A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

The Originals S01E13: "Crescent City"

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what we in the business call A HOT STREAK. (What is a hot streak?) Three absolutely fantastic episodes in a row, all of them with huge stakes and risky storytelling and the undeniable feeling that we're in the hands of experts. Prior to this particular run The Originals was solid-enough, but now it's basically must-see. Last week Papa Tunde thrilled and chilled me to my very bones mostly because he finally seemed like the colorful, formidable villain that this show needed to get everyone mobilized. While Sabine/Celeste wasn't quite as immediately compelling on the surface, in "Crescent City" she proved that she's a straight-up genius mastermind. Not only were her plans properly ambitious in this episode, it turned out that she'd been laying the groundwork for a witch takeover for a while now. Like, remember when she claimed that Hayley's baby was the anti-christ? Turns out she just made that up so that Elijah would murder a more powerful witch and increase Celeste's power! (Probably just a retcon for a go-nowhere subplot, but still!) Celeste is stone-cold. And now she's got two of the Mikaelsons in custody, she arranged for the murder of my least favorite character on the show, AND she manipulated a gaggle of naked hunks into doing her bidding. Whatever reservations I once had about Celeste are now way, way gone. Celeste is the best. Because she is truly the worst. (And I still love Bastiana so much. Literally welcome back, girl.)

I guess we'll talk about Klaus first because I can't shake the mental image of that self-burrowing dagger disappearing into his chest. What a straight-up nightmare that was! Anyway, the revived witch Bastiana attended Father Kieran's first services at his reopened church (which has an exterior now!) and immediately put a hex on him. It was the same kind of hex that made Cami's brother go on a murder-rampage all those years ago, so obviously he was not thrilled about it. But the it turned out this was a form of witch blackmail: If Cami agreed to bury that ivory witch dagger into Klaus' chest, the witches would undo the hex. So then the question was whether Cami would actually go through with it or not, and in a moment I basically cheered at, she simply immediately turned the dagger over the Klaus and told him everything. "If there's doing to be a war, I want to be on the winning side." Because YES. The Originals will win every war, just as they always had for the last thousand years. Say what you will about Cami's role in this world, but she ain't a dummy. Plus I just love an uneasy friendship born of necessity, you know? Two smart characters teaming up usually leads to good things. Well, except in this case.

After Klaus attempted to help Cami's uncle by bleeding him out (into the holy water!), the compulsion couldn't override his hex, so Klaus resorted to Plan B by kidnapping Sophie's niece Monique (who had hilariously burst out of a tomb in front of a bunch of tourists on a cemetery tour) and attempted to blackmail the witches right back. But after Klaus tussled with Marcel (who was not thrilled about children being used as bargaining chips), Sophie plunged the dagger into Klaus and it disappeared into his chest leaving him a screaming, paralyzed mess. As Papa Tunde told us last week, that dagger would do things to an Original worse than death. And sure enough, that's what it looks like. Poor Klaus!

Meanwhile "Crescent City" also gave us the first real full-moon of the series (right?), which was only useful to Hayley in that it meant she could finally mingle with her reverse-werewolf relatives when they returned to human form for a few hours. So like any former resident of Mystic Falls she knew what she had to do: Throw a house party! It was already a fun scenario when Rebekah offered to help set up (including boiling crawfish), but then the naked hunks began emerging from the woods. This show has gotten a lot right, or at least changed things to become better, but its biggest undeniable shortcoming has been the lack of beefcake. Not anymore! First a naked hunk walked into the kitchen and seduced Rebekah on the spot (she has a thing for beefy blonds apparently), and later another hunk revealed himself to Hayley as the wolf who'd been protecting her in the woods all this time. Oh, and get this: He and she were supposed to get married in an arranged marriage before his werewolf curse was reversed. So yeah. I'm guessing he's going to be a new character and he'll be complicated things in Hayley's life? Unfortunately for Rebekah, her hunk ended up being in league with the witches and she suddenly found herself attacked by werewolves out in the woods. I'm not sure I believed that Rebekah couldn't fend for herself against a couple of angry dogs, but fine. Rebekah has been captured!

Beween Klaus' takedown, Rebekah's abduction, and also Hayley's plantation house burning down, Elijah had to make a tough call. Celeste had incapacitated him with poisoned lipstick, Poison Ivy-style, leaving him with only enough strength to save Klaus, Rebekah, OR Hayley. Obviously he chose Hayley because his siblings are indestructible, but he felt plenty guilty when he couldn't save the other two as well. He arrived back at Marcel's patio nightclub and threw some chairs and vampires and raged about how the vampires needed to get their acts together. Angry Elijah is a good look on him, I have to say. I'm getting the sense that fans love to see Elijah simply stalk the shadows in dapper suits while saying pithy observations but I think it can often verge on boring. I love seeing Elijah get his hands dirty and it looks like he's really going to have to now.

Which brings us to the final, shocking moment of the episode. We were meant to believe that Papa Tunde's death caused one of the original harvested witch girls to be resurrected (thus foreshadowing that Davina will return only when the remaining evil witches are taken down). But it turns out Monique did not return an innocent. In the afterlife (or whatever), she became militant about her pro-witch ancestry, so when Sophie tried to take her out of town to avoid the conflict, Monique HEXED HER TO DEATH. That's right, not only did Sophie ostensibly die, she died in the most gruesome possible way, blood streaming from every orifice, pooling on the asphalt, and flowing into the gutter. Guys, I don't need to tell you how annoying I've always found Sophie. VERY annoying basically. Her plans were always terrible, her motivations always baffling. So yeah, I MAY have clapped when Sophie keeled over. I'm not saying she's dead forever (witch deaths, especially on this show, have become sort of meaningless and temporary), but if she is, it's the final and most powerful example of just how well this show has figured out what wasn't working initially and has changed things for the better. Few shows are born perfect, but the truly great ones fix their own mistakes early on. Consider this mistake fixed! (For now?)

I honestly had no problems whatsoever with "Crescent City." Oh, maybe this one: TWO WEEKS of reruns now? The Originals has just hexed us all!

QUESTIONS

... Is Sophie gone for good?

... What do you think Rebekah and Marcel did to Genevieve back in the day?

... Have you ever been stabbed in the heart with a self-burrowing knife?

... Who was your favorite nude hunk, the blonde or the brunette?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

297 Comments
Comments (297)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Anyone else think Genevieve looked way more adorable with her 20's hair?
Flag
If Rebekah wasn't captured by some wolves, that would be a great episode. If she wasn't so dumb to understand that the cutting bodybuilder imposing a werewolf was a bait, it would be a fantastic episode. And if Sophie wasn't to appear out of thin air to stab Klaus it would be a superb episode.

PS. I found co-founder for the Bastianna Natale fan group. Officially my fav character this year. Price Peterson, let's love the witch before she goes "torsion fou, mort de l'esprit" on us. Hexing leaves a nasty tattoo, bleh! ^_^
Flag
No way! Father Kieran is the best (minor) character, I hated Agnes because she hexed Shaun-and now I hate Bastianna for hexing Kieran!
Flag
This episode was amazing! And I love scary Elijah. Also all of the other Elijahs.
Flag
Can't wat! I'm gonna love watching some episodes with pissed Elijah in the center of it!
Flag
Great episode but isn't Celeste annoying with the "choose one" crap. As Price mentioned, obviously he picked the vulnerable human (and the unborn relative) first, not to mention he didn't actually know where his siblings were at that time. That's not exactly turning your back on your family you know. Like I might be slightly pissed if my brother chose to save me before my 6yo daughter for example. The witches are so disgustingly smug anyway that I will enjoy seeing them go down one by one.

I love the gentleman Elijah but I think it's very needed to see his smooth exterior crack a bit too. He used to be really badass in the early TVD, I don't mind having that back at all.

And with show having Elijah and Klaus as their main characters certainly does not lack any eye candy. Perhaps they aren't beefcakes but I don't really miss that. But the blode hunk was better, I could sense the sparkles between him and Rebekah. The other one was handsome but basically just a whiny obstacle between Elijah and Hayley.

Sophie's death was brutal. Some people protect their relatives here and others don't. Sheesh. I didn't exactly love her either but I still felt bad.

More+
Flag
I'm kind of speechless!! i mean never in a million years would I have thought that some witches can have the three originals in danger at the same time.This actually makes the show more interesting to watch cos they removed the whole originals are untouchable part.But still seeing klaus,elijah and rebekah in danger actually made me cringe.
Flag
Price, you are more googled than "Price per ounce of gold" which basically makes you Beyonce.
Flag
Sophie is gone, Daniella Pineda has been cast on a NBC pilot. i really LOVED this episode, one of my favorites. The backstabbing blond hunk wins over Hey-Im-Here-to-cause-problems-to-the-haylijah-ship werewolf anytime.
I think i know what Marcel and Rebekah did to Genevieve: in the promo, Rebekah seems to be in some sort of abandoned asylum, so i think Marcel and Rebekah put her in an insane asylum to get rid of her.
Flag
I thought Genevieve looked a lot cuter in her flashback scenes than she does now. And who comes back from being dead for a hundred years, gets to be in a bar again and have a drink, and orders TEA!? Man, at least get coffee girl! Alaric new how to do it right when he came back to life, went straight to the secret booze locker!
Flag
What? Tea is very good, some people don't even drink coffee. I doubt alcoholic drinks would be my first priority either after being dead for a hundred years and then getting a chance for revenge.
Flag
I'm pretty sure nearly everybody's first priority on both this show and TVD is alcohol. Case in point, when Kol came back from the dead and had a limited window to exact his revenge before the veil went back up for the Other side, he STILL took a minute to do a shot!
Flag
Let's face it, Sophie is dead. Even if she survived the witch attack she won't survive the wrath of Klaus after what she did to him. Karma love, who has ever hurt Klaus and got away with it? And yes I am incredibly biased and will stick up for him whether he deserves it or not. Can't wait for him to rip bastiana's heart out.

Trying to create this dramatic 'who will he choose?' Scene was rather silly because Hayley is so much more vulnerable. It didn't really tell us anything other than Elijah knows risk assessment!

Rebecca's could have run. End of.

It is good to have actual threats though the show needs it.

If this show tries to kill Kieran I will be so mad but I like the idea of him going a bit mental for a while. I loved when Cami handed over the blade despite her dislike for Klaus, he doesn't see evidence of people unwilling to turn on him very often. It also made her very likeable.
Flag
Who has ever hurt Klaus and got away with it? Damon, Stefan, Bonnie, Tyler, Jeremy..etc. For some reason he is just very forgiving of Mystic Falls residents.
In the case of the Salvatore brothers, I'd like to think it's because Klaus actually likes them, whether he'd admit it or not.

But Sophie is dead. The actress has already been cast on another TV show.

And I could deal with them killing anybody on the show except the big four Klaus, Elijah, Rebeka and Marcel -or Father Kieran, who has strangely become a break out character for me.
Actually I'd also be mad if they killed Josh.
Flag
Eh, Tyler didn't actually get away with it. He lived to tell the tale, and that was only because Klaus decided he wanted Caroline more than he wanted Tyler dead. Plus, sometimes there are worse things then death, and Klaus knew that was true for Tyler. I'm fine with that.
Flag
Personally, I think that was a weak excuse to keep Tyler alive. If Tyler really wanted to die that bad he could just kill himself. Plus being dead in this reality means that you go to the other side, so whether Tyler was dead or alive, he would still just be meandering around miserably, not being able to kill Klaus. I think the truth is that Klaus still didn't want to hurt Caroline by killing him. The only fate I can think of worse than death on this show is "the Garden".
Flag
True, but suicide is considered the coward's way out, and Tyler doesn't want to say he just gave up, he wants to say he took Klaus with him or died trying. And people don't think about the Other Side like that. I don't think Klaus was even around for those descriptions so he wouldn't know that.
Flag
And is it just me or are the guests this week have some lookalikes in the showbiz industry? Monique looked like Amanda Seyfried and Jackson looked like Milo Ventimiglia with the long hair and beard. Bastiana looked like an older Kristin Chenoweth, and Genevieve...I'm still trying to find out who she looked like. Papa Tundy though looked like Djimon Honsou or the thinner version of the Black priest guy in Lost.

Flag
I thought the nude hunk and the blonde were the same.
Flag
A: I am glad Sophie is gone. She may be only temporarily gone, but she is gone. I knew Monique did not come back all innocent like she was before from the start. Maybe Davina will be different

B: R and M probably tortured and set her up to the Spanish inquisition. (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!)

C: No, but I had a papercut once.

D: I am male, so nude hunks did not interest me.

I am enjoying this show more and more. I was so glad to see Klaus break Marcel's neck. He has needed to be put in his place for a while now. I did not care that Klaus was using Monique, because I knew she was in league with Celeste and company.

Elijah saved Haley because a: she was pregnant, b: he cares for her and c: she is not indestructible like his siblings. I knew that would be his choice. I had a glimmer of a hope that he would bust in when they were chanting in the graveyard though.

Rebekah did take out a couple of wolves, but sheer numbers overwhelmed her. As we have seen before when Nick bit Eli, werewolf bites do affect Originals, just not kill them.

I keep thinking that they need a Bennett witch on their side, but Bonnie is the anchor now, not to mention she hates vamps especially Klaus with a passion. I still want to see Davina again, but I know / knew that if she does get resurrected she won't be the same. Confirmed after seeing how Monique came back.

Father Kieran is my second least favorite character on the Originals, so his little psychotic break is not that interesting to me. Cami's truce of necessity with Klaus was wise on her part.
More+
Flag
Great ep, full of twists and turns...refreshing, seeing that TVD are actually sucking big time!!! Looking forward for more!!
Flag
wouldn't it be just great to see photo recaps here instead of that lame TVD failure of a show?
Flag
OMG OMG OMG this show is giving me a heart attack this episode was brilliant it never stopped and it all flowed it was great. I love the introduction to these new but old dead now alive witches they are pissed and want blood the capture scenes for all of our favs were just amazing mind blowing and in klaus's case very very very painful oh that knife.
To answer the questions yes I think Sophie's dead, I think Rebekah and marcel must have had a large hand in her death, personally I liked Haley's "husband" he was hot at the same time I was yelling at the tv like a crazy person going "you can't have her she's Elijah's". I kind of hoped that Rebekah's spunky ware man wasn't going to be evil but oh well I think she killed him.
Flag
First things first: until someone clearly says to me Celeste has inside her the power of the fourth harvest girl, I'm still waiting for a fourth resurrection.

... Is Sophie gone for good?

My, my that scene was amazing! Being killed by the niece you were struggling to bring back from the dead, just hilarious! I've actually always liked Sophie - because I love desperate characters like herself, or Tyler - so her death was kind of a poetic end for a character that never found her place in the audience's heart.

... What do you think Rebekah and Marcel did to Genevieve back in the day?

They used her to get Mikael and then doomed her to a gruesome death? I'm glad the show's connecting to the originals' backstory, but my greatest fear is it's probably going to be retconned...

... Have you ever been stabbed in the heart with a self-burrowing knife?

Mmm not recently. I'm glad Klaus is forced to feel some pain!

... Who was your favorite nude hunk, the blonde or the brunette?

They were so hot. I guess the blonde one, once the brunette started talking an alarm started in my mind screaming "LOVE QUADRANGLE! DESTINED LOVE!"
More+
Flag
fourth harvest resurrection has got to be mama Original. You'll notice all three of the witches brought back have had grudges against the Mikaelson's and no witch is more dangerous to the Originals than Esther.
Flag
Yes I hope you're right! But her remains were consacrated by Sophie, so would she have any power?
Flag
I don't think consacration takes the power away. The reason Celeste didn't want to be concecrated was because she was going to hop bodies , so she didn't want to be "at peace" -meanwhile, I think the other three witches, and also Monique, were all buried on Holy Witch ground.
Flag
But wasn't that the point? That consacreting remains allows a witch to steal a dead witch's power?
Flag
This episode was awesome...so much happened!!
Monique returned...that girl has really creepy big eyes and keep watching you....creepy...
Poor Rebekkah, that was really a cute guy, hope she gets her revenge on that bastard, trapping her in the woods.
Klaus locked somewhere with a knife in him.
Cami now working with the vampires.
But the most best thing that happened was that Sophie died...finally someone killed that lousy useless complaining witch...!!!!
Elijah had it really tough this episode...was nice to see him weak for a change....but his revenge is going to be awesome on Celeste!!
Flag
Poor Rebekah, she always gets betrayed by men!
Flag
and still she never learns!
Flag
Oh please. Klaus is not in danger. So he'll be in in tremendous pain for awhile. Good, it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. I'd be more upset if it were Rebekah or Elijah. Speaking of Rebekah, pardon my French, but she is simply too thirsty for the d. I mean even Celeste knew that she wouldn't be able to resist a pretty face. Her character's grown a lot but there is still definitely some work to do there. I think I've grown accustomed to Julie Plec's writing and as a result I'm a bit bored. Good thing there's Teen Wolf on Mondays to keep me on my feet.

Flag
"but she is simply too thirsty for the d."

She is very desperate for some love and in lieu of that sex will do. Lol. Poor thing, she can not catch a break.
Flag
so many character deficits revealed this episode... how predictable is Rebekah that a witch knows to use man bait to lure her? and elijah, you idiot, why'd you suck face with celeste, knowing how pissed and vengeful she obviously is? i'm happy klaus got that dagger through his heart, he needs to be out of the picture for a while because his smug power-plays get annoying. i for one am happy to see the witches are evil fucks just like their vampire counterparts. a lot of people used to complain about how useless they were but now that they're taking names everyone's jumping on the "those witches are terrible, oh my god, so much worst than the vampires," yeah okay. like a group of oppressed people/supernaturals don't have a lot of rage in them, c'mon. it may all be short-lived now that elijah's tuned up but vampires act like they're untouchable, as per the way the writers handle them, and i'd really like to see the roles reversed for a few episodes. give 'em hell witches.
Flag
Totally agree!!! Go witches! Personally I'm loving Bastiana, so so creepy!
Flag
Is anyone else actually kind of worried about Davina? Like how is she doing considering that Monique told Sophie the ancestors were angry at Sophie for interrupting the Harvest...how are they treating Davina who might have come around at the end there, but...and then Monique seems very militant so I have to wonder. From what I recall she was Davina's best friend. Like that only Celeste's death will be able to bring her back because the ancestors will hold Davina back as long as possible and Celeste strikes me as pretty hard to kill.
Flag
I am. I hope now that it's obvious that something is up with Monique Marcel will be less "We must bring back Davina" and more into trying to figure out what happened to Monique so that if they can also bring back Davina she won't come back different like Monique did.
Flag
I was jumping for joy for you Price as soon as Sophie Starting choking, Best decision, it was time for someone to die and sophie was the perfect choice, by her own niece shes been trying to save OH SNAP!
Flag
Much better than last week's episode but there are still some improvements to do! I liked the fact that the almighty Klaus might be in danger but I hated the fact that for the zillionth time Rebekah got screwed but a guy she likes! Come on!! Can't she catch a break??!! Also the fact that Elijah saved Hayley first might as well backfire hard to him even though it was stupid that he saved Hayley supposed-to-be-husband! I mean come on! The guy is a werewolf and can't even figure out the way to use the same crushed window the original used?! Seriously??! This whole war idea is brilliant and I'm happy Sophie's gone, she really was annoying! Can't wait to see the rest!
Flag
Elijah's so honorable :P
Flag
Yeah but not to his flesh and blood apparently :S
Flag
i wish and think that Sophie is gone for good. Weird thing is, even tho i really dun like her character, it sucks that she had to die this way. After all, she did care a lot for her niece.

I dunno and dun care what Marcel and Rebekah did back in those days.

Never been stabbed in the heart by a self burrowing knife. Will post a video for you if it happened.

I prefer the blond nude hunk! He did kinda remind me of that guy in True Blood who was asked to shag Jessica while Jason Stackhouse was watching. and Poor Rebekah.

Cant wait for next ep. Badass Elijah makes good tv.
Flag
1) Rebekah has a thing for blondes? Really? Other than Matt whose on that list? Certainly not Stefan or Damon or Marcel or that hunter guy (Alexander was his name?)

2 out of 6 is not a thing...

2) I don't think Monique was brought back like that from the dead, I'm pretty sure she was like that since the beginning. She's part of an insane cult and was easily willing to kill herself for it.
It's not unlikely to assume that is her real self.

3) Rebekah kidnapping was incredibly stupid. Werewolves are so pitifully weak. The vampire clan was about to kill all the wolves without breaking a sweat and she was about to wipe the vamps out.

Sorry that's just dumb

4) Papa gave himself up for this?!?
Seriously? He almost took out all 3 originals single handed. Why on earth didn't he just finish the job and be done with it.

He could have just lured one of them easily to a trap and do it again.
STUPID

5) Which leaves us with the obvious, they said 4 witches returned. We only saw 3, so it's safe to assume there is a mysterious 4th returning gal and due to the fact they are keeping it a secret it's going to be Esther.
/sigh

More+
Flag
What do you mean by Papa Tunde "finishing the job"? It's not like he could have killed them..
Flag
Umm.... Yes he could. Just do to all 3 what he did to Rebekah.
And this time not be a complete moron and put the bodies some place safe. Like under a huge safe at the bottom of a river covered with loads of protection spells.

Even if that just gives him inifinite power and it's not enough for him and they fear that maybe someone someday will set them free - that still gives them plenty of time to find out how to kill an original with magic.

It's not unheard of.
Flag
I don't think Rebekah's kidnapping was stupid. The werewolves didn't kidnap her, they just weakened her so the witches could take on. We already saw what one werewolf bite did to Elijah so it's obvious that a dozens of them would put Rebekah down for a bit!
Flag
I know that's what happened. It's still stupid. Vampires move faster than the human eye can see. She could just run away from there. Rebekah is even faster as an original...

Wolves don't really have that type of speed here.
Flag
Well, Mason Lockwood & Jules has super-speed in wolf form as I recall in TVD Season 2. Jules bit Rose and Mason would have bit Caroline had Stefan not intervened.
Flag
Rebekah is not only a thoushand years older - she's an original, she is even faster.

It's the show messing up with its power levels again to a point where it suits them whenever they want.
It's silly

All they had to do is say that the witch gave the wolves a boost or weakened Rebekah somehow and it will be fine.
But they didn't even bother.
Flag
Almost forgot
6) Really? Haley has *another* love triangle now?
This show needs to stop doing those pronto.
Flag
Yeah that gave me chills!
Flag
The Originals could've easily gone through this season with their own triangle, an incompetent witch or two and some hunky Vamps with bad attitudes and still had and audience. You just have to look at TVD to know that - they've done it for 5 seasons!
However, this show has up-up upped the ante so much that I truly have no idea if there even is a triangle (f*** triangles!) let alone what on earth will happen next! THAT IS A VERY GOOD SIGN!

- Finally! It feels like the three Originals might actually be in danger!
- Competent witches who mean business!
- Marcel is becoming a good guy who is interesting to watch!
- Bye, bye (for now?) Sophie! You were a terrible character!
- Hailey is getting a sub-plot! (And working on her American accent.)
- Elijah back in a suit (those casual trendy jeans in that Tyler episode were the worst and I think the show knows it!) & making pithy observations is FINE by me but an angry Elijah who has a goal grounded in relatable emotions is even better!
- Yes! Yes! Yes! FINALLY Klaus - KLAUS! - got incapacitated and it was terrifying and great! (This has to make him a better character in the long run. Right?)

I really did not expect this show to be good so maybe the fact that I had very low expectations has something to do with how thrilled I am - especially about the fact that it proved me wrong! Still!
Well done The Originals. Its time to crawl up from under your older, weaker siblings shadow and do your own thing!
More+
Flag
I think Sophie is gone for good (thank God!) Klaus deserves to suffer for while, but I don't like watching Rebbekah suffereing.

I thought Elijah was more clever. He shouldn't had saved Hayley, he should had gone back to the cementery and ended Celest.
Flag
I think Elijah doesn't know what spells end with Celeste's death and what don't!
Flag
I'm not sure what good that would have done. He knows she is up to something but he doesn't know specifically which witch cast which spell.

What if Bastiana was after Haley? He has no idea. He could be wasting time or it could be a double bluff.

Though if Haley and Rebekah were so close and he can travel faster than the human eye can see, how did the other witch (forgot the name) got to Rebekah before him?
Flag
Brunette hunk was deffo the best!
Flag
How disturbing was that neck-snap? I mean it took forever...it had me cringing, and yet unable to look away.
Flag
I am a huge Klaus fan and obviously don't want him to die. However, I think it will be good for him to suffer a bit. I am hoping that he will come out of it with more emotions and that he will be more caring. But I have a feeling that he's just going to be even more pissed than before.

I do hope that Sophie is gone from the show, because she was really starting to annoy me. Now that her niece is back (I've forgotten her name), will we get Davina back at some stage?
Flag
I think we will get Davina back but she will be gone darkside! Evil Davina *___*
Flag
Could be good, but I do actually like nice Davina. I hope she comes back and remains on the vampires' side and helps fight the other witches. But I guess she wouldn't be as strong though seeing as her power was released to the other witches.
Flag
I think it depends on how much Klaus wants redemption... he would be only one not caring at this point, he can't really afford it!
Flag
Yes I love Davina too, it just seems a realistic plot for a couple episodes.. how torn would the vampires be having Davina as an enemy?
Flag
Very torn! Especially Marcel! Klaus wouldn't care at all, haha. Or would he? Maybe he would care because Marcel cares.
Flag
I guess we can safely say that witches are just generally terrible. I mean, dude. Brainwashing youngsters, hexing youngsters, try to burn up a pregnant lady (and her hunk friend), KIDNAPPING REBEKAH... need I say more?
PS: Angry Elijah is the best Elijah. I can't wait for him to rip out some evil witch hearts and casually toss them away.
Flag
One down, one more to go. When will cami's number be up? She is stupid, irritating and she ......... flounces. Literally.

The witches are so awesome *does a mini dance*. TVD totally ruined the witches for me. It turned them into this pathetic non entities who did not have one decent spell up their sleeve. But here, THEY KICK ASS! WooHoo! And celeste is cold. I thought she would have a soft spot for Elijah but no, she is equally pissed off at him

I love rebekah. but what are they doing to her? Does she need to fall for every random guys and then proceed to get a dagger in the back? I understand her yearning for true love but can they stop making her so pathetic.

Now its up to elijjah to save everyone. btw, was this not a klaus spinoff? bec elijah seems to be taking over everything. He makes everyone go awwww! with his charm AND he can be a total badass when someone threatens his loved ones. Klaus on the other hand comes off as having temper tantrums every second episode. Except that one epi of klaus vs 100 vampires, its pretty much all about elijah
More+
Flag
No, I read that this was always supposed to be Elijah's point of view. They even redid the backdoor pilot that was in TVD to make it more from Elijah's point of view. Just as well too because Klaus can't carry a show like Elijah can. He's way more badass than Klaus ever is when he puts his mind to it!
Flag
Elijah's much more compelling than Klaus and yes, Klaus doesn't even looks like the main character anymore. That's fine by me, this show is taking him back to when he started in TVD and I can't stand him :D

Also yes they should stop letting Rebekah be deceived by random hunks, because then everytime she comes up with some schemeing I find her less and less believable!
Flag
Even though I enjoy the show and the latest couple of episodes, it still lacks balance in my opinion.

We have been waiting for a big bad who's at least able to stand up to the Originals, but now they went overboard taking the three of them out in one episode. and let's be honest the didn't stand a chance. Klaus, Rebekah and Elijah are immortal and that's the only reason they are still alive, but let's be honest they didn't stand a chance. Elijah figured out what was happening and still got played. Klaus taunting the witches like the dumbest person in history, got into a little scuffle with Marcel (yes again) and let himself get stabbed by Sophie, of all people, with papa tunde's superpowered knife he conveniently didn't get rid of (dumb ass, first thing you do is destroy the only knife that can seriously hurt you, or make sure nobody can find it). And Rebekah let herself be played like a naive schoolgirl.

Also with the power display of these witches, who's going to stop them?

This what I meant with lacking balance. For a couple of years now we have seen the Originals as a force to be reckoned with and now in two episodes a couple of witches reduced them to immortal disorganized dumb playground bullies who only pick on kids they know they can throw around.

Is it exciting? Sure, we needed a big bad because this petty rivalry stuff between Klaus and Marcel is really boring. However reducing your main characters from powerful to helpless doesn't work for me.

Raising Hayley's status from 'that pregnant wolf chick' to last heir of a royal wolf clan is both interesting and predictable. Just wondering how long this pregnancy lasts? I have no idea of time on this show, but the pregnancy has been 'medium pregnant belly phase' for a while now.
More+
Flag
I think Klaus eventually wanted to use the dagger on Bastiana!
Flag
The only reason these witches were able to get the better of the Mikaelsons is because they were totally unaware of Celeste being back and plotting against them. Elijah only got played because of his love/guilt thing with Celeste. She won't get a second chance to play him. I'm curious what big bad will be brought on after this though. Maybe the dad resurrected?
Flag
As much as I like NOT seeing plain good guys in a show, but sorry, Someone has to stop those sneaky witches and tell them they are as much evil as their enemies. Like "wait, you lot are bros and sistas in evilness, you should plot together, there are no good guys in town"
Flag
I don't think the witches ever claimed to be GOOD as opposed to Vampires..
Flag
yes and its a good thing to a point. however some of the things they did, and said, someone needs to intervene. They better not let lack of good people become a bigger issue that blocks the storytelling.
Flag
I think the "good" was represented by Davina, Cami, Josh. Hope to see them together soon!
Flag
It's like the entire show is drafted for sneaky misogynists. Men screw things up so women need to take things in hand (resist the joke, I'm bigger than that. Damn it!) and then turn out to be worse than the men who need to save the day again and again and... This is not to say that T.O. hasn't really grown on me and perhaps overtaken TVD often of late - which shares the same tendencies in writing.
Sophie has pissed me off lots and I was kinda pleased to see her die in nasty fashion. But of course she could come back as one of the four now that her ungrateful and mental niece has moved in with the cray cray party. Why oh why couldn't she have killed the annoying barmaid, who thinks she can threaten loveable Klaus week in and out? Rebekah and Marcel obviously stitched up Genevieve and offed her to keep her quiet. I can't see much invention there like, for example, getting the other witches to have turned on her, as she'd have spilled her knowledge to save herself.
Most of us have been stabbed in what feels like a self-burrowing knife at some point. Humans. Relationships. Ruh Roh!
I'm afraid to say the naked dudes were too stereotypically off the rack for my tastes.
A possible sneak peak at future writing appears to be in the rise of the werewolves as an actual force to be reckoned with - that is when the writers tire of biatch witches.
More+
Flag
*spoiler alert*
It's been reported that the actress playing Sophie is already moving on to another show, so I don't think Sophie will be back.
Flag
That's fine with me. She was in a list of minnow characters that annoy me for talking back at the originals as they please without fear for realistic consequence.
Flag
Another good episode. Now that Haley has had a chance to meet her relatives and her betrothed and found out she is werewolf royalty, when is Klaus gonna hang out with his werewolf family? Elijah chose to save Haley over his siblings, but Elijah is good at being focused especially when he gets mad. I thought he outed Celeste fairly easily, I thought it would take a lot longer for Elijah to find out. I must say after everything that Klaus has done, it was about time that somebody got some payback. I wonder what the witches did with Klaus and Rebekah.
Flag
If I didn't already love this show... OMGZ hearing Queens Of The Stone Age in the background was splendid. Sophie's death was sad yet hilariously apparent. I was kinda indifferent to her most of the season so whatever girl byyyeeeee! Her niece gave me creeper face so many times I knew something was up from the begginging.
Flag
If I were Hayley I would be fact-checking this supposed betrothal like hell, she's werewolf royalty, vulnerable and very ignorant about everything to do with New Orleans werewolves so this buck toothed hick could be any random just coming in and claiming to be a prince. Especially one who wants a war with the vampires who are now not only being led by the father of Hayley's baby but also the Original family.
Also Rebekah loses points this episode for going out in the woods to hook up with a guy when there was an entirely empty house full of bedrooms, one of which she used to occupy!
And what night is it that the entire quarter is absolutely empty of foot traffic? There was at least three vampires lying on the sidewalk completely uninterrupted at one point or another.
I don't think anybody doubted which of the three Elijah would save, Rebekah and Klaus are essentially immortal in this show whereas Hayley and baby are vulnerable in a way none of the family is used to, of course their safety is going to take priority
Flag
i know right. for a thousand year old vampire, one would have thought they would prefer a nice bed to roll on.
Flag
or even a couch! It's not like the house was full of people, they were all outside...well except for Hayley who spent a lot of time by herself considering the party was supposed to be a family reunion
Flag
1. Probably not, but I did think it was pretty messed up for Monique to kill Sophie like. To be honest I was pretty neutral about Sophie so her death made me feel a little bad for her, but not too bad.
2. I haven't the slightest idea. All I know is that Klaus and Rebekah are in trouble and they better get out soon or I'm gonna throw my TV in anger.
3. Yeah, it was this one time at band camp... Never went back... Don't really wanna talk about it..
4. Even though I like blondes, I preferred the brunette hunk of the episode
5. Man, witches are so crazy after they come back from the dead, hopefully I don't piss one off
Flag
So ... why didn't Haley turn into a wolf on the full moon???
Isn't it sad that Sabine knew Rebecca would fall for a naked guy? How telling Rebecca.
Wow. Best episode yet.
Kudos to the writers, I never, ever thought I could feel so sorry for Klaus!!
Flag
They actually mentioned something about Haley not turning. I don't remember what it was, but they threw a line about it for sure.

Also I'm pretty sure that Celeste knew Rebekah, if she knew Elijah and Klaus back in the day why not Rebekah?
Flag
I think Rebekah is just predictable that way. Both Klaus & Kol mentioned that she just falls for any man who shows her a hint of affection - so I think it's probably a pattern with her. Even Damon & Sage picked up on it pretty quickly. It's no surprise that Celeste would have as well.

Werewolves don't turn when they're pregnant. I guess the baby hasn't triggered the curse so if mom turned into a wolf it would kill the fetus.
Flag
Weird thought: Is being a werewolf just a really odd metaphor for mensturation???
Flag
Sophie already has a pilot, so ...
Flag
Do you know what show? I heard someone else saying this, too. I didn't like Sophie much, but I liked the actress.
Flag
Odyssey

They mentioned it here in the news section
Flag
I find Cami very ridiculous. Every time she steps to Klaus with the stink eye for compelling her, what makes her think he couldn't just do it again, especially with Davina temporarily out of commission? I assume the only thing that prevents him is that fact that, from a writing perspective, it would be redundant, but character-wise, she has no logical grounds for being so recklessly sassy.

Also, Marcel is a very frustrating hypocrite, and if he too were hexed to seep blood from his eyes until he died, I would not cry. Harsh but true.
Flag
[...] What makes her think he couldn't just do it again [...]?

Wild, factual guess: the fact she's now full of vervain, probably?
Flag
Which he could easily drain from her if he had the mind to, as he proved in this episode with her unfortunate uncle. I suppose he's either too sentimental to bleed her in order to send her away and save her, or he doesn't care that much either way? I don't fault her for being bold; I like that about her. Realistically though, she doesn't have the power to back up her sassmouth.
Flag
The fact she was shcoked of what they were doing to her uncle goes to show you she didn't even consider he could un-vervain her.
Flag
I'm with you there. But, at this point, Cami would make no sense as a character if she didn't stoop up against Klaus somehow. So the writers had to either make her super-pissy toward him or just kill her off. I doubt, though, that she has any delusional about realistically taking him on - anyway, I didn't get that vibe so far.
Flag
I will not miss sophie, im waiting for Davina return.

Flag
When Klaus snapped Marcel neck ,I was: finally he made him shut up! (after 13 episodes)
I liked that the story moved forward.
If Jackson is not blood related to Haley and they are the original werewolf families that means Klaus is related to Jackson?
Flag
Klaus' super-distant relatives aren't cursed like these wolves. They showed up out of the blue because of the baby - but they're human and turn into wolves on a full moon like normal.
Flag
and the story repeats itself, witches against vampires, and werewolves appearing, but it showed some parts of the history that were important to be shown. it's good to understand sophie devreaux story and to see how the witches work together. good ep thought :)
Flag
You also forgot to mention:

Repeated love triangles

People having to chose between family and a lover
Flag
didn't want to say all of them.. but yes there's more things
Flag
These witches have nothing on Papa Tunde Such a waste.

Sophie, no if they bring down these witches others will come back; Sophie will probably be one of them.

After they Marcel/Rebekka used Gennevieve to call Mikael at fang point; they probably killed her.

Flag
Agreed. It seems that Papa Tunde was far more efficient than all 3 of them together.
He took out Rebeka and almost killed Klaus too. They were stupid to have him off himself.
Flag
I really need The Originals to have photo recaps too.
Flag
Well, when AHS: Coven was on, I would have said you're asking a little bit too much of dear lil' Price.

But now?... PHOTO RECAP PLEEEEEEAAAAAASE!
Flag
Yeah that's why I said it now, I know they're a shitload of work, but man are they worth it, and now that Coven's over (sadface) I think it would be awesome to have the photo recaps in this awesome show.
Flag
I suggest a simple solution:
Let's compensate Price by making sure he'll get paid for it.

Anyone up for a kickstarter project for it?
Flag
I loved it, but I did have one quibble: Marcel's refusal to go along with Klaus' Monique threat was just so obviously going to lead exactly where it did. It was a fight that needed to happen and the self-stabbing was pretty creepy, but it was just so dumb - even for marcel.

I may be about to give the writers way too much credit, but I don't think the flashback to Sabine and haley was a course correction. This Celeste plotline has been carefully and subtly laid from the very beginning. We watched her drown A LOT in the early episodes, and Davina was always drawing those pictures. I find it hard to believe they didn't have a very specific intention for the pictures - which means they've always known Celeste was coming back. Plus Sabine has just been drifting in the background, mysteriously not getting killed for being an idiot, the entire time. I buy it, and it's a damn fine bit of subterfuge.

Flag
I agree that this whole thing with Sabine/ Celeste was planned. Even the Anti-Christ thing.
Anyone else noticed that this show has four factions, the humans, the Werewolves, the vampires, and the Witches- Klaus and Haley's baby is exactly one quarter each species and the whole thing takes place in THE QUARTER!! Now I'm not certain if that's coincidence or genius but -whichever one it is, it's either CRAZY coincidence or CRAZY genius!
Flag
By that logic wouldn't Klaus be 1/3 of all three? His mother was a witch, his bio-father was a werewolf and he was turned into a vampire. Yet he's really only a werewolf-vampire hybrid because witches can't also be something else - it's not possible to be both vampire and witch though.
Flag
No I think the baby is going to be all four, because think about it-Vampires don't age, so if the baby is just a normal vampire, it won't ever be any older than a baby! So it would be closer to what in folklore they call a dhampir. Which is what Blade is from Marvel comics. The child of a vampire and a human. So since the baby has to be part human, it follows that the baby can be part witch. Plus it's already been established that the baby is part witch because Elijah used it's witch blood to break the circle Papa Tunde used to bind Rebekah.
Flag
Isn't her half hibrid half werewolf?
witch 25%
werewolf 25%
werewolf50%
Flag
Those are the numbers I camp up with. You can't be born as a vampire but I'm hoping the writers don't try us like that. I have faith in them.
Flag
unless the baby get bitten by vampire?!!!!!!!!!
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode!
While I enjoy Elijah's usual calm stoicism, I also love it when he gets really angry and shows how much something is bothering him. I think these moments are even better because we don't get to see them very often. I always like when the originals show that they love each other really, such as Elijah telling all the vampires that they were going to help him find Klaus and Rebekah and kill everyone responsible for taking them, so I particularly liked that part of the episode.
I was more interested in Monique's revival than I ever thought I would be, which was a pleasant surprise. I really hate Bastiana, but I think that's often a good thing with a villain, definitely better than being indifferent to them.
Sophie was certainly never my favourite character, however, I did think her death was very sad since she had tried to save her niece from the harvest and then spent the better part of a year trying to save her, only to have her back for a day and then be brutally murdered by her.
I very much appreciated all the handsome, muscly werewolves that Hayley happens to be related to.
Out of curiosity, are Hayley's family dead? Because she invited all of those people around but only spoke to Jackson. Were her parents/siblings/cousins not interested in meeting her?
I'm very much looking forward to the next episode!
More+
Flag
Shane told her on TVD that her parents were dead. He gave her a flashdrive with info about where they were buried and in exchange she lead 12 hybrids to their deaths.
Flag
Ah, thanks! I'd forgotten about that. To be honest, I tried to block out most of TVD season 4.
Flag
My review in five words: God, do I hate witches.

Maybe it is just me, but, if I knew for a fact that some bitch hexed me, regardless if I'm a priest or not, I would just shoot her goddamn brain out the minute she turns her back to me. Pretty damn sure a hex is voided as soon as you kill the person who put it on you... and even if it doesn't, I bet it's still very satisfying.

This was a very frustrating episode for me. Even though they both were quite aware to be in the middle of immediate danger, Elijah and Rebekah couldn't control their damn libido, resulting with them being incapacitated. Did you really need to kiss your exe, Elijah, especially since you went out of your way to make clear that you didn't trust Celeste? And Rebekah - oooh, Bekah! - what kind of slouzy are you, to be willing to hook up with the first naked mutt you see? And you're over a thousand years old, lady, so if you start losing your mind over some random dude walking around au naturel, you should definitely get laid more! Oh wait... that's part of the problem, isn't it?

I got zero sympathy for Klaus's predicament, though - he essentially walked himself right in the middle of this trap. And him suffering unfathomable pain is not even close to repay the miserable he spread around during his lifetime (unlike Mr. Peterson, I for one always rejoice in seeing seemingly unstoppable psychopaths getting their just deserved.)

Personally, I do not feel any tension to what could happen in the coming weeks - for all their boasting, the witches aren't acting as if they're truly are working toward doing permanent damages to the Mikaelsons. So Klaus's getting tortured... Bekah got a lot of wolf bites... the plantation house is burned down... so what? Any of them are actually in true danger of getting killed? This is far from being an impossible situation to resolve - there is so many way to fix these problems. But hey, the witches now got a 16 years old recruit... ooooooh scary! It's storyline like the one The Originals is giving to us right now that makes me wish Mikael wasn't killed off so goddamn fast a couple of years ago - like him or not, he would have been a great enemy, because his kids were definitely scared of him. I mean, there's a reason they ran the hell away from him for a thousand year, right?

Sophie dying (please, Julie, keep her dead...) was more a relief than anything else; her getting killed by her own niece, who she tried so hard to safe: so ironically awesome. The whole wolf thing gotta be resolve asap - it's getting obvious that Plec and her crew have no idea how to write about lycanthropes, but this week's nonsense was particularly painful, so straight it up or kill it off already. Finally, I'm seriously hoping Cami buy herself a gun and start putting down witches - WHY DO ANYONE PUT UP WITH THEIR SH*T LIKE THAT!? THEY'RE MORTALS!!! YOU'RE IN AMERICA!!!! GET A GUN AND FINISH THEM OUT!!!!! ENOUGH WITH THAT DOCTOR EVIL NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!

Urgh. Witches. Hate them so much.
More+
Flag
Another great episode.. This show is on fire.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members