TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

A The Originals Community
Monday 8:00 PM on The CW

Before I tell you what to expect from The Originals this fall, I have a story I'd like to tell, so gather 'round, kids. Here goes: Comic-Con is mostly one big blur in my memory. It was fun, exhausting, exciting, and busy, but my favorite moment came when I was in the press room for The Originals and Charles Michael Davis (Marcel) proceeded to get choked up about his own experience at Comic-Con.

"I had a moment last night where I was like, 'Oh my God, this is so special,'" he said. "Everyone's here, they come out here with their family and their friends and they camp out at night... it gets me kind of emotional." If Davis hadn't already won me over as Marcel in the show's backdoor pilot, that moment right there would have done it. It's nice to see actors who, while taking time out of their busy schedules to show up at Comic-Con and answer the same five questions over and over, actually appreciate the experience.

Okay, now that I've filled your hearts with all kinds of warm and fuzzy feelings, please squash them immediately. Because feelings are terrible and if Klaus were here, you know he'd tell us that feelings make us weak. And also because The Originals executive producer Julie Plec has promised that the TVD spin-off will be "darker, more Gothic, [and] more operatic" than its parent show, and that it will be "visceral in its violence."  So get ready, as we're about to talk blood and murder and weird werewolf/vampire/hybrid babies. 

You've (probably) already seen the pilot, at least in its early form—it aired as part of The Vampire Diaries' fourth season this past spring—but when you tune in this fall (The Originals premieres October 15 at 8pm on The CW), you'll notice that a few things are missing. Namely, the scenes featuring Damon, Stefan, and Elena. That means the writers have another 10 to 15 minutes to play with. "They're going to put in pieces that will tell a hell of a lot more of the story," said Daniel Gillies, who plays everyone's favorite Original, Elijah. So what will those pieces be? "They will tell a lot more about Phoebe [Tonkins]'s character and the pregnancy, and Elijah's interaction with that." Which is good, because that storyline is hella confusing. Gillies also mentioned that we'll see the series' second episode through Elijah's eyes, because the people behind The Originals are clearly very smart people who really know their audience.

But you know who might not understand the show's audience? Series star Joseph Morgan, who said he was worried that no one would show up for the show's panel at Comic-Con (someone clearly isn't spending enough time on Tumblr). "We just did the panel in the ballroom and it was full of people," he said, excitedly. "It was such a relief, because I was wondering 'Is anyone going to show up?' You know, like you throw a party and no one comes kind of thing?" Of course, it's worth noting that Morgan last attended Comic-Con in 2011, after only appearing in a few episodes of The Vampire Diaries. "No one really knew who I was, so it's a bit of a different experience this time."

As for the big bombshell that Klaus is going to be a daddy, Morgan said he didn't see it coming. "For some reason I didn't put it together that it was Klaus's baby. I knew it was Hayley who was having this baby, and it was just after we'd filmed the episode where we, you know, get it on, and still I didn't put it together." It's all right, JM, we didn't see it coming, either.

And Morgan isn't really sure how that storyline will play out. "I don't know what's going to happen. I don't know if the baby's going to survive or if Klaus is going to want the baby in the end. I know he wants it right now; he likes the idea of an heir, but not because he has any illusions about family, just because he believes it will bring him power." Sigh, it's always about power with you, Klaus.

"The most exciting thing for me about that storyline is the idea of this bloodthirsty, murdering, sociopath with a tiny, little, vulnerable newborn baby," Morgan continued. "And if he starts to care about that baby and then that relationship is threatened... woe betide the person who comes between them." Yes, Morgan is the type of person who uses phrases like "woe betide" without even blinking. Swoon.

However, if you're one of many folks who's still upset about the Hayley's-pregnant-with-Klaus's-baby thing, Phoebe Tonkin assured us that there's more to Hayley's story than just the pregnancy. We're going to start exploring Hayley's character and where she came from. And on that note, Plec pointed out that Tyler Lockwood and Caroline Forbes were two characters who no one really gave a crap about in the first season of TVD (I might be paraphrasing a bit), and look at them now. "It wasn't until we were able to explore them supernaturally that we really got to know them as people," Plec said. So there you have it. Back off, Hayley haters. Hayley's probably about to become really awesome. Maybe. Hopefully.

And to everyone who's still worried about Hayley coming between Klaus and Caroline, Tonkin is firmly on Team Caroline. "Klaus and Hayley always had a chemistry, but it wasn't romantic," she assured us. Unfortunately, Morgan was whisked away from our table before he could answer any questions about the Klaroline ship (because really, what else is there to talk about?), but Plec did say that hope is not lost.

"When we continued to play [Klaus and Caroline's] story in Season 4 and draw them closer... we really believed that was the path for those two characters to go down," she said. "Knowing a spin-off might happen, we didn't want to make a bunch of false promises that we couldn't deliver on. But we also didn't want to say, 'None of what you just saw matters.'" As they move forward with The Originals, "our challenge will be, how can we keep her in that world as a notion and an idea and then hopefully, eventually, as a person, in Candice Accola doing a spot?" Well, it won't be easy. "That comes down to scheduling, logistics, etc.," Plec explained. But she's keeping her fingers crossed, and so am I.

So what do you guys think? Will you watch The Originals? Are you excited that Daniel Gillies and his hair will be on your TV every. single. week? Are you still upset about the baby thing?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 1/26/2015

Season 2 : Episode 11

Next Episode

AIRS ON 2/2/2015

Season 2 : Episode 12

60 Comments
Follow this Show
Members