A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

The Originals S01E22: "From a Cradle to a Grave"

Oh, right, that's what crying feels like, cool, I had almost forgotten. Man, this episode.

This being the season finale and all, maybe we should start at the beginning? Do you know that thing that happens when something is SUCH a sure bet that it can't help but disappoint? Like, either not enough effort was put into it or it simply didn't reach the expectations that tend to accompany a sure bet? In retrospect that seems to be what happened with The Originals' backdoor pilot. I don't think anybody doubted that the Mikaelsons could front their own show (and some of us had been openly fantasizing about this concept since they overtook Season 3 of The Vampire Diaries through sheer force of personality), but the resulting episode just didn't feel fully baked for whatever reason. My guess is that the legit geniuses behind TVD already had a full plate figuring out how to resolve Season 4's ancient wizard drama and that stress was compounded by how impossible it can be to work within a network's gauntlet of notes and directives. But yeah: The Mikaelsons hanging around a 6-block tourist trap with barmaids and weak witches and karaoke-singing gang leaders felt about as underwhelming as possible considering these were highly cultured, one thousand-year-old immortals we were dealing with. Remember Klaus' speech to Caroline about the wondrous world of art and culture? Or the literal castle that Elijah had once romanced Katherine in? What on earth were these titans doing in the puke-filled gutters and tchotchke-choked kiosks of Bourbon Street? As it turned out, like the writers who created them, these characters would quickly find their way.

This is the story of how a sure thing became a slight disappointment became a rousing success: The Originals knew how to course correct. It not only identified and eliminated its weaknesses (ahem, Sophie), it managed to take IRL dilemmas (Claire Holt's impending departure) and integrate them into the show with extremely effective and affecting storytelling. There was a bravery on display here that felt revelatory for a baby show. What was once confusing or unmotivated felt suddenly captivating. Peripheral characters who once made no sense were now instrumental in the lives of our heroes. So yeah, it wasn't long before this show stopped feeling like a freshman season and it started feeling like it had been on the air for years.

And that brings us up to the first season's absolutely tremendous finale. Guys, it was good. You know, if by "good" you mean "gasp-sob inducing." Which I do.

"From a Cradle To a Grave" was huge in all the ways the backdoor pilot was not. The sets were bigger and more lavish, the roster of characters deeper and more purposeful, and the emotions basically apocalyptic. The cold open alone felt like a particularly intense art film. A flashback of Hayley and Klaus getting heart-warmingly parental, then Hayley reading a letter to her unborn child, and it was all intercut with Hayley writhing around on the church altar as witches prepared to steal her child. And that was BEFORE Klaus busted in and found himself slammed against the church wall so he could watch in agony as his child was born and then Hayley was MURDERED. I mean, that whole segment was A LOT. Just a lot for the characters to handle, yeah, but even more for US to handle.

After the witches left with the baby, Elijah arrived to find Klaus cradling Hayley's dead body and he took the opportunity to scream in Klaus' face, as was his right, but it wasn't really helping if we're being honest. Later they regrouped a bit and went to the cemetery to stop the impending baby-sacrifice, but found themselves lost in a magical spell that made the cemetery miles-wide. Elijah made a truly heartbreaking speech about how he'd let Hayley into his heart and now he was broken. Then guess who showed up? Hayley. She just sorta strolled in like it was NBD. Turned out the baby blood in her system resurrected her as a hybrid in transition! Not only that, but her maternal instinct had some serious psychic vibes so she led the boys directly to the witches. They were momentarily stopped in their tracks by a gang of witch ghosts, but after throwing a potted plant and a fence post and also a ninja star, the witches were all murdered! Especially Monique, who was the worst. At that point I was like, whew, what a good finale. But then I looked at the clock and we were only 25 minutes into the episode? Madness. Anyway, then Marcel ran up and snatched the baby and ran away again.

As it turned out, Marcel was still dying from Klaus' bite and he needed Klaus' blood to survive, so that's why he showed up with the ninja star to save the day but also take the baby. Klaus was in a super good mood and gladly gave his blood to Marcel (in another knee-weakeningly emotional moment). Meanwhile Josh had already been cured by Davina after she levitated all of Klaus' dirty blood off the asphalt and put it in an empty Hurricane cup for him. The other vampires died, though. There was essentially a vampire genocide in this episode, sorry guys. Speaking of blood, in order for Hayley to continue her transition into a hybrid she had to drink the blood of her own child! That was insane. I was wondering if the show would really go there, but it definitely went there. I never thought I'd live to see the day when I'd see a newborn baby's thumb pricked by a needle, but now I have. (And that's to say nothing of the actual dead-baby-in-a-cardboard-box that showed up later).

But when we and also the future scholars of television look back at this episode we and they will only talk about THE SCENE. You know the scene. Okay, so: Hayley and Klaus and Elijah decided that the only way to protect the child from the witches (specifically Esther, who it turned out was behind the ancestors' wish to kill the baby) was to fake her death and then send her away and pretend to mourn. And then, as we were treated to heartbreaking images of Hayley and Elijah breaking down in public over the ostensibly slain baby we heard a conversation between Klaus and Elijah in which they wondered who could possibly look after their child in their absence? And then THIS SCENE happened:

YES. Yes. Yes. Yes.

This wasn't so much a surprise twist as it was a cathartic, impossibly moving moment that crystallized everything we love about this show, Rebekah, Claire Holt, the writers, just everything. Yes, The Originals will survive without Rebekah, but bringing her back for this explicit purpose both honored her and permanently enmeshed her presence into the show even when we won't see her. Man, I don't know what to tell you except that I've rarely ever had such a viscerally powerful reaction to a piece of entertainment like this. I think the last time I was this overcome was maybe during the New Caprica rescue scene in Battlestar Galactica, or certain parts of Dancer in the Dark, or maybe the finale of Big Fish. This scene just floored me, is what I'm trying to say. Even if Rebekah had remained silent I would have been ruined. But then Klaus made that speech, that angry and loving speech to his sleeping daughter while Rebekah looked on full of emotion. Then he gave that one thousand-year-old toy of Rebekah's back to her. And then he revealed that the baby's name was Hope and then kissed Rebekah's forehead. I'm crying as I type this, no lie. It's honestly a relief to know that I have normal human emotions. Thanks for the reminder, The Originals! Because wow.

Nothing else seems as important as that scene, but more stuff did happen in this episode! Uh, for one thing, Davina legit resurrected Mikael! But she's a clever girl so she created a bracelet that allows her to control him like a puppet, which is AMAZING. (That moment where she prevented him from harming Klaus and his baby was so subtle and wonderful). Meanwhile Klaus had to lie to a devastated Cami about his daughter's death and then he, in a very true sense, banished Cami from his life out of concern for her welfare. Heartbreaking. The werewolves were out in the street openly plotting about whatever. And then that final twist: Esther REBORN! And not just Esther, but one of her children also. But since they were body-hopping into strangers, it wasn't clear if it was Finn or Kol. But still: Both Esther AND Mikael and another Original are back in action. That's a pretty tantalizing tease for next season in my opinion. More Originals!

I am still thinking about that Rebekah moment, though. So much of its power was in how it took advantage of our general love for Rebekah (and Claire Holt) and just when we'd finally gotten over the fact that she wouldn't be around anymore. But it also honored that character while also providing an elegant out for the whole baby plotline. Because let's face it, this was never going to be a show with a baby to raise. I'd wondered how The Originals would solve the issue of getting rid of the baby without being too depressing and guess what? It figured out the absolute best way to do it. See what I'm saying about how good this show is at getting itself out of narrative corners? It is the best maybe. Man, I just. I'm going to be thinking about that scene for a while.

The Originals' first season wasn't without flaws, but it's astounding for what it achieved overall. Just so many high points, with its finale the highest. AS IT SHOULD BE. I will truly miss this show over the summer. It may have just ruined my life, but still. Please hurry back and ruin me some more.

QUESTIONS

... Are you okay?

... How are you though?

... Favorite moment(s)?

... Will you be okay in the future?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

412 Comments
Comments (412)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Took me way too long to watch this episode (even though I reeeally like this show). But I was watching it while sitting in the train (during rush hour). And I tried to hold in my tears. But failed. Epically.
Flag
You are forgetting there was another Mikaelson Henrick
Flag
The Scene! Rebekah!
Flag
I would be better with photo recaps. Just saying.
Flag
i cried while reading THE SCENE!!!!!!!! Loveeeee Rebekah
Flag
I'm so late to this party, but man, was this worth the wait!

-I'm OKish. I too just absolutely lost it when Becks appeared. I even knew ahead of time that she showed up in the finale but to the show's credit, I was so captivated I completely forgot. It really was one of the most powerful TV moments in recent memory. So yeah, I'm going to need some time here.

I had not really thought of the boy with Esther as literally one of her sons, but of course that makes sense, and of course it's got to be Finn - he was the one who was always supportive of her. No way do I buy Kol having some sort of change of heart here.

Nothing much more to say - except, well done, show. I had high expectations and you completely exceeded them.
Flag
Damn.

I am ok, more than ok! What an episode! Some thing I want to comment:

1- I am happy that Rebekah was back and she and Klaus finally made peace, the same goes with Marcel.
2- I love to have some originals back, even when they're not really in their bodies (outside of Mikael). I actually want to see Mikael interact with his wife, we have never seen that, right? I don't even know if they're on good terms or not! As much as I want "the son" to be Kol, I think it will be Finn because...well, who is the son who has a stronger relationship with his mother to the point to want to commit suicide to obey her? Yep, Finn. Anyway, I would actually love to know more about Finn and about his relationship with his brother, I know they're not as close with them as the others (even Kol seemed to enjoy Klaus' and Rebekah's company), but we don't know much about Finn.

BUT If it is Kol, I will do a victory dance, no doubt. We need Kol here to spice things a little (but in Nathaniel's body, please). Well, Kol seemed like the naughty brother but I guess the promise of resurrecting will make him obey his mum... and his short appearance in TVD would actually make sense! :)

3- This is more related to the episode before the finale, I always find very curious when Klaus calls Mikael father, that has already been explained (SO GOOD that line, too) but Mikael calls Klaus "his son" as many times as he screams: "He is not my son!!"... gish, make up your mind! Though it makes the conversation quite funny:

"Who are you?"..."We are family because you have my son's child inside you"... "Why do you hate your child so much?"... "HE IS NOT MY CHILD!!!!"... "But didn't you just say...?? ok, ok, sorry! He uses your surname, though!"

Yep, Mikael, I don't understand you. What horrible parents, though!
More+
Flag
If we get Kol back, I want Kol as Kol and full of his batshit meanness. I don't want to see him have some sort of conversion to his mother's side!

But yeah, terrible parents. Jeez. I've always had this bone to pick with Mikael for forcing his children to become monsters and then hunting them because, MONSTERS.
Flag
... Are you okay? Uhm.
... How are you though? Sobbing in a puddle of my tears in fetal position, in a corner under a fluffy, comforting blanket, shoving popcorn into my mouth to stop the crying.
... Favorite moment(s)? All of them? Rebekah, Monique's death, Klaus being adorable, Davina saving Klaus, Klaus being adorable again with his kids, Elijah being all broken, Klaus telling Cami to leave, a friggin' ninja star (!!), Just everything.
... Will you be okay in the future? Currently trying to stuff three-month old muffins into my mouth because we're out of popcorn, ice-cream, non-green muffins, and cheese. Basically i'll eat my feelings until I feel better.
Flag
it's weeks later, but I am RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.
Flag
since the beggining of the show ive known the baby was a girl and was going to be named Hope.
Flag
Rebekah!!
Flag
I think Finn got resurrected - he was the one that was willing to help her kill his siblings when the family all got together on TVD.
Flag
I bet Julie Plec would do the Klaroline thing if the show's ratings are going down. Just even mentioning her name would get a bunch more viewers. I've not gotten the chance (nor care) to meet Julie, but from what I hear is she takes her power to the extreme...everybody does it her way, but just like any other celebrity, the only thing you see about them on tv is good things, unless they do a Tiger Woods.
Flag
I don't think Candice has much interest in moving over to TO and i have no idea what kind of storyline they would actually give Caroline. She's a main character now on TVD and she has no storyline at all - she's just there to prop up Stefan. If they can't figure out how to give her a storyline on TVD, I don't have much hope of them finding anything for her to do in NOLA.
Flag
I recently theorize something about Mikael. He is a vamp that feeds on other vamps. maybe he draws his power from his kids. Like the linking with Klaus which is why hes tougher than the rest of them.
Flag
No...his wife did a spell to make him that way. Just like with Alaric on TVD. He had to go through a spell process to become a Vampire Hunter.
Flag
I'm STILL crying about this show. God.
Flag
According to Danielle Campbell, Kol will be back for Season 2 :) She just posted it on FB.

Sooo this begs the question.. IS THAT FINN OR KOL????
Flag
I think the big question is if Kol will appear in the present day or not. I saw somewhere that he was going to appear in a flashback to the 1800s so Nate would have been on set to film that, but I'd love for Kol to come back to the present day but I don't want to get my hopes up because I don't think Julie really liked Kol that much and seemed baffled that the fans like Kol better than the other characters (ie Hayley & Cami).
Flag
Kol is like Klaus without restraint lol. Can you imagine if Kol were a hybrid?? I love when he's on screen. Cami got better as the season progressed...but initially I was like.. BORING!

Also I love Phoebe Tonkin the actress... like.. well.. as a person lol... But she needs more vocal lessons. Her accent came through really bad on the finale.
Flag
But I think it would make the show more interesting. Kol seems to be the "fun" brother - in Season 3 of TVD he wanted to go out with Klaus and get drunk and just sort of hang out. So I think that Kol & Klaus have a totally different dynamic than Elijah & Klaus do - it seems to like Kol was the brother that Klaus had more fun with.

We didn't get anything with Kol/Elijah though on TVD. We only really got Kol interacting with Klaus & Rebekah so I think it would be interesting to see him interact with Elijah.
Flag
Holy hell, rigth in the feels!
This season finale combined the best parts of the show in a balls to the wall crazy extravaganza of violence and emotion. And I loved it.
Not a dull moment on that rollercoaster ride. I'm going to need a minute to let all of it sink in and scrape the pieces of my heart back together.

But they shure paved the way for a great new season. Any doubts I may have had about this show during the course of the season have been wiped away completely. I hope (Haha, "Hope", get it?) they can continue at least some of the awesomeness of this finale into next season.
I can't wait!

Flag
I am so psych for season 2 I'm just gonna post my order of battle.
One one corner we have Team Original with Eli Klaus Hailey and Marcel and Jackson if he is still alive. On the other corner you have Esther Finn witches and Wolves (basically everybody) But I don't think its as straight forward as people would think. The Dark Horse in the game is Divina and Cami.

One would think Team O is at a disadvantage against a united force but the opposition is divided. Werewolves and witches will not play well with each other. Conflicting interest. Esther wants her kids dead. The Wolf rings are tied to Klaus

Divina and Mikael hate Klaus but D doesn't want Josh and Marcel dead and Mikael probably hates Esther more.

Cami has an arsenal. I don't know about you guys but I think humans need to be represented
Flag
I cried. That last scene was heartbreaking and yet so gratifying in so many ways. The look on Klaus's face when he saw his baby, and when he finally got to hold her. Such a difference a few months makes, from 'let her die' Klaus in the beginning to her being the most important thing in his world. So many things happened that hurt. Elijah's saying he doesn't let people in, and was broken, Hayley begging to hold her baby, the absolute devastation on Hayley's face when she put the flower's down, Klaus and Rebecca. It all just made me feel so much. This episode was so well done. As if after TVD ending I needed to spend more time crying over fictional vampires.
Flag
Totally agree! So many gutwrenching, heartbreaking and touching moments in this episode. But that last one was not only deeply moving, but also so sweet and beautifull. I was balling my eyes out.

I may need to get out into the real world more...
Flag

When Danielle Campbell gets a little older she need to play Wonder woman in a movie!
Flag
I don't wanna be weird or anything, but does anyone else get the vibe that Klaus and Rebekah have like, been like... together? I realize they are brother and sister, but weren't they alive in the middle ages when incest and stuff happened all the time? That would definitely explain Klaus's extreme over protectiveness of her and willingness to dagger her just to keep her with him all the time.
I realize this is not an issue that would be addressed on the show-but it's a weird vibe I have always gotten. Just wondering if anyone else ever thought that.
Flag
I don't think it's anything incestuous. Klaus is needy, insecure & craves his siblings affection- from all of them, not just Rebekah. He's closest to her, probably loves her the most & Klaus has proven that he is cruelest to the people that he actually cares for the most and shows his love in a very possesive way. He's daggered all his siblings & when they said they'd be happy without him in TVD, he threatened to hunt them all. I don't think he has feelings for all of them :D
And I do think he genuinely wanted to protect Rebekah from getting hurt because he was happy with her relationship with Marcel in the end.
Flag
Hi!
Thank god, I'm not the only one who thought that! I thought I was a weirdo all this time (well, I still do but for different reasons :) ! ).
All joking aside, I really don't think they ever crossed that line. That being said, I think those "complicated feelings" (bordeline incestuous feelings, IMO) have been repressed between them for a very long time and I, like you, don't think that this will be fully adressed in the show! It's just my opinion of course and I might be wrong but I'm not sure the network would go there. I feel like sometimes the writers dropped very subtle hints in the past but I also think they definitely explored and built up an even more complex dynamic between the two of them, which makes it even more interesting for me to watch. But that's just my opinion ;) !
Plus, Klaus has been known to be a huge control-freak when it comes to both his siblings love lives! Celeste's revenge is the perfect example of that. Klaus got her killed because he felt threatened by Elijah's love for her.

Flag
Ya know I never thought he tried to get Celeste killed. I thought that he just didn't give a crap about her and she got killed because she got caught up in one of his plans. Rebekah-though, I think he loves her in a more than just familial way. Hell, who wouldn't!? She is Clare Holt!!
Flag
I totally get what you say, I couldn't stop crying with Klaus and Rebekah scene it was an awesome finale. It makes sense to me that it's Finn who came back with Esther since in TVD he helped her when she tried to kill her children but it may as well be Kol. I certainly can't wait for season 2!!
Flag
That was one awesome season finale. Nailed it :)
Klaus :D (Y)
Flag
I know a lot of people aren't crazy about Marcel, but I like him quite a bit and I think Charles Michael Davis deserves some applause for this episode along with everyone else. Marcel's decision to save Josh out of everyone because he is Devina's friend was cool-but it was made even better when you think about Josh's arc throughout this season, and throughout his life. He has always been an outcast as a gay guy, and didn't have a family, then when he became a vamp he was still kind of an outcast with Diego telling him he may never get a daylight ring. Even in the previous episode, when Josh said Marcel must have forgot to let him know about the plan, he felt left out. Personally, I think he didn't tell Josh because he didn't want to get Devina's friend killed, not to exclude him. So I thought it was really great for Josh when Marcel said, "Josh is one of my guys."
And don't even get me started on how awesome the ninja star scene where he killed Monique, a character I am sure we ALL hated, he sort of broke his no killing kids rule, but he saved an even littler kid in doing so!
Then the scene with him holding the baby and giving it to Klaus was equally amazing.
I am very happy he didn't die, but I am curious what his role will be next season. I want him to be ON the Mikaelson's team not against them.
More+
Flag
I am flabbergasted. A freshman show with that powerful of a season finale shows great promise in the future. I just hope that the showrunners and writers can keep it going without the meanderings like its parent series. The acting was highly emotional. Phoebe Tonkin has really stepped up her game.

I am still reeling. I love how they set up the third option so that we don't have a baby in the series to distract the brothers from the upcoming war. Also, this way they can time skip the baby growing up and she comes back to NOLA in a year or so, but has aged 16 -20 years or more.

When he said there is one person who can protect her, I knew it was Auntie Bex. Yay. Way to keep her in the series without having her on screen. Now Claire can come and go as she pleases, and the writers and other show runners allow.

I was shocked when the Bwitches slit Hayley's throat, but then I thought but she just gave birth. She still has the baby's blood in her, she will come back.

Favorite moments were Davina yanking Mikael's chain so to speak, Monique getting killed and Genevieve's death. Esther did ride the harvest sacrifice back along with Finn, I assume. Kol would not have said yes mother and fallen into step like that. And Klaus and Elijah have no clue that she and Mikael are back.

I will not be okay until summer is over and TO is back.

More+
Flag
I'm 100% sure it was Finn who came back as we know he's a serious Mama's boy, and last we seen Kol he was waltzing around Mystic Falls trying not to be sucked into oblivion. But this truly was a heartbreaking episode I totally pegged them killing Hayley but it surprised me she'd be turned into a hybrid via her baby's blood.
Flag
This damn show, had me in tears! Wow, this has to be the best (ok...one of the best (*ahem* Sleepy Hollow) season finales of this season. Surprises and heartbreak. Good job writers!
Flag
This season finale gave me a TVD feeling, I'm just as excited as I was for TVD's season 1 finale, back then TVD gave us an even better season 2, so I'm expecting a better season 2 from The Originals.
I'm glad the baby is gone and I'm happy she didn't die, but there isn't room for a baby on this show, we know she will be fine since she is with an original. If we see Hope again maybe they can speed up her growth like Joss Whedon did with Angel's son.
Just like many more, I'm just amazed at the difference in quality between TO and TVD, seriously, how is that posible ?
Mikael is back! Although I would prefer an unleashed Mikael, but hey, at least he's back and I hope this time the writers don't kill him after a few episodes. Maybe Esther will free Mikael from Davina, who knows.
Yes! Cami survived trough the season, I'm really happy about that.

I still find difficult to sympathize with Klaus after all he's done, that being said, that last scene with Rebecca brought me to tears, Joseph Morgan is amazing.
See you in season 2!
More+
Flag
Great finale! The return of Mikael, the twist that Davina can control him, the send of with the baby and to Rebekah no less and even Esther plus another Original brother (I hope it's Kol, he was a great character in TVD and Finn outright sucked)!
Flag
Ok so when they sliced Haley's throat I paused the DVR and debated reading your recap right then just to know what else I was in for b/c that scene was so intense and it was 5min into the show!! I took a breath and kept watching. Glad I did!! So good!! I never cry and the sec I saw that red car I cried!!! Amazing. So good. I personally need the summer to emotionally regroup so see you next fall Originals.
Flag
I didnt expect the finale to be that good !!!! Hayley's unexpected death then resurrection , Rebekah being back . Mikael killing all the vampires in New Orleans which lead to Marcel and Klaus reuniting . Or the whole divina has total control over Mikael part which makes Divina an even bigger threat than she was this season , Also, the surprise of esther coming back . But what what truly make me cry my eyes out was Klaus's absolutely touching moment with both his daughter and sister it was heartbreaking .

But the whole holding a Knife above a new born baby was disturbing as well as hayley drinking the baby's blood and the dead baby in a box , I kept saying through out these scenes they will not go there but they did!!!

Flag
This final had me in tears from the birth to Haley's death then resurrection, the heartbreaking moment between klaus and Elijah in the cemetery, Rebekah and klaus and the goodbye to his baby. ;( ;( ;( top notch finally stands with the best of them.
Flag
Yes, yes, yes to all of those moments!
Flag
To anyone who has said that Cami will not be relevant: LOL. That hidden arsenal is the reason why Father Kieran was the leader of the human faction in New Orleans. And now that The Guererras' secret is out, Cami would be a fool not to arm herself and inform the human faction that the Guererras are werewolves.
Flag
That was incredible!
So much happened, I kept checking the time to see how much more of the episode was left, I couldn't believe how much they packed in to the 40 minute episode!
I'm glad Josh is alive, I love his and Davina's relationship.
I'm glad Davina has regained some of the upper hand magically, I was not a fan of her being manipulated and terrorised since she came back to life.
Auntie Bex raising Hope, couldn't have been more perfect.
Klaus cradling Hayley's dead body in the Church.... wow.
Elijah breaking down and letting Klaus have it? Amazing. I really felt for him!
Klaus's face when he forgave Marcel and was going to heal him, so cute! I think I like that they're friends again, but I wont be sure until we see how S2 will play out with the bayou wolves and the Cerera (sp?) wolves.
Ester, Mikael AND Finn? Yussssss!
The promise of Daniel Sharman in S2? Yusss!
Now to pray for Luke Mitchell and Nathaniel Buzolic to be added to the cast and I think that'd be perfect!
Was that scene with Marcel, Oliver and the dead baby meant to be the bayou wolves being written out or was it Marcel letting Oliver know of his involvement with Francesca? I'm confused about the wolves status going into next season...
More+
Flag
Yes Luke Mitchell you read my mind.
Flag
Okay, so I'm not the person who usually cries when watching tv. If it happens, it's usually from Disney movies or other cartoons, (don't ask why, because I have no idea), it takes a lot for me to cry because of a real life show/movie, but I'm actually a little proud to say that, the ending scene between Klaus and Rebekah, had me shed a tear, that and Klaus' little speech to his daughter, and Hope - Beautiful! It was right up there with the scene's in the graveyard. I don't know how Joseph Morgan does it - but feels all over the place! Gosh! This was despite that, the moment they talked about sending their daughter away, I knew this meant giving her to Rebekah, so when said original sister stepped out the car, I wasn't surprised.
I'm really glad that they ended up faking Hope's death (an actor, acting as if his acting - lol) and sending her off with her auntie, so she'll be safe for now. It will make things a whole lot easier with what's to come and it'll give them an excuse to rip our some hearts ;P As a baby, Hope wont be safe with her murderous grandparents back in town along with one of her uncles, who seems to have a unhealthy deathwish... Just hinting that the number of alive Mikaelson's doubled over night, so it looks like we're back to the old family feud.
But I have to say, I feel a little robbed. I have a feeling the writers read some of my fanfic. Esther back from the dead, having stolen the body of a teenage girl, ready to play tricks on her sons? Yeah, I came up with that plot twist back in January (should I put a disclaimer on my plot?)... Oh well, let's how the writers choose to use this twist...
I'm glad Klaus and Marcel made up and starts to work on this mess together, like they're supposed to, hated seeing them fight. I loved that Marcel was the one to save Hope, his kid stepsister, sort of :)
What I didn't like much though, was Klaus' 'you're beautiful' to Cami, not really at all a Klami shipper *shivers*.

So, Hayley. I have to admit, that I had seen some pictures from the episode, before watching it, so when Hayley died, I was a little confused, more than sad, but Elijah's heart to heart with Klaus about Hayley had me close to tears - I'm a Haylijah shipper now, even more than before. Good thing she became a hybrid, this solves the immortal/mortal complication between her and Elijah :) But she's sired to her daughter, how does that work?
Devina had some serious character developing in this episode too, controlling a nasty original like an evil puppet master, I like that! Klaus better get back on her good side again, if he was ever really there... :P I'm wondering though, with Monique, Genevieve and that other girl, whats-her-name, dead (yaih!), Devina's power should have increased again, right? Now it's just her and Esther sharing the power of four, wonder how that's gonna turn out...

Also, I really hope that we one day get to meet Hope again. Not necessarily as fully grown, but maybe as a teen girl, I imagine her becoming pretty powerful, since apparently, she's not only a born werewolf/vampire, but also a witch? The three supernatural creatures of that world combined. I have a feeling that once she grows up, she'll be the one to protect her family and not the other way around... I wish Klaus had sent Esther's grimore with Rebekah, would have been perfect...

Wow, okay another rambling, which has to end. Overall, a season finale that blew my mind with a promise of an action filled second season. I'm looking very much forward to this fall and the beginning of next season!
More+
Flag
Awesome, first season TO...see you next season ;o)
fyi..your so much better than VPD lol
Flag
So true! Didn't really feel much for TVD finale, it could have gone so much better...
Flag

I cried, lol, I'm not ashamed to admit it..fantastic episode.. Altho I didn't think for one minute that Kol was the other original with Esther..I pretty much assumed immediately that it was Finn... Maybe now that Bloodlines has tanked Kol can come back from the dead as himself..

Flag
Is that your real pic of your face "dazednconfuzzed" -if so, you are one sexy lady!

Hell, stop commenting on CW shows and start being in one!
Flag
Haha like I said below, ur hilarious.. Yes that is me, but I have always enjoyed being behind the camera as opposed to in front of it..
Flag
You mean directing things or writing things? Or photography/ cinematography?
Flag
I think they intentionally didn't reveal Kol's fate when the Other side collapsed so they could surprise us when he comes back!! But yeah, the black guy was definitely Finn. They set up the whole "body jumping" thing for a reason cuz they couldn't get those actors back. But Nathaniel Buzolic will return.
At one point did you cry? There were like four different times I teared up, and I am man enough to admit it!! It takes a strong man to weep over a CW show!
Flag
"It takes a strong man to weep over a CW show!" Couldn't agree more! Lmao, you're pretty funny sir... But yeah I was crying every few mins throughout the whole episode.. I even felt mildly bad for Genevieve for a split second but then when Hayley knifed her I thought to myself I'd do the same if someone tried to kill my child.. even if they didn't "want" to.. That was when it really hit me that Genevieve always had a choice, and despite her reasons, she absolutely deserved her fate.. Besides even if they had spared her, Esther wanted her dead so that she could be resurrected as a Harvest girl.
Flag
I felt bad for her only because they made her so damn sympathetic-which I didn't really understand the point of. I mean they never made you feel bad for any of the other Witches-that is why they are the most despicable faction in my opinion. Agnes, Bastiana, Papa Tunde, Celeste-even Sophie wasn't particularly likable. But they actually went out of there way to show how conflicted Genevieve was and also to show us how sad her back story was. With all that I thought maybe there was a chance they were going to redeem her at the last minute, but nope. I mean maybe it was an intentional Red Herring. Like how they went out of their way to make us think Marcel was going to die, even showing that clip constantly of him saying "I will fight till I am dead!" -so I was genuinely pleased and surprised when he ended up the hero. (and even then I still thought maybe he would die)-and with Genevieve the big trick was that they made us think she would change her mind and not go through with it, but then she didn't.
Flag
Oh and I agree with u about Kol's fate being left ambiguous for that very purpose.
Flag
That is one way to handle a baby story though, just get rid off it, let it be raised off screen by an aunt. Like that won't come back to bite anyone in the ass, I mean just think those formative bonding years are gonna be with Rebekah. I mean yes right now it is awesome and it shows trust and love among the originals, but what happens in the future, hell 3 episodes from now, when they start fighting again and using the kid against each other.

Flag
Hope really, no offence but that name is just too cheesy.
Flag
Obviously it's Finn that's been 'resurected' with Esther. I mean, he was such a Mamma's boy, willing to sacrifice himself and whatnot, for the death of his siblings, in The Vampire Diaries. So, obviously, who else would she bring back with her?!
Flag

There is nothing I would have changed about this episode. Not. one. thing. Zomg! But, I was very stressed out for that baby. Although, I'm glad Klaus got to name her, because Hayley's choices were pretty uninspired... And it's Finn, it has to be Finn. Kol was not that much of a mama's boy. Plus Finn was my favorite second-string original.

Flag
That was a fantastic finale.

I doubt it would be Kol given the show runner's (I forgot her name) feeling towards him but It would be so good if it was. Finn is a weeny.
Flag
good things in this ep...Haley being dead! hell yeah!(only 4 a while cause as u know she came back :/ ) last scene with bekah and klaus being happy..otherwise...i didn't like this episode so much!it wasn't good 4 a season finale...
Flag
This was a great finale even though there were some disappointments.

Haley's death was so WTF I instantly felt she would come back one way ore another so it was no surprise to see her rise from the dead 5 minutes later. Just like TVD, we can't really freak out when someone dies because if they are regulars, they'll come back.

Quick question: If Hope is able to create hybrids, does this mean she is one too? If so, she won't age right? Rebekah will have her hands full with this one!! It was nice to see her by the way and have her talk about finally getting that white fence was absolutely lovely. I love how, despite everything that's happened between them, they still put family first and always have each other's back.

Didn't Haley's transition to hybrid seem too easy for you? It seems way easier to become a hybrid than a vampire!

I understand why they would choose to send the baby away, it'll be easier to write for next season but it is too easy. This storyline has been built up this whole season for this?!! I'm bummed we won't get to see Klaus get a little softer around those beautiful blue eyes. I would have loved to see him bath or feed her and be all crazy about her. I was surprised with how far they went with the whole baby sacrifice thing and Haley drinking her blood in the end, it's the first time I see something like that I think. Great job taking risks!

All those crying vampires were kind of a downside too, the acting wasn't very good especially that Haley when she cries about having to send her baby away.

Finally, I think bringing back Esther and Mikael as next season's big bad villains is way too easy and won't be interesting because we already know those characters and their complicated relationships with their children (assuming everybody also watches TVD). What is there more to talk about?!

On the other hand, it looks like Marcel and Klaus finally buried the hatchet. I can't wait to see them all BFF again next year.
More+
Flag
Becoming a vampire or a hybrid seems like the same amount of. . .er, 'ease' or 'hardship' whichever way you look at it.

Both human or werewolf have to be killed with vampire blood in their system, both come back in transition, and need to feed.

However, I would argue becoming a hybrid is harder, only because the first batch in TVD needed specifically Elena's/Doplegangers blood to complete the transition, and now with whatever Hope bloody is, they specifically need her blood. So, it's harder to come by the blood to become a hybrid.

But, I guess the payout in the end is better. . .being a hybrid seems to have more benefits: no need to change every full moon, both wolf and vamp powers, no need for a daylight ring, bite can kills vamps, probably require less blood to live I would assume. . .
Flag
I think you misunderstood what I said. I meant it was way easier for Haley because she didn't seem to be struggling much with hunger or beeing blinded by lighting or that other stuff people go through when they become vampires. It seemed pretty easy for her
Flag
Right. You just worded it odd, sorry. I guess yeah, Haley seemed to have an easier time than most we've seen. Guess she put her baby before everything? Mind over matter?
Flag
Vampirism is like the regeneration ability from X-Men. It is biological immortality, not true immortality. That is why Silas and Amara's immortality created doppelgangers, and the Mikaelsons did not. Hope will grow into a mature adult, but then the vampirism will keep her cells from dying.
Flag
why would she grow? Vampires don't age
Flag
But, how could she not grow? She had to have grown to be created, from a bunch of cells into a baby. . .we don't even know what she is. (She's part wolf, vampire/hybrid??, and witch!) Not that it's a great supernatural rule indication, but the baby in Twilight managed to grow, and it was part vampire. . .so we have no idea what rules they'll use.
Flag
Hope isn't a vampire, she has vampire blood in her veins, a werewolf gene, and magic. If she dies, she'll then become a vampire, if she kills, she'll become a werewolf.
Flag
Different universes, different rules. And besides, vampires do actually age. Katherine's accelerated aging proved that. It's the cellular regeneration that keeps vampires looking young, and keeps their bodies fresh and whole.

Of course, the accelerated aging was far from realistic. On Heroes, when one of the "Wolverine"-like characters was deprived of his ability, he was 400 years old, and he turned to dust in less than 5 seconds.
Flag
You may be right but as long as Hope is supernatural, she'll still be a baby I guess
Flag
NO! I'M NOT OKAY! I have all these Rebekah-feelings right now I can't handle! I loved the killings, I loved the resurrections, but my heart shattered into 1000 pieces and my ovaries exploded when my precious, precious Rebekah showed up again! I'm still crying! And cheering! And crying even more!!

And all my personal nags are dead! So I'm rejoicing even more! No Genevieve, no Monique, no blonde-chick-witch and no Diego anymore!

I'm pretty sure the son who was reborn with Esther was Finn. He's more the "Yes, mother. Of course, mother. Anything you say, mother."-type.

OH.MY.DEAREST.REBEKAH! I'm convinced she'll show up in season 2 again. Claire told by herself that she misses the show and don't want to stay away for very long. :D
Flag
can you tell me please what Klaus said at the end of the episode where he was sending his daughter away with Rebekah to be protected from the evil badass witches. Excuse my language sorry. And something about get a witch to do what kind of spell. I forgot.
Flag
Alright, that's what they said:

Klaus: "Hello, sister."
Rebekah: "She looks like her mother. Maybe there is a god after all."
K: "Well, she has a hint of the devil in her eyes. That's all me. You'll need a witch you can trust to cast a cloaking spell."
R: "I'll get one."
K: "No one can ever find her!"
R: "I know what to do, Nik! Perhaps we'll get a white fence... I think that would be lovely."
Klaus to his daughter: "This city would have seen you dead, but I will have it your home, and every soul who wishes you harm will be struck down. Just as sure as my blood runs in your veins, you will return to me!"
Klaus to Rebekah: "In spite of our differences, Rebekah, there is no one I would trust more with my daughter's life. Be happy... sister."
R: "She will be happy, Nik, I promise! What's her name?"
K: "Hope. Her name is Hope."

I hope I was able to help you a little bit. ;)
Flag
I'm guessing Esther brought back Finn - he seemed like a mamma's boy.. Anyway, Kol was too busy being a total douchebag on TVD.. AMAZING FINALE!! Can't remember last time I cried THIS much! Rebekkah &3 &3
Flag
This was one really well done finale. Completely giving me everything I wanted along with building up enough anticipation for the next season. And I agree a character like Rebeakkah could not have been honored in better way. Master stroke by writer and that scene really was amazing.
Flag
This was a epic Season Finale. The suspense and the intensity how things were filmed and played by the actors were simply perfect. There is not one negative thing i have to say about this episode or season to be honest..
Ok, The church scene was brutal, sad and in all that terrible happening, we saw a beautiful moment between Hayley and Klaus, which was more heartbreaking to see her getting killed, while she had just given birth to her daughter. Poor Klaus. He must have felt powerless.
Then the cemetery...another awesome scene....i almost cried when Elijah confessed that he was broken...can't stand him having pain somehow...maybe a crush???? Then Hayley happened.
She was awesome this epsiode...Go Phoebe Tonkin You go girl!
She felt her daughter and they sorta saved her, Well Marcel did in the end...
The scene between Klaus and Marcel was also heartbreaking and intense..
Michael is back...yeah...his storyline is getting boring, but on the otherside also a lot of great action...But he is a puppet...that was so fun to watch...love Davina...she is not always the smartest, but that was smart and cooly done.
Hopefully next season there will be no more Cami.I really believe her story line is done...so writers do your thing...

Like in this review, i totally agree...THE SCENE!
I cried, because it was so touching. Finally Klaus showed trust and so much more to Reb. The speech he gave his daughter Hope ( love the name) was so intense and beautiful, very very nicely done!!!

Fantastic series. Thank you Originals and till next season!
More+
Flag
This episode was fantastic and I don't think there is anything I could say to encapsulate the magnitude of all that happened.

Aside from a few things.

First was Hayley's murder walk as she powered her way thorough that cemetery straight to her child. I just absolutely loved that brief moment when the sheer determination to find her baby and kill anyone in her way was perfectly written across her face and in her posture. It gave me goosebumps. I thought they really did an excellent job personifying the lengths a mother will go to for her child and how putting that child in danger will turn any mother into the scariest thing imaginable.

Also, we saw a complete character evolution in Klaus. We really got the first glimpse of how parenthood had dramatically affected him. Hayley came into her motherhood by vowing that her child will be loved and Klaus came into his fatherhood as protector. I think for the first time in his existence he reflexively put someone before himself with no ulterior motive. Can we all just take a moment and appreciate the fact that Klaus sent his daughter away even thought it was the exact opposite of what he wanted, of what he had been hoping for for the past nine months? It was a beautiful moment and just added another delightful layer to the complexities of his character.

Lastly, I was so so so so pleased to see that they handed the baby to Rebekah. Not only is she probably the only trustworthy person for the task and the only one who is actually capable of protecting her, but guys this has been Rebekah's singular desire since forever. All she has ever wanted was a loving husband and a family, and now she has this little baby desperately in need of her love and affection. Now, excuse me while I go bawl my eyes out.

More+
Flag
Well, I did definitely not cry. Not remotely. For a moment I was really happy thay Hayley was dead... but no. :(

-Did they kill some newborn to pose as dead Hope??? It would be "ok" for Klaus, but Marcel, Elijah and Hayley are supposed to be decent beings! I wish I misheard something.

-Yess! Dead Monique.

-Did Rebekah have a baby seat already installed in her car?

-Please I want a spin-off about Rebekah as a single mum. Maybe she can call mashed potatoes to babysit.

-I know a certain anchor who's going to be overwhelmed by dead vampires.

Flag
Klaus said that Marcel had found a stillborn baby in a hospital upstate. So they didn't go out and murder a baby or anything.
Flag
They said Marcel located the dead neworn in a hospital
Flag
Thank you, I did not understand properly, well that's better.
Flag
What a truly fantastic episode!! Also I'm ruined now!! We have to wait for five months for this amazing show to return on our screens :( !

To answer your questions :
1/ No I'm not okay. Oh actually yes I am because everything was just perfect in a good but heartwrenching sort of way. Well, I don't know. But I guess it just proves how good it was, doesn't it?

2/ See previous answer!

3/ Honestly, there are too many :
-The Klebekah moment in the end was everything.
-Anything Klaus, anything Elijah, anything Hayley.
-But can we talk about the opening scene and also the birth of the baby? Very moving, devastating and truly horrifying all at once! Also kuddos to Phoebe Tonkin who truly owned this episode, in my opinion. Of course Daniel Gillies, Joseph Morgan and Charles M.Davis were amazing as well!
-Oh and Claire Holt was back, well for a few minutes but still she was there. A fangirl's dream come true.
-Monique's death has to be one of my favorite moments too. It was definitely overshadowed by Bex's appearance, but it was still one of the highlights of the episode. It made me love Marcel again yay!
-I'm also happy Geneviève's gone! I mean I came to like her but seeing her almost stabbing an innocent baby was painful to watch. Kuddos to Elyse Levesque though for making her fierce, manipulative, scary and vulnerable all at once!
-Marcel and Klaus's last conversation was also great.
-Glad Hayley is a hybrid even though I feel like it was a little predictable but still, she's going to be even more badass now. I can't wait to see her show some of the traitorous wolves (cough Oliver cough) who's boss!
-Davina got a groove back and she has Mikael on a magical leash !! LOL that scene had me giggling like a twelve year old!
Welcome back Davina!! It's good to see her finally fight back because I felt like she was in everyone's shadow and I wasn't a fan. I'm not sure how long this will last and it will get back at her but seeing Mikael kneel at her command felt so good :) ! Honestly, how great was that ?
-I'm so thrilled Esther's back! She's even more terrifying than Mikael in my opinion. She's their mother and also one the reasons why they became who they are. She had to be introduced at some point.
Oh and she brought a lap-dog Finn. How sweet!! Can't wait to see this special family reunion in season 2. That was a great plot-twist, even though it was a little predictable at least for Esther, because of all the foreshadowing that we had at the beginning of the season. I really didn't have a clue about Finn though. Well done writers!!

The only thing that disappointed me a little was Cami. I mean I still love her but I'm honestly really tired of her being constantly side-lined when her new SL seems very promising. It's a little frustating because I feel like sometimes the writers don't do her justice. She always gets potentially great storylines but sometimes they're not fully explored.
Plus, I'm not sure it was a good idea to show this room to Marcel and Davina, even though it proved to be useful afterwards.
Her scene with Klaus was great though but I really hope we get to see her fight her own battles in season 2. The character needs it and the fact that she will now have to stay away from Klaus will do her good, I think. For this reason I'd prefer she'd stay from Marcel too. Girl needs to be on her own for a while. After all, she does have unfinished business with Francesca, because I very much doubt that the drug lady gave up on the idea of getting the key. I love myself a good catfight lol! Hopefully this will be her time to shine! Don't disappoint me season 2

4/ I'll be okay when it comes back on air :D !
More+
Flag
That opening scene. Klaus and Hayley looked like good friends, it was really sweet and emotional when paired up with what was really happening and Phoebe Tonkin's acting really hit me.

Elijah too I saw under a different light. Finally admitting his feelings and how much he was hurt in such an uncontrolled way!

Hayley becoming a hybrid is genius. I wonder if she's gonna have a change of personality Elena-like. Maybe now she'll grow fonder of Klaus? How would her sire bond work?

THE SCENE made me almost cry. I miss Rebekah so so much, but it's wonderful that she can have a chance at happiness with her niece. She's gonna protect her with her life! And it was the right occasion to make her and Klaus go past what happened. Really sweet.

Davina is just amazing. But you can tell that bracelet is going to be the moonstone for next season, or better, tha Dark One's dagger from Once upon a time. Esther is going to control Mikael for sure.
And speaking of Esther and Finn (I presume it's him), it's so weird that she reincarneted in Cassie's body! Is it really different than what Genevieve did? I can't believe the complete Harvest brings back only the four BODIES, who cares what soul there is in them... and what about her magic? She's gonna have Cassie's or hers?
I'm gonna wait and see, not so sure about it now.
More+
Flag
Esther just soul-jacked the body perhaps she on a time share. I'm guessing she has her power she brought Finn back. That said even as the 4th Harvest girl I'm guessing she's packing half NOLA witches fire power.
Flag
The genius of THIS show's writing is that they are avoiding the sire bond nonsense by making Haley sire-bonded to her own child, not Klaus. I think that was the 'psychic' drive to her finding the baby.
Flag
No, Haley is not sired to the baby at all. When Tyler used the baby's blood to sire that wolf, he was sired to Haley. Not the baby.
They made a big deal of that.
Flag
But one could ask, was he really sired to Hayley or was he sired to the child e to Hayley by extention?
Flag
Hayley was concerned the hybrid Duane would be sired to Klaus like the others. She realized he seemed sired to her not Klaus. But he was sired to Hope.
Flag
They didn’t establish who he was sired to. Hayley said “It was more like he was sired to me.” *more like* That’s her opinion. They don’t know. Could be Hayley, could be the baby Hayley represented. I’m sure we’ll find out eventually.
Flag
Haley told Elijah that he was sired to her and not the baby and that it really surprised her.

They specifically addressed this on screen, so that's one huge exclamation point on her not being sired to the baby.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members