A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

The Originals S01E14: "Long Way Back from Hell"

After two weeks of spandex-clad jocks running around on ice and shouting at each other in foreign languages, it's nice to be able to return to what REALLY matters in life: Undead immortals running around New Orleans shouting at each other in high English. The Originals' taking a few weeks off was a prime example of absence making the heart grow fonder, because this week's episode was nowhere near as good as the three insta-classics that preceded it yet I did NOT care. I still had a heart bursting with love for these characters and their terrible problems and I just felt so happy to be watching it again. You know? Needed it.

"Long Way Back From Hell" was just as well-acted, well-filmed, and suspenseful as we've come to expect of the series at this stage, but the fatal flaw was that it was predicated on one of The Originals' least compelling plot motivations yet: the idea that Rebekah summoning Mikael to town a hundred years prior was an unforgivable crime punishable by death. Nope! Sorry, did not buy that. I actually appreciated Genevieve's plan to turn the Mikaelsons against each other and I know that she needed to shine a spotlight on the skeletons in their respective closets in order to do it, but after one thousand years of dicking each other over I really didn't think Klaus would've batted a beautiful blonde eyelash at the revelation that his sister had half-heartedly plotted against him a hundred years prior. If anything I think he would have kinda respected her for it and then taken solace in the comfort that they were different people now and also Mikael Mikaelson was never that big of a threat to him. Sure, this episode wanted us to believe that his entrance into Old Time New Orleans nearly caused the city to burn down, but those of us who watched TVD recall Mikael's uselessness during Season 3 and his inglorious demise burning to death on Klaus' front steps like a straight-up chump. Not very intimidating! In this case Klaus should've chuckled in Genevieve's face: "So?"

Another unbelievable thing about this concept was that Klaus is just way too smart to allow a witch to manipulate him this way. Yes, he's very susceptible to his own emotions but he should've realized pretty quickly what Genevieve's game was and dealt with the Rebekah stuff later. So while it was certainly scary and unpleasant to see Klaus stalking Rebekah around a decrepit sanatorium with a witch blade, the basic concept behind it never rang true and in fact felt distractingly out of character. Particularly over the past few episodes these characters' motivations have become so strong and crystal clear that this regression into reverse-engineered plotting is kind of a bummer. It's like the writers decided Klaus needed to be so mad at Rebekah but never really figured out a good reason. Thus concludes my complaints about this episode because SO MUCH of the rest of it was VERY GOOD.

Conceptually the best part of "Long Way Back From Hell" was the way it yet again made flashbacks compelling in the present tense. After Rebekah woke up in an abandoned sanatorium sick with werewolf bites her surroundings flashed her back to the time she pretended to be a turn-of-the-century nurse during a terrible flu epidemic so that she could befriend Genevieve and manipulate her into summoning her vampire vampire-hunter father to come and neutralize Klaus. But in the present day, the newly undead and revenge-minded Genevieve linked a similarly imprisoned Klaus' mind with Rebekah's so that he'd see how grave her transgressions had been so long ago. The linking of memories was honestly very clever! Even better was when Genevieve attempted to force Rebekah to have flashbacks by playing a creepy phonograph and using other kinds of sensory triggers. I mean, of course that's not how memory works, it isn't just some kind of linear movie strip, but for the purposes of this episode it was refreshingly suspenseful to see these flashbacks unfold knowing that Rebekah would be in trouble when it got to the juicy parts. Rebekah's memories had real consequences and it's a credit to the writers for coming up with that conceit.

An equally compelling B-story had Elijah and Marcel teaming up like a vampire Law & Order to decode a witch's riddle that had been tattooed onto his skin by Sophie Deveraux's mouthy niece. (How great was Elijah's intrusion into Sophie's funeral? So rude and great!) Which meant that yes, ladies, Elijah was half-naked in this episode. Klaus too! This was a very good episode when it came to half-naked, one thousand year old vampires in my opinion. Anyway, after cruising around town questioning city leaders and investigating witch suicides, Elijah and Marcel discovered the identity of one of Celeste's most important snatched bodies (another nurse from the influenza days) and realized that the two kidnapped Mikaelsons were probably at the sanatorium. Which, okay, I said I was done criticizing the episode, but why did Sophie's niece even give Elijah a riddle to figure out in the first place? Did the witches WANT him to find his siblings? I don't really understand why that all happened. Anyway, but yeah, Elijah arrived just in time to save Rebekah from being stabbed with a witchblade by Klaus. But the shocking twist was Elijah forced the blade back into Klaus' body! So yeah, if you ask me, that's a pretty bad violation of sibling trust and a thousand times worse than simply summoning a dickish dad back to town. But that's just another reminder that the Mikaelsons have been trapped in a cycle of dickery for a thousand years now and Rebekah's supposed crimes were not all that bad or surprising when weighed against everything they'd all done to each other in general. 

In a much tinier plotline but one that will probably prove more important later, Hayley took matters into her own hands with regard to that reverse-werewolf curse against her people. At some point it dawned on her that the witch who'd created the curse in the first place had most likely been possessed by Celeste at the time, so, duh, Celeste could probably break it! Which led to one of the most crowd-pleasing moments of the episode: Hayley clobbered Celested with A SHOVEL. That's our girl! Hayley is amazing.

Yeah, no, sorry to bum everybody out with a lukewarm review, but keep in mind that I really and truly loved the previous three episodes. I just felt like I didn't really quite get the central premise of this episode. But it was still full of lovely, wonderful moments, and again, Claire Holt is pulling some MVP-level performances still. (That speech to Marcel about the life she'd envisioned for them both was particularly powerful.) Also, you know, half-naked Mikaelsons. Hard to argue with that! I'm not sure how much I love seeing Klaus and Rebekah at odds like this, but I'm definitely curious to see where this goes. So far this run of witch-of-the-week episodes has set the benchmark pretty high for the series and I'm straight-up excited about where the next eight episodes will take us! Hold me.

QUESTIONS

... Did summoning Mikael really seem like the unforgivable crime this episode wanted us to believe it was?

... Can witches die of the flu?

... Should the witches curse Elijah with tattoo riddles more often?

... What do you think Davina's up to on The Other Side?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

255 Comments
Comments (255)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well obviously summoning Mikael wasn't really so bad considering all the bad things all of the originals have done. But it's Klaus and to Klaus his father is an extremely sore spot. He hasn't been very objective, fair and forgiving in other occasions either.

Apparently Genevieve and Celeste were kinda weak ass back then. Or did they just die because they couldn't get any magic mushrooms or snails or something?

Tattoo riddle was awesome. I'll always welcome Elijah without a shirt. I really like his badass moves too, way past caring about all the collateral damage, it's just plain cool when he throws people around.

Davina has probably been teasing Bonnie with tales of what cool witches are really like.
Flag
It is hilarious seeing Klaus take the moral high ground as if he is a beacon for good, and it is testament to Joseph Morgan that he can display such great acting which actually makes viewers sympathetic and take his side even when you know he is so wrong . Klaus is a lonely C~~t plain and simple with the occasional moments of heart. We all know what to expect from his character...BUT

I see alot of people missing the point. Its not that Rebeckah betrayed him, its the how and the who..Rebeckah and Marcel already tryed to betray Klaus just a few episodes ago and he did nothing to either of them.

The point is she betrayed him to Mikael.
Mikael can kill Klaus and the rest of the siblings. Despite the numerous shitty things Klaus has done and continues to do to them especially Rebeckah he has never actually tried to permanently kill one of them.
.But more importantly Klaus is Klaus BECAUSE of Mikael. He is completely and utterly defined by what Mikael and some part Esther did to him.

Look how badly Damon and Stefan hated Katherine for doing what she did.. Klaus was terrorised from when he was a human child for being a bastard, Mikael killed his actual father and (most) of his werewolf family then forced them all to be vampires only to end up hunting them, specifically klaus for a 1000 years..Also Mikael is Rebeckahs actual father which makes it worse, as her calling Mikael there in Klaus;s eyes means she agrees with mikaels hate of klaus. Klaus also hates himself and what he is, he is mikaels creation in every aspect of his being.

Also Klaus knows full well Genevieve is manipulating him, he said as much early in the episode, but after seeing the truth Rebeckah is the target at this moment, all his anger is at her, this does not mean he will not kill Genevieve in the future, or even find a use for her.

Things shift quickly on this show, and i can see Klaus wiping out all of marcels vamps and bringing in his own family of werewolves.
More+
Flag
There's also the fact that, prior to Mystic Falls, the siblings weren't completely sure if their father was just after Klaus, or if he was going to kill them all. The idea of Rebekah summoning Michael is stupid because she could have been welcoming her own death sentence. It wasn't until Mystic Falls that they learned WHY Mikael was truly hunting Klaus, and that he didn't want them, so all the siblings made a habit of staying away from him.
Flag
It all comes down to the fact that her actions led to the only person who could kill him, finding him. As bad as the siblings have been to each other they have never tried to permanently kill each other..I think this is why Kol and Finns death wern't as big a deal as they should have been. Kol tried to kill Rebeckah and Finn wanted them all dead.
Flag
1) Klaus is pretty terrified of his father. So, I could see how it would be unforgivable to him that Rebekkah would summon him. Still, I'm probably not the only one to say that I was disappointed with how he acted when he was released. I mean, he hates being manipulated and Genevieve so did that to him, regardless of what she'd shown him. And Mikael is gone, so I'd hoped he'd see it as a betrayal in the past and be able to move on with life. But then again, moving on and Klaus are two concepts that just don't go together.
2) They're human, too, so guess they can.
3) Yes, definitely! lol. Maybe Klaus, too. And Marcel for good measure. :)
4) Hopefully she's trying to figure out how to come back and kick Celeste's butt for basically bringing about her death.
Flag
I agree with the "Klaus is too smart for this shit" part. I sort of expected him to kill Genevieve (and then still go after Rebekah), and was sort of disappointed when he didn't give her crap for manipulating him.
But as far as the Mikael storyline is concerned, I did get it. Obviously the TVD writers failed in making him appropriately threatening, but if you ignore his appearance in Season 3 and just focus on the psychological aspect, it's pretty easy to understand where they were all coming from. Sure, it didn't register with us mere viewers the way it should have, but Mikael was supposed to be a terrifying dude! While he might not even have been that much physically superior (if at all), the siblings were all already programmed with fear for him: don't forget, they all had to grow up with him as a controlling and abusive father. He was a constant threat. Maybe Mikael could have succeeded in killing them and maybe not, but the important thing is, they all thought he could. He hunted them all for centuries, making them run every time they thought they'd found safety, and they were terrified. Imagine, when you're pretty much an all-powerful immortal being, having that one person who has it out for you and who has a chance of actually beating you be your father.
Despite all their betrayals and disagreements, the Mikaelson siblings were always united by their fear and hatred for their father. By using him to betray Klaus, she sort of crossed the one remaining line they had among them. Klaus might be a dick, but I get where he's coming from.

On that note, to me it's the ultimate proof of greatness when The Originals manages to make me feel sorry for Klaus (which surprisingly isn't as rare an occasion as I would have initially thought). The best examples to date: Marcel's minions chaining him and viciously kicking his ass (before he slaughtered them all) and his face in this episode when he found out about Rebekah.
More+
Flag
I see it kinda like Price, but more so. This episode was poor. Especially compared to the tension build up of the last three.

It fell in to the trap of making everyone a bit stupid, doing things for no good reason. It just needed one slightly smart one..... but nope.

EVERYTHING we learned about Klaus tells us he was far too street smart to take the bait. And the slightly odd drama moment of Elijah stabbing Klaus with the dark magic blade (furthering the 'blindly taking the bait' premise).

If they wanted an Elijah v Klaus run, they needed to find a much smarted way of doing it. Overall, it felt like a poorly written fan-fiction story.
Flag
... Did summoning Mikael really seem like the unforgivable crime this episode wanted us to believe it was?
Uuuummm YES? Klaus was just so completely afraid of him! And Mikael's coming meant for them to lose the only place that evr felt like home, so Rebekah's plotting to find him felt on another level of betrayal!

... Can witches die of the flu?
Apparently

... Should the witches curse Elijah with tattoo riddles more often?
I thought he was more buffed :) And anyway, yes, the witches wanted Elijah to find them to pin him against Klaus for what he was doing to Rebekah

... What do you think Davina's up to on The Other Side?
Being brainwashed!

Also, Hailey's amazing!
Flag
Also, Phoebe Tonkin got to be way more bad ass, hilarious, and lovable on The Secret Circle. I think she is so, so misused/underused on this show. Tragic if you ask me. YOU HAVE A GEM ORIGINALS...LET HER SHINE.
Flag
Am I the only one that got some serious "Momento" vibes from Elijah's temporary shirtless tattoo situation? MORE PLEASE!

Also, for some reason, I can never get in to these Original/TVD episodes that consist mostly of flashbacks. As pretty as they are (MINUS THE USUALLY AWFUL WIGS), it's just not my thing. I'd prefer short snippets of visual information and then back to real time. But I guess flashbacks are better than exposition.

Overall, outside of the acting from Joseph Morgan and Claire Holt, this episode was not my favorite.

COOL CREEPY OLD HOSPITAL THOUGH. A+ LOCATION SCOUT.
Flag
See? THIS IS THE PRICE WE WANT!
The one that can love a show for its great quality but still point out its flaws when they occur.

I prefer this far better than the fan boy ranting "lalalalala I can't hear you this show is perfect" that has been going around with a few other shows here...

Anyway, yeah, this episode was incredibly silly. The witches wanted to take over New Orleans, but they already succeeded. 2 of the originals are held captive. They can easily overpower the third. Their plan to capture the originals and then send them on each other was as dumb as releasing the most powerful witch we saw on this show (papa tunde) who almost took out all 3 originals and then... Just killed himself?

Idiotic.

Also, the preimse again, makes no sense. In the earlier flashbacks to the 20s when Michael showed up, Rebekah was having a romance with Stefan. How does Marcel fit into all of this?

And Genevive just took down the disease and was left there?!?
She used no powers what so ever? Didn't tell anyone? heck she could have just informed Klaus on what was going on. Why didn't Rebekah just snap her neck?

And why was she pretending to be a nurse in the first place?!?
Wasn't their family an aristocrat in the town?
More+
Flag
Ugh there's also the fact that Rebekah never would have summoned Mikael in the first place. Prior to Mystic Falls, the Originals were under the impression that Mikael was willing to kill all of them, not just Klaus. It wasn't until they learned the truth about their mother's death did they realize it wasn't about them at all. This show annoys me with it's constant retconning.

And yes, the Originals were very well known so who did Rebekah think she was fooling?
Flag
Klaus was a bit naive this episode...or it seemed like that.
Come on...over all the years and everything he has done to his family...he gets pissed at Reb, for summoning their Oh so feared Michael....
But loved the way how they kept going back and forth...
Most memorable moment in the series...when Elijah took his shirt off. I wouldn't mind to investige it closer to see if they missed a name or so ...lol...
Love where the story line in this episode was going. Try to break the bond between the siblings....
Reb was awesome, in the basement. She didn't run anymore. she was ready. Now she is on the run with Marcel...what does this mean? They are no more in the series????
What is going to happen between Klaus en Elijah....
loving it...
Flag
WAIT ONE HOT MINUTE! I just remembered! Rebecca assisted the Salvatore Bro's in luring Klaus back to Mystic Falls AFTER she knew Mikael was there to kill Klaus! She has basically done this twice! Rebekah is already doomed because of the New Orleans/Mikael revelation, but she'd be double doomed if Klaus knew about the time she helped with the Mystic Falls Mikael attack!
Flag
Yes, but Klaus knows about her helping them with Mikael in Mystic Falls. He knows because Rebekah lied to him and told him Mikael was dead when he wasn't. That's why he decided to leave her daggered when he retrieved her from the Salvatores. He wasn't incredibly pissed that time because he knew that SHE KNEW the truth about him killing their mother. He kept her daggered to avoid more conflict.

The problem is that prior to learning the truth in Mystic Falls, none of the siblings thought they were safe from Mikael. Rebekah NEVER would have called him forth because they believed Mikael was after all of them, not just Klaus. The idea that she would willingly welcome her own death like that is stupid. If anything, I see her using the witches to somehow fool Klaus, or dessicate him, not this.
Flag
Yeah, this show has serious holes in its continuity.
When Elijah was first introduced, he thought that Klaus killed everyone in his family which makes no sense in their relationship since then.

Also During the 20s when Michael came to new orleans, Rebekah was doing shirtless hugs with Stefan. How does Marcel fit?
Flag
Mikael showed up in NO in 1919. Shirtless hugs with Stefan didn't happen till Chicago, 1922.
Flag
What a episode it came back with a bang. I loved every element of this episode and when Elijah took his shirt off to see the tattoos I loved Haley's reaction priceless. Poor klaus why Elijah why that just broke my heart, I don't know how there going to fix this.
Flag
Up front I'll be honest and tell you I've only read the first part of your review. Why, you may ask. Price, the first few paragraphs left me feeling as if you didn't know Klaus , Mikael, or the Original family at. all.

Mikael's one purpose in life was to destroy Klaus. He hated him. As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow that sorry excuse for a father would have plunged the white oak stake through Klaus's heart and went for a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's when it was over. That Rebekah summoned Mikael, knowing this would be his intent is unforgivable, at least in Mikaelson terms with forgiveness coming in a century or so.

No doubt Klaus has done awful, awful things to his siblings through the years including 'killing' them temporarily and demanding all their attention by killing those they loved. They too were awful to him. Let's not forget Elijah holding Klaus down to allow the curse to be put upon him, Rebekah stealing Mikael's knife and letting Klaus take the blame, considering him only their half brother, always believing anyone before giving him the benefit of the doubt. But never did he plot to kill one of them permanently. Yet, this is precisely what Rebekah did, as well as the closest thing to a son he will ever have, Marcel. They were willing to let him die, humiliated in death by the man who abused him as a child. Great for Rebekah that she changed her mind afterwards, but I seriously doubt it had much to do with Klaus and everything to do with Elijah.

So, no, Klaus was not out of character in wanting to hurt his sister (notice even then he wasn't going to kill her). This character's evil ways blind people to the fact that he didn't get there by himself and that his family is unique in that they alone (and Caroline) can cause him emotional and physical pain. It's as if his evilness gives those who say they love him a free pass to stomp all over him whenever it strikes their fancy. Even at the end of the episode Elijah could have simply broke Klaus's neck, allowing Rebekah and Marcel the opportunity to run. Instead, noble Elijah chose the most painful way. His siblings learned much from their father when dealing with Klaus.
More+
Flag
Either way, my issue with this WHOLE concept is that Rebekah calling Mikael is a plot hole. Prior to the happenings in Mystic Falls, the siblings were under the impression that Mikael was not just after Klaus, but willing to kill them as well. It was only after Rebekah spoke to Mikael that she learned the truth. It wasn't about Mikael being willing to kill his children for being monsters, focusing on his hatred of Klaus in particular, it was about Mikael seeking revenge on Klaus for killing his wife, their mother. Since the siblings did not know this back in the early 1900's I highly doubt Rebekah would risk Mikael's wrath on HERSELF just to chase Klaus away.
Flag
But never did he plot to kill one of them permanently.
Only because he's too afraid of being alone, certainly not becase he's got amily values...
Flag
I disagree. Klaus may have a twisted sense of family values but he's only ever wanted to be accepted by his siblings and parents. I'm in no way implying that he doesn't need a century's worth of therapy, but it is so obvious that he wants acceptance from his family more than anything. It's this reason that he lashes out like a petulant child when one of them disappoints him.

I think, of the three that made the 'always and forever' promise he is the one who took it the most literally and to heart. I agree he doesn't want to be alone, but he wants his family. Consider him standing in his mansion, season three, after Mikael had been killed, weeping that he'd built the house so they could all be together. Certainly his technique sucks, but in a thousand years of disappointment, his siblings are the only creatures that he hasn't killed. Hell, he chose to cart Finn around for 900 years rather than kill him or drop his coffin in the ocean.

So, yes, I agree he doesn't want to be alone, but that loneliness is completely tied into family. Are his expectations warped? Yes. Has he ever killed one of them permanently? No, and even in the face of great betrayal he chose not to do that.
More +
Flag
I think we agree on the main point. Still, when I say that he's got no values, I meant that IMO he didn't kill his siblings not because he respects them or their lives, but only for himself.
Flag
But never did he plot to kill one of them permanently.
Really? When Elijah came to town in season 2, he clearly thought that Klaus had done just that.
Flag
True. How does that have anything to do with him plotting to kill them permanently? He hadn't. And he told Elijah he'd done so to torment his brother as punishment as only Klaus can.
Flag
Elijah was under the delusion that Klaus had everyone else daggered (which he did) and dropped all the coffins with their daggered family members at the bottom of the ocean (which he had not done). As soon as Elijah heard that their bodies were safe he suddenly lost interest in getting revenge on Klaus.
Flag
Not exactly. Elijah thought they were dead. Why would having them dropped in the bottom of the ocean kill them?
Stefan seemed to have survived that just fine.

It was when Klaus told Elijah that he kept the coffins instead of killing them that he changed his mind.
Flag
Elijah thought they were dead. This is was he said to Stefan when they were discussing Elijah's revenge. Elijah knew they weren't really dead, but he put it in terms that Stefan could understand. Remember, at this point in time, Elijah wasn't exactly forthcoming on family details.
Flag
No, it was stated He thought Klaus had dropped them into the middle of the ocean somewhere, in effect killing them b/c there would be no way to find them and undagger them. So, no, they wouldn't technically be dead, but they'd be gone to Elijah forever, so in effect the same thing.
Flag
HA! Vampire Law and Order! Price you never let me down!
Flag
yeesh. the lack of klaus sympathy re: Mikael kinda makes my own real-life neuroses look extra wussy. remind me not to come here when the father i grew up with who verbally and physically abused me throughout my entire life, then basically slaughtered my ENTIRE real birth daddy's clan, then proceeded to try to abuse me through my entire afterlife with the only weapon on earth that could kill me, and then i find out that the only family member who has been by my side throughout (don't get me wrong - Beks had good reason, but Mikael? No.) actually tattled on my whereabouts to my sadistic, homicidal, life and afterlife tormenter who i finally thought i'd outrun? i mean, he only stopped trying to kill me like 2-3 years ago. yeah, i'd still be stinging from that...

of course, on the other hand, it's always been gross and creepy how Klaus hates anyone Beks get with. like Jaime and Cersei level yuks. and yeah, it would be nice if Klaus showed some personal development, but that's the kind of maturity we have elijah for, and Klaus has never nor has new reasons to show such maturit yet so it's no surprise to me that he's still the stunted sexy baby bastard that he's always been. he needs the power of about a thousand years of hugs before his inner hulk settles down. but the pseudo-incestual sibling rivalry thing. eww. yuk. ech. blech, always and forever.
More+
Flag
I agree people forget just how long Michael tormented klaus for, and just expect him to get over it really he physically and mentally/emotionally abused him for 1000 years give or take
Flag
After all the crap that Klaus has put his siblings through I laugh every time he seems surprised! Like really dude? What did you expect and then he cries and gets angry...the reactions of the characters to certain situations is why I stopped watching The Vampire Diaries because its SO unrealistic! Get it together Originals writers! I understand we need drama and tension but let's not be so sloppy!
Flag
I totally agree... I still don't understand why Rebekah's stayed in NO...
Flag
And then there is that! Like why haven't you left before! I know family is important but even then you don't stick around when one of them is a total douchebag! Like common sense! Klaus and Elijah aint yo daddy! You are a grown woman! make your own decisions...
but then klaus always kills everyone Rebekah loves...which brings me back to my original point! ugh so annoying!
Flag
Yeah I mean I understand Elijah, because he's never gonna give up on Klaus, but Rebekah wanted a normal life in Mystic Falls, had a thing going on with Matt, and for once having Klaus out of tht way maybe her loved one wasn't going to be in fatal danger!
Flag
Which is why TO makes no sense to me.
Flag
I miss Devina! Come back soon, girl. The two weeks off definitely worked in favor here. I really missed it, and you're right, this episode would have been a little let downy after the last. Instead, it was just awesome to have the gang back (except DEVINA, again, DAMN) and yes also shirtless. WOOT.

I feel like the episode got written and maybe rewritten. Like, greater consequence was intended for the end, hence the summoning Elijah bit. I too expected there to be a point to him arriving as well, but instead it became an Austin powers-like ridiculously long death scene that allowed for escape.

But my biggest gripe is that Klaus let the witch mess with him. Everything we've seen of him, we know only klaus is allowed to mess with his family. The moment was right there - the witch lets him go, hands him the blade and WHAT? He just glares at her menacingly? No, that was supposed to play like this: Klaus says "that's for the tip, Red, now rot on the other side and stay out of my biz!" and rips her head off. Because besides the above rules about family, Klaus is all about misdirected rage. He ALWAYS kills the messenger. Genevieve did, ultimately, bring Mikael to town, and she did kidnap Becks. END HER, you meatball.
More+
Flag
I didn't watch this episode, but those sounds like huge issues to me....smh
Flag
Frankly its not as dumb as the witch mentioning Klaus is weaken by werewolf venom. He is a werewolf himself.
Flag
That's utterly ridiculous! The only thing dumber than that is the baby being a werewolf/witch/vampire hybrid. The werewolf side is responsible for it's conception and yet it's a vampire, okay fine. How is it a hybrid though when werewolves only trigger the curse by killing someone? Hmm, and now it's a witch too even though vampires can't possibly have witch powers? I love how TO has these random throw away lines that are in actuality crazy complicate and sound impossible,and yet they don't bother explaining it or trying to make sense of it.
Flag
I agree with you! I was expecting Klaus to kill Genevieve or hurt her when he was free, with him saying something along the lines of: "That's what small sisters do" o whatev.

I appreciated the mention of Mikael's knife... I hope we will see in flashbacks how was life in the Mikaelson household when they were all humans. It was curious too that Rebekah mentioned Kol and it wasn't just a passing comment, she talked about his "bad boy charisma" and I imagine by then he was in the coffin. So, should we expect an introduction of Kol by flashbacks? (Because him coming back to life would be too good to be real but at the same time, I don't loose hope. He is the "funny" brother so he will bring some comic relief. I can imagine, once the plot about Rebekah, Klaus and Elijah holding grudges gets repetitive, they will need another Mikaelson brother to stir up trouble)
Flag
I'm glad they finally mentioned him as they seem to completely forget about him and Fin.

But considering the guy playing Kol is officially off to the (horible idea) Supernatural spin off show, I doubt they'll bring him back.
Flag
I just learn about that yesterday! Well, Julie Plec, you've lost your chance. Yeah, I don't like how the synopsis of that spin off sounds, it is very very un-Supernatural in philosophy. I am happy for the actor but at the same time I always thought Kol would had been a great addition to the originals. I am still expecting him appearing in some flashbacks, though (they don't take a lot time to shoot). But my hope of him becoming a regular (even when it was always pretty much impossible) are now non-existent. :(
Flag
at this point, i think julie plec will keep kol dead simply for the fact that she suffered epic twitter harassment from his fans over his death. they got kinda ugly and personal. I love the guy too but geez, folks need to chill.
Flag
I know! I feel like the only reason Kol won't come back is because Plec wants to get back at those horrible fans. But at the same time, there are weird things around Kol and the series: First, as I said, if Rebekah mentioned him it is because he will be back in some way (flashback, probably), Second, the actor who plays Kol went to a panel of The Originals. It doesn't make sense! Yeah, he is an original, but he is not regular or secondary, why was he in the panel? I know most fans came from the TVD fandom but I guess there has to be someone who watches TO and haven't watched TVD... and this person will be like: Wait, Who is this?

I am afraid that if he comes back, Plec will destroy his character (not making him as ambiguous as his brothers and sister) or kill him instantly, AGAIN :(

I am still furious at Elijah for not being mad at Elena and Jeremy for his brother's death. Where was the thing about family first? ¬¬
Flag
OK, Brainwave! You know how Hayley has never been a threat to Cammi because Hayley and Klaus don't give a crap about each other and only care about the baby? Well what if Genevieve became Cammi's rival for Klaus's affections? So far we have seen Cammi make Klaus jealous by flirting with Marcel, but I would like to see Klaus make Cammi jealous by hooking up with Genevieve!
Flag
Speaking of which, where is Cami? Isn't her uncle dying? Why wasn't Cami around begging someone to help them?
Flag
the only thing i liked about this episode was Camille's absence. ok ok and the shirtless Mikaelsons...except Klaus's tatoo...that was just awfull...
Flag
I had my issues with this episode as well. I thought that Klaus should have killed the witch, she's a threat. he should have seen that Rebecca chose family over love in the end. Why did the werewolf venom affect him, when he's half werewolf? That was stupid. Having the siblings fighting every episode is too much. There needs to be time in between where the siblings show love for each other and can get along. I also felt they need to advance Klaus's ruthlessness and not have it be so basic. The witches plan was far too simplistic to use Klaus' "Basic" instinct to get pissed at betrayal to fuel this episode. Klaus should have ripped into the witches throat and drank deep and then deal with Rebecca and Marcel on another level.
Flag
you're forgetting he's also half vampire
Flag
It doesn't matter whether he's half or not. Werewolves are not affected by their own venom and Klaus is literally the walking cure. He should be immune. It makes no sense that the cure can poison himself.
Flag
No, he isn't half-wolf half-vampire
He is both a vampire and a wolf.

He doesn't have half the abilities of one or the other.

It's stupid that is vulnerable to his own blood and makes no sense.
Flag
Exactly, especially when his blood is the cure. How can you be poisoned by yourself when you are also the cure. WTF?
Flag
I had the same thought about the venom - maybe the point was just that he could taste it? But still, why would it alarm him, he's a wolf. Hmm. Not satisfied.
Flag
Taste it? You mean his own blood?
Flag
No, Rebekha's. Genevieve said "you're probably tasting the werewolf venom in your sister's blood."
Flag
No I meant that you refered to him "tasting it"
So what if he tasted it? His own blood has that same venom.

It's incredibly stupid that he is hurt by it.
Flag
there was no question about how Klaus was going to react to Rebecca. That was just gonna happen no matter what. But I thought sparing the Witch was a surprise. I think he did it because he was grateful that she gave him the info and he already knew she had suffered anyway. That pointing the knife at her was his way of saying "I take no pleasure in this." but his sparing of her said "thank you for the information."
Flag
I just assumed she put some hex on him or something.
It seems that each of the witches has a different speciality. Genevive seems to be specialized with mind control and such, I assumed she just magically tipped his thoughts pattern in her favor.
Flag
For my two cents. I think many are really underestimating Mikael. He is after all at the core of Klaus' character. All the hatred, pain and abuse Klaus endured at his hands as a child and then living for a thousand years in fear of him is what defines Klaus and has always defined him, and still continues to define him. It's the reason he is so paranoid and lashes out, all because of Mikael. And like Rebecca said he is the only one Klaus has truly feared and those fears took root even before he was a vampire.

So for my money: Rebecca summoning Mikael was as big a betrayal as the episode showed, and Mikael was a big threat. He was stronger than Klaus. He had weapon that could kill Klaus, but Klaus had no weapon capable of slaying Mikael. His rather pitiful end was only because only one of them was going to survive that night and of course we couldn't kill Klaus he is far too awesome.
Flag
Perfectly said.
Flag
I agree. The problem is the choice to kill Mikael off in such a sudden and rather simple way on TVD. There was so much build up, and then, poof. He was basically sacrificed to further the Stefan/Klaus story. It was a low moment and an unsatisfying end to a character that they had successfully convinced us was Hell on Earth. And look - we're going down that same road on TVD - vampires who feed on vampires. Mikael was supposed to "kill us all!" when he came to mystic falls, instead he killed no one and was handily dispatched on (correction) TYLER's doorstep (not Klaus').
Flag
Just a slight nitpick, the michael thing was used not just further Klaus\Stefan.
It was also the introduction of the later important issue - How exactly can one kill an original vampire.
Flag
PS, I just thought of that: When Klaus drank Rebekah's blood, he screamed of pain. How can wolf's venim be painful for Klaus, the HYBRID? Oh and the wolves made a deal with the witches in order to kidnap Rebekah which was probable about Celeste breaking the curse. Can't Hayley figure that out instead of still trying to save her "family"? Is she planning to force Celeste to do the ritual??
Flag
We don't know what the deal the wolves made with Celeste.
For all we know, they could have done it just to get back at Marcel.
Flag
All of this didn't imply Marcel directly, the witches targeted the Originals. It's weird!
Flag
A) YES Mikael was a worse betrayal Klaus only fear was his father she used it against him. And Mikael was SCARY he was the only one who could truly kill him and he was terrified of him, Klaus got lucky when he killed him he got the advantage when Damon betrayed Mikael.
B) YES witches are not immortal they get diseases and they cannot just cure them thought this was common knowledge.
Flag
Although we know there are witches that live hundread of years, cheating death
Flag
Hmmm... I found at least the 6-7 previous episodes very... mediocre. This one, however, if you exclude Hayley knocking down the mighty Celeste, I found pretty powerful. It had emotions, twists, a thriller taste and a brilliant way to destroy the Mikaelsons from the inside. And btw, is it only me LOVING vampire flashbacks? They should have at least one per episode. My fav moments from all the vampire movies/shows are the flashbacks. Seeing the same character in a different era, witnessing his character development since then is so great!
Flag
I like the flashbacks usually, although the Salvatore ones can be boring depending on the subject matter. My problem is the Originals were under the impression that Mikael was willing to kill all of them, not just Klaus, so I highly doubt Rebekah would actually call Mikael. It wasn't until Mystic Falls that they learned the truth about why Mikael was really chasing them, and that he didn't want the other siblings at all. This is a plot hole.
Flag
I generally love flashbacks, but this show (counting TVD too) are doing it horribly because they constantly contradict everything in the show.

How is Rebekah doing a deal to bring Michael to be with Marcel when in TVD we were told she was doing shirtless hugs with Stefan at the time?
Flag
I think Michael conjuring was at 1919. They met Stefan at 1922 or so. If I remember correctly, they even mentioned it in TVD back then that they just had escaped their father.
Flag
I love the flashbacks.
Flag
I loved this episode if only for the shirtless Mikaelsons and Hayley continuing to be her awesome self. I almost cheered when she beat down Celeste/Sabine with that shovel.
Flag
I absolutely agree with all your criticisms 100% it was all the same things I was thinking while watching. My only other thing is that for some reason I could've sworn the Mikael being lured back to NO was already addressed in a different way in a different plot humph guess I was incorrect. I did d however enjoy the episode overall glad it's back.

1- Not at all considering. I even thought that Rebekah & Marcel's more recent plot would've held more weight.

2- Haha guess so I mean they are human/mortal, too bad Genevieve didn't have the same tricks up her sleeve as Celeste.

3- Probably

4- Revenge definitely
Flag
In the episode where they introduced the dead witches coming back, Rebekah and Marcel talked about bringing Michael and they were staring at Genevive.

So we the audience clearly knew what their plan was. That was the main problem with this episode, it was about exposing a secret we already knew.
Flag
This episode could've hit a land mile if Klaus was written to forgive for once, instead it had the expected save ending, and work some skulduggery to take out those that put them in this situation. A resolution of the K.M.R. triangle is beyond overdue. Shame.
Flag
Absolutely true! For a brief second I thought he might plunge that creepy bone knife into Genevieve, but NO of course not. He feeling grateful towards the witch who just tortured him and put him into a state of living hell (in his own words!), but who cares of course he is more angry and hurt by what Rebecca did to him hundreds of years ago. Seriously?! Especially when he also saw that she immediately regretted it like a night's sleep later and wanted to stop it. Also his supposed defiance of her happiness is completely ridiculous by now. Why wouldn't he want her to be happy?? If he just allowed her that one kindness of loving the one she loves and being happy, she would be loyal to him forever! Arrrgh so annoyed. Still liked the episode for its acting and cinematography though.
Flag
Yeah I liked the ep too but it makes you realise he gives Camille loads more slack than he ever gave Rebecca. His over-the-top expectation and lack of forgiveness of 'family alliance' feels misplaced at times.
Flag
what i don't get is why was Klaus so set on to end all of Rebekah's love relationships... we know she makes crapy choices but still...let the woman live her life!
Flag
I feel like Julie Plec really doesn't think some of these things through and as a result the writing endsends up looking sloppy . I mean first off, didn't we agree that in TVD, Rebekah was with Stefan right before Michael came to New Orleans? I mean she and Marcel were supposed to be so in love that they conjured the one person they knew Klaus was afraid of, the one that could rip their family apart. But then she gets involved with Stefan? That makes her seem all kinds of frivolous. Like their love was really just an infatuation.

Also, the writers do this thing were they expects us to find a character terrifying but then they do such a poor job at making them actually scary. I agree that Michael's demise was rather...unremarkable after all that build up. It raises the question of what the hell were they afraid of all this time if killing him was so damn easy? And let's not forget Kol and Finn. I mean an original killed by Matt Donovan?!! Come on! At least Jeremy was a hunter when he and Elena killed Kol. Aside for Klaus and Katherine, Plec makes some pretty uncompeling villains (Silas, anyone?). Although the last time I checked she was well on way to destroy all that is awesome about Katherine by turning her into a lovesick puppy.

Futhermore, I do understand why for Klaus , findindg out that Rebekah was the one that summoned Michael is still a big deal even after all this time. They said countless times that they considered NOLA to be home. They had to flee it because of him; Klaus thought Marcel had died. Back in the day, they were all afraid of Michael because they thought he could kill them. Rememeber, Klaus hadn't broken the curse to become a hybrid yet. And let's not forget that he did suffer a lot of abuse because he was the product of his mother's infidelity. Basically, its like she took his worst fears (which she was privy to because she is family) and unleashed them on him.Even Elijah was shaken when he found out. Also, bygones?! Price, have we not been watching the same show? I thought we already established that Klaus was not a forgiving being. He only forgives if he has something to gain by doing so.
Finally, can we talk about the awful thing that Rebekah did? I'm not talking about her inviting Michael to town because I honestly couldn't care less. Klaus deserved that and much more for all the crap he put her through all these years. Remember that episode where he kept killing anyone she liked? I do. The awful thing was what she did to Genevieve. I mean infecting her with a deadly disease and letting her slowly die? That's terrible. Not at all how you treat a friend. Snapping her neck would have been quicker and more human. I get why Genevieve is pissed. She's probably not gonna last long but I like her.

Ps: native French speaker here, forgive my grammar.
More+
Flag
Klaus & Rebekah met Stefan in 1922 in Chicago. They were on the run from Mikael at the time (as he caught up with them) and Klaus compelled Stefan to forget them since he didn't think they could take Stefan with them because he would draw too much attention from Mikael (I guess Stefan was ripping people apart at the time and not keeping a low enough profile) so he didn't want him to know anything when Mikael came to question him.

Rebekah falls in love at the drop of a hat though (both Kol & Klaus made mentions of this on TVD and I think even Caroline commented that it seemed like Rebekah tried to sleep with every guy she made eye contact with - including Damon, Stefan & Matt. In fact Rebekah was into Tyler as well when she showed up in early Season 3 but quickly lost interest in him and moved onto Matt). Elijah informed her that Marcel was alive and Rebekah couldn't have cared less - at the time she wanted to stay in Mystic Falls and then she and Matt went to Europe - she didn't care about Marcel. It was only once Matt was done with her and she no longer had a love interest that she became interested in Marcel again.
More +
Flag
Thanks for the Chicago bit, I didn't remember that.
Flag
Am I the only one bothered by The Originals ignoring its TVD roots here? I mean, Rebeccah's whole reason for summoning Mikael to New Orleans is supposed to be that she was so in love with Marcel -but, um, TVD clearly established that Rebeccah and Stefan were 'a thing' right before Mikael arrived in New Orleans... I get that they're trying to separate from TVD a bit but I don't like the retconning.
Flag
I'm pretty sure her and Stefan had a fling in the twenties.Mikael ran the og's out of New Orleans in 1919.And the next place Mikael would show up is in Chicago when Stefan is with bex and Klaus.
Flag
I admit I too thought it was in New Orleans, when Bex and Stefan were together but still...

The entire preimise of TVD is that Mikel was taken down by Abby who wasn't the biggest bad ass witch alive... Why are the new orleans witches having so much trouble with them post Devina?
Flag
Abby used expression to take down Mikael.
Flag
I kinda liked this episode, though it was definitely not one of my faves of the season.
I was actually kinda bummed that Klaus didn't immediately kill Genevieve. I thought for sure he was going to kill her once released.
I'm not sure what exactly it was about this episode that I didn't care for. It just didn't seem to be on par with other episodes.
Though I will admit hearing Klaus shout "rebekah" like that and chase her did scare the crap out of me!!
Flag
I was really worried going into this review, because you and I aren't always on the same wavelength when it comes to these shows, but everything you said was just YES. The more compelling storyline this time around would have been Klaus shrugging off the whole thing because A) Mikael is dead. Bygones. B) Rebekah has plotted worse against him just in the recent history of this show and C) If nothing else, Klaus should have been smarter than to play into the witches transparent plan. It would have been actual development for Klaus to realize that his own actions and decrees are what pit his sibling against him, not just his bastard luck.

Also, I'm confused about the Mikael timeline... so 1919 Mikael is summoned to New Orleans, nearly burns the city hunting his children, and a few short years later chases them out of 1920's Chicago? They aren't really that good at hiding as it turns out...
Flag
"Rebekah has plotted worse against him just in the recent history of this show"

This. So much!
Flag
To be perfectly honest I don't get the way they are portraying Rebekah and Marcel, it's like this immense love story but what happened in 1919 seems overrated. She was with Stefan in 1922 and chose him over Klaus and that was just 3 years later, so it makes it look like her love just swaps from person to person. Even Damon loved Katherine for 150 years but Rebekah got over Marcel in 3 years but they play it like it was worth betraying Klaus over. Not to mention when Mikael came, she ran with her siblings and didn't even check to see if Marcel made it or looked back once .It just seems like they are pushing this giant love story when history doesn't back it up.

Also Mikael was the boogeyman for the whole family, they all ran from him not just Klaus, so to bring him in was a huge betrayal from Rebekah. Yes Klaus is a dick and yes he acts like a 2 year old throwing a temper tantrum most of the time but it's not like he hasn't had his reasons to act the way he does. Not that I agree with them, but all the siblings have betrayed each other, none of them is better than the other but people seem to act like Klaus is just horrid all the way through when it's obvious he isn't. Elijah and Rebekah are just as bad in their own ways if not worse at times.

Also this anger from Rebekah doesn't seem to come from anywhere in particular, it comes across as a temper tantrum, Klaus has daggered her repeatedly and she has always chosen to stand by him anyway, her choice and now she acts like it was all his fault. Nobody made her stay, she chose to stay eveytime.

I also can't stand the Elijah and Hayley stuff, it's just creepy on so many levels.

More+
Flag
Bex'anger comes from the fact that Klaus abused and terrified her all her life.It is totally justified imo. Remember what he did to her when she chose Stefan in the twenties?Or to that governor's son?Bex didn't stay with him out of her own free will.She stayed bc she was afraid and bc Klaus had made her believe that no one would ever love her and she'd be forever alone
Flag
The entire episode I was so angry and had the urge to teleport in their world and unleash hell on anyone trying to hurt my Rebekah!!!!!!!
Flag
- Perhaps in terms of actual danger it wasn't that bad of a transgression, but their mutual hatred of their father had been a binding force for the Mikaelsons, so I feel like it had more of an emotional impact that the general dickishness they'd been swapping for a thousand years.
- I know right?! These witches are supposed to be super powerful (especially Celeste) and yet they couldn't prevent themselves from dying by a disease that they knew was all around them? Lack of forward thinking in my opinion...
- This was an A+ plot in my opinion. Maybe the writers will put it into every episode now?
- Probably just chillin'
Flag
she pretended to be a turn-of-the-century nurse during a terrible flu epidemic
The Spanish Flu Pandemic a terrible Flu epidemic. Yes personally I would go with something like catastrophic or Oh God, oh God we're all gonna die!!
3 to 5% of the world population died of the Spanish flu in just under 3 years that's pretty bad.
Flag
firefly reference. Love it
Flag
The ending was excellent.
Flag
Okay, the witches gave the riddle to have time with Rebekkah and Klaus. They couldn't give where they were right away because they wouldn't have the time to show Klaus what Rebekkah did. And the plan is not to defeat the Originals, is to break the sibblings bond, so they have to be rescued. I think it is a good plan, especially because it worked. Klaus feels betrayted on the three sides: Rebekkah, Elijah and Marcel.
And calling Mikael is a big deal. They all ran from him 1000 years, specially Klaus. Mikael was the only one who could truly kill klaus. Klaus has done terrible thing to Rebekkah, sure, is not totally logical to be mad at her, Klaus was done worse, my in his mind he did it for love, protetion, and to teach her a lesson or two (I'm not saying that I agree with him). But he never tried to kill her, and she calling Mikael was.
Another thing: Why Elijah didn't ask Marcel to see the names and write it? Why he had to call Haley? I don't mind, but for someone who is trying to hide the feeling, and not to give hope to the girl, calling her to see you half naked is not the best idea.
More+
Flag
That was the LOOOOONGEST hallway in history that Rebekkah was hobbling down.
And like Klaus hasn't done 10 times worse to Rebekkah in the 95 years since she summoned Mikael.
Still love the show but wasn't particularly buying this ep.
Flag
The thing that bugs me even more than the Mikael thing is that I just don't understand Klaus's motivation for not wanting Rebekah and Marcel to be together. Why is that? Has it ever been revealed? Is there an actual REASON beside Klaus just being a big controlling jerk? Can he simply not stand the idea of these two loving each other more than they love him? That just seems so...petty and lame.
Flag
I just think its because he considers them both sort of his and doesn't want to share them with each other. I don't think he wanted them to leave him for each other or something like that.
Flag
I think it's because Klaus considered Marcel to be his son so his son hooking up with Rebekah was basically the same as someone who was adopted hooking up with their adoptive parent's sibling.

Klaus was friends with Stefan (back when Stefan & Rebekah were together) and he was fine with it and then when Rebekah and Stefan hooked up again in Season 4 - it didn't seem like he cared at all. He had no issue with Rebekah hooking up with Matt a few months ago or the two times she hooked up with Damon in Season 3. So in regards to Marcel I think it could just be more the circumstances and the fact that Klaus considered Marcel to be part of the family.
Flag
You have very good points there, but I actually think Klaus' problem with Rebekah and Marcel is something else. Rebekah's relationships with Stefan and Matt were more casual, they were just hooking up. Nice and enjoyable, but nothing serious. Whereas Rebekah and Marcel, they were (are?) in love. It's much more serious and Klaus can see that. So I think it is just him being petty because he probably thinks that nobody can truly ever love him because of the things he's done, so he feels that his siblings shouldn't have the pleasure either.
Flag
These are all very good points...thank you for your insights. That had been bugging me and I think this helps me to understand more.
Flag
What surprises me is that after the way Klaus has treated his siblings he wasn't surprised that one of them hadn't betrayed him earlier!
Flag
Yeah after all the crap that Klaus has put his siblings through I laugh every time he seems surprised! Like really dude? What did you expect and then he cries and gets angry...the reactions of the characters to certain situations is why I stopped watching The Vampire Diaries because its SO unrealistic! Get it together Originals writers! I understand we need drama and tension but let's not be so sloppy!
Flag
I think summoning Mikael was a big deal for Klaus because we've heard this being reiterated tons of times in The Originals that they had made New Orleans what it was, they setup home there and it was the first place they truly felt they belonged to and Klaus & Co. had to leave all of it behind because Mikael found out where they were.

Also, the very premise of The Originals is that Klaus is back in New Orleans to claim the throne that was rightfully his and we all know how much Klaus loves being king :). So, yeah I understand why he reacted the way he did.

But, I did think that he'd never let Geneiveve or Celeste get the satisfaction that they managed to get inside his head. He'd "deal" with them before confronting Rebekah. I also thought of the possibility of him saying "so what?" to Geneiveve and saying that he didn't expect anything better of Rebekah.

Elijah & Marcel were good to see together and they are pretty compatible IMO.

Hayley and the shovel were awesome!

Elijah turning on Klaus I sorta expected because Marcel had already told him and he knew Klaus would be seriously pissed. And this was the only way he could stop him. Elijah would never kill any of his siblings nor will he let Klaus kill Rebekah.

All in all, I still think it was a good episode. The Originals has set the bar high for themselves and I am really excited to see where it goes next!

Characterization in The Originals and in TVD is what makes them such strong shows!! :) can't wait for the next episode.
More+
Flag
Characterization in The Originals and in TVD is what makes them such strong shows!! :) can't wait for the next episode

The Originals, yes. TVD, not so much anymore.

Mikeal is a big deal for Klaus for two reasons: 1) he abused him repeatedly for years and everyone allowed it, and 2) New Orleans was both his home and his safe haven and it got ruined in 1919.
Flag
Yeah TVD not so much I agree, but in bits you do see former glory... and I can't give up on a show that gave us characters like Katerina and the Mikaelsons. Though I do agree, now i watch it just because I just can't turn my back on TVD :)

Yes, totally agree about Mikael. That is why I do understand why he was angry with Rebekah.

Though I wished he'd have just pretended not to be to spite Geneiveve and Celeste. :)
Flag
I think the whole point of giving Elijah clues to find his siblings were that so he would come to the sanitarium to save them, only to find Klaus stabbing Rebekah with that knife. I guess Celeste/Genevieve figured that Elijah would be so pissed at Klaus for torturing Rebekah that he would take her side and never forgive Klaus for it, which would destroy their pact of "always and forever, blah blah blah, family above all," etc? Which seems like a lot of work for something that could end a million ways--I totally agree with on the fact that Klaus should have seen that Genevieve was manipulating him and instantly done the opposite of what she wanted just out of spite.

Which, to that end, I'd guess they more or less succeeded, because Elijah stabbing Klaus with the knife AGAIN is probably not going to do much to improve their relationships. Although the Mikaelsons have been dysfunctional since day one, so chances are they'll eventually get over it. We do have 1,000 years of evidence that Elijah will never stop looking for Klaus' redemption. I'm definitely interested to see where this goes, though! Genevieve was so terrifying, it was amazing.

Man, Klaus is going to throw the most epic shitfit EVER when he gets that knife out of him again! Not that I blame Elijah for doing it, I love Klaus as much as the next girl, but I also like it when characters have consequences to their actions, and it's not like we can say he hadn't earned it.

More+
Flag
damn these witches suck what happened to fireballs and serious magic like going back in time or stopping time and changing weather or flying
Flag
ikr. they even had to play some music and use werewolf venom to make others disillusioned.
Flag
how does saibine switch bodies?
Flag

umm

....with magic...
Flag
genavie and the other older witches couldnt do that why can she ?
Flag
¸¸.•*¨*•moar powrfull magiks•*¨*•.¸¸

Flag
"Did summoning Mikael really seem like the unforgivable crime this episode wanted us to believe it was?"

I don't know, is summoning Mikael, who made his life a living hell because he was the bastard child and the main reason why Klaus is the way he is, an unforgivable crime? I think the answer would be yes. A lot of people complain about Klaus and his pettiness, his abusiveness, and his actions towards the people around him. But it seems you've forgotten why he's like that. Mikael is the reason. So yes, despite the fact that you've tried to downplay it, it IS a big deal.
Flag
Is it me or was Price super-quick in uploading the recap? Not that I am complaining!!
Flag
he may have had a screener
Flag
This may have been brought up, but one of the things that bothered me about Celeste's big reveal (besides the fact Rebekah killed them with the flu?!?!?) is when she revealed to Rebekah that she was in fact in Genevieve's friend body, they showed a picture of Sabine, not the actually Celeste, which would have been more creepy than the modern day heavy make-up wearing former bit player on All My Children.
Flag
I said the same thing about the flashof "Celeste". Shouldn't it have been the original Celeste?
Flag
What you guys seem to be forgetting is that Klaus is an angry unforgiving jerk. So of course he'd be pissed at a betrayal from a hundred years ago. It's just who he is. Unlike Rebekah and Elijah, he hasn't grown or matured over the years.
Flag
I don't think Elijah or Rebekah have grown and matured over the years. Rebekah still acts like a love-struck teenager every time any guy looks in her direction and has been like that for over a thousand years. I think when vampires are turned they're more or less stuck at the age they were when they turned and they all seem to be unable to mature beyond their physical age (and this so far as been true on TVD as well - Stefan & Damon don't seem to have grown or matured in their 165 years and Elena seemed to regress in maturity when she was turned). This is why we have centuries old vampires chasing after high school students - they're emotionally the same age as the high school students.
Flag
I think, if anything, they get worse, become magnified versions of themselves, you know, the same way their emotions are magnified? When Damon was a human, he was at best, mildly irresponsible. As a Vampire he is a full blown Anarchist. Stefan was a pretty decent guy as a human, now as a vampire he is eligible for Sainthood.
Flag
I think the point of why Klaus should've been so angry at Rebekah for summoning Mikael... was because he was truly happy in New Orleans. That was his home. He had finally stopped running... he built that place up.... so for his own sister to call dear old Dad... I mean they were ALL running from Mikael.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members