A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

Before I tell you what to expect from The Originals this fall, I have a story I'd like to tell, so gather 'round, kids. Here goes: Comic-Con is mostly one big blur in my memory. It was fun, exhausting, exciting, and busy, but my favorite moment came when I was in the press room for The Originals and Charles Michael Davis (Marcel) proceeded to get choked up about his own experience at Comic-Con.

"I had a moment last night where I was like, 'Oh my God, this is so special,'" he said. "Everyone's here, they come out here with their family and their friends and they camp out at night... it gets me kind of emotional." If Davis hadn't already won me over as Marcel in the show's backdoor pilot, that moment right there would have done it. It's nice to see actors who, while taking time out of their busy schedules to show up at Comic-Con and answer the same five questions over and over, actually appreciate the experience.

Okay, now that I've filled your hearts with all kinds of warm and fuzzy feelings, please squash them immediately. Because feelings are terrible and if Klaus were here, you know he'd tell us that feelings make us weak. And also because The Originals executive producer Julie Plec has promised that the TVD spin-off will be "darker, more Gothic, [and] more operatic" than its parent show, and that it will be "visceral in its violence."  So get ready, as we're about to talk blood and murder and weird werewolf/vampire/hybrid babies. 

You've (probably) already seen the pilot, at least in its early form—it aired as part of The Vampire Diaries' fourth season this past spring—but when you tune in this fall (The Originals premieres October 15 at 8pm on The CW), you'll notice that a few things are missing. Namely, the scenes featuring Damon, Stefan, and Elena. That means the writers have another 10 to 15 minutes to play with. "They're going to put in pieces that will tell a hell of a lot more of the story," said Daniel Gillies, who plays everyone's favorite Original, Elijah. So what will those pieces be? "They will tell a lot more about Phoebe [Tonkins]'s character and the pregnancy, and Elijah's interaction with that." Which is good, because that storyline is hella confusing. Gillies also mentioned that we'll see the series' second episode through Elijah's eyes, because the people behind The Originals are clearly very smart people who really know their audience.

But you know who might not understand the show's audience? Series star Joseph Morgan, who said he was worried that no one would show up for the show's panel at Comic-Con (someone clearly isn't spending enough time on Tumblr). "We just did the panel in the ballroom and it was full of people," he said, excitedly. "It was such a relief, because I was wondering 'Is anyone going to show up?' You know, like you throw a party and no one comes kind of thing?" Of course, it's worth noting that Morgan last attended Comic-Con in 2011, after only appearing in a few episodes of The Vampire Diaries. "No one really knew who I was, so it's a bit of a different experience this time."

As for the big bombshell that Klaus is going to be a daddy, Morgan said he didn't see it coming. "For some reason I didn't put it together that it was Klaus's baby. I knew it was Hayley who was having this baby, and it was just after we'd filmed the episode where we, you know, get it on, and still I didn't put it together." It's all right, JM, we didn't see it coming, either.

And Morgan isn't really sure how that storyline will play out. "I don't know what's going to happen. I don't know if the baby's going to survive or if Klaus is going to want the baby in the end. I know he wants it right now; he likes the idea of an heir, but not because he has any illusions about family, just because he believes it will bring him power." Sigh, it's always about power with you, Klaus.

"The most exciting thing for me about that storyline is the idea of this bloodthirsty, murdering, sociopath with a tiny, little, vulnerable newborn baby," Morgan continued. "And if he starts to care about that baby and then that relationship is threatened... woe betide the person who comes between them." Yes, Morgan is the type of person who uses phrases like "woe betide" without even blinking. Swoon.

However, if you're one of many folks who's still upset about the Hayley's-pregnant-with-Klaus's-baby thing, Phoebe Tonkin assured us that there's more to Hayley's story than just the pregnancy. We're going to start exploring Hayley's character and where she came from. And on that note, Plec pointed out that Tyler Lockwood and Caroline Forbes were two characters who no one really gave a crap about in the first season of TVD (I might be paraphrasing a bit), and look at them now. "It wasn't until we were able to explore them supernaturally that we really got to know them as people," Plec said. So there you have it. Back off, Hayley haters. Hayley's probably about to become really awesome. Maybe. Hopefully.

And to everyone who's still worried about Hayley coming between Klaus and Caroline, Tonkin is firmly on Team Caroline. "Klaus and Hayley always had a chemistry, but it wasn't romantic," she assured us. Unfortunately, Morgan was whisked away from our table before he could answer any questions about the Klaroline ship (because really, what else is there to talk about?), but Plec did say that hope is not lost.

"When we continued to play [Klaus and Caroline's] story in Season 4 and draw them closer... we really believed that was the path for those two characters to go down," she said. "Knowing a spin-off might happen, we didn't want to make a bunch of false promises that we couldn't deliver on. But we also didn't want to say, 'None of what you just saw matters.'" As they move forward with The Originals, "our challenge will be, how can we keep her in that world as a notion and an idea and then hopefully, eventually, as a person, in Candice Accola doing a spot?" Well, it won't be easy. "That comes down to scheduling, logistics, etc.," Plec explained. But she's keeping her fingers crossed, and so am I.

So what do you guys think? Will you watch The Originals? Are you excited that Daniel Gillies and his hair will be on your TV every. single. week? Are you still upset about the baby thing?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

60 Comments
Comments (60)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I wany see Cariba Hein as the first born on The Originals (H2ORikki)
Flag
Can't be darker and more adult with the baby storyline, Julie! I really hope it's a hoax the witches came up with to make Klaus kill Marcel. And then, poof, no baby, just a little hocus-pocus from the witches making the vampires hearing the baby's heart... Please be like this!
Flag
  • Daniel and his hair should ALWAYS be on our television.
  • It's really awkward when I find myself looking more forward to The Originals than I do TVD.
  • It's TVD for adults, which makes me feel incremementally better about being an adult who finds herslef being so enthralled with shows about teenagers.
  • I knew Joseph Morgan was the type to use quite an extensive vocabularly, but you add into it the bloody accent of his, and the fact that his voice is like freaking velvet and I'd swoon a thousand times over and I don't even do that swooning shizz.
  • Joseph Morgan obviusly is well on the path to greatness at this point. The man is incredible, and a real treasure and he's becomoing more mainstream by the second. He truly deserves that becuase he's a real talent.
  • Um, see, the thing about the Hayley and Tyler/Caroline argument is for the most aprt I still don't care about Tyler or Caroline. Also, I'm still not a Hayley fan. The character is just not interesting. I'll see how it goes in October though.
Flag
I really want the Originals to do well because I love that family. Don't really know how to feel about the baby storyline, it just seems like they didn't need it. Stop teasing us about Klaroline!!!
Flag
i cant wait to see what happens i wonder how carolines going to act when she finds out klause got hayley pregnet after wat he said to her after the graduation thing( that was the sweetest thing ever )and i wonder are they gonna metion something about cilis and stephen being twins but other than that lol im wildy excited for season 5 to start and hahahahaha did i metion im really ecited (-: :-p oh and lol please forgive my spelling because i no i misspelled that guy name who was imprisond with the cure
Flag
I'm just excited about Marcel.

I mean I love Elijah... but Marcel has won my heart. :)
Flag
I am VERY excited for The Originals! I just hope it does well against S.H.I.E.L.D. I've wondered WHY it just didn't follow TVD, but whatever. :)
I'm looking forward to the show, not just cuz of my favorite Original, Elijah, but also a chance for Klaus to be a real character & not just the de-fanged badass that he was on TVD. LOVED Marcel! LOVED. I'm not a Hayley fan OR a let's-throw-a-baby-in-the-plot fan, but I will wait to see what Plec & the writers create before I get all worried!
This reminds me when Angel spun off from Buffy. I ended up liking Angel juuuust a smidge more than Buffy because they were able to tell more "grown up," darker stories.
Flag
I also agree with your Angel/Buffy comparison. It would be nice to get out of teenville USA
Flag
Wait wait..its up against S.H.I.E.L.D. CRAP CRAP!!! lol

I don't mean in a .. its not going to do well sort of way..but in a wtf I want to watch both!! lol
Flag
Right? I'm not which I'll watch & which I'll record.
Flag
It sounds to me like The Originals will be something between TVD (which frankly it's gotten a bit boring) and TB (I guess TB went boring two seasons ago and it seems a bit better on its 6th)... I am mildly intrigued but not really THAT excited...
Flag
Oh, and I really like Marcel - just wanted to add that, because I know a lot of people didn't find him a good villain. I think he's great, though. People keep saying he's boring because, being a regular vamp, Klaus is more powerful than him. But Klau's has other vulnerabilities now that have nothing to do with his life being threatened - like the baby, for instance? And he's probably going to continue to forge more relationships with other characters, who can then also be hurt and be taken away from him.

I do question, a little, why Klaus wouldn't just pre-emptively take out Marcel, but there are 2 reasons I could buy - one, that he and Marcel were once really close (like him and Stefan maybe), so he just really doesn't want to, if he doesn't have to. And secondly, that taking out Marcel alone wouldn't be helpful, because Marcel owns the city and clearly has a lot of vampire allies - I know Klaus is an Original, but a whole city of vamps after him could still prove to be problematic, to say the least.
Flag
I am super, super excited for the Originals. Way more than TVD. In fact, it's in the top 3 shows I'm most excited for (the other two being Supernatural and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - which are all on the same night! - oh wait, I forgot about Arrow - okay, top 4, then :D).

I was initially a Hayley hater, when she was on TVD, but I'm really determined to give the character another chance. Because I'm excited for this show and really want to like it. And I really like Phoebe Tonkin - Hayley was just annoying to me on TVD because she didn't seem to fit into the very well, she seemed just sort of added in. And of course, she was coming between Caroline and Tyler, a couple I really liked at the time. And I thought her motivation for doing "evil" things was dumb - she wanted to find her birth parents. Like when she and Klaus slept together, and she was all, 'I am so dark like you,' I was like, honey, please. You were given up for adoption, deal with it. Your darkness so comes nowhere close to his darkness.

That said... putting her on a different show makes a lot of that moot. I think she'll fit in well on the Originals, and I can kind of forgive all this business about her birth parents now, since it seems it was mostly set up for her character's story on the new show. TL;DR, I really want to like the character, so I am resetting my feelings for Hayley and giving her a second chance.

Also, I know a lot of people think Hayley threatens Klaroline, but I don't really see that. Actually, I don't see much romance between Klaus and Hayley at all - I think it's much more interesting if this baby creates more conflict between them, instead of romance. I can really see them disagreeing about the baby and what should happen with it, how it should be raised - I mean, Hayley's probably not gonna be okay with just handing her baby over to be Klaus's 'heir.' So that should be interesting.
More+
Flag
I have a feeling I'm going to like The Originals much more than I like Vampire Diaries. For starters, JM and DG. If that wasn't enough, CMD. Besides the actors, I think I'll like the tone of the show more.
Flag
I love seeing the Original family kicking ass and hopefully taking their city back. I'm still not convinced about this pregnancy storyline but JP is right about how I didn't like Caroline until she vamped up. However we've always known Hayley was a werewolf (personally, I preferred her as a mermaid hehe). I think the best interactions will be a result of Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah supporting each other and finally acting like a family and taking back New Orleans. Also I'm definitely still holding out for klaroline, that is the ultimate end game.
Flag
I'm only moderately excited for this, because I HATED that Marcel character. I love that JoMo will still be on my TV on a weekly basis, so thats good, and I agree with him in that I'm excited to see how he'll deal with the child and if his fatherly protectiveness will kick in at any stage. I love Phoebe Tonkin, so hopefully her character will continue to improve. I also love Rebekah, and now that people wont be trying to dagger her every few minutes, she might just get to be fairly awesome.
Don't think its fair to tease us about continuing Klaroline, but I will continue to hold out hope!
Flag
I think this show could be quite good, but only if they introduce a good villain. The witches aren't super strong, and that Marcel dude is SUPER BORING!
Flag
Also, the fact that the Originals are the actual original vampires makes them stronger than anyone else. I know that in TVD the balance between age and power kept on losing importance, but I still hope they make Marcel threatening from a psychological point of view.
Flag
I guess we will have to see where the baby-storyline goes. Maybe it won't be so awful. We can hope. Right? RIGHT?

But more screen time for Joseph Morgan and Daniel Gillies means the show is already awesome. I'm definitely putting this show down on my wathclist.
Flag
i cant effing wait. and I hope people start respecting Rebekah cuz she's awesome.
Flag
Sorry it still sounds awful to me.
Flag
C'mon...really?? Absolutely nothing on my Rebekah??
Flag
Staff
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to speak with Claire. I'm just as upset as you are. Rebekah is one of my favorite characters.
Flag
I hear you! I now understand how you feel...I'm already sad and disappointed in here! Hope I will read another review soon...and will be at least a tiny minuscule mention of her presence (which I find to be a big deal) in this great show.
Flag
I think baby storylines (in a world filled with vicious careless murderers) is a great opportunity for character development. So many scenes and dynamics and emotions! I cant wait!
Flag
Can someone explain to me why everyone hates Hayley? I thought she got such little screen time on TVD that she barely registered with me as a recurring character, let alone one I hated.

Seems silly for the writers to persuade fans to keep on holding out for a Klaus and Caroline relationship. There's no point of having your main character in a relationship with someone who is never seen, even if she does occasionally do guest appearances!

Besides wasn't the back door pilot hinting on something between Klaus and Camille? (that bartender Klaus met at the fountain).
Flag
She's a serious backstabber who orchestrated the hybrid massacre and none of that was ever really addressed. Klaus went ballistic and yet he not only spared her(didn't even torture her) he had sex with her? It's a HUGE plot hole. If it wasn't for the minimal amounts of female characters on the spin-off and the whole thing with Secret Circle, I doubt she would have survived the season. In TVD, the whole thing with Katherine suddenly hunting down Hayley and Klaus protecting her feels shoe-horned in. Now we know that the baby plot is the reason why.
Flag
Love that we are going to see more of the Originals, Love them as the main characters but I don't get why Hayley is in there! I hate the baby storyline and she was completely unimportant in TVD. Hate Hayley I hope they kill her at the end of season 1!!!
Flag
I'm really excited! I hope it's more compelling and less convoluted than TVD has become. I also hope the character Hayley gains likability from the series' audience (I've never had a problem with the character, personally, but she is devious though). And I don't hate the baby plot at all, I think it could make for interesting character development like mentioned above, and explore or introduce new supernatural ideas. I hope it does.

But hope is far too a committal agreement with expectations. And we know where that leads...
Flag
One of my favorite parts of the back door pilot was Marcel. He was charming and he seems like he could give Klaus a run for his money. I must say that I really like what I've seen of the actor. He seems like a nice guy who is happy for his job.

The baby thing makes no sense to me. I don't care if Klaus is half werewolf, he's also dead. We saw him get stabbed in the heart and die. He's okay because of vampirism. So, he's dead and that means he can't give life. Maybe if this happened right after death or like he was cursed with vampirism but hadn't died yet I could have bought it. Now, nope. I'm calling BS.

I'm sorry, but I can't stand Hayley. She comes on the screen and I'm just like no. NO! NOOOOO!

Elijah! I'll give this show one hell of a chance just because he's on here. I love him so.

More adult? Seriously? What does that even mean? It's not like this is HBO. If someone could help me figure out what more adult means for Plec and the CW you'll get cookies.
Flag
They won't be in high school which the TVD characters hardly attend anyway. I think they really mean is The Originals have no need for town events, parties, and/or school related functions as the scene and distraction for mass mayhem. We're in the big city now, if these guys want to massacre people, they'll massacre and do it gladly. No need to cover it up, cause in New Orleans nobody cares, the blood flows freely haha.

The whole baby thing is a joke. I totally agree, dead is dead. Can Tyler have babies? Would the other hybrids have been able to? We'll never know because Hayley had them all killed. How convenient. How does a baby balance nature? They better explain that beyond "your the original hybrid" or they're going to lose a lot of viewers. Introducing this plotline off the back is already risky. Hayley is not likeable and I know my opinion on that is not going to change.
Flag
*Hands cookies*
Flag
First, kudos for the little inserted quotes from the show, very nice and yes I'm looking forward to Elijah, our favourite Original. I can't wait for them to explore him a little more, hopefully something that draws to his pasted that isn't directly related to any of his siblings.

I also hope we get to know more about where Hayley comes from, there's been some talk about she may descended from the Original Werewolf clan which I support, anything special or unusual with her family line is welcome and not just another Lockwood.

Marcel and the witches. I don't know, I don't like Marcel is he's all partying all day but that the show is supposed to be darker with witches and werewolves rather than teen drama and only vampires I'm all for it. I wonder what his secret weapon really is and how he acquired it.

As for the baby I think it will be pure werewolf, whatever that means. Vampires can't procreate, in any fiction that I know of, and considering it was Klaus's werewolf side that was able to make Hayley pregnant in the first place I hope they don't go with some vamp/wolf/witch/hybrid/new species kind of thing. Keep it simple as a pure werewolf then develop a separate story arc for it if there's resources and time for it.
More+
Flag
Yeah a pure werewolf that Klaus can't make into a hybrid because he has no more of Elena's "human" blood. I do kinda hope that the baby..gets accelerated aging. Cause man.. a baby? On this show lol
Flag
Which would negate the whole "pure" portion. Katherine is around is Mystic Falls though...
Flag
I am so excited especially that there is going to be more Klus and Elijah!!!!!!
Flag
The baby story is really off-putting, I'm sorry. The whole thing is just cringe-worthy and it kind of ruins the cool new stuff like Marcel and the witches. I have tried over and over again to like Hayley and I just find her completely obnoxious. Caroline and Tyler weren't particularly liked, but I feel like this character is just outright hated, so I don't know that people will warm up to her. I'm excited for more Klaus, Elijah, and Rebekah, though.
Flag
I haven't seen the vamp diaries but i just decided to watch the original pilot to see if i'd like it. It literally has the best soundtrack ever!!
Flag
Most CW shows do, one of the benefits of their target audience being skewed towards a younger generation.
Flag
Elijah!!!!!

Also, is it just me, or are there just too many similarities to the Buffy/Angel spin-off/relationship? Sound off on all the ones that you noticed!!
I'll get it started by saying that the spin-off started as the characters made the transition from high school to college, but that's an easy one and there are so many better ones for you all to continue with.
Flag
Well, Angel was basically a darker, more adult version of Buffy, so if that's the case here, that's definitely a similarity.
Flag
Why stop there? Buffy (TVD/Elena) was about a human girl and her interactions in the small town of Sunnydale (Mystic Falls) with vampires, while Angel was a spin-off centered on one of the darkest vampires of all time (Klaus) who moved to the big city of LA (New Orleans), not to mention the follow-up of the impossible vampire baby who was spawned of Darla (Hayley) by said vampire main character.
Flag
Thought I was the only one! There's the impossible vampire baby, and the possibility of Caroline guest starring which is a lot like Buffy's appearances in Angel. And there's the throwing of the coffin with Stephan inside it into the like in the season 4 finale, which is a lot like one of the episodes of Buffy.
Flag
YES! That is the very first thing I thought of when Stefan went in the water. I was like umm.. they did this on Angel. WTF... NOT AN ORIGINAL STORY!! While I appreciated the doppelganger storyline..I did not like that is how he disposed of Stefan. It's been done. Wonderfully...many years ago!
Flag
Definitely happy that we'll be getting Elijah every week but the thing I'm most looking forward to is Phoebe and Claire's first scene together on TO so that I'll squeal at the H2O reunion. Throw in Cariba Heine and I just might start jumping up and down in excitement!
Flag
I wish Cariba Heine would guest star!!! They've already got Luke Mitchell over on The Tomorrow People, although he was S3 wasn't he? THe CW is like a H2O reunion already!
Flag
Same here! Is Cariba in the US? 'Cause if she is, the producers should definitely get her. Speaking of Luke Mitchell, one of the reasons why I'm gonna watch The Tomorrow People is to feel nostalgic of his days on Home & Away and H2O.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Caught on Camera With Nick Cannon High Jinx
    NEW
    NBC
  •  
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm