bring back Kol
Flag
^this^ x a million
Flag

Me during the Klaus/ Marcel hug

Flag
Very strong episode, but I think it was poor judgment to use If I had a heart by Fever Ray at the end. It's the Viking theme song!
Flag
THANK YOU! I knew that sounded familiar!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members