A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

The Originals S01E09: "Reigning Pain in New Orleans"

Ah, the mid-season finale. The final hurrah before a long, cold winter. Usually a mid-season finale is the time for a new series to really prove its willingness to shock us or leave us hanging, but in the case of The Originals, the most shocking twist/cliffhanger was the revelation that this show is finally as terrific as we once hoped it would be. Yes, things started to really take shape three or four episodes ago, but this was the one in which things congealed and felt solid and compelling and confident, like a show that's been on for years. And now it's going away! What a cruel world we live in.

The beauty of "Reigning Pain in New Orleans" was how it re-situated characters, consolidated storylines, and essentially cleared the air before heading into more exciting territories. Davina's out of that attic, Klaus is officially in charge (his alleged inability to take control has always rung false), and almost every character (including Cami) is aware of the larger picture and stakes. Just the sheer fact that most of the characters now live together under one roof in the heart of Bourbon Street makes the world seem at once cozier AND more urgent. Introducing a human Faction as a formidable threat also built this world out enough to finally make New Orleans seem like a decent enough setting. (I still wish these power struggles were playing out New York or D.C., but oh well.) Most of all, it reminded us that no matter how awful these characters can be toward each other, they're always only a few scenes away from heartbreaking redemption. Nobody's really bad and nobody's really good. Now that the show has cleaned house and redecorated, the narrative possibilities seem truly endless. Let's talk about the best parts!

Klaus' toast

All good dinner parties should include the following: Bleeding waiters, hateful dinner guests, a call for genocide, and a dining table set up in a filthy nightclub courtyard despite the fact that you live in a mansion. Even better, make sure your toast is amazing. Klaus' sure was! Alternating between gloating about being in charge and threatening certain doom to those who dare cross him, this was the first time in a while Klaus has actually felt, well, KING-ly. Right away he asserted himself as the true ruler of vampires in a way that not only felt genuine, it finally, FINALLY validated this show's very premise. And I don't know if you caught his opening line or not, but Klaus said that despite being immortal and ageless, vampires like them don't tire of being alive, but rather they feel more and more alive with each passing century. It was a relatively unremarkable claim, but if you've been watching TVD this season, this statement directly contradicted that show's repeated assertions that immortal creatures inevitably grow tired of being alive and eventually crave death. Nope! Just one more subtle reason why The Originals has started to overtake TVD conceptually: THESE vampires are actually stoked to be here, and are, therefore, more fun to watch.

Elijah and Rebekah: Swamp Patrol

Anything that causes Rebekah and Elijah to team up for do-gooding is an automatic A+ for me. In this case Hayley pleaded with her baby-daddy’s brother and sister to prevent the rest of her bloodline from being massacred on Klaus' orders. This entailed a few scenes in which Elijah and Rebekah saved the lives of random swamp werewolves, stood up to that one vampire with the puffy hair, and Rebekah uttered some of the funniest lines of the season. "You know how hovels depress me" made me LOLSM (laugh out loud so much), but then later when she casually complained "I stink of the bog" I had to lie on the floor for a minute. Rebekah is the best. Oh, also an important thing came of this: Hayley's cousin Eve (can werewolves also be witches?) lead them to an encampment of werewolves descended from Klaus' biological father! Whoa, that's a big piece of unexplored mythology that this series is finally delving into. Plus, Klaus came to actually appreciate his siblings' efforts and decided to secretly provide his extended kin with safe harbor. Anyway, yeah, this plotline was but a small part of this episode but every second of it felt important and, more importantly, highly entertaining.

The Faction

So first of all, the humans in this world are actually amazing? The Faction are formidable and important in a way that the Vampire Council of Mystic Falls never was. For one thing, New Orleans is a huge city, so to introduce its mayor and other powerful city figures as a coalition willing to massacre vampires on a whim, just make stakes suddenly seem so much higher. I mean, yeah, of course Klaus and Marcel went on to brutally murder the mayor in this episode, but the fact that they murdered THE MAYOR OF NEW ORLEANS was so over-the-top I clapped my hands. Also, how about that back-room vampire drive-by? The Faction were such thugs for doing that! But did you catch the moment where Klaus looked really concerned about Marcel's gunshot wounds? So good.

That one skeleton

Haha this I loved this guy. Obviously this vampire is on the Other Side now, but I just loved seeing a full-on, burnt up skeleton chillin' on the floor there. Had we ever seen one before? I thought sunlight just gave vampires super bad sunburns and they merely had to take two steps backward into a shadow, but his guy just plum burst into flames and laid down! I'm not saying I would behave rationally while engulfed in flames, but still. D for effort, dude.

The garage gang

First of all, hey, new set! I always love a new set. Now that everybody's moving into Klaus' old home we're getting to see more and more of the floor plan and this excites me. I feel like we might even be getting a secret passageway out of it soon? Guys, all I want is for these characters to live in a big house full of secret passageways. I love secret passageways so much. ANYWAY, Davina and Josh were secretly kickin' it in the garage, which was already a great situation for those of us who love these insta-besties. But then Hayley dropped by and tried to join the gang. Yes! I really hope these three become the teen monster club of New Orleans, that would be amazing.

Klaus' change of heart

The pattern will always be like this: Klaus does something terrible; Klaus has a change of heart; somebody betrays Klaus; Klaus does something terrible; repeat x infinity blackout forever. Which is good, that is a great pattern! In this case Klaus' reign of angsty terror quickly subsided when he made a heartbreaking speech about how his father had failed him, Marcel's father had failed HIM, and he had no intention of failing his own child. He then offered Marcel a co-governing partnership as "equals, brothers, friends." Touching yes, but also riveting in that Marcel had been secretly plotting against Klaus alongside Rebekah. However, Klaus' olive branch proved compelling enough for Marcel to essentially break it off with Rebekah, which meant this show continues to be a domino-effect of positive actions leading to negative ones. Such good drama.

Davina's Agency

Davina FINALLY realized the extent to which Marcel had been using her, the breaking point being the fact that he failed to mention that her worst enemy was dead and she didn't necessarily need to be living in dusty attics anymore. I especially loved that Hayley delivered the news and Davina distrusted her only to then realize Hayley was right and therefore they were allies. It's not clear what exactly Davina will do now (or why she wouldn't just high-tail it out of that puke-encrusted neighborhood), but allowing this lady to come and go as she sees fit? Yes, finally.

The Almost-Kiss

I mean, come on. Regardless of how you feel about this particular relationship, it's hard not to be moved by the frustrated, forbidden aspects of Hayley and Elijah's flirtations. Whatever happens, it won't end well, but this beat where they stared at each others' mouths up close was just so excruciatingly affecting.

The Apology

I'm not sure it had been well enough established that Elijah is reluctant to apologize for his mistakes, but it still felt momentous and meaningful when he admitted to Klaus that he'd been wrong to accuse him of hybrid-lust. Klaus immediately accepted the apology and even invited Elijah and Rebekah to move in, but the more important aspect was Klaus' obvious softening in his hard-line stance against those around him. Perhaps he'd realized he needs the love and loyalty of others in order to rule or even be happy, but I prefer to think he might take Elijah's apology as an example of how to behave himself. It's been more than established that Klaus doesn't love to apologize for his crimes and transgressions, but it's definitely starting to feel like he's evolving into a somewhat more empathetic person. But, you know, baby steps.

Cami's bad day

Poor Cami! I'm frankly not sure why, after discovering Klaus' secret in the previous episode, she immediately 'fessed up to him about it. He obviously just compelled her again. But I did love that this time she'd left herself post-its around the apartment, Memento-style. I wish that in her research into vampires she'd gotten to the chapter about eating vervain, but oh well. At the very end Davina arrived to ask Cami for help (um, why?) and decided to uncompel Cami once and for all. Man, I love that un-compulsion is super painful in this world. That's a nice touch, it makes what could have been a narrative shortcut significantly more important and thrilling. Anyway, Cami's brain-scrub did NOT seem fun. Hopefully she'll put it to good use!

"Reigning Pain in New Orleans" was, more than ever, a solid, fully realized episode that capitalized on the show's premise. What a difference it made to have the characters move in together! What a difference it made to place the actual most powerful vampire at the head of the table! Sure, everybody's still got a secret agenda or two, but this show has never felt more organic, integrated, and cohesive. Oh, and ENTERTAINING. This episode was just a straight-up treat. And now it's going away for what will feel like forever. [sadface] Oh well. Happy holidays, friends!

QUESTIONS

... Did the Almost-Kiss hurt your heart?

... Will The Faction 2.0 be as bad-ass as the first one?

... Do you have a secret garage friendship circle?

... Should Davina be the only witch on this show from now on?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

239 Comments
Comments (239)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
GREAT EPISODE!!! I can't wait til the baby is born!!!
Flag
I think it's weird how Hayley and Elijah are getting together. Even Daniel Gillies doesn't like the pairing. He said it was gross and that they weren't a good match. Don't believe me here it is! http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/12/31/saving-hope-season-3-daniel-gi llies_n_4524618.html

I agree they don't make any sense together. I feel Julie Plec threw them together just to cause unnecessary angst and drama. If it weren't for the fact that she were pregnant Elijah wouldn't have given Hayley the time of day.

I think he just like what she represents and he likes the fact that she's pregnant. Its creepy.

I see more potential in Klaus and Hayley getting together. Not now, but eventually. I don't want them to force it either,like they do Klamille and Haylijah. Just let it develop naturally. They have a lot in common and I see potential there.

But first things first, GIVE THEM SCENES TOGETHER!!! I don't understand how two people living in the same house under the same roof and are having a baby together don't even share any scenes. Elijah seriously needs to step back.
Flag
I'm super into Hayley and Elijah. Hot!
Flag
me too!
Flag
i enjoyed this episode alot i cant wait for it to come back but i do have to say that i hope they build up klaus and hayleys relationship for seasons to come and when enemies and allys come and go from new orleans including anyone romantically involved with klaus and hayley! for example caroline (who i love but hopes does not come over) when all thats been explored ..they do something with klayleys relationship! as klaus is used to people giving up on him and abandoning him (a little like rebekah) ..hayley would be the constant thing in his life that he depends on almost! i just hope the writers dont think all want klaroline and klamille..
Flag
I agree!!!
Flag
I think the most important question of all is: what exactly did Marcel do?
If Rebekah thinks she can rain all over Marcel's parade, it's got to be big right? Any chance he ratted them out to their dad (R.I.P) the immortal vampire hunter ?
Flag
I think that is what he did. I would make sense as to why Marcel stayed in NO when the rest of the family left. He was responsible for Mikael showing up.

It would also be a great relationship reset for the show. Let Marcel and Klaus get very close again and then reveal that Marcel betrayed Klaus to Mikael. Klaus would be devastated.
Flag
How were the vampires out in the daylight searching for werewolves in the bayou??? All of a sudden Klaus gave them all daylight rings??????
Flag
The vampires out in the woods were the Daywalkers from Marcel's inner circle. They all have daylight rings.
Flag
Probably. They did still have Davina around.
Flag
I like Klaus and Hayley together. I think they're relationship could be great if given a chance. I like the fact that they are both damaged people who have been rejected and simply want to be loved. I don't know why they don't find that in each other.
There is still a sexual attraction, certainly on Klaus's part. I just think the reason they go for people who are the exact opposite of themselves is because they don't like who they are. They both suffer from severe low self-esteem. That's the real reason Klaus lashes out. He feels he is not loved and he is not worthy. Klaus and Hayley both see themselves in the other, and they hate what they see.
Truth is, there's nothing wrong with who they are. They shouldn't be ashamed of themselves. Camille and Caroline can't "fix" Klaus, because he doesn't need to be fixed. He needs to know that he is loved and that he is worthy, the same with Hayley. I think it would be really beautiful if those two could find love with each other. Kind of symbolic in a way. Two people who were unloved their whole lives, find true love with each other...

But I mean that's just my opinion.
More+
Flag
Waw. It's funny, because I like the attraction they are obviously trying to play up between Hayley and Elijah well enough. But your comment made me want Klaus and Hayley! And maybe the reason why most people don't see it is because they haven't shown it to us...what something between those two could be. The thing that scares me is that they will build on this Hayley&Elijah thing and then make Klaus the "Damon" of this series. So, I hope they (very soon) pick one relationship for Hayley and stick to it and give it all they've got. I, for one, would rather Hayley not be the center of a triangle. Give me difficult love, give me deep, and painful, and crazy love, but PLEASE not a friggin Klaus/Hayley/Elijah triangle.
Flag
Excellent, re-thinking my 'go Elijah' wish....certainly would be interesting and i love Klaus showing abit of heart....better storyline for Klaus too!!
Flag
YES!!! OriginalFreak you're perfect and I love you!
Flag
You just pointed out everything that I feel about them - you're amazing! Someone gets it! EVERYTHING you said made sense and was totally plausible. I love you! ;) I really hope they get together, as it just makes sense and it would be beautiful and the symbolism would make a proper, 'sophisticated' romance. For once.
Flag
did anybody else noticed Diego's boots? he sort of looked like he just droped off filming "Puss in boots"
Flag
On the topic of Klaus and Hayley, I don't want them to get together. Instead, I think it would be awesome if Klaus realized that keeping Hayley safe would be the best thing he could do for his child.

One of Klaus's main issues is not that just that his father abused and belittled him. It is also that his mother was not willing/able to defend her child above all else. (Personally, I have always thought it was not "willing" since she was a powerful witch and Mikael was just a human.)

I think Hayley is the exact opposite of Ester. I have no doubt that she would take on anyone who messed with her little girl including Klaus.

It would be great if Klaus realized that if he really wants to be the best father he can be it means ensuring that she has a mom who will keep her safe, even, if necessary, from him.
Flag
I agree with all that you said. The core issue for klaus is trust. His father abused him physically and emotionally for his entire human life and none of his family including Elijah whom is his older brother helped him his mother had the ability to stop Mikael but chose not to which made klaus's issues run deeper than they could have. I see the development in klaus he is learning to trust but it will take time concidering his father has hunted him for close to 900 years and his mother saw him as an abomination and tried to kill him. I think you can tell I love klaus :)
Flag
It's funny, because now that we agree the show is going in an improved direction, I'm really bored with it. It just suddenly seems way too similar to TVD! In the bad ways, not good ways.

Davina is the new Elena- less useless and grating, to be sure, but way too much pouting around darkened mansions yelling "You're lying! How can I trust you!" Ugh staaahp.

And I'm just weary of the whole 'conspire against Klaus, have secret whisper meetings, swap allegiances a thousand times, maybe Klaus isn't so bad, Klaus does something horrible, conspire against Klaus anew' pattern.
Maybe I'm just cranky! But I want exciting new supernatural adventures every week, not a retread of the last few seasons of TVD. Klaus' woof (LOL Haley's pronunciation) daddy is an interesting development, but I'm not sure it's enough to bring me back in January. Sorry The Originals, but Reign may have stolen me away forever.
Flag
I am in full agreement about how fabulous Rebecca is. I especially loved her sweet teasing of her always proper big brother. Rebecca talks about wanting to leave and be free, but I really don't know what she would do without her bothers. Most likely she doesn't either.

It was awful, but predictable that Marcel failed/betrayed Rebecca. Even when he is honestly showing her affection, it was clear she was just an after thought in what he really wanted. (I get to rule and I get you.)

Rebecca deserves someone better. I would say she needs to find someone not connected to Klaus, but those people tend to be killed by Klaus so she is kind of stuck.

Flag
I know lots of people don't like that Klaus is so powerful and talk about weaknesses being interesting, but everyone has physical weaknesses. To me having physical weakness is incredibly normal and way more dull than this one guy who doesn't. Klaus is therefore unique, special, and his vulnerability comes from his many and varied issues!

Give me an all powerful being whose weakness comes from being his own worst enemy. Only klaus can hurt klaus. Fascinating
Flag
Personally I don't like it because his brothers together should be able to defeat him.
Flag
I love Elijah with Hayley!!! I don't want Hayley to end up with Klaus because I'm still hoping Caroline will be with Klaus in the end. :(

My friend and I was so disappointed with Elijah being the noble one. Please stop being noble for once and kiss Hayley! XD
Flag
....well...let me tell you, I just adore Rebekah!!!
Flag
I don't find Elijah to be the type og character having troubles admitting his mistakes. Wasn't he honorable etc?
I loved the episode, Hailey and Elijah are adorable!
Flag
Elijah is now officially in my all time favorite vampire top three - that combination of nobility and sheer badassery is just hard to beat.

My favorite scene (out of many brilliant ones this episode) was Elijah threatening the wolf hunting vampires and Rebecca's smile that followed - just awesome. I love this show!
Flag
Comment test.
Flag
My problem with Klaus, both here and in TVD, has always been that he is to "all powerfull". There is nothing and nobody that can stop him from doing whatever he wants.
But, his mother(the witch) created the originals and in my book that leads to the conclusion that a witch can be as powerful or more powerful than him. For this show to develop it needs a power to balance Klaus,. to create a "cold war" so to speak and I want and can see Davina becoming that power. We need something that can stop him if he wants something the show cant let him have and she'll be perfect for that. At the moment she has no real personal animosity towards him, she'll just be an equal power but with a different agenda and when those agendas collide this show could be really interesting.

Disregarding that, I loved this episode, think it might be my favourite so far and it really gave a good feeling for where the show is heading without giving any specifics to that.
Flag
This ep was very excellent, and even though I know the show is totally manipulating me with feels, daaammnnnn that almost kiss.

Hmm, i also love the idea of an being-human-type set up with the 3 misfits, there could be some interesting stuff that goes down with them. Will be happy when this show returns next year, although its a bit of shame we won't get to see Klaus in a crazy Christmas jumper. (How good would a christmas-themed Originals episode be, seriously?)
Flag
Josh! He better stick around. I mean he's getting some character development and I really like him. Plus come on, we need a gay character on a show like this. A gay Vampire of all things, what could be more awesome?

Flag
But..everything else about this episode was..yup, awesome. And to the Mr. Price , you have redeemed yourself for going on those suicide rants on the VD reviews -I hated those rants, because, yeah, you are totally right! Don't kill yourself! But you also used it as a rant against people believing in ...like, anything. I was raised catholic but I don't practice religion of any kind. Still, I am not so naive that I wouldn't consider the possibility of ,something, after death. We don't know anything in the grand scheme of things. And as a wise man once said,"Disbelief, is a belief too." Anyway, you could have saved all those rants, just by saying the one part of this review where you talk about how much these vamps enjoy immortality. And yes, you could have made mention of the VD characters trying to kill themselves and make the comparison. There has been a lot of that lately going on in that show i will agree. But , this is fiction, and they are working off archetypes. Hell, suicide worked for Shakespeare.I'm pretty sure Julie Plec is not above it.
And, I know they are impressionable but I hope to GOD schools didn't stop teaching Shakespeare to teens, or change up stuff like they wanted to do with Mark Twain. Yeah, some stuff in fiction is ugly. But you know, as this show has taught us, if Klaus were a teacher, he wouldn't exactly be taking Shakespeare off the approved reading list!
Just enjoy the ride man!
More+
Flag
My only problem with this episode occurred instantly: Blood as Soup. They should have bled into goblets or something and literally drank the toast!
My main question is...How do they bleed these people and not kill them? Shallow cuts? They were pouring blood! My theory: vampire blood in the system may heal them fast ..feed them, then bleed them. That's my theory. Otherwise..who serves the second course? They never showed a pile of waiter bodies. And if there was one? Then who brought the salad?
Flag
Yeah, I thought that was super weird, too. Bleed into goblets, not bowls. What, are they going to lap it up like dogs?
Flag
I want Klaus and Hayley together
Flag
I want Klaus and Hayley to hook up. I don't get why they're so mean to one another. All they do is eye fuck whenever they have a scene.
Flag
I'm finally starting to really enjoy this show. I was hoping to have two TVD quality shows to look forward to every week, and that's starting to be true.
Flag
Hmmm... I wonder if all the burnt up vampires have to travel through Bonnie to get to the other side??
Flag
Hmmm...I wonder if all the burnt up vampires had to travel through Bonnie to get to the other side?
Flag
I don't understand how Klaus can care more about some bartender with a fake psychology degree than he does the mother of his child. That scene where he didn't what happened to Hayley after she gave birth was like messed up. Also for some reason I thought the Davina comment about hayley being Klaus's wife was foreshadowing, why else put it in there.
Flag
1. No but I like Elijah's restraint. It's like when Davina gave him a drop of blood and he could stand down by sheer will power. Whatever happens with him or Hayley (frankly I don't mind either situations) I very much hope Hayley doesn't end up with Klaus, that will destroy the new arc that Klaus will have to care for his child and his child alone, not to start a family with a potential lover at the same time. As in the article, baby step with back and forths.

2. Probably, they never give enough attention to the humans for something to change, that would require some new main character as a human that will survive the inevitable non-main character deaths within a few episodes. Still, I thought that scene was lame. It was expected for them to eat the entire party and leave Kieren alive (which I thought was a smart move, he's an interesting character) but scaring the mayor with some nasty psycho torture would have been far more compelling and frankly, less work for Klaus and Marcel to establish new relationship with whatever new people that arrive.

3. Unfortunately not. I can picture a secret society of independent garage circles uniting together to spread friendship to people that needs it. I like Josh and Davina, they work together well.

4. No, absolutely not. This show has a focus on family themes and loytalty stuff, personal stuff. I can't see some secret coven of witches coming to town to wreak havok (like Silas) to do any good to it but I would love for a new witch (or warlock!) to arrive that would become a anti-villain (basically against both Marcel and the Originals) but that specific person would have a secret weapon, something that protects it from physical death or something just so the Originals can't touch him. It's so great to watch Klaus being powerless against a witch, remembering the scene with him and Bonnie in season 4 when they went after the cure. Yeah, bring forth new regular as an anti-villain warlock that opposes the Originals but won't try to kill them.

All in all, a great episode even if a few scenes felt short.

Anyone else smiled when Rebekah teased Elijah because he fancies Hayley? :)
More+
Flag
Cami is going to end up like Ginger in True Blood at this rate, which would make her more fun at least. Davina is growing into quite the bitch witch. I assume the mardi gras neighbours are used to blood curdling screams.
A woman spurned; shouldn't Rebekah have, or be going to, snap Marcel's neck already? It's about time she went old school Rebekah and at least bitch slapped him. That guy ultimately always has a reason to choose otherwise.
When the vamps were attacking the werewolves, didn't one bite one to drain him? Shouldn't his blood be bad/poison to vamps?
It never ceases to amaze how open voiced plots against vamps are spoken in a house with said vamps in it! So are vamps like people with autism in their constantly having to shut out noises, but which ones...

Flag
If they bring a human faction that can actually cause damage to the supernatural community, this show will be badass.

And Klaus needs to assert his authority without petty games. Dude is the strongest supernatural being on earth; he needs to act like it.
Flag
I agree. The first thing I thought of when I saw the "vampire drive-by" or when Klaus threatened the humans is that they must have an unsupernatural group of hunters on standby just for situations like this. That or they found some.
Flag
It is obvious that almost-kiss will soon be all time kiss once the baby is born. She will be free, Klaus made it clear he has no plan to keep her around and Elijah is all over her, more in every next episode.
Flag
I love the show but I hate how humans are totally helpless against the supernaturals. I mean fine, we actually are but it shouldn't be totally. I also think they got the hierarchy wrong, it should be
Witches
Hybrids
Originals
Vamps
Werewolves
Humans
Considering it was a witch that started the vamp race. And bonnie is gonna be in a lot of pain.
Flag
um yes Davina should be the only witch on the show. A m i rhe only one to notice how amazing and witch free the last couple episodes have been. Coincedence? Nope, the witches were boring yay everybody else!!! God even the humans were more dangerous and entertaining!!!!
Flag
I wonder if we're going to get to see Bonnie go through "Oh shit New Orleans vampires and witches and werewolves are dying all over the place" type experience sometime in TVD, with her as the anchor. She's been lucky enough to have had what, three deaths? That Klaus fight last episode alone should have sent a bunch of angry former Marcel-allied vamps showing up ruining her make-out sessions and all that. I'm assuming we're to take the shows as running on the same timeline, now?
Flag
Seeing how the pilot took place in season 4 I'm having so much trouble considering the shows on the same timeline. But then there's Tyler...
Flag
There were a few months between the first episode (which was at the same time as last year's pilot) and the second (when Rebekah showed up) and that caught it up to TVD.
Flag
That would be nice. Maybe that's how they'll link the 100th episodes on TVD.
Flag
The Almost-Kiss hurt my heart so bad. SO BAD! I still have chest pains. Those two crazy kids will be the death of me.
Flag
:( I need it to happen soon or I'm going to go crazy
Flag
Too much drama, not enough content. Klaus is damn drama queen!
Flag
I feel like the show is lacking in certain regards. These plotlines are all heavy, and yet they don't feel fully flushed out. This show should have more scheming and action. What happened to that episodes where Rebekah and Klaus plotted against Marcel to retrieve Elijah? What happened to Klaus stealing Marcel's vampires unnoticed? And why was Josh the only one in his employ? It's not like Klaus can't make his own damn vampires. I'm down for Marcel and Klaus reconciling, but damn I wanted them to up the mind games before doing so.
Flag
I couldn't agree more
Flag
Love the review...Excellent episode. Klaus certainly showed Marcel who's boss! Davina rocks, Klaus doesnt deserve Hayley..go Elijah!
Flag
I do kinda like ;Originalfreak's ' post up there, would be kinda cool...as much as i like Elijah, Hayley falling for Klaus could be good and we get to see Klaus finally feel loved..ummm
Flag
Loved this episode!!! I'm even starting to not hate Cami as much, but Klaus and Cami can NEVER be together!!! Never Ever!!!!!

Davina is the best witch that has ever been on TVD or the Originals! They should just have her!!!
Flag
Cami was pretty much the only character I didn't hate before this episode. Now I hate her too. She's been scared of Klaus and Marcel the whole season, but the moment she found out that he's a 1000-year-old psychopathic mass-murdering monster, she just threw herself at him. What was she afraid of before? That he wasn't a mass murderer or a monster?
Flag
I don't watch the show, mainly because I am watching too many things this year and I think I will catch up during summer. However, I am keeping up and from and I have reached the following conclusion: The writing-producing-directing team are putting all their effort to the Originals and leave the Vampire Diaries to decay. Which is a shame. The Originals seem much more interesting right now. It actually seems to have a story, coherency etc. If they want to finish with tvd they might as well give us a good conclusion and continue with the Originals. This is not working :(((
Flag
Okay, some psychic predictions:

1) The next person to betray Klaus (that's next on the cycle, right?) will be Elijah and Hayley (the Almost-Kiss).

2) Davina, Josh, Hayley, and Cami will form a secret club to overthrow everybody, putting another party on the board.

3) This makes the Mikaelsons, the Secret Garage Gang, Marcel's Folks, the Faction, the Werewolves, and the Witches. Six gangs! Excited. Though I guess the Witches are kind of dead now, and the Werewolves aren't really huge yet. Still—four gangs is good too.

4) I'm thinking that someone from Marcel's Folks will find out about Hayley's birthmark, but I'm not sure how that would actually matter. I mean, what exactly is so special about the Moon-Birthmark Wolves? Do we know, or am I just forgetting?

5) We will never know what it was that the witch said that Hayley was trying to Google Translate. I seriously want someone to tell me what it was so I can try Latin.

ALSO, I loved it when Klaus just off-handedly told Kieran to make a new Faction Gang. 'Well, there's a Deputy Mayor, right?' Oh God that was so perfect. Does anybody think Klaus spends too much time watching Doctor Who, though? Dude, you are at least traveling through time in order, you should know the political positions. The Doctor has an excuse—you do not.

And really, enough with the Klaus/Cami / Silence parallels. Be original, writers!
More+
Flag
Elijah actually apologized so he might be good for a while. Hayley's probably going to get in trouble for blabbing to Davina though so will probably step in.

I was really hoping Cami was donzo. I know they want a human around, but I wish she would use her brain for something other than psych vocab. Why does she keep telling Klaus that she figured it out? She feels angry and violated and yet she keeps telling him her secrets and that she knows. It's like she's COMPELLED to give herself away lol. I bet you she runs to Klaus next episode like, "Ha! Davina removed your compulsion and now I'm on vervain." And then Klaus will be like, "Okay, I'll just hold on to you until it leaves your system and do it again."
Flag
I think it's very handy that vampires' compulsion lasts a bit longer than when they stop talking, because if it wore off immediately, Cami would probably freak out that there was some strange British guy holding her face and looking into her eyes all sad-like. Freak the hell out of me, anyway.
Flag
It would not freak me out if it was Joseph Morgan!!! But yes, probably another random dude doing that would get a tad awkward, then I would just look at my stack of vampire books scattered everywhere and realize the random British dude was not the oddest thing in the room.
Flag
Who would be the ideal actor to suddenly find in your room?
Flag
Personally if David Tennant showed up in my room I'd be pretty great. :)
Flag
For:
'I saw it and thought of me,' - Niklaus Mikaelson is hereby awarded The Most Selfish Immortal Being in the French Quarter annual award. Tune in next year for another addition of TMSIBFQ. Who will be the next winner?!
Flag
Aw lads Davina is the best. Why wasn't Bonnie ever like this? (My eternal hate for Bonnie cannot be iterated enough) Or any other witches for that matter? Witches were like hybrids; they made a lot of noise plot-wise but were in reality pretty much useless and annoying. Until Davina came busting on to the scene. Love it.
Flag
I think that Davina is so badass because she knows she's extremely powerful. Like Tessa was!
Flag
Davina is a great witch I love how she has no problems doing what needs to be done
Flag
Unlike every other witch who seem to serve as random plot devices and eventual new graves.
Flag
witches are supposed to be feared and revered, they have power and should be able to do a lot more damage then they are bonnie from TVD did some magic stuff but never to the extent that Davina is. although Tessa from TVD was one crazy and powerful witch
Flag
Tessa was pretty good. I still stand that the witches the Mikaelsons brought with them to Mystic Falls were amazing. Where are THOSE people at? I know this family has more witches in the wings somewhere. I wish the writers would stop acting like the Mikaelsons lost all their power when they lost New Orleans.
Flag
In this episode there where two scenes in Klaus new apartment that prominently showed a poster of the movie "quo vadis"
according to wikipedia
The action takes place in ancient Rome from AD 64–68, a period after Emperor Claudius' illustrious and powerful reign, during which the new corrupt and destructive Emperor Nero ascends to power and eventually threatens to destroy Rome's previous peaceful order.
Now Claudius is Latin for Klaus and Klaus did leave new Orleans.
The film tells the story of a Roman military commander, Marcus Vinicius (Robert Taylor), who is also the legate of the XIV Gemina, returning from the wars, who falls in love with a devout Christian, Lygia (Deborah Kerr), and slowly becomes intrigued by her religion.
Marcus is Marcel and you a have decent well of inspiration.
Not really sure what I want to say with this, but I guess the history of Rome is a near infinite well of inspiration for the writers.
Legend has that Rome was founded by two brothers (Elijah, Klaus history tends to forget women so who knows)
The Roman civil war was legendary (feels like Marcel and Klaus bust up is not over yet)
Then again maybe the poster is just a poster, or it is foreshadowing something and we all know what Emperor Nero is most famous for.

More+
Flag
some aditional findings Nero's full name is Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus. Also Nero was artisticly inclined and murdered his mother.
Flag
Which is why I think Klaus is Augustine behind the vampire experiments on TVD. Klaus made a statement back when he was siring hybrids about the steps for making a vampire. In a recent episode, the good doctor conducting experiments made the same speech about the steps for making a vampire, and its announced a Klaus crossover to TVD. I don't think these are coincidences.
Flag
Oh my god this episode was so feel good. It's like the show has relaxed and you didn't uneven realise it was holding it's breath till it wasn't.

The characters are all so freaking likeable and interesting every scene I'm like ooh awesome it's them. Kieran is fantastic.

Awesome to have descendants of Klaus's father but not convinced any meeting would go smoothly or that Klaus wouldn't be on edge with them.

It's so precious when Elijah and Klaus get on, that apology was like seeing a lion and a tiger hug.

Oh and when cami saw Klaus's past and showed him sympathy he didn't know what to do with? Brilliant. I was shouting at her to hug him. He's never had a single hug during tvd/originals and I want to see him all lost receiving affection, aww...ok I'm done lol
Flag
1. Yes the kiss hurt my heart
2. Hopefully it will be bigger and better. Maybe find a white oak stake or something they can actually threaten the originals with
3. Yep, me and my friends meet all the time in our secret garage.
4. Yes, Devina is an amazing witch and they should just get rid of the rest of them
Flag
I really, really want a Bobby Jindal cameo now! He could just pop up, stake a vamp, and walk away "The Right Stuff" style and I'd be eternally happy. Well, at least for a week.
Flag
I loved this episode!! Definitely one of my favorites, and coincidentally, one of my all-time favorite TVD episodes also features a dinner party. Clearly I need to start hosting dinner parties.

I particularly enjoyed Elijah and Rebekah out trying to save the werewolves. Particularly Rebekah's hovel line, and also when she told Elijah he had better be doing this to impress the girl. I love Elijah and Rebekah's brother-sister relationship. It's heart-warming and genuine, and these two actors make it so seamlessly believable. I also loved this scene because it showed the regular vampires sort of in fear of them (perhaps not fear, but wary), which was nice, since they are originals and therefore MUCH harder to kill.

I am super excited that Davina has her own agenda. She's such a powerful witch and a compelling character that it's a refreshing change. I'm excited to see if she tries to go against Marcel as payback.

Loving this show, and I'm very excited for the next episode, even though it is more than a month away :(
Flag
I have really loved the Cami ghost-writing Klaus' memoirs while he dictates-scenes in the last few episodes, funny stuff. I for one would really like to read them.

Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members