A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

The Originals S01E10: "The Casket Girls

Life is all about simple pleasures in my opinion. While YOU are all gallivanting about enjoying all the most complicated pleasures, I am just sitting here on a papasan enjoying the simple ones. Simple pleasures like, oh, sitting on a papasan for example. Dropping a fistful of Skittles into a vodka tonic. Pinecones, just in general. Also, burning garbage for warmth, that counts as a simple pleasure. Sweatshirt turbans. See, we are surrounded by simple pleasures! That's why it's easy to be happy in life; any time things seem too repetitive or wheel-spinny or slightly pointless and the only real highlight is the sight of three witches being levitated in a church and then murdered, sometimes you just have to keep in mind all the simple pleasures life has to offer and be grateful for them.

I am grateful for The Originals even if "The Casket Girls" felt less than essential. For one thing this show had been on hiatus for what felt like years and my body was going into physical withdrawal from not having seen the Mikaelsons in so long. I legit smiled whenever a character made his or her first appearance in this episode, from Rebekah's incredible French-speaking flashback (in which she saved some titular casket girls from getting screamed at by men in wigs) to simply seeing Klaus place a phone call. I just love these characters so much and that's how almost all of my enjoyment of this episode was derived: From just seeing them exist. Story-wise "The Casket Girls" was another one of The Originals' patented "trust-building" episodes complete with a non-cliffhanger. Meaning, almost everything that happened in the episode was reset by episode's end except maybe one character now trusts somebody more than before. On paper: Boring! But in practice just seeing these fantastic actors stand around and talk to each other in elevated accents makes any other complaining seem ungrateful. Plus, you know, three witches were levitated in a church and then murdered. That was one for the highlight reels.

Both Davina and Rebekah were at the center of this episode, which is another big reason why it was easy to put up with so much wheel-spinning. Davina's fundamental awesomeness (and cleverness and moxie) remains The Originals' best innovation over The Vampire Diaries. This witch is strong but also straight-up interesting. Initially I believed that Davina's entire reason for being was that The Originals really needed a way for Marcel to exert control over the Mikaelsons, so I'm seriously shocked that the writers have made me so hecka invested in her as a person. Now that she's freely roaming the streets, Davina has thousand-year-old men fretting and worried about her, and that's all testament to how important she is to the show. So that was the main gist of "The Casket Girls": Marcel and Klaus attempting to locate Davina via different methods. Klaus capturing Tim at fangpoint was probably never going to end well (poor Tim!), but it definitely did get results. Meanwhile, Rebekah realized she no longer had allies in Marcel or her brothers, so she demonstrated her awesomeness by scheming to take them ALL down. By the end of the hour, she had Davina's trust (supposedly; Davina would be crazy to trust anybody anymore) and was feeding blood to Thierry, a third-tier vampire down in The Garden. Unfortunately, since several cycles of this sort of thing have already played out on The Originals (trust is once again broken! Allegiances shift!), it's hard to feel too invested in Rebekah's current scheme. Still though, I'd watch Rebekah do anything, especially behave in heroic ways on behalf of the other women. More please! So much more please.

Adding to the simple pleasures appreciation list: Josh. Josh was all over this episode! Who could've predicted this guy would become the moral compass of the series? That moment where he decided not to tell Davina about how vampire bloodlines were linked was especially wrenching. Or Sophie Deveraux: I still think she's useless and unlikable, but her newest scheme to (perhaps stupidly) exhume the remains of Elijah's ex-girlfriend at least feels promising. Also Sophie's primary way of dealing with her recent failures? Getting her swerve on. Fair enough! And Cami, of course, has now had her brain thoroughly scrubbed and vervain-disinfected and will hopefully get to exert WAY more agency than she has in the past. I'm not sure how credible her threats against Klaus were (do we really think he couldn't handle it if she "outed" him as a vampire?), but it was intensely satisfying to watch her tell off her uncle for having lied to her. It's incredibly frustrating whenever characters on these shows keep loved ones in the dark to "protect" them, and that's why I loved Cami's rage. Knowledge is power, everybody! Particularly knowledge about the existence of supernatural creatures who threaten to eat your blood at any moment. [SHOOTING STAR] THE MORE YOU KNOW.

It honestly makes sense that "The Casket Girls" wasn't more full-force from a storytelling perspective. It was basically the opening installment in Chapter 2 of The Originals' first season. And as even the best cable series can attest (and make no mistake, The Originals has cable-quality aspirations), you have to do a certain amount of set-up to make the pay-offs more powerful. So this review was all just a lugubrious way of saying that we need to make a special effort to appreciate the smaller and simpler things in this episode. There were tons! But there's one simple pleasure that eclipsed all others: The Originals is back! I can't speak for you guys, but I'm just so excited about what will happen next.

QUESTIONS

... Is Tim going to stay dead?

... Will Celeste be ticked off about having been awakened from her slumber?

... What was the cooler Davina moment: murdering those witches or forcing Elijah to vomit blood?

... How many OTHER New Orleans holidays are the Mikaelsons responsible for?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

191 Comments
Comments (191)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"Rebekah's incredible French-speaking flashback"

And by "incredible" you mean some of the worst French ever uttered on television? I love Rebekah, but it was awful.

"What was the cooler Davina moment: murdering those witches or forcing Elijah to vomit blood?"

How about door number three in making Klaus turn but pausing half way through then snapping his neck.
Flag
i think this was the first episode of The Originals I really enjoyed from beginning to end (so have to disagree with Price just a little here). Rebeccah and Davina were both really great. i am not as bothered by the Elijah and haley pairing as a lot of others. Klaus doesn't really seem to have great chemistry with Haley or the bartender Cammi - only makes you miss Caroline because those two were way more interesting together.
Flag
I enjoyed the ep. Absolutely loved the music in this episode. Often times the music is what makes the ep for me. Especially the opening and closing songs.
Flag
Poor Celeste. Why are witches always consecrating people when they're trying to sleep... Unpopular opinion: can't wait for someone to shake up this budding Elijah/Hayley romance. Elijah gets so corny and gross around her and their chemistry is weird, I'm honestly not rooting for them. Good episode overall, I was feeling the estrogen strongly. Rebekah's always a breath of fresh when I get tired of the boys. Cami's in danger. She grew some crazy sized balls talking smack to Klaus's face towards the end, but okay.
Flag
Here's the other problem with Davina's imagined slights. She knew all along that with her help, Marcel was keeping the witches in check. This is no revelation, so why are they walking around--and by they, I mean Davina, Cami, Josh and Rebeccah--acting like Marcel manipulated her and lied to her and that he was using her?

When Elijah asked her about how she felt about Marcel killing the witches, she said they deserved it and she'd be happy when all of their magic is gone and she could be a normal girl. Marcel has only asked of her to let him know when a witch is working her magic. That's it. Which she agreed to do, so where did the lies come in at? Because he never told her Agnes was dead? That's not a lie. He just didn't tell her probably because it didn't matter. In four more months, her powers would fade away and she would be free to live her life as a regular human, still under Marcel's protection.

Davina is a stupid little girl with too much power. This episode pissed me off. Not to say it wasn't good, but it really urked me.
More+
Flag
Sorry, I think this episode was amazing! Not boring at all, story-wise too!
Flag
Oh and one more thing... Where the hell did Tyler go?
Flag
Thank god it's back!
I agree with Price, it's just good to see them existing.

The show needs to tread carefully with the unwieldy power many of it's characters have, particularly Davina. So she can break Klaus's neck whenever she feels like it? So couldn't they use this to do any spell they feel like on him while he is out cold and control him this way? I hope they keep some structure to the use of magic in this show, we need to know the boundaries, magic should never be a cure all for lazy writing.

Still, it's back and that's all that matters. If only Elijah could see Klaus around Caroline, then he'd know he was redeemable.
Flag
Exactly my issues with it. If they are going to do that, then they need a crossover episode where Klaus goes to Bonnie and forces her to make an amulet or something to make him immune to magic. If he dies, all of her friends die, so it would be incentive for Bonnie to act quickly. That way, you put Klaus back on top, but he'll still be on edge to protect his family from magic.

Because if you don't have some kind of balance, then it's like what you said and where does that leave anyone?
Flag
I really find it difficult to understand how Cami can think that its ok or even smart to threaten Klaus. So what if she cant be compelled anymore? So what if she out Klaus? Firstly would people believe her? And if people do, Klaus cant be killed and is powerful and can easily kill many or anyone who comes after him including Cami.. plus many of the vampires would come out too and it would be like True blood except that they can really walk on the street? So seriously, wtf is Cami thinking?
Flag
Loved this episode.

1. I think Tim is going to stay dead unfortunately, at least he better because that solidifies Davina's revenge against Klaus. Him coming back as a vampire or ghost would be too easy and for once, not that I hate Tim but let's have at least one current human character die and stay dead. If not for revenge to remind us that not everyone is a supernatural creature or will turn into one after death, It looks like at least one other badass (I was scared when Elijah put the picture together) evil person returning from the dead soon anyway.

2. See the end of response number 1, that answers my question. Who wouldn't be ticked about it? But to answer more specifically, I don't think she's going to be ticked because she was awakened, the exact opposite as a matter of fact.

3. Definitely the witches hands down and necks snapped. But you left out forcing Klaus to turn. That should have been in there because it would have been number 1 to me, especially with the "That's enough from (or was it of, and does it really matter) comment.

4. Do you really have to ask, they're probably responsible for them all, This is the family responsible for a centuries old rival between werewolves and vampires with a fake sun and moon curse involving vampires walking in the sun and werewolves never having to turn if they destroyed the moonstone. Well the curse was real but damned if they didn't do a good job altering it to get what they wanted.
More+
Flag
*is returning from the dead for that typo in response number 1.
Flag
*and you in response number 3. sorry I was excited that the show is back and that I can comment to really focus on something as simple as grammar.
Flag
What's not to like? Klaus is A-W-E-S-O-M-E as always. The tingling chemistry between Elijah and Hayley is so beautiful. Everytime they come close I hope they kiss, but they don't, and it leaves a bit of tension building :) Rebekah is so powerful and her dialogues are to kill for. Even the 'child' Davina and her best pal Josh are likeable.
If only they had gotten rid of Cami :( Also, I don't seem to get Sophie. She's a witch. But she is so uselessly powerful and missing in half of the episodes. And she does not look evil at all I must say!
Nevertheless, great episode whatsoever! :)
Flag
Here comes another episode of: Nick Moose's The Originals: Something to Think About!: Is the concept of the Originals that far off from the Vampire Diaries? Aren't they both about brothers? Stephan is the moral brother who tells Damon not to kill humans, Elijah, is the moral brother who tells Klaus not to kill humans. Again, I love these shows, but the amazing Julie Plec(and I am not being sarcastic, she is amazing!) has said that the Originals is about family, not about a girl, but isn't VD about family as well? I consider that show to be about those guys getting along, and the girl is just the obstacle. In the Originals, there are other obstacles besides just girls, but the premise is similar. I don't even have a brother! But, I'm thinking more along the lines of friends getting along. People you are devoted to, that you love, but don't romantically love. Like Damon and Stephan, Elijah and Klaus, Klaus and Marcel.Some of them are related sure, but they were all also friends. Friendship is important. And I did love this latest episode because I think there needs to be girl power in these shows, but I think the main crux of both of the shows- relationship wise- is how these guys can all learn to get along. (sorry if I let any of my own personal conflicts with my own friends-whom I consider brothers-seep into that rant.)
More+
Flag
I get your point. I guess you can say in the Originals, Klaus is the main character and his interactions with his family and Marcel are the basis for the show. and then each of the supporting cast have their own stories to tell that will shift plots and go off in other directions or be linked to effect whatever Klaus has going on.

In VD, it's really all about Elena. The brothers interact but their goal is all about whatever Elena has going on. Th cure... that whole season was getting the cure for Elena. Everything the brothers do is motivated by what they need to do or be to or for Elena. They don't care who gets screwed over as long as Elena wins in the end.

Thousands of vampires died so that Elena could get a cure she didn't even want in the end. Let's not count the witches who were killed and the hybrids. Granted, those beings deaths were all secretly set up, but when Elena and Jeremy plotted to kill Kol, they knew what would happen and they didn't care. I'm sure a lot of the vampires who died were evil, but I'm sure there were probably a lot more who were like Caroline or Lacey. So, it really is all about Elena on that show and all her damn doppelgangers.
More +
Flag
Yea, but have you ever been in love with someone? Like stupid in love? Everyone says Damon and Stephen are idiots for their love for Elena, but, I dunno, I'm a guy who digs girls hard! I fall for them! I get it!! We forget about this aspect, because it's a TV show, but Nina Dobrev is gorgeous!! I could see myself falling in love with any of those Dopplegangers. and when you are in love, you do stupid shit! But as far as "bros before hoes" goes-well that's why I love the Originals even more then TVD! TVD-first name in the opening credits is Elena, then Stephan, then Damon, in the Originals, it goes Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah! And Rebekah isn't even the love interest! Moreover, how many spin offs exist that are all about the bad guy? Besides this one, I can think of...none. There is no Adventures of Lex Luthor" -yup. Joseph Morgan rules!!
Flag
#TeamDavina&Rebekah

Great return episode, if you ask me!
Flag
Shane Coffey has a USA pilot so ... that's curtains for Tim, i bet
Flag
Okay, for the love of whatever,

How come Marcel or Devina didn't bother putting those paintings together? That makes no sense what so ever. Seriously, they matched pitch perfect and nobody thought to put up the puzzle?

And are they ever going to do something with Tyler? He's locked up for what? 3 episodes now?
Flag
Marcel probably just thought it was her own art work. When she had an image of a witch, she told him. He probably just thought those were abstract designs. Elijah being older and more cultured in the arts, etc... and naturally more curious decided to find out if there was something more to it.
Flag
.. Is Tim going to stay dead? -> Yeah, probably.

... Will Celeste be ticked off about having been awakened from her slumber? -> I know I would!!!

... What was the cooler Davina moment: murdering those witches or forcing Elijah to vomit blood? -> MURDERING THE WITCHES WAS SUCH A BADASS MOMENT!!!

... How many OTHER New Orleans holidays are the Mikaelsons responsible for? -> Probably all of them... yeah!

Overall, I really loved the episode! So glad The Originals is back!

Flag
Great episode!! I love how feminist Rebekah and Davina's alliance is! It's a great idea and it was about time those girls fought back against those selfish boys! Can't wait to see any kinda confrontation in the future! Cami is kinda irrelevant in all of this but I like that her power comes from her personnality and not her supernatural condition. Hoes over bros!! haha
Flag
And you forgot Haley in that mix. She definitly has her spot. Rebekah made that clear.

As for Cami, she is sort of like Caroline. She's someone that Klaus cares about and that is her biggest threat when it comes to Klaus. He doesn't want her upset with him.
Flag
Your right on all fronts but I don't think klaus's care/love for Caroline is any where near the same level as cami. With Caroline he did every thing possible to get her to like him and at some level trust in him where cami he is just protecting her or something like that.
Flag
Don't forget that Caroline and Klaus had what? 2-3 seasons?
We're only half way around this season.
Flag
I can see your point well put
Flag
Yeah you're right but I think that whole alliance with Sophie may jeopardize the whole sisterhood thing Hayley and Rebekah got going on. Let's hope not!
Flag
And yet somehow Elena killed 2 of their brothers and not a single one of them bothered doing anything about it.
Flag
Rebekah actually killed Elena to save Klaus! But you're right, there wasn't much consequences when Kol and Finn died.
Flag
I don't think it will because the same motif this whole show is going for is family bonds. Haley is doing this because she wants to protect her family, that is something any of these characters sympthatizes with.
Flag
Yeah but she's betraying Elijah by doing it and he's Rebekah's blood. As dysfunctional as the Mikaelson may be, there's nothing stronger than family bond for them as well so I guess Rebekah might take Elijah's side if this comes to light.
Flag
I love Rebekah more and more every episode!

Over-all, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and it feels great to have my favorite dysfunctional vampire family back!
Flag
I Just wonder why despite the presence of many Super-Mega-Uber-Powerful witches no one has bother to BREAK the link between the Orginals and all their bloodlines... ????
Flag
Davina might try when she finds out so she can save what's his name her vampire friend ahhhhhh I can't remember his name
Flag
That's assuming it's even possible. It's not like there are loads of originals available for free experimentation.

The big question is why even bother? All they need is just to put Klaus under (was done on the tvd) and then dump him under a really huge hole.
Flag
>>Adding to the simple pleasures appreciation list: Josh. Josh was all over this episode!<<

Josh is a pleasure to watch. He's a great guy and great character. Love his friendship with Davina. I sure do hope he sticks around for a long time.

And Thiery: um, it's nice that Rebekah is feeding him blood but why doesn't she release him?? It's got to be torture being walled up like that. For that matter, why can't he get out himself if he's being fed?

And what about all the other vampires who are walled up, is she feeding them too? Are they unconscious? Because if they are conscious that it has to be even more torture for them to see Thiery being fed.
Flag
I think it's safe to say that if she frees him, Marcel would know what's going on.
The bigger question is, why does she even bother making a deal with him?

She's an original, she can just comepl him...
Flag
Brilliant episode! Davina and Josh are brilliant characters! Just a pity they were lumbered with that walking yawn, Cami. The only good thing that comes out of her part in this episode, is that if she stays, her and Klaus are clearly not going to get together later in the season. At least, I hope that's what it means. I don't think I could take her seriously if she hooked up with Klaus after all she's remembered. (Despite his beautiful, beautiful face).
Davina is brilliant, and how refreshing is it to have witches that are actually powerful, and can use their power to help themselves, and not just to save their friends when they are in trouble.
How great is Josh?! I was expecting Josh to be a redshirt vamp when Klaus first de-vervained him; he'd be found out and killed within a matter of hours. I am so glad he wasn't! His and Davina's friendship are one of the best things in the show now, and Josh is fast becoming a really decent character. His and Davina's alliance against Klaus could be one of the more interesting elements of the remainder of this season.
I have to admit I pulled a face when it became clear Celeste was coming back, but I see now it could be interesting to have all the current characters working together against something much worse, and much bigger, than just Klaus and his murderous temper tantrums. It'll be nice to see everyone on the same side for once.
More+
Flag
The only good thing that comes out of her part in this episode, is that if she stays, her and Klaus are clearly not going to get together later in the season

Yeah... I'll take that bet anyday of the week.
This is the vampire diraies (spin off)
A world where the moral code is basically that you can forgive anyone no matter what horrible acts he has done if they are attractive enough.
Flag
Davina finally addressed question which I am asking since beginning of TVD. Eliajah or some else vampire character from TVD universe who is perceived as the good guy, still has killed 10s or 100s of people. This is the thing that bothers me the most. Stefon is the brightest example. Humanaty on or off, he still should have been killed for his actions, because no one knows when he will kill again.
Flag
This episode was AWESOME! Davina was in one word AWESOME!
Poor Cami...she had a hard time this episode.. glad that Davina helped her remember....
Really like Josh...he is a sweet vampire with a good heart!!
OMG the fight between Davina and Klaus/Elijah/Marcel was fantastic..
It has been a while to see Klaus suffer like that... "Enough of you!" She was awesome...
In the end loved it...Klaus thought that he had outsmarted everybody by puting poison in Davina's drink, but was outsmarted by the rest....! Nice one...

Flag
Resilient Women and Men Who Suck!

I must admit, I wasn't exactly anticipating the return of The Originals but I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of "The Casket Girls". What an excellent hour of supernatural shenanigans!
I am really appreciating the fact that this show is now committing to all of its characters and not just the original family. This episode truly delivered some excellent character development from the characters who would usually be left sitting on the sidelines and serving as plot devices and/or caricatures. But no! "The Casket Girls" wanted us to care about Davina, Josh, Cami and Rebekah and it did so in a way that didn't feel forced or contrived.
In a show where alliances change on a weekly basis (and sometimes multiple times within the same episode) the little team up excursion with Davina, Josh, Cami and later Rebekah could've easily gone the silly forceful route and made this episode feel like filler stuff. Boy am I glad that it didn't! I now genuinely care about Davina and Josh. I want Cami to succeed in outsmarting Klaus' manipulative ways and I really want Rebekah to come out as a stronger, more grounded character. This episode put the pieces well into place for all of these things to happen.
I'm not sure if The Originals needs a new character right now (Celeste) though. Like I said, the show is beginning to do some great work with a number of its current smaller characters so I really don't know if I'm down with seeing a new character come and take the attention away from them. However, I realised a few episodes back that The Originals will have to introduce a bigger evil then Klaus for the show to stay interesting and for things to start moving in the right direction. Klaus should stay an anti-hero but I think his days as "the shows villain" are (and should be) numbered. So, if Celeste's introduction serves as the new greater evil then by all means, bring it on show!
In fact it's just what the show needs to make the three originals both more likeable as well as ground them as actual characters, instead of just the forever bickering siblings. Sure, they can bicker (I love their bickering) but it needs to be about something other then the typical "why are you taking his/her side" sibling stuff. All of the characters would benefit from teaming up to fight a greater evil then Klaus - especially Klaus! His character needs a better foundation and he deserves a proper purpose instead of just being the wounded youngest sibling who's constantly acting out because his daddy didn't love him. Sure, that has worked fine thus far but it's time for some growth for Klaus. I'm glad to see that the show is at least attempting to do Klaus justice and I'm even happier to see that the other characters are getting episodes like this - that really take their time with character development.
This show has been fun from day one but now it's also starting to get some depth and on a CW show about the worlds oldest Vampires, that is a breath of fresh air!

* Wow Davina! It's great to see a witch that actually has some serious powers and even better to see her use them to her advantage! Without the usual angst and emo-filled speeches about how the power is "dangerous". In other words: Go Davina! Own it - show, don't tell! (looking at you Bonnie Bennett)

* I'm really glad that Rebekah seems to have finally decided to follow her own path and do what is best for her - instead of being Niks emotional punching bag. She's teaming up with Thierry!? Again, great to see the show USING a character that they already have.

* Ok, it's SO clear that Elijah and Hayley have some real feels for one another! As much as what Hayley did by giving up Celeste's location may have been a bit of a betrayal - it's refreshing to see that just because she may have feelings for Elijah, she's not making her whole existence about him. Girls tend to do that too often on these kinds of shows, so to see a girl who doesn't get tunnel vision as soon as she starts getting attention from a guy that she likes, is encouraging. I'm glad that the show isn't abandoning Hayley's backstory.

* I've said this before but I really like Josh! In fact, I think I love Josh after this episode. PLEASE DON'T HURT HIM, SHOW!

* I still don't know what to make of Sophie and the other witches. I talked about how great it is that the side characters are getting development - here's one that still needs A LOT of it: Sophie!

* I loved Claire Holts narration throughout this episode. It was really beautiful and it served and complimented the story.

The Originals is turning out to be a bit of a CW gem. It's got the much needed maturity that a lot of the others don't and it's definitely got a lot of potential. Good for you show!

More+
Flag
I thought this episode was really great! Seriously, I LOVE Josh and Davinas friendship, and I loved that they (kind of) got their own storyline this episode.
Flag
Really liked the Girl power here, so much more please!
And there were four witches levitated in a Church, three murdered, bur four levitated
Flag
Just simply adored the girl power in this episode...the well deserved gap between episodes was worth it! Rebbekah all the way! she' everything I hoped for, a true Original!
Flag
So Katherine needs to pretend to die in Mystic Falls, come down South, sweep Elijah up off of his feet, and become a real couple. This is a thing!
And I'm already hopping on the Thierry and Rebekah ship.
Flag
and "The Originals" will probably lose all its fans and big ratings....who in the right mind will put Dobrev in this amazing show?
Flag
She's a pretty great actress as long as she's not playing Elena. That is the most boring character ever created.
Flag
So now that Davina died, is the witch ceremony completed? Are they strong again? Will the rest 3 girls get ressurected? Or was Davina supposed to die in a specific place for that to happen?
Flag
I'm guessing no.
She needed to release her power back to the earth, presumably, she doesn't need to just die, but a ritual has to be done or something.

Or maybe she needs to stay dead.

The way I see it, the witch basically just give her something to the imortality ring.
Flag
Is it me, or has Klaus gotten a little too paranoid? Like, tone it down a little, dude.
Flag
Is there anyone who isn't plotting against Klaus? He has every reason to be paranoid.
Flag
hahaha I guess you're right. He's making an awful lot of mistakes, though.
Flag
1. Is Tim going to stay dead? Don't care. I'd almost forgotten who he was. I hope he does stay dead, not that I have anything against him but I don't want to see this show go the TVD route of death being almost meaningless.

2. Will Celeste be ticked off about being awakened? Yes. Ticked off is the default.

3. What was the cooler moment? Davina murdering the witches was cooler than making Elijah vomit blood. The more useless witches we can get rid of, the better, and so far they're all useless except for Davina.

4. How many other New Orleans holidays are the Mickaelsons responsible for? Lol. I'm gonna guess, quite a few!
Flag
... Poor Davina but yeah.
... Um yeah super pissed.
... The witches!!! Something about unison neck snapping that was awesome!!!!!
... All of them. Just all of them.
Flag
Battle of the sexes. Boys vs the girls. Gotta love Josh being the only vampire without a selfish motive except wanting to stay undead.
Flag
At first I did love this show but now I think I know why it was only at first. The Originals is now starting to inherit the character/plot pitfalls The Vampire Diaries practically flexes it's muscle with. It's almost self-parody how characters will scheme together, turn on each other, forgive, then at most a few episodes scheme together again. It is just so hard to invest in some of these characters when they are in perpetual rinse and repeat mode forging alliances. I guess Davina really is the only interesting one left and who knows how long that will last. I'm sure she'll be plotting and giving 2nd, 3rd, 4th and nth chances to people like everyone else.

Cami is long (and do I mean LONG) overdue to be thrown on a freight plane to Alaska. Sophie once was useless and annoying but just bought time for MAYBE an episode or two with how fast the show moves (I have no problem with briskness).
Flag
Great job...I agree with everything
But ..how come the review for this show is very short ? You usually gave full recap for VD ?.
Flag
You know, the more I think about Cami's threat the more I like it. If season 1 ends with her setting up a system revealing that the Mikaelsson family are original vampire with proof flying through the net and all. For the purpose of the show of course there should be some kind of fail safe the Mikaelsson have prepared like computer geeks censoring anything they deem dangerous the world shouldn't know but only outside of New Orleans.

Celeste being alive who wants revenge on Klaus putting Elijah in moral threshhold once more, that is going to be awesome!

I must say I'm also impressed with Davina. They likely should have given her more character in the beginning but maybe her surprise wouldn't have been as effective so it all turned out well with her and her story arc. The fight with her against Klaus, Elijah and Marcel was fun especially because Klaus started to turn and when she said Elijah was a killer yet we have never seen him kill an innocent, not even actively feeding on one too. Speaking of Klaus turning, why hasn't he done that yet? I know the premise of the show is that they are vampires and he's side effect is only there to mess with his opponents but at least once they should have him turn during screen time.

I hope it's more that Harvest thing, that didn't sit too well. Elder witches of a coven sacrificing young witches just to hold on to their "ancient magic?" Unless that ancient magic allows them to kill Originals or something like that that was a waste of screen time.
More+
Flag
You literally said nothing about the best part of the show??? Davina slapping 2 Originals around AND Marcel like it was nothing! Bonnie who? Your reviews get worse weekly.
Flag
Davina looked like such a badass when she took out Klaus then made Elijah vomit blood before turning on Marcel. Loving the friendship between her and Josh as well as the fact that he didn't mention that if an original is killed his/her bloodline dies with them. Rebecca is still awesome, I'm glad she's standing up and doing stuff for herself for once and not being their just for other characters to use her whenever they feel like it. Really loving this spin off and so happy it's back.
Flag
How did klaus kill Tim, one minute he was talking then he just fell dead? Must of missed that part!
Flag
Poison in the water he was drinking. He also compelled Tim to give to Devina and only after she sipped it could he remember it was poison.
Flag
I've said it before and I'll said it again: Josh is the best. And Josh and Devina's friendship is so sweet. After TVD, it's refreshing to have a show more focused on friendships and family over pointless love triangles and angsty romances.
Flag
I'm not sure if I'm forgetting from last episode but is there a reason that Rebekah was annoyed at Klaus this week? Or at least more annoyed with him than usual.
I liked all the Davina, Josh and Cami scenes and Rebekah and Davina's scenes. Poor Tim was not around long enough for me to care that he's dead. I actually hope he stays dead just because I don't watch this show to see boring human characters I don't care about.
One thing that confused me about this episode was everybody judging Klaus for Tim being dead, while it was obviously wrong of Klaus to kill somebody why do they care? With the exception of Davina, Tim was nothing to any of them and Rebekah, Elijah and Marcel have all killed people so it seems weird and hypocritical that they'd all think it was awful of him to kill some random human.
The idea of Celeste coming back and Davina having predicted it seems promising though.
Flag
She's annoyed with Klaus because Marcel "chose him over her".

Although from what we've seen so far it looks like Marcel has always been closer to Klaus (ever since they met in 1820). I guess she's just jealous that Marcel likes Klaus more?
Flag
The Mikaelsons just bring wanton holiday celebration everywhere they go, don't they?
Flag
I enjoyed this episode, it was very girl power centric (even though both audience and Hayley herself were both groaning at her decisions, though ultimately, she might need some back up herself and but for mutual interest in Elijah, I bet she and Celeste will get along, in fact, Celeste might firmly be on the non vampire side even if she has to tolerate Rebekkah for a time)
Flag
Who am I supposed to root for?
Wolf girl, who is constantly just looking out for herself?
Klaus, who, since taking over New Orleans has done nothing.
Elijah, who has sided with Klaus, but still conspires with Marcel to keep Klaus in check
Rebekah who hates all men and is now plotting to usurp Klaus
The Witches, who kill kids to keep their power
Davina, who so far, has conspired with Marcel, Klaus, Elijah and now Rebekah
Cammie, the dullest member of the cast.

The main plot needs a bit more focus
Flag
For the record, Haley is trying to look out for her kin, not herself personally. She made that clear.

But I generally agree with you, they are all terrible to root for.

The thing I'm guessing is that, as is the usual with the vampire diaries , they'll add a big bad (celeste?) and all of them will play nicely together to take it down.
Flag
Agreed there are times I support Elijah but usually only when he is at odds with Klaus.
I want these two guys to go all out and have at it. Right now I'm on the Davina/Josh Train.
I'm disappointed with Rebekka she's showing she's like Klaus; but, after everything thats happened I get that she needs give back the pain
Flag
I started off rooting for Elijah, but his plot has become very muddled
Flag
I'm going for Davina - she's the teenage one and her level of crazy sort of makes sense with her age :)

I agree with you on the focus of the main plot. So Klaus took over again, and now what?
Flag
NOW KLAUS SHALL ORGANIZE A PARADE!!!!
AN EVIL PARADE!!

OF EVIL!!
Flag
As long as Rebekah is at the center of the action, I don't care what happens. It could be 60 minutes of Rebekah standing in front of a white screen reading Fifty Shades of Grey aloud in her smooth English accent and I would gladly sit spellbound adn return for seconds.
Flag
I liked the episode. I'm starting to get tired of Klaus and his destructive behavior (we get it, you're lonely and a hot, angry mess), but I loved loved loved Rebekah in this episode. I also love Davina and Josh and I want them to rule the world together, being sassy and precocious. I don't care for Cami (I am trying, guys, I really am. She just bores me to tears, I don't know) or Sophie, and this show needs to raise the stakes because everyone feels safe all the time. But I mean...it was a good episode, what with the girl bonding and Klaus flopping around from the witchy rage.
Flag
Oh my gosh I enjoy alot of cw network programs but the supernatural shows are so lacking in magic or powers these shows must have really small budgets geez the shaking of the camera when davina was being powerful I cannot tolerate this any longer
Flag
I have to sort of agree. What happened to the old days where supernatural shows meant actual magic being thrown? Fireballs? Lightning? Some point of CGI?

If Buffy\Charmed\Smallville do it that many years ago I fail to see why we have to resort to cheap "knocking people out" kind of stuff over and over agagin.
Flag
Here's another installment of The Originals: Something to Think About: If Marcel has this super awesome heavily protected vamp guarded compound, why the hell didn't he just move Davina in there in the first place instead of storing her in the musty church attic where the human faction could have easily found her?
Flag
Because witches can easily kick vamp's behind in this universe. As we clearly saw when that witch (tiery's lover, forgot her name) went balistic.

He's compound isn't secure. The only thing that was keeping Devina safe was that nobody knew where she was. And in that sense it would be stupid to put her at his mansion...
Flag
if witches can kick vamp ass-then why the hell didn't Sabine just murder Marcel in that church? When he came to her and threatened her into helping protect Davina? -by your definition, the only thing the vamps had over the witches was Davina. -because they had advance knowledge of witch stuff from her. I don't wanna poke holes in the logic here, because I love the characters, that's why I love these shows,though I understand the elaborate mythology is also essential, but if Bonnie could take out Damon, then Sabine could probably take out Marcel.
NOW, to counter my own argument, as a writer, if I were the one having to explain this, I would go with the whole "witches losing power because of the harvest not being completed" thing, or , maybe that Bennett witches ares just the most bad ass!
Flag
Oh, let's be totally clear, this show (and its parent) have absolutely no sense of consistency or maintaing power levels.

But if you want to go at it, why didn't that witch kill Marcell? Well, for all she knew, Devina was still on his side. She knows when spells are being cast and would either rush to his defense or at least spread the word and vamps would haunt witches down.
The fact that he asked to protect Devina strengthing this point.

Also, I would assume that the witches need Devina to die a certain way or that something would need to be done to her body.
If they simply let Klaus kill her, they could lose their only shot.

As for that last part, yes, the harvest thing supposebly weakens the witches but it's equally stupid. I mean all they had to do was call a non-harvest witch to go kick the vamps behind. Heck, Klaus's supposed army of witches we heard about in season 2 should have probably made a debout by now if it wasn't for the absurd lack of consistency.

As for Bennet witches, again, loads of inconsitencies. In season 1, Bonnie needed her grandmother to do the tomb spell and it killed her grandmother. In season 2, she replicated that spell with intense planning and preperation and in season 4 she did it without blinking.You could say she is getting stronger as she gets older, but then why did her grandmother need her help in the begining?

If you try to look up the logic of this show, you'll get a massive headache.
More +
Flag
Probably because he didn't want anyone knowing of her existence. None of his vampires, until the timeline this show started, had even known she existed. Marcel kept her to himself. So having her in a vamp guarded compound, takes away the secrecy and lets people know what his weapon was. Also, putting her in an obvious location like a vamp guarded compound would allow the witches to know where she was and try to take her.
Flag
Holy fudge mac doodle thank god this show is back and it came back with a bang. I loved this episode and the fight/magic scene with Davina and klaus, Elijah that was just plain out right great tv viewing, even the murdering of the witches that was just as great, I really like this witch she gets things done. I do like how they made Elijah's current love reawaken his past love that was just great, I wonder how evil is evil we didn't really get an explanation from Davina on that front just marcel relaying the most minimal and cryptic picece of info. Rebekah Rebekah what are you planning.
Flag
Here's the problem with making Davina this force to be reckoned with. If she can do all of these things... why did she ever need protection to begin with?

She flexed her muscles, true. But her anger was misdirected and very hypocritical. Elijah, who caused her no harm, was being held hostage by her and Marcel. And even when Marcel wanted to give Elijah back, Davina refused as she searched for ways to kill him. But here she stands on ceremony acting like the world's done her wrong. Get the hell out of here with all that sh*t! Go sit your teenager ass down somewhere and let grown folks handle their business.

Rebeccah's crying about being oppressed? really. She never had to stick around her brothers. But if you want to be pissed about Klaus daggering you, she has the right. But complaining about Marcel not taking your side which would leave his vampires in what predicament without him there to protect them, is just selfish.

These women showing their gumption in this episode was so misdirected and firing off in all the wrong directions.

More+
Flag
Well, let's not forget that Devnia didn't really know much about magic. Remember she told Marcel she just figured out how to make someone's head hurt.
Ergo, until she learned to use her powers, she needed protection.

I'm also assuming Elijah speeded up her studies to an extent.

However, now that she can flat out kill 4 witches at once, her desire for protection seems weird.
Flag
I think Davina found out that Elijah killed Agnes (and never bothered to tell her). He also tricked her into doing that unlinking spell - he did use her and would probably continue to do so if it suited his interests.

What I don't get with Rebekah is why she has chosen NOW to be mad at Klaus for daggering her. She could have been made in Season 3 of the TVD when he undaggered her (but she didn't seem to be - she seemed like like hanging out with him and Stefan and then hanging around Mystic Falls). He daggered in Season 4 because he thought she wouldn't be able to keep her mouth shut about the Brotherhood of the 5/Silas and when she was undaggered after that she didn't decide to continue to hang around Mystic Falls and although she was angry at Klaus and so forth it wasn't this bad.

I understand that Rebekah came to undagger Elijah, but she said that she was going to leave town after that and she hasn't. She was actually on her way out of town - but then turned around and came back when she could have chosen to just keep going and get her own life. It's not like Klaus & Elijah were going to stop her from leaving.
More +
Flag
To be fair to Davina, they had kidnapped her one connection to the life she had before the whole harvest stuff happened. and she also didn't know the extent of Elijah's involvement, so she logically assumed he had been helping his brother. And she acted that way towards Marcel because she thought he was family and he couldn't even tell her that she was safe, she felt betrayed, and she was already unstable enough from witches trying to kill her and Tim being kidnapped.
I 100 percent agree with your comments about Rebekah. Especially since she told Marcel to take the damn ring and make up with Klaus in the first place. He wanted to keep fighting.
Flag
Well, see, that's when sitting down and talking would help instead of going on a killing rage. No one had attacked her prior to this happening. She got all pissy and decided to show who's boss. I loved the Klaus poisoned her ass. Even after hearing how Marcel really cared for her and hoped he could earn her trust back, she was looking like a wronged party.

Agnes is dead? so, what,,, the witches was just going to give up on ever regaining their power? This is why children should stay in children's places and let grown folks handle the big stuff. She didn't even think that the wouldn't try to have a backup plan. As soon as she ran away, they were looking for her goofy ass and she never gave Marcel credit for being right.

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of petulant little girls. I'll be glad when Celeste is resurrected and puts her in her place.
Flag
No, I agree she as definitely being immature by any standards. I just think that a lot of it stems from she doesn't know nearly as much as we do. She shouldn't go on a killing rage, but for all we know that's the powers inside of her driving her crazy.
Flag
I get that she doesn't know as much as we do, but what she does know is that no harm has come to her. Marcel hasn't even really bothered to ask her to do anything other than clean Josh's mind and that was mainly to spare the boy's life. Josh is another one who didn't appreciate the mercy shown by Marcel. Marcel gave into her wish to go to the festival. So, what she does know is that she's been safe and talked to and protected by Marcel.

This anger towards him is illogical. It may be the writers trying to create drama, but at the expense of her character, it's turned me off to her. She's of sound mind when she was trying to protect Tim, so they're trying to create this conflict for Klaus and crew, but they've done so at the risk of making these women look petty and vindictive. Klaus deserves it, to an extent. But No one is forcing Cami or Rebeccah to stay. As a matter of fact, ppl have been trying to get Cami to leave, but she just won't do it.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC