A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

The Originals S01E15: "Le Grand Guignol"

Storytelling is hard. Hear me out. Whether it's writing novels or even just explaining to your dry cleaners how your fur coat became matted in melted Skittles, there's a specific way to impart information for maximum impact and entertainment value. Obviously you need to end on a punchline, even in a serious story. You also have to set the scene up front—location, characters, stakes—so that people will feel more riveted as the events unfold. It's not "I got melted Skittles on my fur coat because I sat on them," it's "We were at the Prime Minister's daughter's debutante ball and I'd been gifted a fur coat by a mysterious vagabond with a false arm and an eye patch, and he warned me to protect the fur at all costs lest a terrible curse befall my family. I then proceeded to sit on some melted Skittles." THAT is storytelling.

As good as The Originals has been about spinning engaging yarns from an originally inert premise, this new Mikael storyline has not been very well delivered! The first problem was informing us up front that Rebekah and Marcel had summoned him. Why were we supposed to care? What was so bad about Mikael? Then we spent an entire episode where the tension was supposed to come from Klaus learning a fact we already knew. We should've learned who summoned Klaus right alongside Klaus. But even if we had, why would it have been shocking other than The Originals simply telling us it would be? The Originals should've first shown us Mikael's reign of terror AND THEN revealed that Rebekah had been the one to send for him. Plus, we already know the ultimate punchline of this story: Mikael gets staked in Mystic Falls sometime in the 2010s like it's no big deal. Our knowledge of this kiiiinda undercuts the tension a lot. See, this is why I don't like prequels: We usually know how they end.

Fortunately, despite the storyline's out-of-order reveals and this show's previous insistence on telling us information rather than showing it to us, "Le Grand Guignol" went a long way toward finally, finally making us afraid of Mikael, and hence more understanding of Klaus's rage. Honestly it's still hard to care that much about a century-old grudge that Klaus didn't even know he had, but now that we finally have the full picture of what Mikael did, it's much easier to be invested. Personally I hope this is the last time that an Original discovers something about the past and it becomes some crazy-huge blow-up. What, will Elijah discover that back in the '70s Klaus once used his jheri curl activator without asking and then declare a vendetta against him in 2014? Let's maybe keep our grudges present-tense from now on, show.

The centerpiece of "Le Grand Guignol" was without a doubt Mikael's literally theatrical massacre. His entry into New Orleans entailed several dramatic conversations with his children and Marcel, but it wasn't until the curtains rose on his particularly grisly opera rewrite that we finally learned the extent of his cold-blooded madness. For me it finally clicked: "Oh, he wasn't just a threat to Klaus, he was also a threat to everything Klaus cared about." Yes, the show had certainly mentioned this aspect of the situation, but it never deigned to demonstrate it until now. A crucified Marcel, an impaled Werewolf Queen, the compelled laughter of an audience of Klaus's neighbors—THIS was the nightmare Rebekah wrought. That final image of a burning opera house (in which Marcel was believed to have been incinerated) finally brought home why the Mikaelsons had to flee, and why it took so long for them to want to return. It was powerful, evocative storytelling. It was just lamentably told out of order.

The episode's foundation for the flashbacks was Klaus's bedridden exposition to a babysitting Cami. Elijah removed Klaus's dagger (in an extremely disgusting chest-fisting) and tasked Cami with feeding him blood (Cami is such a good sport!), but this pairing went a long way toward getting us back on Klaus's good side. Even when he's refusing Cami's advice, Klaus's general respect for her has made him seem much less monstrous. Shortly before the big flashback to the opera house scene, Cami made a plea for Klaus to chill out a bit about murdering his own siblings, and for a second there I thought it might even work. I'm very into Cami now, and that's admittedly a hard-won victory on The Originals' part. While I never believed she'd ever be an equal to the very powerful main characters, as it turns out her role as Klaus's confidante elevates her status within this world in a very believable way. She seems to be the angel on his shoulder and it's a terrific dynamic for both characters. Very into it.

Another thing I'm into: Rebekah and Marcel's scramble to save themselves. The main reason being that it involves murdering the resurrected witches and bringing Davina back to life! Yes, yes, YES. I've really missed Davina. While I was sad to see Bastiana go so easily (Marcel popped her head right off!), it made me so happy when we got Davina back. It's not clear whether she'll be as powerful as she once was now that her magic has been redistributed, but still. She's kind of the heart of the show and her involvement in Marcel and Rebekah's safety will surely give Klaus pause, right?

Then there was the Sabine-Hayley-Elijah stuff, which was similarly amazing. After Hayley shovel-clocked Sabine last week, she took her to the swamps where she and her werewolf pals held Sabine at shotgun point. At that point Sabine rather easily agreed to make a mystical green smoothie to break the werewolf curse—an act which, as she gleefully pointed out, would ruin Elijah's relationship with Hayley either way. If Elijah prevented Hayley from breaking the curse she'd hate him for it, and if he allowed it, she'd leave him to be with her people (who wouldn't want to hang with a bunch of naked hunks?). Obviously Elijah allowed Hayley to have the antidote, he's not that much of a dick. Plus he had his own clever scam going: He'd enlisted Sophie's niece to place a curse on Celeste's remains, should Sabine attempt to jump bodies again. So after Sabine locked all the Originals in the cemetery and dramatically committed suicide, she was surprised to find herself back in her original form. At that point Elijah straight-up murdered her! So uh, yeah: Sabine/Celeste is dead, but her number-one scheme appears to live on. The episode ended with all three Mikaelsons trapped in the cemetery, getting all fanged-out and crinkly faced at each other. It's like a Mexican showdown but with 1,000-year-old vampires!

While I still think Mikael's story wasn't revealed as well as it could have been, the fact remains that the story itself is GOOD. I think the main problem is that The Originals needed to parcel it out over too many episodes and attempted to derive shocking twists from things that wouldn't have been shocking if they'd taken place in the correct order. But I should stop backseat writing this thing. "Le Grand Guignol" was a very entertaining hour of television and it finally made me understand Klaus's rage. I'm obviously still rooting for him to chill out and get over it (and we know he will, because I really doubt Rebekah or Elijah are going anywhere), but the bigger picture of these characters is starting to come together and it looks pretty great from here.

QUESTIONS

... Klaus's biological father was referred to TWICE in this episode. How long until we meet him?

... Alaric's super mega white oak stake was back! Did you get nostalgic for TVD Season 3?

... Do you think Mikael himself will be resurrected somehow?

... How much will you miss Bastiana?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

176 Comments
Comments (176)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
... Klaus's biological father was referred to TWICE in this episode. How long until we meet him?

I'm sure curious to meet him, but I do hope that happens in flashbacks because really he should be dead by now. And, according to TVD, Mikael killed him and his entire family as soon as he found out about Esther's cheating (Elijah said so in TVD season 2). I know Esther could have turned him, and Mikael killing him would just be what he needed to turn, but really, would he spend a thousand years hiding, no attempts to find his own son? Can someone be that discreet and never tries to contact your only living family?
Besides, then he would be a hybrid, an Original Hybrid, and I think the only one should be Klaus (he always felt so isolated because of that, it would be stupide if there we other hybrids, and specially another Original one).

... Alaric's super mega white oak stake was back! Did you get nostalgic for TVD Season 3?

I enjoyed TVD season 3 a lot but I miss Alaric more than the season itself!

... Do you think Mikael himself will be resurrected somehow?

He would be a very good villain, it was really ridiculous how he was killed in TVD so easily but I think they didn't leave any way for him to come back (Klaus staked him and watched as he burned to ashes... I mean we all watched).
For TVD, it's kind of weird but they didn't leave any holes that would allow Mikael to come back. And if it's to force a situation and give a silly explanation to bring him back, please, leave him dead (it's like the baby story... nothing against babies but I'm still waiting for a good explanation, a real one, better than "it's a nature's loophole because they're wolves", huh?!).

... How much will you miss Bastiana?

Not a bit, she's creepy, just die already crazy witch!
More+
Flag
I didn't watch this episode, but you make some great points. The writer's need to stop doing things for the sake of doing them, and write them because the story flows and makes sense. I still believe that someone said, "Oh, what if Klaus had a baby! He'll finally get what he's been searching for." Never mind that the details didn't actually make sense, and still don't. I mean werewolf/vampire/witch hybrid? Nope.
Flag
My thoughts exactly. Someone just woke up and thought: "How great would be if Klaus had a baby!" and that was it! The explanation was awful.. I mean there was no explanation really.

When I first watched I was waiting for a good one, I even made up a few theories (that ended up being better than the writers lack os explanation).

For example:
- Since Klaus couldn't make any more hybrids (Elena had being turned into a vampire... so no more doppleganger's blood) because of his werewolf side (nature thinks of vampires as abominations but not wolves, they are part of it actually) there should be a way for him to preserve his species and multiply (that would not have happened before because there was always a possibility he could break his curse).

- Remembering that when he impregnated Hayley Katherine wasn't human yet and there was no indication she would be, so still no deppleganger's blood (and Nature couldn't know she woukd be, so...).

- Nature would've taken into its own hands and found a way to preserve the hybrid species by allowing him to precreate with a female werewolf to make a hybrid who could make more hybrids, allowing the species to multiply (I know they are part vampire, but they are also part werewolf... and since that was the basis of the awful explanation they gave us I think it's good enough).

- That would also explain why he would only have one child (based on what they told us, Klaus can find a she-wolf to be his mate and have a child per year with her until the day she died or was turned... He could have thousands of children with different she-wolves over the years who would be super witch hybrids that could make more hybrids - think of the mess...).

So sorry about the long comment. I was just trying to make a point, that if a nobody like me can think of a decent explanation, so could they. But of course they can always correct their mistake and explain later (I hope they do it).
More +
Flag
Except lately they haven't been correcting their mistakes, just making more.
Flag
Kol better be resurrected before Mikael!
Flag
I wish, but I doubt it. Isn't he on that Supernatural spin-off now? I thought TV,com had an article about that.
Flag
I loved this episode so much! I cannot wait for the outcome (although, yes, we know none of them is going anywhere!). Also, DAVINA!!! Thank God.

Yes, I got a bit nostalgic of TVD season 3, but mostly of Alaric's bromance with Damon &3
Flag
I agree with the out-of-order reveals, Mikael didn't seem that scary in Mystic Falls but I have to say that's a common problem in TVD, usually "the bad guys" don't seem that powerful (Silas!) and they are always killed by a bunch of teens and baby vamps. But here Mikael was great and horrible at the same time, and the sibling's fear of him was very well explained. I loved the "It's my fault" from Rebekah, and Klaus for once being humble saying it was his fault and that he was sorry. You can see in Rebekah's face how bad she feels about betraying her brothers.

About Mikael, it is curious that when he introduced himself to Marcel he said: My son Niklaus. He keeps calling Niklaus son but then he is like "I am not your father" or "that thing you call your brother" (to Elijah). I don't understand you, Mikael! I loved Klaus conversation with Mikael, it was needed to understand the complicate relationship between both.

A very good episode, and the next promises to be great. I expect it to be very emotional, and to introduce us in the complicate fraternity love of Rebekah and Klaus.

I expect a lot of this, too:
Rebekah: You broke my neck.
Klaus: You threw away Elena’s blood so I can’t make any more hybrids.
Rebekah: Because you took me for granted.
Klaus: That’s what big brothers do, sweetheart.
More+
Flag
1. I would LOVE to get to know more about Klaus' biological father and his wolf legacy entirely. To see Klaus create a relationship/bond with them would be really awesome!
2. I'm a little confused at how Klaus has the stake, maybe I'm just missing something, but didn't Silas have it in season 4? I remember him stabbing Klaus and making him believe Silas broke it in his back...?
3. I would have to say no about Mikael resurrecting himself, but then again, Esther managed to do so and let's face it, how many people, who died in this show and TVD, actually remained dead? So it's not entirely impossible, but I seriously hope not, I don't want Klaus to be psychologically tormented like that again, watching the flashbacks are hard enough, and I think he has enough on his plate to deal with at the moment...
Now, for more general thoughts:
Ah my heart broke a couple of times in this episode. Every time there's a Klaus/Mikael scene, my heart breaks a little for Klaus, while I feel for him a little more and just want him to be happy :'( Stupid Mikael...
Oh and when Elijah had called Cami, I was like: "Lol, what did you bring her for? You really think she can make a difference?" While he is right and Klaus wouldn't immediately kill off Cami, she wouldn't ever be able to convince Klaus not to take his revenge out on Rebekah. Although she tried, she failed miserably. Now, if Elijah had thought it through and brought Caroline, I think it would have had a different effect. Klaus did give up his dealings with both Tyler and Katherine, for Caroline after all. And he helped with a big lead in finding the cure, even if Rebekah thought he wouldn't... ;) I don't care what people say about this whole, "Cami and Klaus" thing, it's a laugh. Sure, he tells her things about his past, for some weird reason and if she had just the slightest bit of humanity in her, she would feel for him and understand the things he do. For a psychology major, she really knows nothing about human psychology/actions and consequences, I mean, it seems I know more than her, with my basic studies...? But it may be that she's just too busy judging...
And this is why I like Caroline for Klaus, so much more than Cami, because Caroline didn't know about the things Klaus had gone through and she still saw that he did, what he did because he was hurting and she saw the good in him (which she just admitted in TVD 0515). Seeing past flaws beats being judging any day... And then there's of cause the chemistry, oh and infamous eye- connections, I'm just not feeling it with Klami as much as I do with Klaroline...

I loved the flashback to 1919, seeing Klaus and Elijah in that bar, celebrating the result of their hard work - peace union between vampires, werewolves and witches is how I imagine them at ease. Being leaders in this sort of union, I imagine them finally content and happy and I want that for them again.
Also, I wonder what would have happened, if Rebekah and Marcel had been smart enough, to go to Mystic Falls, the one place Klaus had promised never to return to - they could have been safe there, just saying... *shugs* I would have loved seeing how Klaus would react to that, it would be an awesome plot twist! But since Plec is a Klaroline hater, she wouldn't do anything like that, even if it would an exciting turn of events for the storyline. We'll have to rely on Elijah to save the day and sort out the mess between his remaining two siblings - with his awesome vamp-face! :) Hope to see more of that.

About Rebekah, yeah, I understand Klaus' anger and I do think she needs to pay for it, somehow and even though she annoys me to no end, I don't want her dead. I want her and Klaus to sort it out somehow...

I loved that Davina finally got back! She really did bring something good to the show, although Marcel's devotion to her, is just a little creepy, and I don't really know what to make of it... :S I'm very excited to see what's in store for her.

I gotta admit, that as New Orleans burned, forcing Klaus and Rebekah to flee, I had a hard time not smiling to my self, because I knew, from TVD, that after that, they would go to Chicago, where they'd meet Stefan the Ripper and start a beautiful friendship/brotherhood :)

More+
Flag
Silas never had the stake. That was just a hallucination - Caroline was looking for the stake in his back (he asked her to cut it out) and she told him that there was nothing in there. They later yelled at each other and he snapped out of it (like when Rebekah slapped Caroline to snap her out of it). Klaus has had the stake since 4x19.
Flag
I feel like as a stand alone show, Price's points are very good for story order. BUT as an avid TVD fan, I was super thrilled to hear the cliffhanger that Rebekah and Marcel had been the ones to bring Mikael to town. Already knowing what a horror he was from TVD, I was like "WHUUUT!" and I really enjoyed the TVD/TOG tie in and was hooked to know what the backstory would be, because I already had the knowledge of awful Mikael and the pain he will cause in Klaus' future. Tie in's are great and when Klaus pulled out the silver stake, I was so excited that we solved the mystery of "who took the stake??" that never had even occurred to me during TVD but really should have occurred to me because that stake is pretty high stakes (lol).
Flag
1. Klaus' biological father: I'd like to meet him. Hope it's not long.
2. Alaric's white stake: no, not nostalgic for TVD Season 3 but sure do miss Alaric.
3. I hope Mikael is not resurrected! I'm really burnt out with all the resurrection. Stop it. Let death mean something.
4. I will not miss Bastiana at all.

And I'm sorry Davina is back. Stop already with the resurrecting!! Unless it's Alaric. Everyone else stay dead.

You know it really seems like there is one plot and only one plot on this show which we've all talked about before. It's that of the Originals betraying one another, or carrying a grudge against a real or imagined betrayal, or planning a betrayal, or finding out about yet another betrayal and on and on and on. I just don't care about any of these betrayals anymore. They're boring. Don't they have anything better to do?
Flag
Hi,
1. surely Klaus' Bio-Dad can't appear as as far as I remember werewolves aren't immortal?
- could I suppose be got around by saying something like Esther (was that the originals Mom?) gave him immortality with her witchy ways
2. Didn't someone make a white oak stake from the remains of the bridge in Mystic Falls ... foggy memory here?
3. did Celeste manage to jump into Davina? or is that the last we will see of her?

Flag
That mega white oak stake IS the stake that they made from the bridge. They had 12 stakes all together, which they gave to Klaus in exchange for...saving Jeremy from a compelled Damon I think? And then it turned out the Salvatores kept one. Esther then possessed Bonnie and used Alaric to make that one stake indestructible.
Flag
I was just answering Price's questions. I don't think werewolves are immortal but there is always a loophole available, you know?

Yes, there was a white oak stake in Mystic Falls. Can't remember who made it either lol. That remark was in response to Price's question.

I also don't think Celeste jumped into Davina but again, death is very often temporary in this world so nothing would surprise me.
Flag
Sorry but this is not TVD. How on planet fucking earth can you be talking about Alaric in The Originals?! WTF!!!!??
Flag
Chest-fisting. Fabulous.
Flag
Almost as good as the fisting twunks from Teen Wolf.

OT: But I thought you might like to know that you can now pre-order tickets to see Veronica Mars in Dundrum. I did it earlier today!
Flag
Cool thanks!!
Flag
wouldn't it be interesting that Klaus real dad..the werewolf would have a connection with Hayley's crescent moon family and their baby somehow meant to be?I am really hoping for this to be somehow related
Flag
The only TVD/Originals plot hole that really annoys me regards Kol:

Remember in that episode when he was going on and on to Elena about how awesome the alcohol was in New Orleans at the turn of the century?
When did he get a chance to have any? did they pour it into his mouth while he was daggered in his coffin!?

Flag
Everyone seems to be complaining a lot that Klaus would try to kill Rebekah, and how uncool that is, but it's like what Mikael said before his death on TVD, "Your impulse Niklaus, it is the one thing that keeps you from being truly great." Sure Cammi may be right, Klaus may regret killing Rebekah after the fact, but it's what he feels right now. Klaus and Damon are both like that. Right now TVD and the Originals are contending with the impulsive side of those characters.
Flag
Yup, that's what happened with his mom. He was so furious and out of sorts after she put the curse on him, he didn't even realize what he'd done until it was too late. I think Klaus has that "red haze" that violent people get. They kind of black out and then come to after the fact.
Flag
Completely agree. He's like "kill first, talk later". He lets himself get blinded by rage and often does stupid things he wouldn't do if he managed to control his impulse and think before acting. Mikael may be an ass but he was right, Klaus's impulse is the one thing keeping him from truly being great.
Maybe a good step foward towards his redemption (wasn't that the basic point of The Originals?), better than being a father, or being loved by his child, would be if he could finally let his love for his family overcome his impulse and rage for the first time and he could forgive Rebekah (though I'm not sure she deserves... I mean, Klaus is an awful excuse for a brother but he never tried to kill her for good, on the contrary, he would dagger her sometimes to save her... And she plotted to kill him... I know that happen on TVD already but there she had just found out Klaus had killed Esther and had blamed it on Mikael for a 1000 years).
Flag
I literally LOL'd when Davina woke up still in her shroud because Marcel didn't bother to unwrap her. The poor girl can't catch a break!
Flag
SO WHEN SABINE DIED DAVINA CAME BACK. WHEN BASTIANA DIED WHO THE HELL CAME BACK????? ALSO THAT WAS THE FIRST TIME ELIJAH HAS EVER SHOWED HIS VAMP FACE
Flag
I think that's also a cliff hanger we did not get to see who replaced Bastiana Maybe Mikael lol
Flag
mikael was a vamp why would he come back
Flag
Not sure how many Heroes fans here.. but the final shot of this episode was extremely reminiscent of the final shot of Season 1 Episode 20: 5 Years Gone, where Peter Petrelli & Sylar both flame/ice up and the episode ends.
Flag
I agree with everything Price said, I will add that it's even dumber ending it on a cliffhanger of Klaus attacking Rebekah. We know he won't stake her so what's the point?

The witches were gotten off too easily and stupidly. It's like they are utterly stupid it's not even funny.

And for the life of... What was this idiotic thing about Rebekah and Marcel staying? They could have just taken Devina and left town. They needed a cloaking spell? Get one of the many witches all over the world.

Do we need yet again to remind them that Elijah had witches working for him in season 2? Do we need to remind them to pick up the phone and ask Bonnie for help? Heck, why not ask one of the other witches in this town to do it?

And as for Devina? Just take her with you, as soon as Bastiana's killed she comes back right? Witches aren't imortals, they'll do it sooner or later.

And worst case scenario? Just compel a human to kill her late...
Flag
Please read the synopsis at least before you start concluding.Elijah would reveal a secret that would be a game changer.Counting on that
Flag
I think the worst part comes with the thought: If there is a cloaking spell, why Katherine never used any and let Klaus haunt her for 500 years? The witches were killed unbelievably stupid, indeed. Since the element of surprise was gone, Bastianna and Genevieve should easily take down Marcel and Rebekah. And Monique? How did she trust Elijah? Dah...
Flag
Monique relies on the harvest so much that she'll trust anyone just to know who's on her side.Its realistic to me
Flag
It's possible Katherine did have a spell up, which is why she kept touch with Emily in the first place. After all, she was a prominent figure in Mystic Falls without any fear of Klaus until Elena and the moonstone showed up.

Monique's dealing with Elijah had no consequences to Monique, so I don't see much problems with doing it.

But yeah, why did Genevieve let Rebekah and Marcel go?
If she can incinirate them, why on earth didn't she do it?
They had Klaus captive and did nothing to him, had Rebekah incapacitated and did nothing. Same for Elijah.

Now they let her go - AGAIN?!?
Why?
Flag
That ending was hilarious..I just take it as a cool visual to see everyone vamp face, obviously they wont kill each other...The entire problem with the show is that the 3 leads cant die because they are the leads, but within the show they also cant be killed by anyone else. Which means there are now stakes they are never in real danger.

Elijahs witchs are dead..So are Klaus's. Marcel didnt want to leave Davina behind, they tried to leave taking Davina with them but Rebeckah got trapped in the cemetery..Yes the many witch's in the world that openly show themselves and advertise there services to vampires. Bonnie is no longer a witch. Loool Monique is the only witch left that we know of,

Flag
With Julie Plec you never know... She's famous for killing important characters... and then bringing them back.
She's killed Elena, one of leads, twice (the first time, Bonnie brought her back and the second, she turned into a vamp). Jeremy should win prize for "dying and coming back", even when you think there's no way out.
I mean, even though I think it's an awful idea, as far as we know Plec could not only bring Mikael back but also kill one of the leads and then bring them back later.
Flag
I don't think the writers were trying to make us think someone will die, because like you said, they're the three mains. I knew that, but liked it because it's leading up to a battle between them, which is satisfying enough.
Flag
Except we see those battle all the freaking time. We've seen them brawling constantly. Heck, last episode ended with Klaus tossing Rebekah around.
Flag
Anyone can kill an original, Elena had no problem doing it... Twice.
But yeah, the dealings of knowing none of the main characters can die is silly.

Elijah's father and son team may have died, but surely in over 1000 years he has met other witches. How come Damon \ Katherine seem to know far more witches than the originals?

And Klaus's witches aren't dead. Only 2 of them did. The father warlock that worked for Elijah said Klaus has an army of witches and Greta was just one of them. They also said his favorite trick was to hop into other people's bodies. Isn't it funny how he never does that again?

As for Bonnie, let's assume that Rebekah knows Bonnie isn't a witch. So what? Witches are hereditary. She has at least 1 cousin we know of. Her mom had dealings with other covens of witches. Heck, even Damon figured out even if she isn't a witch she can surely call one up.

The idea that 1000 year old vampires have no witches in their calling cards even though this universe is filled with them is absurd.
Flag
One of the witches Elijah met JUST tried to kill him..But i accept that having lived so long not having an army of witches at your beck and call is ridiculous.
Klaus was hyped BEYOND belief before his arrival. He spent 2 and a half seasons tangling with highschoolers in mystic falls when his legend suggest he would have just wiped them all out
. As they where the 'heroes ' of the show they kept having to create contrivances which allowed them all to live. While being an exceptional character he hasn't exactly replicated the hype he was given during season 2 on TVD.
Klaus is also meant to be able to transform to a wolf at will but he has never done that either. Damon and Katherine only knew Emily and by extension found two members of her descendants in bonnie and Lucy (who has never been seen again).
Call it the arrogance of being immortal why the originals don't bother having witches anymore. To be honest you could nitpick this (and most other shows) to death with minimal effort so just accept it for what it is rather than finding all the reasons it dosen't make sense.
Flag
This show continues to drive a stake through my heart, what are they doing to me. I loved this episode and the ending ahhhh, I glad Celeste is dead and Devinas back yessssss I missed her. I was wondering if we might meet klaus's biological father some how since his bloodline is in town and he was mentioned in this episode, I found this show doesn't mention key people without it being important down the track. I want to know how marcel survived the fire, and how could he make a deal with Michael not nice marcel not nice, maybe if Rebekah and klaus's find out they can work together to kill or really hurt marcel
Flag
So, if Klaus never knew about Marcel & Rebekah's betrayal of conjuring Mikael until Genevieve showed him last episode , how was he able to recap the flashback to Cami about Marcel working with Mikael? It wasn't in Rebekah's memories because she (along with all the other Originals) thought he was murdered by their dad. Also, not 100% sure how Elijah was able to kill Celeste once she was in her original (no pun intended) body. Was it due to Monique's spell? Other than that, beautiful episode. Loved to see the monstrosity that was Mikael & now know the point in which Klaus lost his humanity (that is how you know this is a spin-off of TVD, someone throws around the idea of turning off your humanity)... and YES I fully agree that REBEKAH should be the new STELLLLA!!!!!!!
Flag
Monique's spell bound Celeste to her own body, so she can't jump around anymore.
Ergo, even after death - she's stuck.

Well, for now anyway. On this witches tend to comeback whenever they wish (see Esther, Tessa)
Flag
It's kinda sad and funny when the many questionable choices on TVD bite this show in the ass. Just to name a few: killing the great and fearsome Mikael on Tyler's doorstep, killing off Kol as a plot convenience, and killing Finn because.....I can't actually remember. Must have been anti-climactic. Killing off half of the Originals is an example of the severe lack of foresight and under-utilization characters often present on TVD.
Flag
Agree completely.

Mikael would be the best villain ever, he could be the plot that would happen through many seasons of the show and the end could be an epic battle in which he would end up dead. It's a show about The Original family, who could be a better villain than the father who haunted his own children for a 1000 years?

And Kol would be the cool character with that swagger that's missing in the show. Finn, well, I don't know, he was kind of a suicidal type, but at the same time, his personality was not well developed or displayed to us, so they could change him a little to fit. He could be the good two shoes guy who would try to talk some sense into Kalus head along with Elijah, but without being so "let's sacrifice all for family" (he had a girlfriend, Sage, and he didn't leave her for family).

There were other ways to do what they wanted in TVD without the need to kill the Originals. Oh, and the fact they buried Esther and consacrated her remains (it's like killing her for good) at least to me shows that they don't intend to bring her back again .
More +
Flag
Finn was killed to demonstrate that when an Original dies their entire bloodline dies with them.

I do agree with you though. When Esther was doing her spell to rid the earth of vampires they could have learned that if The Originals died the entire vampire species would die right along with them and the result would have been the same - Damon would have turned Abby into a vampire to save his life, the life of Stefan, and Caroline. There was no need to actually kill any of them off. Finn could have just left town with Sage, Kol could have been daggered until the Silas thing was over (like Klaus & Rebekah were planning on doing).
Flag
It pains me to say it, but I'm not loving The Originals. I wish I was because I was psyched when the spin-off was announced. Love Klaus and Rebekah and they drive the show IMO because Marcel is forgettable and Hayley and Elijah are irritating. The premise and the plot doesn't live up to my expectations, sadly... It is good but it is capable of greatness. I am actually nervous before each episode because I really want the show to deliver and I breathe out with relief when the episode turns out decent. I remember when TVD delivered thrills, twists and excitement left and right, and now it has sort of burnt out, but at least it had a good run. This show was never this exciting to begin with, and I already feel like it stalls and recycles some storylines ad nauseam.

Flag
I don't know, I still think that Klaus deciding to kill Rebekah is going a bit to far. I just don't buy it, that after everything they have been trough he would just kill her, no matter what she did. I mean she conspired to kill him with the Salvatore brothers and Mikael in Mystic Falls and he didn't even get mad so why is this such a big deal that he would try to kill his own sister. Klaus did some terrible things but he never tried to kill any of his siblings, he dagger-ed them, but never killed them, not even Finn and he seemed genuinely hurt when Kol died . I always thought that out of all his siblings Rebekah was the one he cared most about, and while I get that that makes her betrayal worse , I still don't get his sudden determination to kill her, dagger her sure, maybe even torture her in some way, but not kill her, that just seems to be going to far.
Flag
Yes, that point previously made no sense. Especially since he didn't even care that much that Katherine was the one to free Mikael in the first place.

However, this episode puts the pieces together (as best as anything in the insanely ridden plot holes of TVD universe)

Right before Mikael came to town, Klaus gave Marcel and Rebekah his permission. That was a huge thing for him to do, let them be together and admit that the world doesn't revolve around him and they should be happy together if they can.

Essentially, they betrayed him *after* he gave his heart to them. That's what made it such a big deal.
Flag
I think to him this time it’s more about the fact that he made New Orleans perfect for them, he accomplished something, he was Loved, he had power (everything he ever wanted) and she helped take it from him. The acts for which they got dagger-ed where minor in his eyes because he hadn’t accomplished everything he wanted yet.

Personally I find it a bit repetitive, he’s always trying to hurt his family and it’s getting old. He’s done so much worse to them and when they do it to him he’s the saint that did nothing wrong. His family has forgiven him way too much and he can’t do the same.
Flag
I completely agree with the whole forgiveness thing, Klaus has a habit of acting like a spoiled brat, everything has be his way, he can do whatever he wants and expects everyone to forgive him but he himself never has to forgive anyone, and his temper tantrums are getting a bit old. I just have a hard time believing he would go that far, even though he completely ignores all the things Rebekah has forgiven him for and he feels more betrayed than ever I still can't see him going as far as killing her. After seeing him react that way to Kol's death I would imagine Rebekah's would be worse, and it's a little hard to believe that he himself would do that, Cami was right killing Rebekah may be his first instinct but he would regret it because after everything she is still his sister and he still loves her, I guess I just expected him to realize this by now and I am very disappointed he didn't
Flag
Why are people whining that the witches are dead already.

They've been prominent for about 5 episodes now their arc is over. How long did u think they were going to last fucking with the baddest vampires ever. The problem is the originals themselves. They are just to powerful.
Nobody except Esther and Mikael could kill them and they are both dead (although I see Esther coming back by seasons end) . This means anyone going against the originals has a time span.
This is the same thing I asked myself after Klaus slaughtered everyone in river in reverse.. He could have just overpowered Marcel at the start but he has a soft spot for him which is why Marcel is even alive. The only people who are a danger to the originals are the ones they care about therefore they are all each others greatest strength and weakness. The witches have been doing decent damage to the originals but they cant kill them, they have created a situation now where the originals might kill each other. (obviously this wont happen or no show).

The show will now move onto Klaus werewolf family and Hayleys werewolf family.

Also I can see Klaus and Genevieve coming together soon.
More+
Flag
Really? Nobody except Esther and Mikel can kill them? Cause Elena killed 2 of them already (Kol and Finn). She was human for one and a vamp for the other.
Okay, Jeremy was the one pulling the stick but whatever, it was her plan.

Anyway, the originals really aren't that powerful. Abby decicated Mikel originally, Bonnie took down Klaus many times. Devina kicked all of their butts and so did Papa Tunde.

The witches arc was bothersome by their demise not because it's over so soon, but because it was over so stupidly. Papa Tunde nearly killed all 3 originals. And he could have easily done that again. Why did he bother killing himself just to make that stupid dagger? He could have just waited to setup a trap for any of the original and do the same thing he did to Rebekah to any of them.
Only this time not be a total moron and actually hide the body...

And their big plan was to incapacitate all 3 of them and... do what? Make them fight each other? That's the dumbest plan ever. Why didn't they just kill them? Or at the very least bury them in a safe at the bottom of the ocean like Silas did?

Bastiana's death was equally stupid. They asked Tierry for help to do what? Just distract them? Why didn't they just compel a human to do it? They aren't imortals obviously. Just compel someone to pull a gun on them and be done with it.

That's my beef with their death. It was just too stupid.
More +
Flag
Kol was the victim of some of the worst Vampire diaries writing ever. A newbie vamp and a newbie hunter not only killed him but were able to go toe to toe -__-...
Finn was barely a character, he was a plot device to show what happened when you killed an original..

Prior to the white oak stake discovery in mystic falls Esther and Mikael had the only means to kill them.

Yes the witches plan itself was stupid, but as you pointed out the originals are not invincible they can be hurt and even defeated by powerful maguc, BUT NOT KILLED. That thing Papa Tunde did to Rebeckah didn't kill her permanently did it, she was basically daggered .

''Anyway, the originals really aren't that powerful. Abby dessicated Mikel originally, Bonnie took down Klaus many times. Devina kicked all of their butts and so did Papa Tunde''.
Yet they all still lived afterwards, which is my point..And why its time for the witches to go.

Also you might realize it was CELESTE'S plan (convoluted and dumb, but she was understandably vengeful) not the witch's as a whole... Bastianna and tunde where used just because they were fairly powerful..Celeste and Genevieve had personal vengeances playing out..You cannot say there plan didnt work either, at this exact point in time Klaus has the white oak which can kill Rebeckah and Elijah..(Obviously as viewers we know this wont happen) .
More +
Flag
But the point remains nontheless - If the writers wanted to, they would give you some mumbo jumbo to make it happen.

And as you pointed out the Tessa bs of a storyline was written by the same writers... This show is hardly consistent. They constantly shift rules to their will not to mention power levels or their world's history.

You're going for logic in the most inconsitent show on earth.
And I used to watch Xena Warrior princess...

Flag
But once you incapacitate them, all you need is a white oak and they are gone. Considering witches can contact the other side, or any of the mystic falls gang they can find that out.

Locator spell or something and you are good to go.

The point is that once their weakness is known, anyone can point the stick and kill them.

Not to mention, if Tessa can make a cure for imortality, no reason other witches can't either.

Short answer: A wizard did it.
Flag
Klaus has the only stake left. If they had been incapacitated like this in mystic falls then they easily would have been killed but they weren't. They were stopped by people who don't know of their weakness to the white oak.
Tessa was the first and obviously most powerful witch..Also she was part of the most stupid storyline (the cure. silas amara bullshit) ever to hit TV screens.. Having any witch do anything that powerful now would be even worse, except if it was Davina..Even Esther couldn't and she was proably the strongest since Tessa
Flag
Cried my eyes out when Klaus apologised to Rebekah.
Flag
A great episode! Sebastian Roché is a great actor to play Mikael, it was a pity they killed him off so quickly in TVD, he should have stayed for at least a few episodes or chased off.

I liked how Mikael creeped up behind Klaus and could have killed him but in his pride and vanity chose to try and torment Klaus even though it was never Klaus's fault his mother was unfaithful with Mikael.

I hope he's resurrected considering how family bound this show is and this time he won't be so easily killed.
Flag
A great episode! Sebastian Roché is a great actor to play Mikael, it was a pity they killed him off so quickly in TVD, he should have stayed for at least a few episodes or chased off.

They do seem to be treating their bad guys horribly on that show lately.

I do hope to see the Winchesters here... that would be fun... whose side I will choose? of course whatever Dean think is right; I just hope he befriend the originals somehow, in a weird parallel universe
Can you imagine a show with him, Klaus and Damon all hanging out? Of course, if one of them goes on a killing spree, he would have to take them out.

Seeing Mikael in action sort of explains Klaus; he was a monster who was raised by a monster. However, it bugged me when Cami said that if he goes after his sister, he would be like his father. Umm, didn't that already happen when he chased after Katherine for over 500 years?
Flag
Klaus's biological father was referred to TWICE in this episode. How long until we meet him?

Better be soon...and played by Mark Pellegrino.
Flag
Yes! Mark Pellegrino OR Titus Welliver should play Klaus father. Lol Although, it seems they might resurrect Mikael too.
I have a feeling once Hayley's wolfs turn human they'll lead her straight to Klaus real dad.
Flag
Is this show going to be cancelled? I'd like it to be cancelled. It had so much potential but now it all but look childish. Tired of Klaus constant temper tantrums, or Elijah's weird devotion to klaus's spoiled-ass. And to think i remember, they were advertising this series to be something similar to game of thrones: darker and more adu what a joke. Marcus, i loved him too when he was the king, the protege until they demoted him to be just the little son of Klaus. It's all about Klaus, Klaus and Klaus, so i'm out.
Flag
That is what im also saying.....im So SICK of Klaus Bullshit...So im also out..!
Flag
No, it's actually been renewed for a second season already. This one and Reign are the only new shows so far...
Flag
TVD and SPN also got renewed...and So What if they got a S2...? the Rating's are already dropping....i really hope they stop this shitty Storyline of Klaus...and they give a New Stroyline....that is NOT about Some Baby Crap or Klaus bullshit....That just how i feel..!
Flag
I said "new" shows. Emphasis on new. You are more than entitled to your opinion. But maybe you should do the same thing I did to Shield when I realized that I didn't like it....stop watching.
Flag
I hope Mikael is resurrected at some point even if it's not this season. Klaus' mother too. TVD really botched those two characters. Mikael is a great antagonist for Klaus. Much better than Marcel. I'm glad Marcel is no longer King. The actor did a poor job portraying that role. He's better suited the way he is now.
Flag
I do hope to see the Winchesters here... that would be fun... whose side I will choose? of course whatever Dean think is right; I just hope he befriend the originals somehow, in a weird parallel universe
Flag
I loved it!
The comparison between Michael hunting Klaus and Klaus hunting Rebecca is absolutely brilliant
Elija standing for his brother Klaus ... "I will always choose Klaus." broke my heart... especially at the end of the episode when they are preparing to fight...
I hope that Davina somehow will stop them now that she is back.

I'm not a fan of the TVD, but I have to watch it now, I wanna know more about the originals

I don't know how did Michael died, I suppose everyone knows this from the vampire diaries! anyhow I hope someone resurrect him
Flag
Wasn't Klaus's biological father a werewolf, and if so, he'd be long dead? I didn't think werewolves were immortal in this.
Quite a weird place for the ep to finish. surely we're not having an ep next all about the graveyard, which makes it strange indeed.
Mikael chose to off the wrong 'son'. Elijah's becoming more of sap by the minute and his self-righteous speeches are getting tiresome.
Aside from that, Sebastian Roché really set the scene for this.
Flag
Werewolves normally have longer lifespan than humans.

But don't forget: all of them are right now stuck on the Other Side.

And, if there's one thing TVD proved again and again, it's that it's not hard at all getting someone of out that place...
Flag
Going on that logic, it depends when exactly he lived and/or died. But also why didn't Klaus think of resurrecting him - cause that boy always has questions? Ah but wasn't the point that you could only return as a ghost unless your body had been preserved like some witch had been. I guess it's more likely they'll do some flashback thing in which Klaus can enter it in mind.
Flag
Werewolves aren't imortals per say, but it's not like we haven't seen these shows bend the rules.

The short answer would be "A witch did it"

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed Klaus's real father wasn't a Stefan Doppelganger.
Flag
Can't be done without his body. Only as a ghost.
Considering Stefan's always destined to be a vamp, you should be safe there!
Flag
Stefan is always destined to be a vamp? You sure about that? I assumed doppelgangers have nothing in common other than the pursuit of their "true love" crap thing.

And it can't be done without a body? I'm pretty sure Tessa just revived herself willy nilly.
But even so, it's a supernatural show with no expressed rules. They can (and will) do what they want whenever they want.
Flag
Esther said she could only come back in her Original (!) body because another witch had cast some spell to preserve it.
But yeah, all the shows do whatever they want of late. It's like the show's writers have lawyers sitting in.
Flag
I don't think there's ever been an implication either way. Most of the wolves on TVD have been killed off or turned into Hybrids
Flag
Wasn't Klaus's biological father a werewolf, and if so, he'd be long dead? - my thoughts exactly
Flag
I was hoping that throughout the rest of the season they would have to deal with the resurrected witches. First, with Papa Tunde, then with Genevieve, then we get to see what Bastiana was all about and finally, a showdown with Celeste in her true form but they rushed it out and left only Genevieve.
Flag
Yeah, we have no idea what Bastiana's powers were... So silly.

I'm pretty sure though that there's still a fourth witch. Celeste didn't come back from the dead so there's most likely a fourth witch.

It's most likely either Esther or possibly Sophie's sister.
Flag
Celeste came back. Elijah killed her remember?
Flag
She was already "alive" in Sabine's body when Devina was killed. As I understand it, only at that moment were the returned witches selected.

So we're still missing a fourth.
Flag
I loved this episode!
I quite liked the moment when Klaus said that he was happy for Marcel and Rebekah to be together because it shows that, despite how horribly he often treats her, he really does love his sister. I also thought it was quite sad when he apologised to her at the end when they thought Marcel was dead.
I always enjoy Elijah's devotion to his siblings so that was nice and I liked his deal with Monique.
I liked Cami this episode, I don't ship them but I like the friendship between her and Klaus and I'd like to see more of it.
I think we're definitely going to be seeing Klaus's real dad at some point in the future.
I laughed at Elijah finding Klaus and the werewolf in bed and staying and chatting for while instead of leaving immediately like almost any other set of siblings would do.
Flag

1) Klaus's biological father was referred to TWICE in this episode. How long until we meet him? Good question

2) Alaric's super mega white oak stake was back! Did you get nostalgic for TVD Season 3? I miss Alaric

3) Do you think Mikael himself will be resurrected somehow? doubtful but you never know

4) How much will you miss Bastiana? I won't she was crazy

Flag
This was a cool episode. Finally we could see how much of a badass Mikael turned out to be - I always thought his death was a total fluke from the Mystic Fall Alliance, so this story at least proved it. It wasn't an easy kill - they just got lucky.

I found it IMMENSELY HILARIOUS how Klaus tried so hard to portrait his father as worth than him - no doubt their body-count totals are pretty similar, but, although Mikael is thoroughly disliked by everyone, people straight-up HATE Niklaus! His own siblings barely tolerate him most of the time, when they don't stab him with cursed witchblade or actually tried to get him killed. Really, except for Cami, who, for some reasons, forgave him for the crap he pulled on her, Caroline and, obvi, Price Peterson himself, everybody else would rather see him dead already!

Cannot be more happy about the return of Davina. I can now resume my weird fascination about how disturbingly beautiful she is (seriously, she's really too cute for school... and I'm not at all OK about feeling this way! Yeah, yeah - she's actually over 18... still.)

Don't care about Bastiana's quick demise; very happy about the end of the Sabine: Body Snatcher storyline (you know a villain REALLY deserves to die after you see them ruining so many lives, yet, when they're about to be judge/punish/kill for their crimes, they starts crying out for forgiveness! lol oh man - bogus repentant villains are the worst!)

Don't care about the whole Hayley-werewolves storyline, cause wolves on this show are always pretty badly written. So Sabine's potion would break their curse... then what? Why should we care? Man, I wish the Plec Monster Company hires some of the writers from Being Human US to at least get an idea on how to write interesting werewolf stories. I mean, they somehow managed to make a creature full of potential (the vampire/werewolf hybrid) look downright worthless; so they REALLY need some help when it comes to building up a worthy monster thread.

I don't expect anything serious to come out from that Mikaelson showdown, mainly because we can all see Davina putting a end to it before it becomes actually lethal. Don't know what the aftermath of it all will lead the series towards, though - are the witches still the main enemies now? And also, now that she's dead, how come Sabine's force-field around the cemetery still actives? So many dumb questions... looking forward to not getting any answers for them.

More+
Flag
I'm pretty sure a lot more then three people love Klaus, otherwise they wouldn't have BASED THE SPINOFF ON HIM!!

Flag
Agree with a lot of what u said. Esp about getting better werewolf ideas frm the writers of Being Human...I couldn't believe it when I heard they were calling it quits at the end of the season... :( Monday's episode was fantastic..and very sad. I can't believe after everything, esp the stuff with Donna, that Sally still hasn't learned a damn thing about tampering with with life, death, and destiny.
Flag
.... SAY WHAT!?

Goddammit... That's a real bummer.

Man, you now have forced me, dazed, to give bad news that gonna make one of my best friends cried! This sucks.
Flag
It's the final season? I had no idea. That's a bumer.
Flag
I know right?! Yeah I just read it on denofgeek yest, I have to go there to read reviews for BH since no one wanted to cover it here this season. If I didn't have an 11 mo who keeps me busy I prb would have tried to do a write up myself. But yes, very much a bummer..
Flag
I guess im just disappointed that bastiana was gotten rid of so easily. She barely got to do anything. Sabine and genevieve both had episodes that featured them heavily as did papa tuned so why didn't bastiana?

also very curious to see what genevieve does now. She knows she's all alone, she has no more allies. will she flee and never be seen again or will she attempt to take the originals on alone?
Flag
Well, if Mikael, of all monsters, can be dealt with easily, Bastiana shouldn't be considered that formidable of an opponent.

I always thought getting rid so quickly of the patriarch of the Originals was a huge mistake from the Plec Freak Factory, so seeing it happen to anyone now doesn't shock me in the least.
Flag
Well frankly it's not like the originals themselves aren't too hard to deal with either. 2 of them died by Elena and the gang rather easily.
Flag
Yeah... good point!
Flag
I think she will try to convince the other witch's to take the originals on..
Flag
Hope you're feeling better Price!

This week's ep was so much better compared to last week's train wreck in terms of storytelling, but yeah I agree that the Mikael storyline could have been better. I think a major flaw in the show has to be revealing Mikael this late into the season. It's as though they expected us to understand how fearsome he was without showing us much to begin with. Considering how they flubbed this bit I hope they won't resurrect Mikael. It'd be like that Silas/doppleganger mess in TVD- making a new big bad out of old material.
I honestly hope they won't keep us waiting too long before revealing (probably in flashbacks) who Klaus' dad is.

I did feel bad seeing Celeste go the way she did. After building her up into someone who did so much planning to get her revenge and was as powerful as she was, her's was a really fast demise that seemed lousy and lazy on the writers' part. I feel like her character had so much potential to go into many other directions (vengeful returns! redemption! hot angsty sex! you get the drift).

And hell yes I'll miss creepy old Bastiana. Girlfriend was gone too soon.
More+
Flag
agreed. Its like I said, they spent so much time building celeste and the witches up and sprent so little in having them defeated it was almost an after thought. Its like they said "okay now we have a Klaus v.s his family storyline so lets ditch these witches and focus on this".
Flag
And before that it was the Klaus vs Marcel thing and before that everything to do with the uber baby - which was completely dropped out.

It seems like this season is jumping all over the place.
Flag
honestly its been like 4 seasons worth of storyline in 1..and that's not a compliment
Flag
Not nostalgic for season three but for Alaric.
Flag
I love that first picture.. .. when i saw it I was thinking I needed to do a shoot like that but without a creepy guy in the background.

REBEKAR!!!!!!!!! &-- who else hears Klaus's yelling? I &3 it so much.

Kind of a boring episode but next week looks promising.. Sometimes you have to have these in-between episodes to get things moving.
Flag
another great villain is dead.
It looks to me like the show can't seem to find a consistent villain/threat, i think they are more interested with the family drama between the Mikaelsons.
this wasn't a very good episode for me but i m still glad Davina is back
Flag
If you ignore Klaus still wanting to kill Rebekah (like let's let it go, already) the episode was actually pretty solid. My favorite part was when Klaus knocked over the bust and revealed the stake, ah a better era. I hate that Mikael being such an asshole makes me feel sorry for Klaus. And I legit lol'ed when Sabine!Celeste managed to concoct a 'real' cure from her stump in the swamp... some mud, some grass and a touch of werewolf sweat... cure for the werewolves and an excellent source of antioxidants! Also, I know Marcel loves Davina and all, but his, let's-go-back-to-our-certain-deaths-to-retrieve-a-corpse-that-may-or-may-not-wake-up plan was a little bit suspect, he sure did a complete 180 from 'I won't leave you!' to 'Ok, Cya!' in that cemetery. Methinks Rebekah is getting used... again.
Flag
And you know what I found weirdest? Why would Marcel and Rebekah take Davina with them to protect them against Klaus (by hiding them with the cloaking spell) if really there's nothing she can do outside New Orleans (NO)? If I remember correctly, the witches of NO practice Ancestral Magic and can only do magic in NO... I mean isn't that the reason they didn't flee when Marcel took over the town in the first place? Marcel was forbiding them from doing magic and killed everyone who even attempted such as a locator spell and still they remained there because they said they couldn't practice magic elsewhere. So Davina couldn't help them outside NO, she should have no magic... Really, if he wanted Davina to go with them it was certainly not to help as a witch (yep, I think Rebekah should choose better men... At least a boyfriend who doesn't dispose of her life so easily, with a petty excuse...).
Flag
Let's face it Rebekah has never really been good at choosing men, I mean all of the boyfriends we met either betrayed her or tried to kill her at some point, Marcel left her dagger-ed to please Klaus and chose him over her again pretty recently, Alexander tried to kill her and her entire family, both Damon and Stefan Salvatore tried to kill her several times they also betrayed her and dagger-ed her several times, even Matt conspired to kill her and gave her up to that vampire hunter in a blink of an eye, the only boyfriend who didn't betray her was the mayor's son and that may be just because Klaus killed him before he had a chance to. Hate to say it but when it comes to Rebekah's love life Klaus has a very good point, she really does need to make better choices
Flag
Marcel totally chose Davina over Rebekah. They could have tried to find another witch elsewhere - there seem to be a lot of them in the world. I've always thought Marcel was kind of using Rebekah and never really loved her and much as he pretends to. He pretended to be dead so he could rule the city by himself. He probably made zero attempts to find Rebekah.
Flag
I always assumed he thought they were dead or was bitter at her for leaving him. He probably didn't know that she thought he was dead. From his perspective, he probably just assumed that she got cold feet and chose Klaus over him
Flag
Davina was there best chance at survival he knew there was nothing he could do if they were all dead so he left to get davina safe..
Flag
agreed I love the girl but she needs to swear off men for awhile
Flag
1. Klaus' bio dad should be dead by now after a thousand years.
2. I actually lost track of that alaric's superstake. After Alaric died I kinda lost interest on TVD.
3. I don't think Mikael will come back. Love the character and the actor but I doubt it.
4. Who?
I really think they're gonna kill each other.
Flag
The episode was just awful. You cant spend the last couple of episodes building up these witches as some huge threat and then kill all but one of them in a matter of seconds. The end of sabine and the other witches should have been an episode to itself not an afterthought and probably not even half of the total episode itself. Truly ridiculous
Flag
While I appreciated the need to show us why bringing their father to town was such a big betrayal in Klaus' eyes, I don't think I'd like it very much if they resurrected him somehow. And while making the siblings' dynamics part of the storyline is interesting, I think I would get just as tired of it as the love triangle in TVD if that is the only thing every storyline revolves around. I'd like to see them unite and work against a big bad.
Flag
There was something super suspicious about Klaus revealing the white oak stake at this point in the season. At the start of the season Marcel seemed intent on Davina discovering a way to kill an Original. In this episode we learned that Elijah, Rebekah, and Klaus basically left Marcel to die. I really wouldn't be surprised if Marcel is somehow behind everything that has transpired. Another possibility may be that Mikael will be resurrected, because he makes a great villain. Not to mention we saw him vaguely compel Marcel during the flashbacks. The commands that Mikael gave to Marcel might have gone beyond just suffering on stage.
Flag
Only thing missing was the back ground score from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in the last few seconds. And it would have been perfect episode. And yeah three cheers fro Elizah.
Flag
1) I don't know if we will unless there's a flashback to Mikael killing him and his entire family (which we know happened when Mikael discovered Klaus was a werewolf since he told Elena this back in Season 2 when explaining about the hybrid curse).
2) Not really. I hated how they wasted so much time plotting to try to kill The Originals - they should have just been focused on other plot-lines. I also hated how there was suddenly more White Oak wood out of nowhere.
3) I hope not. I'd take Kol & Finn over Mikael.
4) Not at all. From what we saw of her she seemed like a horrible person. Although I wonder if Davina and one other girl came back so 3 of the 4 girls are back since both Bastiana & Celeste should be dead.
Flag
There isn't suddenly more white oak wood out there. Mikael always had that stake from the beginning and the stake klaus pulled out was alaric's stake that has the magical ring melted onto it so it can't be distroyed.The wood from that stake was found in season 3 of the vampire diaries.
Flag
The Originals burned down the white oak tree to begin with. I was willing to accept that Mikael did salvage some of the wood and made a stake out of it.

But that some sapling being planted 300 years later (that could also kill the Originals) and had been used to build Wickery Bridge was too much of a stretch for me. Mikael's stake should have been the only one in existence - once that was gone that should have been it. They should have figured out in Season 3 that Esther turning her children human (and killing them) was her plan to wipe out the vampire species and then that should have been the end of the kill The Originals storyline IMO.
Flag
finished the ep. Loved it. I love how even though it was told out of order it did a great job in showing us just what kind of monster Daddy Mikaelson really was.

My heart melted and Elijah's declaration that he will always chose Klaus.

My heat melted again when Klaus was apologizing to Rebekah for the apparent death of Marcel.

Loved the parellel between Klaus hunting his siblings and Mikael hunting Klaus. Very smart.

Still dont understand why Mikael is so much stronger than his children. They're all Originals and he is no more Original than them. In my mind, unless I'm forgetting something, I can't come up with any reason why he's stronger. Again, vamps get stronger over time. If Mikael and all the kiddies were created at the same time, he is no older than them. SO WHY IS HE STRONGER?! If the only reason is because he's their dad than I find that to be very lame.
Flag
I agree with eniolaalale it probably has to do with him drinking vampire blood instead of human blood. I also always thought it had something to do with Esther. When she came back she turned Alaric into a hunter to kill her kids because they were unnatural (which I'm sure you already know).... Who's to say she didn't give Mikael some advantage over his kids for the same purpose.
Flag
I can get on board with that idea. That would definitely make sense.
Flag
Their human age also counts. Papa Original is obv a little older than his kids.
Flag
I suppose we could consider adding their human age before the turn to their vamp age. In human years, yes he was older than them obviously because he was their father, but when we factor in their human age you find it really is irrelevant since them turning into vamps (along with anyone else being turned into a vampire) is contingent upon them first dying as humans and awaking as immortals. Because as humans they had to die first in order to turn, the proverbial "clock" stopped as soon as they died. Thus their human age was no longer a factor seeing as they were dead and their aging clock has been reset. So the only age that matters is their vamp age and again, since they were all turned into vampires on the exact same night, vamp wise he is in fact NOT older than them.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Mikael is an Original who feeds on vampires.The Vampire Blood he drinks gives him an edge over the Human Blood Klaus,Elijah and Rebecca drink
Flag
I can agree with that.
Flag
Mikal is the original vampire and also the first vampire hunter! He turned himself into a vampire hunter after he discovered that klaus was not his son. Mikal was a very proud man and after he became a vampire that quality gets magnified very strongly and knowing that his wife slept with a werewolf dented his pride and he turned vengeful. He has that white oak dagger( i think he created it) and that dagger is the only weapon against the vampires. That's why they are afriad of him. Also in the flashbacks klaus was always treated badly by mikal and klaus was always afraid of him. Also he is older than klaus i think the older the vampire the stronger they are. I hope this helps.
Flag
Thanks for your response but unfortunately that did not help as I'm not sure you understood my question or even read my question at all. My question was this only "Why is he stronger?" With that being said I have a few issues that, to me, don't make sense:

1. Mikael was not "THE" original vampire. He was "A" original vampire, meaning he was ONE of multiple. They are all Originals. Thats why the show is called The Originals. All of them were turned into vamps on the exact same night by Esther's spell. Thus, Mikael was no more original than his children and they are no less original than he was. It appears the writers have chosen to make him physically stronger than them simply because he was their father, which makes no sense. Just because he was their father does not make him more original, again since they were all turned on the same night.

2. I didn't ask when or why he turned himself into a vampire hunter, I am aware of that especially since his reason for doing so was clearly explained and demonstrated in tonight's episode. Besides, him becoming a vamp hunter was nothing more than him making a choice to hunt vamps, there was nothing supernatural about him choosing to hunt vamps, so there is no supernatural reason for him to be stronger. Thus, Mikael being the first vampire hunter doesn't matter. They were all turned into the same thing on the same night. Just because he chose to hunt vampires doesn't make him physically stronger than vampires.

3. I didn't ask about Mikael's personality traits and why he was a jerk, as his personality traits are were explained in TVD when the originals first showed up. And again in the episode from TO when Klaus showed Cami his memory of his father tying him up and trying to get Elijah to help him. His personality traits were demonstrated again in tonight's episode. That was never my question. I asked why is he physically stronger than them, not why he was a jerk/monster.

4. I didn't ask why Elijah , Rebekah, and Klaus were afraid of him. The reason for being afraid of Mikael was referenced many times in TVD, in last weeks episode, and again in tonight's episode. Again, I asked why he was physically stronger than them, not why they were afraid of him.

5. I am aware he had the white oak dagger as it was shown multiple times in this episode. I didn't ask what his weapons were, I asked why he was physically stronger.

6. you said "he is older than klaus i think the older the vampire the stronger they are." I am aware of that, thats why I clearly said "vamps get stronger over time." But still, that does not explain why he was physically stronger than them . I suppose we could consider adding their human age before the turn to their vamp age. In human years, yes he was older than them obviously because he was their father, but even then their human age is irrelevant since them turning into vamps (along with anyone else being turned into a vampire) is contingent upon them first dying as humans and awaking as immortals. They are not human anymore thus their human age is irrelevant. So the only age that matters is their vamp age and again, since they were all turned into vampires on the exact same night, vamp wise he is in fact NOT older than them. So there is no reason for him to be stronger than them.

I see that on a nother post someone noted that it could be because he drinks vamp blood instead of human blood, which conceivably would make him stronger. That is viable possible explanation. Your explanation is not helpful or viable as none of it has anything to do with my original question.
More +
Flag
Didn't Esther make him into the super vampire hunter, a vampire that kills and feeds on vampires? If my memory is right, it would mean Esther made him stronger through magic.
Flag
I cant really remember if she used magic to make him a super vampire hunter, if she did than that would make sense.
Flag
I think Esther made him stronger after it was discovered that klaus was half werewolf.

I remember she said something in TVD season 3 about making Alaric in to a true hunter like she did to her husband Mikael. And Alaric was physically stronger than Klaus and his siblings.
Flag
I can get on board with that explanation.
Flag
Gettin' a psychotic crazy Helena vibe from Cami. Why the hell hasn't this bitch skipped town and told all the massmurderers who live there is beyond me.
Flag
Papa Michael is the kind of villain that the Vampire Diaries need. He was menacing, psychopathic, and vile. Maybe there is something about the upper class English accent that gives gravitas to badassery.

Anyone else notice that the Originals look whiter than the other Caucasians on the show?
Flag
Yep! He never really became a threat in TVD b/c they killed him way too soon!
Flag
Could be cos they're dead, or could be cos they're English. :)
Flag
I always make fun of my English friends because they are so pale. I guess tanning is not a thing in England.
Flag
The sun is not a thing in England.
Flag
im currently watching tonight ep and i just have a quick question. Why is Michael stronger than Elijah and Rebekah? Vampires are stronger with age but he was turned at the same time as them so he is not any older than they are, so if he's no older than them then why is he stronger? Just cuz he's daddy? I find that to be really dumb.
Flag
Mikael isn't stronger than the others, although he was a vampire hunter so he trained himself to kill vampires so that gives him an edge. Plus he had what the originals thought was the only weapon that could kill an original which made him extremely dangerous. Another thing is that he was know to have terrible rage which he used to scare all his children and to destroy things when he was mad.
Flag
I only say he's stronger than them because of yhe way he was throwing all three of them around like rag dolls. If you go back to the fight scenes he had with each of them he threw them off and beat them with ease. I dont understand why it appeared he was stronger than them. None of them was able to land a single blow on him.
Flag
This^. Someone please answer...
Flag
Maybe because he feeds on vampires? When Jesse was infected with the Ripper virus on TVD he was stronger than Damon even though he had just been turned. Then it seemed liked Damon became stronger as well - Enzo couldn't fight him off when Damon attacked him in the most recent episode.
Flag
Exceptional Writing. Credit where credit is due..Making Klaus sympathetic all the time must be difficult but i thought it would be impossible after last week.. i was wrong. Mikael is a real POS.

When did Klaus obtain the invincible stake? Didn't Alaric have it last on TVD while Klaus was inhabiting Tyler;s body. Ah well fuck it, the fact that he had it hidden away on stand by inside an antique statue tells you everything you need to know about Klaus. Paranoid Insane Genius

Loool at Celeste begging for her life in French, then Elijah apologising in French.

Flag
Elena gave the stake to Rebekah on the Silas island as a peace offering. Rebekah then gave it to Elijah when she decided she wanted to take the cure (she would have been dead of old age by now and it wouldn't have mattered). Elijah gave it to Klaus in 4x19 because Klaus wanted to just give the cure to Silas because he seemed to think that if Klaus was in possession of the only thing that could kill him it would take away his fear.
Flag
The Cure was a truly awful storyline on TVD. It almost makes season 5 seem brilliant in comparison.
Flag
I think this episode answered any questions of why Klaus acted so upset last episode. Mikael was a truly vile person. Listening to him talk to Klaus (and about Klaus to Elijah) was SO tough to here. And Klaus was 900 years old at that point! Imagine him having to hear it as a kid (which I think is happening next week, oh my heart)
Then on top of that, Klaus was so happy in NOLA, had himself a cute little werewolf girlfriend, had apologized to Rebekah for being so harsh about Marcel...and then apologized later and blamed himself for Mikael being there. How about NOPE. Still so sad over it.
And freaking Marcel. Pretending like he'd died and then taking over the city in exactly the way Mikael wanted him to. he erased Klaus from the city, where he ended up only being a bedtime story witches told. Took the M and made it for Marcel and I sort of want to throat punch him right now.
But anyway, FANTASTIC episode. Only 6 more days to wait for the next one ;)
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members