A The Originals Community
Friday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning March 17, 2017)

The Originals S01E16: "Farewell to Storyville"

Literally do not tell me who to root for on a TV series. I don't care if you are a superfan just doing your thing or a showrunner whose JOB it is to make me feel certain ways; when it comes to the character I will become most invested in, that is MY decision and my decision only. Personally I always like the funny, strong-willed female character and that's just how it's always been. Rayanne on My So-Called Life; Pam on True Blood; Faith on Buffy; Faye on The Secret Circle; Katherine on The Vampire Diaries; Rebekah on The Originals. (Please note that I am not trying to start a debate about the merits of these characters, I am just BARING MY SOUL to you.) But everybody is different! Maybe you tend to root for the sarcastic, witty males or, I don't know, muscular transgender shark people. But I think we ALL have a specific type we're most likely to become invested in, and from the writers' standpoint there's really no way to tell which member of an ensemble will click with individual viewers except maybe ALL OF THEM in some way to somebody. That's why the best TV shows provide a spectrum of heroes. Because options! But seriously, don't tell me who to root for, that is just too personal.

Rebekah is gone. I will keep watching The Originals, but I'm afraid it just won't be the same without her. If we're being real, The Vampire Diaries has still not fully recovered from the great Mikaelson exodus, and that show has a much richer roster of heroes and supporting cast than The Originals currently does. (Sorry, I am not trying to bum anybody out, I'm just sorting through my feelings right now, and they are RAW.) I have been really enjoying The Originals lately, but quite frankly a lot of that was due to Rebekah. I just truly love her particular brand of plucky immortality, her open-hearted longings, her wounded cruelty, and even more than that I've loved every minute of Claire Holt's wonderful, frequently devastating performance. Yes, I love Klaus and Elijah as characters, who doesn't, they are wildly entertaining. But for the reasons I explained earlier, my heart was always in Rebekah. She is the character I most cared about and it's her story that's kept me most invested in The Originals during its sometimes rocky maiden voyage.

So, uh, I kind of don't know if this is worth mentioning or not, but here goes: I've been aware that this was coming for a while now. I'm by no means an "insider," but living in Los Angeles and surrounding myself with people who work in and around and about the entertainment industry means you hear things about productions all the time. (Oh, the Teen Wolf conversations I've been having lately!) So when that sucker-punch of a BuzzFeed article went live following the East Coast broadcast of this week's episode, my only reaction was "Oh, so this is the episode where that happens." Make no mistake, it was not a sudden or surprising decision for anybody behind the scenes; from what I know, Claire Holt simply did not want to live in Atlanta anymore. If you recall when The Originals was first announced, she was the last series regular to sign on; when she did eventually agree to be a part of the series it was never for a full season. She wasn't the only one who made that deal, though; Daniel Gillies can't film full seasons due to his other, more Canadian commitments, which explains why Elijah chilled in a casket for so many episodes earlier this season. I only bring up this inside-baseball stuff to make sure we honor the distinction between what are some very normal industry logistics and the creative decisions of The Originals' producers. Rebekah's departure is not The Originals' fault. It is not Claire Holt's fault. It is not Julie Plec's fault. It's just that sometimes our favorite shows can only be perfect for a brief while and then we have to adjust to new situations. That's life! And it seems like both George Clooney and ER did okay after he left, right?

But the big reason why I wanted to comment on the behind-the-scenes stuff is that it brings insight to Rebekah's arc this season. In retrospect, her impending absence has been telegraphed since the beginning. Notice that most of her plotlines were reactionary or in service to something going on with Klaus or Elijah. No new characters or plots were spun off from Rebekah's existence in the way they have been for, say, Hayley or Cami. While even Davina's world expanded and developed independently from the leads, Rebekah mostly bounced around between the other characters providing friendship, adversity, romance, and plenty of barbed one-liners. In short, The Originals was never really playing a long game with Rebekah, and that's especially obvious now that we know she'll never really be integral to the story again. But Rebekah's exit also has the added effect of improving things I once thought were weak, in particular her final feud with Klaus over old business. If I had known that THIS was the thing that would finally be sending Rebekah off, I'd have been way more invested. I still think those Mikael revelations were not properly delivered, but again, the result was so severe and upsetting that it rendered my misgivings inconsequential. Where I once found this Mikael-summoning plotline weak and uncompelling, I now find it epic and important. A good ending can save any story, it turns out.

In a general sense "Farewell to Storyville" was a new benchmark not only for The Originals but for all network television of recent memory. Like a particularly devastating stageplay, its premise was simple and its emotions were explosive. Klaus, Rebekah, and Elijah had to spend the greater part of a day trapped in the witches' cemetery arguing about old beef. There was a temptation to find their circular arguments exhausting and repetitive, but aren't all our most vicious arguments that way? It didn't matter how many times Elijah warned Klaus away from Rebekah, nor how persuasive Rebekah could be about the times Klaus had wronged her in the past, it all kept coming back to Klaus's anger and stubborn refusal to back down. This meant we got SO MANY amazing monologues about regret and emotional violence between siblings, all delivered in perfect British accents. A.K.A. GOOD TV. Rebekah's speech to Klaus about how broken they were was one of those rare moments when it was like my TV reached directly into my ribcage and crushed my heart. If we're being honest I never truly believed Klaus would go through with murdering Rebekah, and when he intentionally plunged the White Oak stake clear of her actual heart I breathed a sigh of relief. But I'm not sure he deserves to get away feeling righteous here. After she admitted that she possibly maybe had wanted Mikael to kill Klaus one hundred years prior, Klaus clearly felt he had won the moral high ground (as though the centuries of emotional abuse he'd perpetrated against her had not justified her actions dozens of times over). But it makes sense that that's the only thing that would assuage Klaus's rage, the peace of mind of it all. He'd made his point, and for that he finally showed her mercy.

And then there were those flashbacks. From the cold open glimpse of the Mikaelsons as children, a young Klaus protecting a frightened Rebekah during a thunder storm, I immediately knew this was Rebekah's last episode. You just can't get so devastatingly poetic without the dark cloud of closure looming on the horizon. Still later when we saw a teenage Rebekah defend Klaus from an abusive Mikael and then later come VERY close to murdering her father on Klaus behalf? Just crushingly moving. Especially when it became clear that Klaus never knew the extent to which Rebekah defended him all those years ago, yet when Elijah told him, the look on his face meant he immediately believed it. Again, the Mikaelsons have been dicks to each other for a millennium, but they've also been unsurpassably loyal and gentle in their quietest moments. I never believed Klaus would murder Rebekah, but I do believe he'd banish her if only, secretly, for her own safety and happiness. THAT is the Klaus I know. And THAT is the Klaus I would continue watching The Originals for in Rebekah's absence. Very nicely done.

Aside from the next-level dramatics going on the cemetery, the supporting characters did stuff too! Davina was still recovering from being dead and it turned out her witch ancestors had NOT been very kind to her in the afterlife, having banished her to cold darkness full of whispered smack-talk. Marcel knew that meant she could no longer help non-witches with her powers and instead arranged a deal with Genevieve. Genevieve, for her part, seems to have signed on to become Davina's foster mom and in doing so may become a more integral part of the show than her monster-of-the-week status had previously suggested. We'll see!

But really the weight of this episode for me came down to Rebekah's series of goodbyes at the end of the episode. From her dramatic goodbye kiss to Marcel (who declined to leave with her, obviously) to her touching request of Hayley to speak well of her once Hayley's daughter is born, I was pretty much a mess. Oh, and that was BEFORE Klaus fished out the hand-carved toy he'd once given Rebekah as a child. "Farewell to Storyville" was about pain, actual legit pain, experienced by the characters AND we the viewers. So good. But also so tough. Like I said before, I'm going to keep watching The Originals, but I can't help but feel that Rebekah's taking a lot of my heart with her wherever she goes. I trust that the writers have had enough time to figure out how exactly to fill the Claire Holt-shaped void during these next six episodes and beyond. But the sting is very real and will no doubt be there for a while. I will really miss Rebekah.

QUESTIONS:

... Did you ever imagine that Rebekah would no longer be on the show?

... Will Rebekah's absence hurt your enjoyment of The Originals?

... What kinds of TV characters do YOU usually gravitate toward?

... Do you like Klaus more or less after this episode?

Previously Aired Episode

TONIGHT AT 9PM

Season 4 : Episode 6

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/5/2017

Season 4 : Episode 7

224 Comments
Comments (224)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Great episode overall. I just wanted to say-Klaus had mad carving skills as a kid!
Flag
What Price Peterson fails to mention or state is that this is not that last we will see of Rebekah. In the season finale Holt made a surprise return as Rebekah and we were given a open end story where Klaus gives Rebekah his child "Hope" to take care of and protect. Which would take place off screen for while. Executive Producer Julie Plec stated for the record that, although Holt is no longer a "main" character, viewers will see more of her next season. Further she states Rebekah has got the baby, so it's not like she'll be living in New Orleans and playing nanny in the middle of the French Quarter, but this is not the last we've seen of her. We will definitely be checking in on her every now and again." and that there also could be extended story arcs where she would be involved in many episodes, it could be 4, 5, or even 10 episodes depending on what we come up with and that Clair is fine with that, she just won't be a main character. Clair Holt also made a statement and she said that her leaving is only a “temporary hiatus.” I’m taking a little vacation in the sun but I’m going to return to my New Orleans family. she explained, “This was something that we’d discussed from the start, and I completed my initial commitment. Originally I was only signed on TVD for only 5 episoded but it had grown and so I stated for a while longer but for right now I made a life choice, and not a career choice. I made a choice to go home for a little while and I realized that I hadn’t seen people that I loved and cared about for a long time and it was so tough for me. And it really was a toss-up right to the very end, and even having this little space that I’ve had, I do realize that I am so not ready to let go of the Mikaelsons or my Character. And so there’s many more stories of my character to tell.” and they will be told so you will see me again, also she said there's some business with a certain very handsome quarterback in Mystic Falls…and that to will be played out at some point Possibly next season.

There you have it from Julie Plec and Clair Holt herself, Rebekah may be gone for the most part and as a main character but NOT gone for good. Who know after a season or so of limited appearences Holt may yet choose to return completely.
More+
Flag
thanks for the update - although you maybe should of put a spoiler warning sicne this recap was for an episode well before the finale and some people do go back and read these as they catch up on the season.
Flag
Nice go on. I am desperate about Klaus Hayley relationship. They are best of all couples on the CW. Because their relationship has everything - love, hate, emotion, care, protection etc. I don't want that Elijah to jump in and destroy everything. I don't want no stone in water. Sister in law kinda relation would work. I don't hat Elijah, but hate when he gets to close to her. Elijah is the smartest and intelligent and "head" of the family. I don't care if Klaus wants to be "King" of New Orleans, but he will always bow down to Elijah.

Flag
I've read a few interviews that say Claire Holt could return, although they don't know when. I hope this is true; Rebecca is one of my favourite characters on TV! Fingers crossed she pops up in the second season.
Flag
Clair will be back, as I stated on here, Julie Plec said we will see her in Season 2 at some point and Clair said she's not done with playing the Character. It would not surprise me in the least if she comes back in to the story to help them to get rid of dear old Dad Micheal and Ester once and for all. I just feell she will be back a lot more after Season 2 after Clair has had a nice break.
Flag
Really now? So the "The Originals" is actually just TWO characters now? How could the show runners have started a show wrapped around this family knowing that Claire Holt wasn't really dedicated to it for the long haul. I love Elijah and Klaus...but Rebecca was the heart. Her wounded fragility under her snarky exterior was what I loved most about and female on this show, Hayley annoys the piss out of me and Davina is extremely whiny. I, however, feel like I MAY love Genevieve if given some time. I also begrudgingly admire Camille too at times, her down to earth reaction to all the chaos of this universe is refreshing. Coming from watching TVD where characters seem to either react to the revelation of vamps, werewolves and witches by being constantly freaked out AE. April, Matt (not as much as before) or by falling in love with one of them AE. pretty much every girl on TVD. I feel like Camille reacts like I would, she is a bit scared of it all but she handles herself because she gets that being scared all the time will not help anyone. She also doesn't jump in bed with a vamp "just because" since, lets face it, sleeping with something that EATS your kind does not a successful relationship make.
More+
Flag
I wonder if they will bring Esther into the show (perhaps in the last episode)? They made a big point on this episode of flagging her gravestone and saying that NO was her city ... another resurrected witch? Love interest for the Priest? (now i'm being silly..)
Flag
I want Esther to come back, resurrect Katherine, and make her an original. In Tvd Esther made Alaric an Original who was immune to the white oak stake by binding his life force to a doppelgänger (Elena). What if Esther bound Katherine's life force to herself?? Then she would be truly immortal. And now that the female original has left, katherine would be the perfect replacement... But Nina Dobrev probably wouldn't sign on to both shows.
Flag
I'm a mess. seriously. I love Becks so much. All I could think when she was driving off was "please be headed back to Mystic Falls!"
Flag
I think they're really going to have to step up their female roles after this. Rebecca and Hayley were great in the beginning. But with Hayley sitting in a swamp with some wolves and Rebekah leaving, this story is officially missing a strong female lead. Yes there is Cami, but she is mostly reactionary and cannot take on the others in the same way or participate as well. Maybe it was their familiarity, but Hayley and Rebekah have always felt like they had more depth and importance than the others including Marcelle. But that makes sense, because they are part of the Original family.
Flag
I love Rebekah so, soo much, but the rest of the cast is incredibly good and the stories are getting even better, so everything will be fine. Hope she returns one day, thoug.
http://corleonesandlannisters.com/2014/03/16/the-originals-so-far-a-halfway-review/
Flag
Ok I like Rebekah back in TVD but her story in the Originals was always lacking. I cant say I will miss her because its been like she was a shell of her former self for a long time now. But I will miss the way she was there for the other characters as a support to their story. Im not sure anyone else will fill the role she played quite as effectivly.
Flag
Oh, I didn't know Rebekah was out of the series for good, you just crushed me! I thought she was going to be back after some episodes. I don't like it, not only because I care for Rebekah but because two Mikaelsons aren't enough for me. I was promised a tv show about The Originals, and now they are all dead or away. I don't want to watch a series about vampires against witches, I want to watch a tv series about THIS FAMILY. I hope Claire will accept appearing in some flashbacks, or that the show will talk about Finn and Kol, too.

At least, we still have Klaus and Elijah, but again... that won't be enough brotherly banter for me. This was an awesome episode, though.

Flag
I just realized something. At first, I felt like Elijah's little speech at the end of the episode was out of character for him, but then I remembered, this is EXACTLY what he was like when he first appeared in TVD. When he showed up and gave the speech to Trevor about , "where was your loyalty?" before slapping his head off. So, in a way, this is a return to form for Elijah.

At first, I didn't like Elijah, or Klaus, because I didn't want anyone more badass than Damon to be in the universe, because I loved Damon, but I grew to love the two of them, and the fact that Damon is in no way the strongest Vampire, although, he is, possibly the craziest. The fact that he was willing to take on beings waaay stronger than himself on a whim, knowing he couldn't win, really made him like the ultimate punk rocker of the TVD world. ( fully realized in the episode where we flashback to the 70's and see that he actually WAS a punk rocker!)
Flag
All that emotional family drama was great. This was probably my favourite episode of The Originals.
However, I do not understand what's going on with Marcel. Before Rebekah was trapped in the cemetery, they were going to run away together for good. Then once she is freed and allowed to leave without the threat of Klaus hunting her down, now Marcel doesn't want to leave with her?? They would be able to leave and live a happy life without the fear of Klaus hunting them! This is frustrating to me. I absolutely don't get it, other than they don't want to lose Marcel as a series regular...which is NOT an acceptable reason story wise. Also, Marcel is exiled from his community. I thought Elijah had done that for Rebekah's sake, as kind of a "Hey get out of here and have a happy life with my sister." But no, he's sticking around. Can anyone explain this to me? lol.
Flag
The only thing Marcel loves is power. I think he wanted The Originals run out of town back in 1919 so he could seek power for himself (which he did) and I suspect that he's going to try and do that again.

Back in like episode 6 or 7 Rebekah was planning to leave (and on her way out of NOLA) when Elijah called her and told her Hayley was missing - so she turned around and came back. Prior to that she invited Marcel to leave town with her and he turned her down and made it very clear that he would never leave NOLA. Marcel's desire to be the "King" of the city is really the only thing consistent about his character to me. His relationships with both Klaus & Rebekah are all over the place - one minute he likes them and they're family to him and then the next week he's plotting against them or tyring to have them killed.
Flag
Ah that's actually a really good answer. Thanks for explaining haha.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Wow till I came here I thought Rebecca was leaving for another five minutes till she changed her mind. It's a loss for sure but so many people said why does she stick around so now she's left at least it makes sense for here character.

I can't get enough of damaged, dangerous, sexy, poignant, will they ever find happiness types so Klaus is my perfect character, and I'm on his side whether he deserves it or not.

The moment he wondered whether mikael had been ruined by his father was so beautiful because it showed a level of maturity and understanding you would never expect from angry, hurt klaus.

I think this episode really served to cement that all his darkness comes from his father's treatment and is not because he is simply evil. How messed up the originals are is a direct reflection of how their parents treated each of them.

I love how amazing Elijah has been towards klaus this season. When klaus walked away from marcel in hurt rather than rage then Elijah threatened marcel it really felt like a protective reaction for his brother, so good.
Flag
I'd like to put a question out there to all you Originals fans (BTW, what should we Originals fans call ourselves ? "Originals Gangstas?" "Originals Sinners"? )

My question is: Who here wants Genevieve to become a main cast member and stay on the show? Also, who hear thinks Genevieve is hot? (I ask this because we've now lost two main female cast members,Rebekah and Sophie, and a female semi-regular cast member,Sabine/ Celeste.)
Flag
I am loving Gen, she is adorable and feisty. A good combo in my book
Flag
I wish Genevieve could stay, we're on short of female characters (Rebekah's gone, Celeste and Sophie too...).

Of course I didn't want Rebekah to go (though her departure was beautiful).

I also didn't want them to kill Celeste. If they had given her some background instead of showing her as just a vindictive bitch, her character could be beautifully damaged. If they had shown she had second thoughts because she still loved Elijah but at the same time couldn't let go of the anger and resentment it could've worked...

Well, anyway, let's work with what we have. They could just say Genvieve became the only Elder therefore was granted permission from the spirits to stay alive. The fourth girl would come back anyway (brought back by the new Elder Genevieve ;) ).

Name for Original fans? I don't know, "Original Sinners" sounds nice to me... :)
Flag
There are a couple reasons that I would want Genevieve to stay. One is that I could really see her having a thing with Klaus. For some odd reason they rarely show female characters being openly attracted to Klaus. They always act like they are disgusted by him even when they like him (like Caroline) which is absurd because he's a good looking guy with a cool leather jacket AND a British accent! But Genevieve, like was instantly groping him in Long Way Back From Hell! I think the two could have some chemistry, or at the very least, make Cami jealous.
Also, I felt bad for Genevieve for what happened to her in 1919. Although this new Genevieve seems to have had a bit of a personality transplant and is way more fierce than the cute nurse we saw in the flashback. I guess being infected with the flu and being dead for one hundred years will do that to you.
Flag
i don't think Caroline ever said she is "disgusted" by him...i think she just get mad when he kill people she care's about...Like Tyler Mother's...and etc... Lol
Flag
it will be really weird if Caroline said "Klaus is hot" with Elena or something....Since Klaus tried to kill them all and everything...but hey....right now Caroline is really cool with Klaus...i mean did you see what she said to Tyler in the Last Episode..? lol
Flag
Back at the beginning of Season 4 Bonnie put Klaus in Tyler's body and Klaus (in Tyler) went to rescue Caroline from the Founder's Council (Carol Lockwood had called to say that they took her) and then she mouth-attacked him and Klaus made so comment about having the wrong equipment and called her love so she realized that it was him (he made no real attempt to actually pretend to be Tyler) and said "Oh my god. You're Klaus, you're disgusting". So in that case she did tell him he was disgusting - to his face. I can't recall if she ever said it other than that but it wouldn't surprise me if she has.
Flag
True! but when does she ever talk about how "hot" he is? I mean, Klaus acts that way with her!
Flag
Joseph Morgan said the Originals had really found it's voice in these most recent episodes, but I tend to disagree, because all three episodes have had completely different feels to them.
The first one back after hiatus, "Long Way Back From Hell" was pure horror, which is fine for an episode every now and again, but in my opinion too dark to stick with consistently. This show is dark enough without lapsing into abysmal oppressive terror.
The second episode, Le Grand Guignol, felt like an Originals episode you'd expect from what we've seen so far. A balanced mix of action, horror and pathos with some wry comedy thrown in. This was the most balanced episode of the arc.
The third episode, Goodbye to Storyville, was a Pinter Play. Basically a bunch of characters in an enclosed space arguing. This was almost all pathos with very little action. Again, I liked it, but you can't do that all the time.

-so if he is right, and the Originals has found it's voice, then it's the voice of a person with multiple personalities!
Flag
Agree on that. If TO found its voice, it's a hole choir... Every ep. had an unique, different vibe (I mean the last three eps.) and the only one who had balance and resembled the latest (before the hiatus) was "Le Grand Guignol".

I also agree that "Long Way Back From Hell" and "Goodbye to Storyville" used resources they have to use carefully (they don't want to over use them... it might get out of hand and get repetitive).
Flag
Klaus is the worst. Lets not forget about clear sexual component of his dominance play over his sister. That was especially evident from the early arcs on TVD but never went away and stayed between the lines during all interaction between Klaus and Rebekah. People tend to forget this particular uncomfortable truth.
Flag
1: no. Rebekkah became more likable at the end of her run on TVD and I liked her more on the Originals. Elijah is still my favorite of the siblings.

2: I like the dynamic between the THREE siblings, not just two. Eli and Klaus get boring after a time, they need Rebekkah as mediator or troublemaker. Maybe they can spinoff Rebekkah.

3: Hero or anti-hero, sometimes the villain if the hero is too boring. Fun characters. They must have a purpose that I can identify with.

4: Klaus is an abused bastard. Guess what? 1000 years ago that was the norm (to abuse the bastards, if not kill them outright). I am surprised he's blond and not a ginger. We already knew Klaus was a bastard, literally AND figuratively. We knew Mikael hated and abused and tried to kill him. We chose to give him a temporary pass. He is such a fun villain, although I admit I like him better when he is more the anti-hero. Anyway Klaus's sob story was just a rehash of those points, maybe fleshed out a little and colored to Klaus's rose color. I think he really loves his siblings, but he does not know how to show it. He is old and set in his ways. He will never change.

More+
Flag
but Klaus was abused even before his "father" knew he was a bastard...the relationship between him and his father was bad since the beginning...
Flag
1) Never. I was actually worried when the show started and there were only 3 originals slated to appear in "The Originals." No Rebekkah is going to be weird.
2) no, I don't think so. As long as there's Elijah and Hayley I'm hooked.
3) Any hero type character.
4) The same. We didn't learn anything really new about Klaus.
Flag
I loved this episode. I cried a lot near the end... Of course, that was probably helped along by my two glasses of wine.
Flag
Price, awesome review as always! My answers to your questions are kind of long but "I just have a lot of feelings."

Did you ever imagine that Rebekah would no longer be on the show?
Re-watching the episodes I can definitely see how we were being prepared for Rebekah leaving. Did I have the foresight to imagine she would leave beforehand? No, mostly because I didn't think the show would be bold enough to do that. I am glad it is. It made me fall even more in love with the show. This episode was heart-wrenching. I don't think I have ever been so sad over an episode of tv as long as I was for this one. Today is the first day I can think about that toy knight without tearing up.

Will Rebekah's absence hurt your enjoyment of The Originals?

If anything, it will enhance my enjoyment. One of the complaints about TVD this season is that the story lines are getting old and/or recycled. The Mikaelson's family feud was getting dangerously close to that. The show will definitely be different but Rebekah was a big part of the family so losing her should make it different and that's kind of the point. The Mikaelsons needed "a new story". As a fan of Rebekah, I believe this is the only outcome that truly does her character justice. Does it suck that Claire Holt will no longer grace our screens on a weekly basis? Yes, but I would rather have this outcome than watch Rebekah continue to struggle in New Orleans. She has always wanted freedom from the brokenness and violence of her family, even on TVD, and I am happy she finally got it. I am genuinely surprised how many Rebekah fans want to quit the show considering she finally got her happily ever after. I hope they address this at PaleyFest so people will stop attacking Claire and Julie. Rumors tend to be more malicious when things like this remain unaddressed. Kudos to Claire Holt for signing on to The Originals to play out Rebekah's character arc and kudos for the writers for being bold enough to write this storyline.

What kinds of TV characters do YOU usually gravitate toward?
I like anti-heroes. I find characters who always make the right choices annoying and boring. Real people wrestle with inner demons so I like characters who have the same issue. That is why I love the Mikaelsons. They constantly wrestle with inner demons and each other; they know they're monsters. OUAT's Hook is another favorite.

Do you like Klaus more or less after this episode?
Despite all the bad things Klaus has done, I think I will always love Klaus. He is my favorite Original. This episode gave us insight into the depth of abuse Klaus faced from Mikael. The toy Young Klaus gave Young Rebekah was originally meant for Mikael. Heartbreakingly, Klaus whittled it hoping to earn the love he never received and never should have needed to earn. He saw his father as a brave knight and all he received in return was abuse. I loved how he realized in his last conversation with Rebekah how important it was for him to be a good father. It was an important moment in his redemption arc.
More+
Flag
Wait... when Davina died, did she go to the same dark place that Katherine just went to on TVD? So if Davina can come back from that, maybe Katherine can too!

Flag
I'm pretty sure Katherine is burning in hell, so let's hope Davina wasn't subjected to that for even a second.
Flag
Maybe Rebekah can have a spin-off show of her own now.
Flag
Spin offs of spin offs.
Flag
Did you ever imagine that Rebekah would no longer be on the show? Yup, I saw it coming because it was obvious with her character having less and less to do there had to be a big reason for it. I'm glad she wasn't killed by Klaus though.

Will Rebekah's absence hurt your enjoyment of The Originals?
No; whilst I liked her she wasn't my favourite character of the three siblings.

What kinds of TV characters do YOU usually gravitate toward? The tortured anti hero; in this show's case, Klaus. (in TVD it was always Damon). Always those characters; it's just what I do. I always root for the one that seems the most disliked and mistrusted and yet, for all their anger, they seem to want to be accepted and find someone who cares just for them.

Do you like Klaus more or less after this episode? More; a lot more actually. I think if he'd actually killed Rebecca that might've changed. But he didn't, he took the higher ground, to a certain extent, and then sent her away for her own good. I think he knows he and his brother are not destined for HEA's, and so wants her to at least try for her own without them hindering her.

That's why I liked him in the first place - there is still that faint spark of humanity; he may hate it, but it's there. The choice to make his point, but not to slaughter; that gives me hope that he can still find his own sense of peace one day. I'm not convinced it's possible, but it's the hope that keeps me watching every week.

For all his outbursts and rages, Klaus wears his heart on his sleeve far more visibly than even the more noble Elijah; which is why he feels disloyalty and betrayal so deeply. Rebekah saw that the most clearly of the three I think; which is why she tried to hash it out with him - whereas Elijah views him as an animal to be controlled....he still loves his brother, his just doesn't trust him. But forbeing that vulnerable, whether he's aware or not, I have to respect Klaus and like him more than the others. That's just me and my 'I'm for the underdog' soapbox. :)
More+
Flag
The best episode so far of the show. It was so emotional and I have to admit that it caught me off guard.
As Rebekah leaving the show, I think it would never be the same without her. She's the most interesting character of the show. I don't know why Julie Plec keeps on writing off the best characters on her series, like Katherine Pierce and Alaric in TVD. I really like her since TVD and now she's gone for good. So sad!
Flag
Imagine if they bring Katherine into this world with some crazy ghost twist?
Flag
Oh Lord I hope not!
Flag
Rebekah leaving took me by surprise and I'm very sad to see her go. I am a bit worried what this might do to the show but I will remain a fan. At least Klaus didn't kill her.

I don't think this episode changed my opinion of Klaus much. I like him as a character but I've disliked his self-centric brat attitude for a long time. People sometimes say that about Rebekah but honestly it's Klaus that always turns everything about himself and how people do things to him, like they didn't have their own lives and desires at all.

I'm not sure if I have a clear type of character I like but I know I like pretty much any fleshed out character with a variety of personality traits. I enjoy a baddie that isn't all evil and a goodie that isn't all pure in every intention. They can be geeky, badass, shy or just mean, it's just that undefined something that makes them appealing.
Flag
I have to add that often I find the conniving characters very annoying at first but eventually learn to love them, like Katherine in TVD or Catherine in Reign.(Coincidence? ;) My name also happens to be another derivative of Catherine.)
Flag
Did not know Claire Holt was leaving the show until reading this review, so when I saw the character of Rebekah smile in that last scene, I was okay with it because I knew she would be back, now I'm left wondering who will fill that gap. The Originals has been good in developing the main characters but it's been kind of lousy in making other female characters who aren't Rebekah stand out. Celeste had possibilities but they went and killed her and we didn't even get to see the love and hate relationship that could've been with her and Elijah. Rebekah will be missed.
Flag
Agree that the show wasn't very good at developing other female characters (other than Rebekah of course) that stand out.

I forget Hayley exists most of the time, for me she just carries the baby, her family plot isn't very appealing to me (I have to admitt some of her remarks are funny though but not enough to make her stand out that much as a bad ass female character).

Cami is often boring and I also forget she even exists (there was an ep. I didn't notice her absence until I read someone comment on that). I like the friendship she's developing with Klaus (when she's not analysing him, man, she sometimes overdoes it totally, it gets repetitive...) but they have zero chemistry unfortunately (I hope they don't get involved romatincally, no chemistry there, really).

Davina was getting intereting but since they keep paiting her as a child (and she actually looks like one, at least a minor) I can see they drawing a limite line there to where she could go or do. Besides she's still too innocent (looking and acting) it takes a while to go to the dark side and became the mess Rebekah is.

Celeste would have been a very good one, agree with you. If they had thought better and showed that her revenge desire walked side by side with her love for Elijah, we could have a great love/hate relationship with a complex multidimensional character (they ended up displaying her as a cruel vengeful bitch and only, until they just killed her... too easily in my opinion). Besides, Elijah would have another love interest and would stop pinning over the woman who's pregnant with his brother's child (that's creepy).

Rebekah will sure be missed!
More +
Flag
maybe Genevive's character will grow in strength... I also suspect that she is a little bit in love with Klaus...still :-)
Flag
I do like Genevieve. She came with a fair purpose and she was right to want revenge after what Rebekah did to her. Also she didn't mistreat or hurt Klaus just because he was at her mercy, she just wanted her revenge and she knew Klaus would want revenge too, afterall Rebekah almost got him killed.

The thing is, she came back to life in the place of one of the girls of the harvest. If she stays alive, one girl will remain dead. And all the girls shouldn't come back to life according to what was said about the purpose of the harvest? Didn't they spend their dead time being taught by other witches to come back stronger?
Flag
... Did you ever imagine that Rebekah would no longer be on the show?
I didn't know she was leaving and I just can't imagine the show without her, even if her being there in the first place felt weak to me...

... Will Rebekah's absence hurt your enjoyment of The Originals?
Absolutely, she was the first reason of enjoyment. But still, this is what her character should have been doing for some time, I'm kind of happy?

... What kinds of TV characters do YOU usually gravitate toward?
Recently I'm discovering an attraction to the underdogs or those characters that are mistreated for some reason? Like Tyler :D and Rebekah clearly!

... Do you like Klaus more or less after this episode?
Less and less every episode! He's a psychopath bully living in paranoia, he's just over redemption, understanding, forgiveness. He really is a destroyer like Mikael was.
Flag
Totally agreed about Klaus. They need to make his character mistreated, so he can show little bit of his heroic side. I am tired of his negativeness and foolishness. This is Originals not TVD. and you already have Marcell for antogonist. They need to work on his character. His character does have potential to attract people.
Flag
And he went under some character development in TVD, you can't just throw that away!
Flag
One more thing: so Genevieve is just chilling with the witches and letting a poor girl stay dead?
Flag
My thoughts exactly, friend... What about the poor fourth girl of the harvest?

Oh, and didn't they mention all the girls had to come back or the harvest wouldn't be complete and would've just been for nothing? Please, correct me if I'm wrong because I could have missed it when they gave the details about it (sometimes it's so confusing...).
Flag
The story said all of them would have returned, so it wasn't a big deal killing them. But even Genevieve said the witches were all excited because the girls were starting to come back. Does that mean they expect the fourth? Do they know Genevieve was dead and brought back by Celeste? Are they willingly accepting her as a new leader or are they scared? Since every witch we knew is now dead we really don't know anything about the magical community now, I don't even know if Genevieve can be considered the only Elder. Very very confused about all this.
Flag
@PriQM I really like Genevieve too! Maybe I liked Bastiana more though..
Flag
I can get on board with that explanation if they decide to give us that excuse. Genevieve, as the only possible elder now, would stay alive and the fourth dead girl would come back to life anyway (maybe even brought by Genevieve herself). I do like Genevieve I wish she could stay.
Flag
Definitely going to miss Rebekah.

Also, it seemed a little 'off' to me that during their entire argument, neither Rebekah nor Elijah brought up the whole "You killed our mother" thing, nor the "You stuck daggers in our chests and put us in boxes for years/decades/centuries" thing. Seems pertinent, particularly when Klaus was ranting about what an awful person Rebekah was for 'conspiring to kill [her] own blood'...
Flag
My guess is that Klaus probably accidentally killed Esther - he had just been turned into a vampire, found out he was a werewolf, had the hybrid curse put on him, etc.. and I think he may have just lost it. He didn't seem to have any desire to kill her again in Season 3 so I'm not so sure it was intentional on his part.

As for Esther she recently tried to kill all 5 of her children and Elijah seemed to be okay with her dying again in order to save his life and the lives of his siblings and wanted Stefan & Damon to stop her. Rebekah also threatened to kill Esther in Season 3 - then Esther took over her body and wound up turning Alaric into a vampire so he could kill all her children for her. So given recent events they really might not be all that broken up about her death - and it was Alaric who killed her most recently, not Klaus.
Flag
I more meant, pretty hypocritcal no?
Flag
Rebekah was the heart of the original family, yes all of them acted on impulse and feelings and emotions. But, she was the heart. I will continue to watch The Originals for sure, but Rebekah is going to be missed.

I think Klaus redeemed himself as a character this week. It was evident and Joseph Morgan's acting was superlative. I remember when the news for TVD's new villain "Klaus" came out and he was such a hyper villain, I remember checking out Joseph Morgan and I was soooooo underwhelmed. But, when he actually started to play Klaus we understand why they hired him. Klaus as a character had lost his way, but this episode tied the loose ends. It doesn't redeem him neither does it gain him moral ground (but Klaus and morality never did go well together), but he did start to make sense.

I dont think I can ever stop watching The Originals especially if it continues as well as the last few episodes.

#I&3Rebekah
Flag
Rebekah was never my favorite but like I mentioned she brought heart to the show. And her absence will definitely be felt.

My kinda character is the strong, silent, loyal, dangerous and nobel type mostly like Elijah or Stefan. It's never the Damon or the Klaus. I don't hate them. I just like Elijah and Stefan better.
Flag
I prefer Elijah over Klaus but Damon over Stefan. But I already mentioned I don't have a clear type, and I think also the actor portraying the role makes a big difference for me.
Flag
I agree.. the actor matters a lot... and I think the chemistry Paul wesley develops with most of the characters is awesome!
Flag
I think the show will tank without Claire. I hope not. But I think it will. TVD and the Originals have be very successful in developing male roles but not so for females leads. Rebekah was the only one watchers connected with and really pulled for. Even Elena Gilbert isn't even close to what Rebekah has become. People watched the show for all three original leads!
Flag
Agreed. They haven't been very successful in developing strong charismatic female characters in TVD and TO. Rebekah was one of very few. And, in TO, the only one in my opinion.

Hayley doens't have what it takes to fill in for Rebekah. She just carries the baby and talks about her family (her family plot is another thing that's quite boring). It's boring and repetitive. And she's so selfish sometimes it's hard to take (Elijah was all worried about getting Klaus and Rebekah back and all she could think of was that Celeste maybe was in the body of the Deveraux witch who had cursed her family, I mean, her clan, because her family is dead really).

Cami still needs to step up her game BIG time to fill in for Rebekah. She would seem just like a blondie imitation if she tried. Besides, she's too Miss Goody Two Shoes for it. A complex character like Rebekah doesn't happen overnight, it takes time, Rebekah took a thousand years to be like that. Besides, all Cami's been doing is overanalyzing Klaus (I admitt I like their friendship sometimes... when she's not playing supernatural therapyst).

And Davina is still a kid in their eyes (or at least that's how they're displaying her for us). There are limits then to waht she can be or do (she's still looks and acts too innocent to be a bad ass girl).

For a girl, it's hard to lose Rebekah. She was the strong willed complex bad ass girl who represented us! She will definitely be missed!
More +
Flag
Between panic and tears there was only one thing I was thinking while this amazing Rebekah-Klaus-goodbye: HUG. HIM. Right. Now!
That face? Broke my heart...
Flag
I was the same but instead of thinking it I was yelling at the tv like a mad woman. This episode ruined me I was a blubbering mess.
Flag
.. Did you ever imagine that Rebekah would no longer be on the show? No. Go away. I live in a perfect world where Claire is still on this show.
... Will Rebekah's absence hurt your enjoyment of The Originals? Not my favorite character, but oh god yes.
... Do you like Klaus more or less after this episode? I will always love Klaus. Even when he's being scary and predictable.
My type of character tends to be the quiet, smart type. In this case, it's Elijah. I love Klaus to bits (the guy needs a hug), and Rebekah is freaking amazing, and Davina is... Just. They all need hugs right now. But for some reason I like Elijah the most. I find Haley annoying at times, and cool the other times. Marcel is somewhat annoying. Just a bit. Cami can go die in a hole.
Flag
I gravitate towards sarcastic and cynical loners that are usually the antihero or even the villain of the story.
Flag
Likewise
Flag
becca was childish , she was like a 1000 year old kid. All her decisions were spontaneous , without the thought of consequences and driven purely by emotions. but that was her character which she played well. though she was never my fav character on the show , but , i never imagined the originals without a character as strong and righteous as her. there r no strong female characters left on originals , hayley wil get more screen time now , which will be good for her character development.
Flag
i hated marcel since start , but now i cant stand that douchebag. he is the reason rebecca called mikael , and he decided to not look for rebecca afterwards , what a coward , even now he chose Davina over safety of himself and bex, there r countless witches in the world but no he had to go back for one which is dead, and now he could have gone away with bex but no he chose to say bye bye , he loved new orleans more, poor becca , klaus was right about marcel. i like klaus more after the show.

Flag
TYPE OF CHARACTER i always root for are the ones who r nerds. whose brain is like a computer,those who r geniuses. examples are : fitz simmons(shield) felicity (arrow) stiles(teen wolf) root (POI) chuck (chuck) abby (ncis) nell eric (ncis la)
Flag
This episode just tore my heart out and ripped it to pieces. I'm a mess, a blubbering mess. The scene in the cemetery between klaus and Rebekah talking about how damaged they are, in that moment my heart broke and that was it I was gone, I can't even imagine this show without Rebekah. I love klaus even more after this episode and Michael is officially a $&/$;)$: there are not enough words to describe my hate red for him after actually seeing his cruelty towards klaus. I love how klaus keeped the wooden doll that was beautiful. Ester has been mentioned a lot lately I feel a resurrection coming. GO ELIJAH he showed them and marcel rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr marcel.
Flag
I don't recall that I was in such a mess since Bobby died in supernatural. This episode brought tears to my eyes.

Rebekah is one of the 3 originals and it is not going to be the same for me after she's gone...
Klaus, I hate you and I love you even more. I know deep down u really care for your family
Elijah is a different story, he's really the backbone of this family, trying his best to heal his them and maybe in a way fix himself... and I thought my family is damaged ;)

Still, I think the show is not going to fell on its feet. but I hope they don't try to fill Rebekah's void with Cami or Hayley...
Flag
No, Rebekah leaving was something which came as a big surprise, I mean, she is inclined in the title - "The Originals"... several things in this episode took me by surprise, like Klaus stabbing Elijah too, I was like, wauw! I did not see that coming! And I love that - being surprised.
I don't think her absence will mean much to me, sure, one less original will be something you'll notice, but she was getting on my nerves a little, so I can only be so sad about Rebekah leaving, it would be an entirely different matter, had it been Klaus leaving the plot, because to me, Klaus is the original, so as long as he's there, I'll keep watching and enjoying the show, unless he get's cozy with Cami (*shivers*), the mere thought of that is disturbing...
Hence, answering the next question. I tend to gravitate towards the bad guy, misunderstood and broken character. Like in Harry Potter, my favorite character is Draco Malfoy and thus in 'The Originals' and well, TVD - Niklaus Mikaelson. And I honestly don't know why that is, maybe I can relate a little? Maybe it's because they're complicated. They may seem evil, but there's so much more behind it, behind the curtain, which can be explored, you don't really know where you have them... Don't know... *shrugs*

And so to answer the last question - I like Klaus even more after this episode. Getting to know a little more about him and see the rare, gentle side of him. Like what Rebekah talked about, a little glimpse of the brother they knew, the human Klaus. A part which we haven't really seen, since he was with Caroline, I miss that Klaus, even though I enjoy the cruel one too :P
But now that a major character is gone, then what? Who are they putting in to fill that void? (secretly hoping it will be Caroline...)

It looks like we're going back to the plot from the first episode, only this time, it's Marcel taking the city back from Elijah? 0_0
"You're beginning to sound like me, I'm impressed..." I have to agree with Klaus on that one, truly impressed. Elijah seems to be stepping up his game as Klaus needs to sort out some sentimental feelings. I like that Klaus didn't go against Marcel and just walked away from the fight, I imagine it to be a rare occurrence.
Loved this episode, although most of the setting was in a graveyard, the things happening there was so intense, it didn't matter. I was actually a little annoyed every time the scene changed to Marcel or Devina, I could easily be satisfied with the entire episode taking place in the graveyard with the three originals. I was hooked to the screen and I was almost crying with Rebekah and Klaus at the end. Rebekah's speech about all of them being the strongest creatures and yet so broken, about them being truly cursed - wow! So bitterly beautiful. At the same time I was all: "Yaih! They're making up! Now, hug it out! Come on you two - hug it out!" But alas, no hugs...
This was really an episode with some major Klaus character development. Two things made that really clear to me: Klaus' comment about their father, whether or not their father had been ruined by his own father too and the fact that Klaus walked away, from a fight with Marcel. Yeah, I'm defiantly liking Klaus more...

So, I've seen a few photo caps for the next episode and I gotta admit, they make me a little nervous... :S
More+
Flag
Wow, is Atlanta really that bad? (I've no idea where it is, to be honest)

Flag
It's in Georgia, the South. The city itself isn't particularly nice from my experience.
Flag
I knew Rebekah wasn't long for this show, but I didn't think that her exit would be so... permanent (or at least, so heavily implied to be permanent). I always figured that she was going to eventually end up in a more reoccurring role here and on Vampire Diaries.

Her exit was beautiful, even if I'll miss her now that she's gone.
Flag
Oh, man, I am such a mess. I did not ever think Rebekah was going to leave, let alone so early on. This is absolutely insane. I love this character, like I have loved few in recent years and I doubt the show will have the same weight without her. But also, the story perfectly lead to this. Rebekah had no reason to stay in New Orleans. I've felt like she neither belonged nor was happy or was ever going to be. Now I know this was intentional, it makes me even more happy. Why? Rebekah deserves to be happy. Klaus stuffed her in a box too many times. She's been heartbroken too many times. That Matt Donovan induced smile has been completely absent in NO. So even though I will miss her, sincerely question what remains for me on this show, I love the fact that one of the sweetest fictional characters on TV is driving off to find her happy ending. Well earned, Rebekah.
Flag
Price's insight was alleviating. Rebekah has been my favorite since TVD and I reacted with a TON of hopelessness about Claire Holt's departure. On the bright side, Rebekah lives, and so I'm confident that she'll make triumphant cameos. If the show gains a lot of momentum, perhaps the show will someday be able to offer her a series regular salary that's absurd to turn down.
Flag
I so enjoyed this episode! Siblings often tread the on the line of love and hate but will defend their sibling if an outsider threatens. Love Rebekah and will miss her...The show is called The Originals but now there's only two! Klaus' story is about redemption and Elijah will make sure of that. Emotionally wreaked after watching this!
Flag
Clare Holt is a spectacular actress. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable Rebekkah shaped hole in my life and tbh I can't see how TO can ever recover from her (beautifully executed) departure. Heres hoping!
Flag
As for characters I am most likely to root for, I must have a thing for drunken, philandering men with daddy issues since my favorites are Don Draper, Damon Salvatore & Eric Northman.
Flag
This episode was sad. I loved it so much but I cried so much when she was talking to Hayley about the baby growing up and not knowing her.
Flag
Since characters keep returning to TVD & TO after death, goodbyes & loss, there was never a moment that I thought Rebekah was actually leaving the show. When Klaus stabbed her with the white oak stake, part of me gasped, but then I remembered she is an Original & immortal & nothing could really happen to her. I thought maybe she was taking a "break" from the show for maternity leave (or so the show did not have to include her pregnancy in the story-line) and this way her character did not have to be daggered. I feel cheated now knowing she is gone from the show. I didn't think that was the last time we would see Rebekah. Jules Pec has played cry wolf so many times with character's deaths, & good-bye, that it is hard to garner genuine emotion when someone really leaves the show.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members