A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

The Originals S01E06: "Fruit of the Poisoned Tree"

Sometimes in life you have to get your head out of the clouds and just accept the facts. You will never become a world class yachtsman. Your pop music career will remain third-tier at best. Your pet chimp will never learn proper English. And your second-favorite vampire show on The CW may never become whatever you'd hoped it would be (i.e., your #1 favorite vampire show on The CW). But accepting the facts isn't always a bad thing! The best part about finally shaking off unrealistic expectations is that only then can you truly appreciate what you DO have in life. For instance, The Originals. We definitely have The Originals. I don't know about you, but no matter what feelings I have about the series from week to week, I'm glad it exists in general. Especially this week, as "Fruit of the Poisoned Tree" was a very good and fun episode! Obviously there were too many moments where one of the poor actors had to recite a lugubrious line of exposition or two or three, but that sort of thing is in the DNA of the show now. It's probably time to stop struggling against this and just accept it. So in the spirit of acceptance, I thought I'd do things differently this week. The Originals might not ever be the show I'd expected or hoped for, but what's good is so good that I think I should just focus on those things. So, in chronological order, here are the ten best things that happened this week!

1. Vampire book club

You knew it was going to be a good episode when it began with a pair of thousand-year-old vampires reading thousand-year-old books like a couple of thousand-year-old bookworms. Rebekah called this scenario a "vampire book club," which is why Rebekah is the best. And like any good book club meeting, it had a wonderful spread of hors d'oeuvres. In this case the food was a dead lady, but still. The main thing is that it was wonderful to see Klaus and Elijah just sort of quietly hanging out. I truly don't think we've ever seen that happen before! Love these guys.

2. Hayley's ice cream breakfast

As if I needed another reason to like Hayley, she eats ice cream for breakfast. Sure, there was a moment where she complained that the vampires weren't keeping fresh milk in the house (duh, they eat blood), but then Elijah walked in with some milk and made her cereal. Which was nice, but if I know Hayley, I'm pretty sure she just wanted milk to pour into her ice cream and make ice cream soup. Also, check out the counter behind her: Pringles! And not just Pringles, but sour cream and onion Pringles! The best and only kind. Stop complaining about these vampires' shopping lists, they're obviously buying the right items. But a pregnant lady should not have Pringles for breakfast. Pringles are for lunch and dinner.

3. These guys

Uh, excuse me? Since when are witches scary? Since now, because look at these witch thugs who kidnapped Sophie Deveraux! We never got to see their faces, not even after we learned they were working for Agnes. Man, they were great. They reminded me of Lord Zedd's putties from Power Rangers. Nobody punched one in the chest and made it explode, but hopefully that will happen in a future episode.

4. Thierry just chillin in The Garden

What's that line from Dirty Dancing? Nobody paves Thierry into a corner? I can't remember, but look, The Garden is one of the coolest things about The Originals. An underground perma-prison for misbehaving vampires! I liked that Marcel sort-of exhumed this guy because it means that Marcel isn't a dummy and he WILL get the answers even if it means reversing a previous decision. Also, you know, Thierry was kind of framed. Plus this show needs more non-Mikaelson hunks in general. But yeah, this image of his face popping out of the bricks really made me laugh. We've all been there right? I'm there now basically.

5. Davina's knot trick

I love the friendship currently forming between Davina and Elijah. In this episode he kept his promise to share pages from his mother's grimoire, but with the caveat that she had to master this knot trick before he'd let her choose the next spell. This was very smart! For one thing, it was Elijah's way of getting Davina to unbind Hayley from Sophie without hassling Davina too much. Even when Hayley fell super sick after Agnes poisoned Sophie, nobody pressured Davina to get to work; Elijah just trusted that she'd figure out the spell on her own. I liked that. Man, I really like Davina. Team Davina. (Oh, and weren't the special effects in this scene so good? It's rare to see straight-up CGI magic on the show like this, and I found the floating knot effect to be very seamless and borderline beautiful. Good job, computer wizards!)

6. Elijah and Hayley went swimming

This was not just because two very hot people got soaking wet and hugged each other. That helped, but the stakes felt real: Hayley was in serious risk of miscarrying and Elijah had to slow her heart by holding her. If that didn't set off fireworks in your ribcage then get back in your pod and go back to outer space, alien. Adding to the pathos, right when Hayley's bind to Sophie was lifted, she and Elijah shared a moment that Rebekah, of course, picked up on. And THAT informed Rebekah that if she'd ever assumed Elijah would want to leave town with her, it would not be happening now. Because of all the tiny invisible hearts floating up off of that swimming pool.

7. Hayley told off Sophie

Oh man, this was a tiny moment that was so necessary: Hayley ain't no victim, so when she forcefully threatened to kill Sophie for having bound her in the first place I clapped my hands. (Okay, my one hand and my hook.) Take back the night, Hayley! Also, guys, Sophie just gets worse and worse. I do not like Sophie. Even in this episode when Elijah and Klaus informed her that they'd be unbinding her from a soon-to-miscarry Hayley, she jumped up and shittily whined that then she wouldn't have leverage over them anymore. Uh, duh, loser. That is because you are a terrible witch and this show should not have terrible witches. Terrible witches are so 2009.

8. Elijah's badassery

Obviously the highlight of this episode was when Elijah promised Sophie that he wouldn't let Klaus kill Agnes, and then he showed up and murdered EVERYBODY himself. First he killed a couple of henchman. (The third one falling down from the ceiling after such a long time in the air? Amazing.) Then he straight-up MURDERED Agnes. All because these witches had messed with his family! (And future boo.) YES. This was the Elijah I'd been missing. The one who will destroy a vampire coffee shop with a handful of quarters. The one who will karate chop off a vampire's head. Don't get me wrong, I like chivalrous Elijah just fine, but it's excessively satisfying to see him reassert his general dominance from time to time. This guy knows what I'm talking about:

9. Klaus' smile

Look at how proud he was of his brother! To be fair, this episode suggested that Klaus may be concerned about Elijah's power and influence going forward, but for the time being he seemed pretty thrilled to share Elijah's goals. Klaus wasn't a huge element of this show, but pretty much every scene he had was electric. His tense showdown with Marcel over where Klaus has been sleeping. Or especially when he fulfilled his promise to Cami and informed her that he'd helped murder the witch responsible for hexing her brother. Cami's response was unexpectedly screechy; something about how Agnes' death would implicate her as a suspect or whatever. I mean, I think Cami had a larger moral issue with what had happened, and earlier confession scene with her uncle suggested that she the compulsion Klaus placed on her was wearing her down mentally. But if she really thinks she's going to declare war on Klaus, then I'm going to have to stop liking her. Back down, lady. He just did you a solid. (Which is teen slang for "a favor" just fyi.)

10. Rebekah keeps an apple in her purse

Rebekah decided to leave town now that Elijah's awake and when she tried to say goodbye to Marcel, he mouth-attacked her and then they hugged with their shirts off. But how amazing was it when Rebekah, a creature who eats blood, randomly got an apple out of her purse and offered it to Marcel, another creature who eats blood? I mean, what was that all about? Maybe instead of smoking cigarettes, vampires like to eat apples after sex? I have no idea. Anyway, in my opinion Claire Holt was this episode's MVP of acting because she gave a very stellar monologue about why she needs to leave (because duh, the Originals are too good for this place) and then warning Marcel that a kingdom means nothing if you have nobody to share it with. So sad, but also that is the thesis statement behind this whole show. Rebekah is the best. Did I say that already? Rebekah is the best. 

That being said, Rebekah needs to be careful about getting apples out of her purse after sex, because Marcel simply smelled the apple and immediately knew where the Mikaelsons were staying. At the former plantation where he'd been a slave! Which, rude. So by episode's end he showed up at their front door and kidnapped Hayley. Which, mega rude. So as much as Rebekah was hoping to leave town, one panicked call from Elijah and that plan was put on hold. And while I am NOT happy about Hayley being in danger, I truly hope this means all three Originals will be shifting into gear next week for a massive rescue mission. Hayley deserves it and so do we.

All in all "Fruit of the Poisoned Tree" was an elegantly written, forward-moving story with a minimum of flashbacks! Definitely one of the strongest episodes to date. This is a different show than what I expected, but I'm happy for what it turned out to be anyway. Keep it up, nonsentient multimillion dollar television franchise! Kudos.

QUESTIONS:

... Did the swimming pool scene make you feel tingly?

... Would you still watch The Originals if Rebekah left town for good?

... Should Elijah rip out more hearts in general?

... Is there an apple in your purse?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

360 Comments
Comments (360)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I am little bit behind with the originals, so I just watched this episode. Just needed to say that:
- The sibling banter we saw in this episode was THE REASON I was so excited about this show, so keep it coming...please.
- Badass Elijah rocks. But... "No one hurts my family and lives"... Yeah, what about Elena, Jeremy and Matt??? You still have some hearts to rip out, Elijah. Don't break your word.
Flag
I love the show and I liked this episode but no.. the swimming scene didn't give me tingles... That is Klaus' baby momma... that would be WORTH getting a dagger in the chest then no more Elijah.. And I happen to like Elijah so he needs to back off.
I'd still watch without Rebecca but I like her so I'd want her to stay.
If I were an immortal vamp there would be a lot of people dying so I'm not sure why there is so much drama on this show but it is a show so I welcome some of the drama.
Yes, Elijah should snatch out more hearts... The next will be Marcel's if he doesn't give Hayley back.
I took all the apples out of my purse when I realized they tell all of my secrets.
Flag
Would you still watch The Originals if Rebekah left town for good?

Yes, right now she hasn't really done anything beside argue with Klaus, babysit Hayley's, and flirt (now sleep) with Marcelle.
Flag
I just realized how "No one hurts my family and lives" is slightly undercut by the fact that Elijah basically chided Katherine for being mean to Elena after she and Jeremy JUST killed Kol, and he also let it go when the Mystic Falls Scooby gang killed Finn. As a fan, I have to hope they plan on explaining why Elijah doesn't seem to give a crap about the other two guys and only considers Klaus and Rebekah his family.
Flag
That witch went after an innocent baby. Kol was in the process of chopping off Jeremy's arm when he was killed. Family is important to both Elijah and Klaus. However, Elijah is much more empathetic and able to see beyond blindingly protecting family.
Flag
I agree, mostly.Kol and Finn earned their deaths. Kol was asking for it in a lot of ways, and Finn tried to murder the entire family-but I just want to hear Elijah explain that! I mean, come on! This is not a show that is shy about exposition!!
Flag
If I was a daylightring-less vampire, I'd definitely be scamming on those black suits.
Flag

. Elijah and Hayley went swimming

This was not just because two very hot people got soaking wet and hugged each other. That helped, but the stakes felt real: Hayley was in serious risk of miscarrying and Elijah had to slow her heart by holding her. If that didn't set off fireworks in your ribcage then get back in your pod and go back to outer space, alien. Adding to the pathos, right when Hayley's bind to Sophie was lifted, she and Elijah shared a moment that Rebekah, of course, picked up on. And THAT informed Rebekah that if she'd ever assumed Elijah would want to leave town with her, it would not be happening now. Because of all the tiny invisible hearts floating up off of that swimming pool.

7. Hayley told off Sophie

Oh man, this was a tiny moment that was so necessary: Hayley ain't no victim, so when she forcefully threatened to kill Sophie for having bound her in the first place I clapped my hands. (Okay, my one hand and my hook.) Take back the night, Hayley! Also, guys, Sophie just gets worse and worse. I do not like Sophie. Even in this episode when Elijah and Klaus informed her that they'd be unbinding her from a soon-to-miscarry Hayley, she jumped up and shittily whined that then she wouldn't have leverage over them anymore. Uh, duh, loser. That is because you are a terrible witch and this show should not have terrible witches. Terrible witches are so 2009.

More+
Flag
and this one

2. Hayley's ice cream breakfast

As if I needed another reason to like Hayley, she eats ice cream for breakfast. Sure, there was a moment where she complained that the vampires weren't keeping fresh milk in the house (duh, they eat blood), but then Elijah walked in with some milk and made her cereal. Which was nice, but if I know Hayley, I'm pretty sure she just wanted milk to pour into her ice cream and make ice cream soup. Also, check out the counter behind her: Pringles! And not just Pringles, but sour cream and onion Pringles! The best and only kind. Stop complaining about these vampires' shopping lists, they're obviously buying the right items. But a pregnant lady should not have Pringles for breakfast. Pringles are for lunch and dinner.

Flag
i loved this scene

Flag
This show is so freaking good right now, wiping the floor with tvd.

Joseph's delivery was perfection this week, especially when he said 'I didn't come here to join you,' in that high voice, still lolling.

...and the smile, oh god yes. Brotherly pride looks from klaus are almost as good as adoring glances at Caroline.

And just when we thought Elijah couldn't get any better, he starts ripping hearts out again and gets a wet shirt.

I love everything, keep kicking tvd's butt show!
Flag
Did the swimming pool scene make you feel tingly? Yes. So much.
... Would you still watch The Originals if Rebekah left town for good? Yes. But i'd be very grumpy. Rebekah is cool. Like, in a non-annoying way.
... Should Elijah rip out more hearts in general? YES.
... Is there an apple in your purse? A dog ate my purse. A random dog. On the street.
I did not have an apple in my purse then, either.

Flag
The show is really getting great....every episode is a improvement and storylines are good as well
Flag
OMG I laughed the entire time that I read that just waiting for the swimming pool scene to be mentioned as I knew that a discerning man such as Price would invariably have to. The swimming pool scene was so awesome & yes, definite tingles were given. But I mean who does that? We have to lower that fever, let's all get into the swimming pool in our clothes. That's so contrived and yet, I know they did it for the sexiness value. I just know that in the 90's they would've just gotten a bunch of ice and put her in the bathtub and then they would have shared a tender moment while Elijah held Hayley's hand, but I'm grateful for the 2010's and the extra sexiness, that Elijah, though, wow, very few actors can pull off being so intense and having it make them more sexy but moving on...

Yes, I would, she'd just probably pop back up on Mystic Falls and start banging Matta again, if he's himself.

His badassery is quite a thrill to see. So yes, he should rip out more hearts, just not of anyone nice or good.

LOL, I'm not telling you Price...

More+
Flag
Damnit, I meant "in" Mystic Falls. And Matt not "Matta" Someone will probably read that & be like who's Matta? Has she actually watched TVD? LOL
Flag
Why is no one else referring to Elijah's new super power!? HE CAN PRODUCE MILK FROM THIN AIR!!! Where did that milk come from!? Did he pull it out of a cupboard!? Did he pull it out of Rebekah's purse!? This Milk thing is one of his Vampowers I had been previously unaware of.

So glad Marcel decided to exhume Tierry. Putting him in the garden was the worst thing Marcel did on the show, and the only moment where I really didn't like him as a character. Sadly, this probably means the Lord of the Rings fan geeky gay Vampire guy will probably either end up dead or in the garden, which sucks because he was kinda funny being a noob-pire. Incidentally, is he actually gay? or did Marcel just refer to him as "the gay best friend" in the episode where he turned him to be insulting? I haven't seen any indication that he's gay otherwise. But I guess he was non sexual friends with the hot bitchy dead girl so yeah..he's probably gay.

Flag
The ten best things - didn't think it would work cause, ya know, less recap to laugh at but I loved it! You captured all the important stuff (aka Klaus' smile and Rebekah's apple purse). I definitely DO NOT want Rebekah to leave - where's she gonna go? Back to Matt "I'm now a yammerer" Donovan? The chemistry between her and Marcel is hotter than Hayley's blood pressure or whatever (why was she in the pool again?). She needs a reason to stay. Hayley being kidnapped will bring her back for the next episode but we need something long-term like a romance with the 'apple' of her eye or some kind of spell that binds her there.
Flag
As with the loss of the fantastic Klaus/Caroline dynamic, I'm really aching over the loss of the very sweet Rebekah/Matt situation. Marcel doesn't deserve to waste another second of Rebekah's time, and I'm already completely tired of watching it happen.
Flag
Ha! Actually, there IS an apple in my purse! I bring one to work every day!

Felt tingles in the swimming pool scene but also knots because they're making it seem that Klaus is jealous of Elijah's crush on Haley and we already have a brother love triangle on TVD so I just groaned:0(

LOVED the return of badass Elijah! I'll take more too! I like combo of gentleman/badass! Keep it up!

I'd still watch without Rebecca. It'd be harder but Elijah helps. He was my main draw to watch the show:-)
Flag
The tagline of this show should be 'Witches be bitches (except maybe Davina)'
Flag
I am excited to see how the writers are going to navigate the "she's your brother's baby-mama" situation and see how it is going to affect the Mikaelson family dynamics. Klaus is insanely possessive of his siblings and demands absolute loyalty from them. "It's back in the box with you" if they don't comply. I'm excited to see what he's going to do next. It's personal growth time for you Klaus, your move. Just please don't hurt Hayley.

I'd love for Elijah and Hayley's relationship to develop into something concrete. I know they can be EPIC. Plus, it's a wealth of complicated, intricate, emotional stories to be gleaned here. So, keeping my fingers crossed.
Flag
"Klaus is insanely possessive of his siblings and demands absolute loyalty from them.." yeah.. that´s why I´m super terrified of the idea Klaus having a baby.. THIS would be the worst tyrant father ever.. angry, labile and probably will put his baby in coffin everytime it doesn´t behave the exact way he wants. Ugh. And can you imagine his child in puberty? It will spent the whole time in a coffin..that´s for sure.
Flag
"And can you imagine his child in puberty? It will spent the whole time in a coffin..that´s for sure."

Veronikamdov, what you're saying is a definite possibility but the way you phrased it is funny as hell. I laughed so hard I nearly had tears in my eyes. :)

As for the baby, considering her heritage she just might be more powerful than all the originals combined. If this is the case then forget the outside threats as Klaus has shown himself time and again to be jealous of anyone who has something he wants for himself. If he can't have something or control something he destroys it.

Poor baby.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Yes, I felt so bad for that baby when Hayley said she is a girl. We all know just how controlling Klaus is especially with the women in is life. He dictated his sister's love-life the moment he had the power to. He either killed her love interests or put her in a coffin for 50+ years. That poor kid.
Flag
Rebekah is not allowed to leave. And cool, eloquent Elijah is great, which makes it even better when he goes full badass.
Flag
It's so great because he doesn't use threats and intimidation like Klaus, which come to think of it, I'm not sure if that makes me feel better about him or worse... Oh well, I'll continue to enjoy the vampire goodness anyway.
Flag
My guess with the apple is that it's representative of the original sin. So many comparisons could be made in relation to that, particularly in the still forbidden possibility of romance between them. That's my take, anyway. But no, I don't carry an apple in my purse.

Also, I may be completely in love with Elijah now? That scene in the church... amazing.
Flag
Taking scenes both from VD and TO, the Elijah killing scene is the best to date. Klaus can be, and often are, a bad ass. But Elijah really shows what will happen if you anger one of the originals in that scene. Absolutely the best episode so far, and not only for that scene.
Flag
You should really put the 'T' in TVD...
Flag
Rebekkah will never leave, she will protect her family against Marcel.

Elijah killing Agnes... wwooww the best I've seen so far.

I hate Terry.
Flag

Also, sometimes you just gotta love it when an original finds a way to break their word w/o actually breaking it. :D
Flag
They are like dealing with Genies.
Flag
My 2 personal favorites of course, were Elijah going into Badass mode, and Klaus' smile afterward.
Flag
Awesome review, Price. It really made my day.

Two things;

1. The first scene indicated to me that Klaus has caught on to Elijah's interests in Hayley. I think Klaus is accessing the situation and will want to catch them in the act before he goes on a rampage, which he will, it's only a matter of time.

Klaus proved in TVD that he has issues with sharing his toys and I'm sure he will work himself up for a full blown temper-tantrum at some point.

I think Rebeka figured out there was something more than just an uncle looking out for his nieces welfare, during the pool scene - and she knows better than anyone how territorial her brother Klaus can be. I feel like she would never spill on Elijah, but I think at some point she will warn Elijah to be careful.

2. Does no one else think that Rebeka gave Marcel the apple as a clue on purpose? She knew Marcel would figure it out. Rebeka (who I adore) spent most of the episode going, 'Bye, I'm leaving, see ya, don't miss me too much, you can't stop me leaving, honest, i'm really going this time, i'm all about freedom now'. I personally feel like in order to save face she created a situation that required her to stay and help. She loves playing 'clean up' and 'babysitter' despite how much she protests - she just wants to be needed.

Plus Rebeka has proved in the past that she is not above messing with peoples heads and creating a little drama. She's a gazillion years old and is no longer on the run from her father, i think it's safe to say that the girl is bored!
More+
Flag
I love Elijah. That is all.
Flag
:) vampire book club. I liked the pool scene and the developing relationship with Elijah and Haley it not going to fast it natural, also GO ELIJAH take charge how proud was klaus when Elijah started ripping out hearts love it brotherly bonding. Camille finally showed some spunk about time, love this episode love this show. Love klaus.
Flag
I got introduced to TVD this summer (far too late) and watched all 4 seasons in a week, so everything is still fresh and new to me. I love the show! I think people need to stop contrasting the two shows and put things in perspective. I watch a lot of other shows such as Reign and TTP, but TO is easily my most anticipated of the week. I think the plots are really coming together and the cast is fantastic!

Also Price your reviews are incredible, I've read this one several times!
Flag
I honestly don't know whether I'm rooting for Klaus/Hayley or Elijah/Hayley anymore. I started out favoring H/E but now I'm just so sick of Cami (am I the only one who thinks that she kinda sucks?) and I just want Klaus to move on!
Flag
Is it me or does Phoebe Tonkin's accent come through more on this show then it did on Secret Circle..
Flag
I got worried for a minute that Rebekah was actually leaving!
Flag
I think it would be ok if she bounced back and forth between this and TVD.. .I'd like to see her reaction when she realizes that she had a 3some with Katherine's daughter lol
Flag
don't you ever be!!! she is the one keeping the balance of TO...Rebekah all the way!!!
Flag
This is my only real comment....remember when The Vampire Diaries was really really good..I kind of feel like, the Originals is somehow the grown ups version of The Vampire Diaries. You know how they used to have kid version of grown up shows they would run on Saturday mornings? Am I making that up?

Also, I don't think Marcel actually kidnapped Hayley, who, I am guessing between Elijah and Klaus they realized the smartest thing the Salvatores did was, when she was alive, put their house in Elena's name so they could control entry. I assume Elijah and Klaus did the same think with this house, you know, put it Hayley's name. And then I am guessing she ran hoping that the wolves out there would protect her. Or she turned into whatever I think she is turning into, but Marcel wasn't able to get into the house.
Flag
- sure, when Hayley wasnt yelling in pain
- yes. Team Klaus here!
- He always had amazing killing scenes, even when he was in TVD and now TO. And it happens so rarely. So yeah. Give us more heart ripping scenes
- sure. An apple a day keeps the (female) doctors away right?!

Flag
Love you Price! thanks for the wonderful pics recap
Flag
Staff
Thx bb
Flag
PRICE RESPONDS TO COMMENTS??? This is a magical comment board this week... Please Price, interact with us more often.... we adore you and hang onto your every word...
Flag
Teehehe, what did I say about Elijah and Hayley's chemistry, hmmm? This episode was just everything I expected and hoped for after last week, and I am really looking forward to see how that particular plot line will develop. Did you notice Klaus' look at the beginning, when Hayley casually passed the living room and a few seconds ago Elijah followed after her? Awww!
About Marcel - he is more annoying with every episode, so there's an ascending gradation right there. I'm sorry but I just can't feel him as the "villain" in this show - all I see is a power-hungry guy ruled by compensatory mechanisms, who's desperately trying to prove something to the others and himself, but can't quite achieve that, no matter how much he tries. He has no natural air of authority, nor even one single awe-inspiring bone in his body, which is a must for the role of the one who rules an "empire". I can't take him seriously. Maybe except when he seriously annoys me, then I just blow a raspberry at the screen and hope they will switch the screen to Hayley and Elijah.
Also, LOVED Elijah's badassery, Klaus and I were sporting the very same foolish smile, full of pride and drooling over Elijah. Ok, that last part was probably just me. Did I mention I like Elijah? And that swimming pool scene...I was biting my blanket rim throughout it, in futile attempts to suffocate yet another "AWwwww" sound, because it was very late at night while I was watching the episode. More of those moments, please!!!

Also, somebody please tell Rebeccah how great and loved she is!!! I simply can't fathom HOW is it that anybody around her allows her to feel so unwanted and alone! If I was there, she would've been my bff, and I would have made sure to tell her so! Poor Becks, I wish I could hug her!
More+
Flag
I will go against popular belief and say that I do not like that show more than TVD and I don't think it is possible to compare a show that is in its 5th season and a show that is in it's very first. Of course everything feels fresh. Except, I don't really think it does. A weird pregnancy with creepy assholish witches... Sounds like a supernatural Days of Our Lives. And while I enjoy The Originals, I honestly don't understand the story they want to say. Klaus came to get his city back, but he has a connection with a blonde chick and he whores his sister every time he can? I don't know.

I'm not saying that TVD's necessary better now but comparing both shows right now does not seem fair, considering it turns out being two entirely different universes. Also, TVD is doing much much better since The Originals have left town. I'm just saying.
Flag
Staff
I agree that it's not really fair to compare them, so it makes me feel weird when I see people instantly proclaiming TO to be better than TVD. Maybe if we're only comparing the first five episodes of each series, I could maybe see that. But I think I cared more about the side characters on TVD more at first, whereas these side characters had rocky introductions. Still though, I'm very excited about the directions both shows are currently headed, so I feel pretty lucky as a TV viewer in general.
Flag
When I said that TO is a better show then TVD, I meant comparing this season of TVD with TO. Right now, The Originals is more interesting then The Vampire Diaries.
S1 of The Originals vs S5 of The Vampire Diaries.
Not the first 5 episodes of S1 TVD against first 5 of TO.

To me, TO is currently better then this season of TVD (Season 5).
The main reason why I'm so frustrated with TVD is that it's had 5 years to grow as a show and somehow all it's managed to do is a 360. It's back to Salvatore shenanigans and the love triangle.
The only silver lining is that they chose to bring back Katherine as a main character this season, which is the only interesting plotline on the show right now.
I can't even begin to express how much I hate the fact that a whole season was wasted on the awful "the cure" plotline and that the Silas storyline turned into such an uneventful yawn-fest.
Season 4 should have been about character growth but unfortunately - none of them did. In fact some of the characters actually devolved and that should never happen so late into a TV series. Especially when it comes to the shows protagonists.
Unless you're intentionally making the hero into the antagonist like Breaking Bad did (which again, was a transformation not a devolution), it just shouldn't happen - ever!

More +
Flag
The fact that you are frustrated with TVD is understandable. But my main issue is that it makes no sense to compare a show in its fifth season with a show in its first. TO feels fresher than TVD and it's normal: it is fresh and new! We haven't felt fed up yet since we have a new town, a new plot, so many new characters and The Originals are basically acting OOC compared to how they were in TVD. To me, in season 1, TVD was already far better than TO. Damon had already been put down, Vicki was taken care of and the show had gotten rid of her, and characters were actually reacting and taking matters into their own hands. I miss that. And I like TO (I honestly don't really know why). But I just don't think it makes as much sense as TVD made for two seasons and the first 9 episodes of season 3. I'll always regret that the producers got too greedy by then and decided to keep Klaus when they had initially planned on killing him by the end of season 3. I think the show would have been much better and kept its quality and I really liked that TVD was willing to kill off characters for the sake of the story and character development.

Anyway. I digress: I vote for only judging the show on its own and not compared to its mother-show. Just my humble opinion of course.
More +
Flag
Crap, I can't answer you any longer the thread is too long. But, I just wanted to say: no, I don't think that TO is better than TVD right now. I enjoy way more watching TVD despite its flaws, this season is really funny (even though it lacks a main focus and is sort of all over the place) and I am so relieved the Originals have left. TO is fun, but I don't understand half of the motivations of anyone or why the hell Klaus would want a baby when he's himself immortal or why he would want to rule New Orleans. That stains the show a lot for me, but I still watch it and (sort of?) enjoy it.
Flag
" But I just don't think it makes as much sense as TVD made for two seasons and the first 9 episodes of season 3. I'll always regret that the producers got too greedy by then and decided to keep Klaus when they had initially planned on killing him by the end of season 3."

I especially agree with this paragraph. In my opinion TVD was at its best then too. If anything Klaus and his shenanigans actually hurt the story on TVD. Once Klaus & his family became the central focus is when the show went downhill. So, I'm glad that he's no longer tainting TVD. I completely disagree with Price when he puts down the first half of S1 of TVD (to me TVD was great from the 1st episode) or when he says that the originals were the best thing about TVD - because they weren't. If anything, they kinda ruined TVD for me.
Flag
I can't really disagree with anything you said. Yes TVD was much better in S1 then TO. That is exactly why I can't even compare TO with TVD S1 or even the first 5-7 episodes of TVD. However, I don't think it's far-fetched or unrealistic to compare a spin-off to its source. It's only logical. So for the sake of comparing TO to TVD? No it's not better then TVD was when it was at this stage. But it is better then TVD right now, which you seem to agree with, by also saying that TVD is currently frustrating.

So we are both basically talking about pretty much the same thing.
Flag
I think the problem is that TVD is going through a stagnant period.. no real big bad, except Silas, but really, he has Stefan's baby face so who is really scared of him. Caroline is not really getting juicy story lines (do not mistake this for me not wanting to die for her when she threatened Tyler last week..). And I don't even want to start with Bonnie and Jeremy. The "love triangle" is old and the only real reason I still watch ASAP is to see Katherine.
TO has the hope that new characters will amplify the ones we already know and love, and bringing more Elijah to the mix is paying off!!
Flag
I kind of forgot that this show is 5 episodes long. I see your point. Probably some of us forgot because even if the show is new, most of the character are not, and we know most of their personalities and behaviors. I still like TVD, but I don't agree with the show direction thing, but to be fair, haven't read the books, IDK if they're on the right track or took a whole new direction on this season. Nice to see you doing reviews here again Price!
Flag
Exactly. I still have fun watching the show. I just don't really have a favorite, they ended up being two entirely different stories and shows. Neither TO nor TVD have mentionned the others since the spin-off (except Tyler, maybe, but he hasn't been a TVD character in a while at that point). It's like noone noticed/remembers that they have known each other and split ways. And I appreciate that. I'm just annoyed at reading "TVD's worse than TO" and stuff. And TVD is still very good after 5 seasons. Let's see if TO can get to that point. Or, you know, just past a first season.
Flag
The Originals is not even a spin off or just the mature version of TVD it is it's own show with it's own history. I would love to know your expectations from the show because I did not expect it was that good and I am also wondering what you mean by bad acting. Aren't the bad actors at TVD smoldering into the camera for teen fan mail?
The Originals is a pretty good show, the main cast is pretty damn well chosen in my opinion and the story line is way more mature as TVD will ever be.
Flag
I am enjoying this show wayy more than TVD. I actually don't even know why I still watch TVD, habit maybe?
I would not watch if Rebekah left the show for too long, if she needs to go back to visit Mystic Falls, that's cool. And Elijah should not rip out hearts too often because he is the honorable original, he only engages in violence when his family in endangered or he feels he needs to act to correct an injustice. I like his measured, deliberate approach, it should stay that way. The swimming pool scene didn't do much for me but I def was feeling the cereal scene..so adorable.
Flag
nobody eats blood.. they drink it.. just saying..
Flag
in my country, we actually eat it - it dries pretty fast and it's like eating some kind of meat... are we the only ones?
Flag
Poor old.. err young vegetarian.. so don't have a damn clue.. :P
Flag
here too! only it's around Xmas time...some sort of pudding of pork blood (dried), but I can assure you, it's not for every stomach!
Flag
In Ireland we eat them on a regular basis, black and white puddings. Didn't realise that they were made of blood for years!
Flag
Staff
Whoa
Flag
I actually much prefer this show to TVD. I guess it depends what you want, but I find Klaus, Elijah and Rebecca far more interesting and amusing than Stephan, Damon and Elena. It may be because I could not care less who ends up with Elena, though.
Of course, who knows whether The Originals will be able to sustain a strong full season?
Flag
Staff
They were my favorite characters on TVD also.
Flag
Not sure what you were expecting with The Originals, Price, but I'm quite enjoying it. This season of The Vampire Diaries has been strong thus far as well, but I'm just enjoying The Originals more so if purely because I don't overly dislike any of the characters in The Originals. As for The Vampire Diaries, I could do without plots involving Matt, Bonnie, Jeremy and Tyler, so yeah, The Originals is better for me.

I may not like Sophie, but geez is it hard not to feel sympathetic towards her character. She's basically trying to undo her past mistakes and keep her people alive, which is just great motivation for a villain compared to most, because it's a real human aspect.

I'm glad Elijah killed Agnes, he had no reason not to after she tried to kill Hayley's unborn child.

Not sure I'm interested in all of the potential relationships and love triangles this early on in the series. With Elijah, Hayley, Klaus, Camille, Marcel, Rebekah (oh, and that one time Marcel and Sophie slept together) I think the show's exhausting all their potential relationship too early on, although I'm definitely shipping Elijah and Hayley.

Mainly, though, I'm just hoping the serious keeps up the pace it's had thus far.
More+
Flag
Staff
I've talked about my expectations in previous recaps. In short, this world of Marcel's "kingdom" is too small-beans for these characters. They should be building legit empires, not wallowing in dumb nostalgia for some place they lived in for a couple decades. Putting that aside, the show's doing a good job of adding shades of nuance to everything, so fine. It works.
Flag
Sorry, I should pay closer attention, I do recall reading you say that several times previously. And cool pick up that Rebekah basically said the same thing to Marcel in this episode, that The Originals are worth more than New Orleans...

But, yeah, like I said, I'm enjoying it, the stakes of them building more expensive empires might just be too much for television to convey (although I suppose not on Game of Thrones), but this is The CW and The Originals is doing a mighty fine job in making me believes the stakes are important enough for these characters.
Flag
Staff
I think you're probably right. My fantasy spin-off of The Originals had them taking over New York or Washington DC or something, and that's probably impossible to do on a CW budget. And YES I loved when Rebekah said that to Marcel. I nearly clapped.
Flag
I feel you. This so called "Kingdom" is bogus. All it really seems to be is that Klaus is jealous of Marcel's success, which is pretty measly compared to what Klaus and Co. could and should be accomplishing. It's also a little bit hard to swallow that Klaus gets so hung up over something as trivial as having a small network of Vampire minions. Klaus should have that in every city in the country - if not in every city in the world by now.
Instead, the show is going for showing us that even though they're the oldest and most powerful Vampires on the planet, they're really just a screwed up family with petty drama that they should've resolved centuries ago.

So, I get what you mean when you say that the show isn't and probably never will be what you expected from a show based on the worlds first, oldest, richest, 100% immortal indestructible Vampires who can compel both humans & Vampires. *Sigh* At least it's better then that other Vampire show. J/K ;-) not really
Flag
who knows though! Maybe they will move to bigger cities in the seasons to come. But as for the first season I think New Orelans fits. Its not like they are taking over Hicksville, USA.
Flag
Totally agree. The New Orleans battle is too small for the oldest vampires in history. The baby hybrid might end up being a strong enough piece for these vampires, but the current setting is more about the witches than the originals themselves.
Flag
I'm confused...what about it makes it not what you'd hoped it would be?
Flag
Staff
The setting and premise.
Flag
what setting(s) and/or premise(s) would have been better? I'm honestly asking (cause I'm no writer).
Flag
I agree. They are ancient filthy-rich Vampires and both the setting and the premise are too weak.
Had Kevin Williamson been involved, this show would've been the show it's supposed to be. It's just like how TVD lost its appeal once Julie took charge.
Flag
I like that Elijah asserted his big brother role and took control. Klaus was a little petulant about being told what to do, but the vampire book club scene and the siblings polite sparring with each other was precious. I think the story is leading toward a confrontation between the brothers over Haley. After all it would not be the first time that the brothers quarreled over a woman (Tatiana). I'm glad Rebekah is staying.
Flag
Why do I get the feeling that Price isnt really enjoying The Originals? Its wierd because at the moment I am enjoying it more than TVD.
Flag
Staff
I am. I think TVD has the advantage of several seasons of emotional investment. But also there is a large swathe of TVD fanbase that is irrationally angry at TVD for several reasons and have started to declare that TO is better. It isn't, at least not yet.
Flag
You are very right, my dismissal of TVD has been so irrational after years of love, but I think that I blame TVD for not being able to focus entire story lines on my favourite character; Klaus and Rebekah. I feel I don't need TVD as much because I have my faves somewhere else, and I hate that.
Flag
I can already see how my future with this show is going to turn out. Just like TVD, just like how I fell in love with Bonnie's character (a person not many people liked) I'll fall in love with Cami's character and be a lone soldier. I still think that slap was gold.
TVD is not keeping up with the fresh quality this show has maintained the past two weeks. Sooo, disagreeing with you on that, Price.
Flag
Staff
Cami is already better than Bonnie and it's obvious the writers are already giving her more to do than Bonnie ever had. "Fresh quality"? TO is fresh because it's new, but the quality is not yet up to TVD's current standards and certainly not its high watermark of Season 3 (not coincidentally when the Originals were first introduced). But if we were comparing the first 5 episodes of TO to TVD, then for sure TO is better.
Flag
Yeah, true, but just in my opinion TVD hasn't been entertaining lately.
Flag
Haley and Elijah absolutely sizzled in this episode, and I actually really like the idea of them together, particularly because they aren't trying to make it into a triangle with Klaus having feelings for her, its obvious they are purely platonic.
Flag
I just hope they don't go down the route and create another love triangle drama or any love drama for that matter. It is a show about a war for power.. the writers should leave it with that in order to stay on their own feet far away from TVD
Flag
it all points out that is what they are doing - although Klaus doesn't have a romantic interest so far, it will probably become that way later on, as she will have her baby. So there you have it again, good brother, bad brother, pretty girl. But this one talks a lot less!
Flag
I hope they don't do that!
Flag
Also Elijah on a killing spree - suprisingly hot!
Flag
Great episode! The swimming pool scene did make me tingly... Great chemistry between Haley and Elijah. Rebekah MUST stay!!! Elijah rips out hearts very, very well... He should definitely do it again soon. I hate apples, never have them in my purse.
Flag
What are you talking about, Price?? I'm loving this show so much right now. I find it way more interesting and exciting than TVD currently, and I hope it stays that way.
PS: Haley is the best pregnant lady ever.
Flag
Staff
I'm talking about my impressions of The Originals from week to week. That's what these recaps are.
Flag
I guess I didn't exactly make myself clear, but I love your recaps and I always will and I understand your expectations that you've stated in previous recaps and other comments. But I also think that the combination of a fresh setting, great characters, and an awesome atmosphere is what makes TO so good. Just my two cents, I completely respect your opinions and have no doubt you know more about TV than I do.
Flag
I wish we got the companion series (not spin-off) they were originally talking about in 2010 that involved Williamson and Plec. Am I the only one who remembers this?

If you recently heard the potential companion series to The Vampire Diaries exec producers Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec are in the early stages of developing described as “The X-Files meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” you may be imagining Alaric teaching history at a new high school. “That’s exactly what the show is not,” Williamson tells EW.... “That was the wrong characterization. I was like, ‘What is Buffy meets The X-Files?’ They’re completely at odds tonally. It’s neither. It’s set on a college campus. There’s a little bit of some paranormal investigation involved, but it’s more about the characters. It’s more about what Julie and I like to do, which is create a world of people. A young girl goes to college, and it turns out there’s a lot more going on.”That’s all he wants to give away for now. “Warner Bros. doesn’t like us to talk about shows that may never happen,” he says, laughing again. “We don’t know if we’ll get it written in time, or if this will be for this year, next year…. But it’s just something we’re both very passionate about because we’ve got this whole world and this whole sort of mythology about this girl and this journey that she takes. It’s full of scary, horrible murder and surprises, and all the twists and turns that we love to do, but once again it is a story about epic love. That’s what we’re about here at The Vampire Diaries. And that’s sort of why you call it a ‘companion piece,’ is because you will see those similarities in the show. You know, a bunch of fun characters that you can visit every week and watch them go through all these scary, twisty story lines, but it all leads to some greater story about epic and tragic love.”

THAT's what we need! Price, you have to use your vast influence, celebrity and connections to make this happen. Or at the very least, send Eaddy Mays (Mrs. Argent on Teen Wolf) and her infamous pencil sharpener to the CW executive office as a veiled threat if it doesn't happen!

More+
Flag
Staff
Haha I have no influence. But yes, if you want some trivia, Kevin Williamson was more or less forced to work on The Secret Circle after this spin-off didn't move forward and he wasn't thrilled about it.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members