A The Originals Community
Friday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning 2018)
Ripe with female power, The Casket Girls is an episode that moved like a game of chess between the men and the women, with both sides losing some of their pawns. We're introduced to this episode with a past event of Rebecca saving three young women in a carriage from the wickedness of men that they came across during their travels on the road. The empty caskets left by the escapees abandoned carriage were then known as the casket girls.

Fast forward to present day there's a glowing Rebecca relishing the annual celebration of the Casket Girls, the only thing preventing her from reaching cloud nine is the presence of Marcel. As per their regular routine, she and Marcel are on the outs... again. No surprise there, Rebecca knows how to hold a grudge, and who can blame her, it's not everyday a blast from the past who's fire has been rekindled chooses the evil brother who, by the way, tried to dethrone him, over the leading lady. Marcel and Rebecca aren't the only pair who's on rocky ground. The sexual tension and frustration at the impossibility of its release between Elijah and Hayley has the two of them in an emotional tug-of-war. It seems that the only relationship between a man and a woman that's working out right now are between the gay vampire Joshua and the deadly witch Davina. I guess the removal of sexual tension must be the key to civility.

Speaking of Davina and her powerful self, she's introduced to this episode hard at work clearing Klaus' compulsion from Camille's mind. While she was working hard on fixing Camille, the witches were working hard on fixing a position on Davina, much to their detriment. Let's just say that if this episode came with a dictionary it would show Davina's face right next to the word's femme fatale. In the sweep of a hand she had five witches down for the count.

Not to be outdone when it comes to ruthlessness Klaus, the old tried and true villain, was up to his old tricks again: lies, misdirection, threatening the innocent, terrorizing the people who oppose him and last but never least, murder. Yet with all of this scheming and bad behaviour Davina still came out the winner. She put that wicked old Klaus and "noble" Elijah in their place flexing her Herculean witch powers at them without breaking a sweat, and the Original heroine of this episode Rebecca finished things off when a makeshift stake just below Marcel's heart. Considering the current state of affairs with their relationship I was surprised that she didn't aim that stake just a little bit higher, it would have saved her a lot of future misery (just saying).

Finally we see a full fledged alliance being formed by Rebecca and Davina and although it wasn't said outright, Camille as well.

The most interesting thing about this episode has got to be the mistake that dear Hayley made. It seems to me that working with the Deveraux witches is never a good idea, yet in Hayley's desperation to free her family from their curse that's exactly what she did. Helping Sophie to unearth one really pissed off, not to mention powerful witch, is probably one of the dumbest moves of this series. It doesn't take a genius to know that raising the dead is a bad idea and I've got a feeling that as badass as Davina was in this episode, we haven't seen anything yet. With all of this female power exuding from this episode it is unfortunate that there is no clear winner in this battle of the sexes ending in something of a draw. I can't wait to see what will come next and more importantly, who's going to come out on top. Considering the upset of the women, Camille's recollected dirt on Klaus, their newly founded alliance and the soon to be revived super witch Celeste, my money's on them.

What do you think?
32 Comments
Comments (32)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Jan 31, 2014
its Rebekah but good effort on the article. it was a great ep as well.
Flag
Jan 22, 2014
Your grammar is atrocious. A good blogger/writer/author of any kind would do well to proof-read her work, several times if necessary. Beautiful article, though, I couldn't have said it better myself. Dying to find out what Celeste's role is going to be in the upcoming episodes.
Flag
Jan 22, 2014
I was half asleep when I wrote this, but you make a valid point. I will work on the proof-reading process and, I thank you for the constructive criticism.
Flag
Feb 21, 2014
Why is Betty Boop black in your photo!? I've never seen that image before.
-And I love Rebekah, but this is hardly the television show you should watch if you are looking for female empowerment. Actually, TVD is better for that, because while Elena usually is a hapless distressed damsel, Katherine usually wins, and triumphs over the male characters. Meanwhile, on the Originals, despite all the female empowerment suggested in this episode, they almost instantly retract all of it in the next couple of installments, driving home again and again what a gullible "little girl" Rebekah is.
Then again, these new girl witches might prove to be winners, but even if they are, they are as evil as Klaus. So what does it matter? Between TVD and the Originals I think the message is usually more like, "the more ruthless you are, the more ass you kick."-that is, if you are looking for a message. But dear god I hope your not. This isn't an after school special (well, except for the episode "After School Special) and NONE of these characters are role model material. These shows are just pure entertainment.

Flag
Jan 22, 2014
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Jan 22, 2014
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Jan 17, 2014
Question is the Witch in the casket, Celeste from the Vampire Diaries or do I have the name wrong?
Flag
Jan 17, 2014
Celeste is the witch that was featured in a flashback in a previous episode. She had a thing with Elijah until Klaus rounded her up with the other witches and had her killed. So yeah, she's going to be pretty pissed when she's revived, which is pretty much coming from what I'm putting together.
Flag
Jan 15, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed Rebekkah going around engineering a coup, in a much better way than Marcel's attempt earlier this season. I do hope that Hayley reports into Rebekkah soon just so that everyone is prepared (Celeste would mainly be after Klaus and Marcel, right? I mean, she had to know that Elijah had nothing to do with her murder and couldn't have actually prevented it...I suspect she might have a Que...Tess, opinion on things if we are going to acknowledge the Other Side, which I would be fine if we didn't, and might decide to take Davina under her wing).

I think what will be most interesting is when Cami does have a chance to really sit down and sort through everything, she will be mad at Klaus for using her to spy on Marcel, but....weirdly, she likely knows the real Klaus the best that even Elijah and Rebekkah don't really know, he figured out what really happened to her brother and avenged him for her, I don't know at some point she might feel she can turn to him.
Flag
Jan 15, 2014
This episode was very Girl Power. More of it, please!
Flag
Jan 15, 2014
This! "I guess the removal of sexual tension must be the key to civility." LOL. Girl-power not withstanding, Hayley does seem to have penchant for making the not-so-smart decisions. Klaus is just a touch too psychotic to gain much ground(and keep it) in the sympathy department.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members