A The Originals Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW

The Originals S01E08: "The River in Reverse"

Personally, I would not like to fight off a hundred vampires, especially not without spending at least ten minutes stretching first. The last thing you want to have happen when you're fighting off a hundred vampires is pull a muscle or twist an ankle, you know? Those things would make fighting off a hundred vampires significantly harder than it needs to be, and in my opinion, fighting off a hundred vampires is hard enough. There's no denying this. But sometimes you don't always get a chance to warm up before having to fight off a hundred vampires. Life can be surprising that way. It's like, "Well, this is not an ideal situation in which to fight off a hundred vampires, granted." And you have to sort of just accept it and go right into windmill hitting EVERYBODY. You just gotta do what it takes sometimes, but especially when those times involve fighting off a hundred vampires without a proper warmup. These recaps definitely have a large ghost readership, but I'm guessing for the most part the majority of people reading this are still alive and have not been murdered by a hundred vampires? If so, then you have a lot in common with Klaus from The Originals!

Guess what? "The River in Reverse" was a very good episode in which Klaus fought off a hundred vampires like it was NBD (not bad, dude). That part, and nine other things were the ten best things about this episode. Let's talk about them!

Rebekah snapping Tyler's neck

This was an easy one. Yes, Tyler's been through a lot and this show would really like us to believe that his recent dalliances in villainy are motivated by all his traumas, but I don't care. Tyler seems very sucky to me now and his cavalier attitude toward harming Hayley's unborn child earned him a very deserved neck-snap from an otherwise sympathetic Rebekah. It was certainly no surprise to see her waltz into that vampire back room meeting and have a mini Mystic Falls reunion with Tyler, but the fact that she agreed to help capture her brother while drawing the line at harming her future niece? Amazing. That's just great writing right there. Rebekah is the best.

That one head in The Garden

Look at that guy just chillin' in the floor of The Garden. I'm guessing that's a guy and not just a decorative sculpture? If that WAS a living vampire, whose decision was it to bury him on such a highly trafficked part of the floor? I am not an expert in interior design OR vampire jails, but it didn't seem like a very good place to bury a vampire. How often do people trip over that guy's head? All the time? Maybe that's part of his punishment. Every time he tries to doze off and have a nice dream or just get some high-quality Z's, one of Marcel's minions trips over his face. What a life! Anyway, sleep well buddy.

Elijah's flashback powers

This had already been established in an earlier episode when Elijah had a secret meeting with Rebekah INSIDE HIS BRAIN. But I loved how the flashback element of this episode played out, with a feverish Elijah showing-not-telling Hayley his flashbacks. Too often in flashback episodes it's implied that the person is just remembering something pertinent for the first time or giving some kind of elaborate, detailed monologue or something and it's all so low-stakes and boring. But in this case Elijah was zapping a movie straight into Hayley's brain, and this particular movie was about the time Elijah was super in love with a witch and Klaus casually framed the town's witches for murder, resulting in Elijah's girlfriend's bathtub death. Oh, Klaus. But also, the nice coda to this plotline was how Hayley was able to get over her jealousy toward Elijah's dead Ex and become so invested in his sad story that she demanded he zap the end of the story into her brain as well. Elijah's powers are just a neat trick all around--it's seriously almost on the level of X-Men or something--and I'd love to see more flashbacks integrated into the narrative in these kinds of inventive ways. Very clever, sorry deal w/it.

The duel outfits

Um, obviously the flashback wigs and costumes were going to be 100% excellent and we were NOT disappointed. Waistcoats, tousled rascal wigs. Dueling pistols. There was just A LOT to like. Also, how messed up was Klaus' hobby of entering into duels with local townsfolk knowing he couldn't be killed? No fair, K.

The reverse werewolf curse

This week Hayley finally got to have a convo with that weird blonde werewolf hobo who'd been hanging out in the bushes by her swamp cabin. Her entrance was extraordinary: A feverish Elijah tried to strangle Hayley so much but then this lady busted in and staked him. Then Hayley and this lady Eve made s'mores and told campfire tales about how most of the werewolves died, except for the ones who were cursed with reverse-werewolfism. Which meant that most of the rest of Hayley's surviving relatives were full-time wolves except when they turned human during full moons. Which, how cool! I mean, I'm not sure how that changes the uselessness of werewolves in general, but I love seeing any kind of variation on the lore, you know? Especially if it means the monsters of The Originals will operate by different rules than the ones in Mystic Falls. Plus hopefully this means full moon will happen and there will be a bunch of filthy naked people running around on everybody's lawns. That will be a good episode.

Klaus was worried about Cami

The Originals' recent turn into psychological terror stems mostly from Klaus completely embracing his villain persona. The last episode and especially this one REALLY hit the point home that he's a very troubled person with an increasingly shaky grasp on basic decency, so this subplot involving him wanting to ensure Cami's safety was a necessary reminder of just how complicated he is, and that he remains sympathetic despite all his crimes against loved ones. In this case, Cami had recently read him the riot act and so there's a chance his wish to see her leave town had as much to do with avoiding getting told off again (or her plotting against him). But the larger issue was that he really DID seem to care about her safety and was essentially admitting that he can't really keep people safe even if he wanted to. I mean, how often had Hayley been kidnapped by now? Every day? Keeping people safe is not what Klaus is best at, so reaching out to Cami's uncle to help convince her to leave felt not only very mature of him, it was touchingly heartfelt. At this point I really don't care too much about how Cami factors into this epic battle, but she definitely represents Klaus' last tether to his own humanity, and that makes her more valuable to the show than ever. Who knew?

THE BRAWL

Everything about this brawl scene was a total and utter crowd-pleaser. From all the emotional confrontations (sibling betrayal!) to both sides' hubristic boasts, to the actual, very violent showdown, this was just riveting television. One of my main problems with this series so far has been its insistence that the Mikaelsons aren't as physically powerful as we'd once believed, but nope! This scene showed us just what Klaus-at-full-strength is like, and we were right! He is literally unstoppable. Just after Klaus began to systematically annihilate a hundred vampire goons, Marcel realized what we'd known all along: He could never win, and he only really continues to be alive because Klaus wishes it so. I don't know about you, but I did not expect this episode to end with Marcel pledging complete loyalty to Klaus and Klaus moving back into his old home. Um, is the series over then? Because that was sort of the main goal we'd been led to believe was what mattered. It seems like maybe The Originals finally agreed that maybe there were more interesting stories to tell. But anyway, yes: This was just very good, very entertaining action. More please!

Marcel's speech about loyalty

I honestly cannot count how many times we've seen Klaus look forlorn as someone told him how awful he was. A hundred times? Everyone in Mystic Falls and now everyone in New Orleans has told him to his face that he sucks, but that look on his face as it clearly sinks in... It works on me every time. For someone with a short temper and unquenchable rage, Klaus sure does tolerate armchair analysis from people beneath him. In this particular case though, Marcel gave voice to one of the most obvious lessons Klaus has yet to learn: Loyalty can't be forced. Man, how nasty was it when Marcel concluded with "Enjoy your kingdom," and walked off. So nasty. But earned!

THE MAIN SPEECH THOUGH

Uh, this was basically the spoken version of that brawl from earlier, based on how riveting it was. Joseph Morgan can say literally anything and I'm invested, but in this scene he shouted his siblings down for their betrayals, his tears not only verifying his profound hurt, but perhaps acknowledging his complicity in his own pain (not that he'd ever say that out loud). Oh, and he finally admitted that he was indeed jealous of Elijah's chemistry with Hayley. Which, I'm not saying I'm hoping for a love triangle, but part of me hopes that Klaus will somehow start to fall in love with the woman carrying his child. That just seems like a particularly compelling thread to me, like the psychology of reproduction necessitates that everybody falls in love. I don't know. But anyway, by now we've seen this routine from Klaus so often: He was legitimately in the wrong, yet it was hard not to be moved by his pathos laid bare like this. It's clear The Originals will probably move back and forth between Klaus absolutely f*cking over his siblings and then, somehow, redeeming himself. This speech felt like the last gasp of anguish before he realizes he needs to make amends again. I think? Both Elijah and Rebekah seemed genuinely upset at Klaus' words, but it's still on Klaus to make things right. Unfortunately the episode ended with him moving out of the house and, almost chillingly, ordering Hayley to join him. Poor lady. Hopefully Elijah can zap more sexy movies into her brain to help her stave off boredom.

Cami's secret code

The episode ended with the revelation that Cami had outsmarted her own compulsion by leaving a coded message for herself to discover when Klaus wasn't around to mind-control her. First off, let's be real: Who cares? I truly don't believe Cami can possibly have an impact on Klaus' story, even if they did become sudden adversaries. BUT as far as sheer genius and moxie goes, this was a big moment for finally liking and sympathizing with Cami. Consider me invested, because this kind of cleverness is very, very endearing and compelling to me. Also that code looked so cool? What a cool-looking code! Anyway, suffice it to say Cami isn't leaving town soon. How exactly she'll get involved in a turf war between ancient vampires remains to be seen.

News flash: "The River in Reverse" was another in a recent string of VERY strong episodes, continuing to steer the show into scarier, less predictable, and more compelling waters. I liked it, is what I'm trying to say.

QUESTIONS

... Did you like when Josh drove his car into Marcel's night club?

... Did you laugh when somebody referred to hybrids as a "superior" species?

... Should Celeste have been more careful when taking baths?

... Does Klaus always carry around a pirate doubloon?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2016

Season 3 : Episode 22

262 Comments
Comments (262)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
While it was cool that Cami wrote herself a note, and I mentioned this on this week's episode's thingy as well, just all the straight-lines-will-help-me-remember and the 'you can only remember me when you see me' thing just rang WAY too much Doctor Who. Not that Doctor Who isn't the best show on television now or ever, but really. I know that these writers are great and have fabulous imaginations, so if they could maybe think of something original? Thanks.
Flag
Oh, and as response:

1) YES. At first I was confused why he was only looking out of the top of his tinted window like a mobster, but then I got it and was like, 'OH!'
2) Yes. And Rebekah even mentioned something about vampires being no match for hybrids? I think that was right before she nonchalantly snapped Tyler's neck. Way to provide evidence, Rebekah!!
3) Yes, because really. I know that personally when I take baths while also dating the brother of a homicidal sociopath I am always very careful and make sure said brother stays with me and kisses my feet the ENTIRE time so no one can kill me. All kinds of terrible things could happen!
4) Don't you?? You'd be surprised how often a pirate doubloon comes in handy, and not just when you happen to be fighting a hundred vampires without warming up. I carry around more doubloons than quid, mate.
Flag
Did anybody else feel like Klaus was moving really fast this episode? Just really power-walking everyplace. Good for you, dude. (Really strange random image of Klaus doing Jazzercise what's wrong with me?!?!)
Flag
The fight scene was BADASS.... Awesome that in the previous episodes, they showed him chained up and surrounded, so when Marcel's frizzy haired leuitenant got personal and cut Klaus's face with knife while he was down and punched him, it seemed like that was the personal, almost a spit in his face, moment that he went into hybrid, beast mode of death. I LOVED how Rebekah knew they were all F'd and dropped the dagger before Klaus even looked up with those eyes lit up yellow, and him growling; even though she's an original and had the dagger, I wonder if she dropped it out of regret for betraying her bro, or because she was legitimately terrified of him.. Either way, that was one of the best episodes as far as twists and dialogue... man, that last speech before he told "Little Wolf" to get in the car. "Get in the car little wolf; you can try to fight me, you will lose........as will anybody else that tries to stop you" He is a master manipulator so there is NO telling what his true colors are; maybe he does want to sire a hybrid bloodline, or maybe not
Flag
Hybrids are the superior species
Couldn't show that on tvd, because then that would mean Stefan and Damon would have to die, over and over and over again
Those two are barely 200 years old, they got whooped by Katherine at the same time. You can't kill off your main characters so they had to dumb them down
Flag
I agree with @Tnetennba on everything especially on klous, while he was giving his demn speech I could't help but to think How Dare You!. I disagree about Rebekah though.
Flag

Also, can someone help me with this? I think that the baby's blood making hybrids makes no sense. It feels to me it's connected to TVD's retcon of the doppelgangers...
Breaking the sun and the moon curse meant for Klaus to be full hybrid, but forever alone, since he needed the blood of the doppelganger tied to his curse. So,
1 - I guess he shouldn't be fertile. This has gone the Twilight route, since a monster who thought couldn't procreate had non protected sex and knocked up a girl. Does this mean he never had sex in Mystic Falls before Hailey to find that out?
2 - The baby is "just" a hybrid, why would she be special and be able to replace the doppelganger's blood?
I fear this is retcon 2.0 XD
Flag
The baby could replace the doppleganger's blood as said in the vampire diaries that every spell had a loophole. :)
Flag
That just sounds like the writer's saying, "the why and how don't matter, we can just make it happen, no solid explanation necessary."
Flag
Doesn't sound like a loophole to me... the loophole in Klaus' curse was in fact the existence of the doppelgangers..
Flag
It is a retcon and it sucks. It bastardizes part of Klaus' story which effects both shows, but they've been retconning all over the place so...yeah it's annoying.
Flag
My thoughts on this: Klaus' curse was never actually broken 100%, since he needs the blood of a doppelganger and he was supposed to kill her in the ritual. Actually, Klaus' blood is still cursed not to be enough to create a hybrid since his blood temporarily creates a hybrid and if the new hybrid is not fed on a doppelganger it dies. BUT his son/daughter is a new original hybrid without any curse and its blood is sufficient to create a new hybrid. That's how baby's blood can create hybrids. Klaus himself would be capable of creating hybrids the same way if it wasn't for that curse. Now, I do HATE the baby storyline especially since they made clear that the baby will be x% vampire as well. I mean, it won't age, what the heck? If I was writing the story the baby wouldn't exist but if I was forced to have one in the show, it would be a simple werewolf. With Kathrine he could turn his child to a hybrid when he feels so... Vampire status should not be passed in any other way than the "feed blood-kill" process.
Flag
Not only that, but when everyone said, vampires can't procreate, they said it was the werewolf gene that made it possible. If anything the baby should be a werewolf, and a non-active one at that because werewolves have to kill someone to turn. The baby should not be exhibiting any powers at all, especially vampires ones.
Flag
Now that we know Klaus can procreate I feel made fun of, Klaus' history with Elena is so pointless :( Like on TVD, what is worse than any retcon is that no one has the decency to point these things out.
Flag
True, but he didn't know it back then, so it wasn't pointless, just... unnecessary. :P
Flag
This episode was amazing, I totally felt darkness all over it! It's so over the love triangles and frivolous stuff, the show is dealing with really heavy material. I love the siblings, for different reasons, I love Hailey because she is so badass.
These characters are just so complex and compelling and with so many shades!
Loved Klaus' speech in the end, but I wonder why he's so sure he's more powerful than Elijah and Rebekah together...
Glad the show stopped representing Marcel ad a threat.
Also, werewolf reverse curse! So cool!

Flag
At the point The Vampire Diaries is at right now, I think I like The Originals better. I know most of you already think that, but I tend to like TVD more because it has so many sides (more locations, a whole bunch of different characters, different stories (if you don't think about the love triangle...) While The Originals always has the same look, though I wouldn't go as far as saying "boring") But the writing and overall direction of this show is just so, so, so superior to TVD right now, it's like the writers know that works. I actually care about the characters, and don't know what to expect from the upcoming episodes.

I absolutely loved Klaus' battle with all the vampires, maybe because I for a moment suspected Klaus to lose when they had him all chained up. And the dynamic between Haley and Klaus interests me more than I ever thought it would. The scene where he ordered her to get into his car was genius. I don't know, but unless TVD starts focusing more on the interesting college storyline, I think The Originals will continue to be better than TVD!
Flag
Hailey and Elijah have so much chemistry, but their dynamic doesn't feel forced! Their scenes are so beautiful it hurts, so much better than TVD romances!
Flag
I think you're spot on! Their romance just feels pure.
Flag
what does that have to do with the comment?
Flag
I've been sick the last few days, so I've had nothing to do other than to watch TV shows that are too bad to watch on a good day. So I have watched all 8 episodes of The Originals in two days. The most positive thing I can say so far is that the actors aren't terrible.

The show has far too many problems for me to list them all, so I'm not going to try. But I will mention a few things that have irritated me.

* How am I supposed to care about what happens on a show where all of the titular characters and several of the people around them are entirely unsympathetic? They all deserve to be killed or worse. Take that scene were Klaus and Elijah were reading books for example. There was a dead girl on the table between them. I disliked that neither Elijah nor Rebekah made an attempt to talk to Klaus about it, but what I really hated was that Haley barely even raised an eyebrow about it. When Rebekah dragged the dead body of some young girl whose parents are about to get their lives ruined through the kitchen, Haley was like "oh", and then just smiled at something cute that Elijah said. Great, so she's as bad as the rest of them. The writers could at least have used this moment to show us that Haley is NOT like the rest. Have her get pissed at all of them. Have her get pissed at Elijah in particular, because it should have been a disappointment for her to see that Elijah is OK with it.

* The plan that Rebekah and Marcel came up with was the dumbest thing I've seen on TV since the bacon grease/power cord incident on Hemlock Grove. It was even dumber than the evacuation center incident on The Following. Anyone could see that it wouldn't work. Including Marcel and Rebekah. This level of stupidity is too much for me.

* Rebekah got interesting on TVD when she was lonely and emotionally vulnerable, when she was longing for a better, more normal life. Before that she was boring. Now she's back to being boring again, and the situation she's in ensures that she will stay boring.

* Klaus is the most irritating person on TV. Seriously. He's constantly going on about how everyone is always betraying him, and refuses to take any kind of responsibility for any of his choices. What makes it even worse is that he's so deluded that he doesn't even understand why people are suspicious of him. There's been several scenes with Klaus that made me think of this scene, and in particular Vyvyan's comment at 0:18-0:25:

There hasn't been an episode yet that didn't strengthen my opinion that Klaus should have been killed off years ago.
More+
Flag
OMG, what a great comment, you should repost it on the show's reviews. Agree so much with you!!!

1) I love your mention about the vampire book club scene. Klaus offered this girl to Elijah as a peace offering. Really? Doesn't he know his brother already? But then Elijah let Klaus to kill her, it was something I wasn't expecting from him since he is supposed to be the noble one. And Hayley, yes, she was so "ah, the father of my child just ate, how goodie!". Unsympathetic, exactly as you said. My thoughts on this is that the writers desperately wanted a more mature and darker show and a reminder that the vampires are bringers of death regardless their personality. But, damn, that was SO cheep and unfitting and it contradicts with Elijah's principles. I get that the show (originating from TVD) is new to this effort but they really need to get better at this. There are great ways to show what they wanted but their inexperience resulted in a disaster.

2) Yes, how some dozens of vamps would overpower an Original is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

3) Yes, she is becoming boring again!

4) Couldn't agree more! Klaus is a delusional frenzy psychopath who can always betray his family but they should never do the same. Moreover, as you say, he can't even understand why people are suspicious of him. That only makes him even more hideous.
More +
Flag
Thank you for the positive feedback. I was expecting to only get negative replies, like when I dared to criticize Teen Wolf. :)
Flag
Unbiased and objective reviews are my goal too. No matter how much I like the Original plot, I must be fair and point the weak spots of this show.
Flag
Elijah doesn't really care though. He only looks down on Klaus because he thinks Klaus' behavior is barbaric. It's bad table manners that bother him, not the killing of humans.
Flag
I really didn't see the "Book Club" scene as a big deal on any of the character's part for a few simple reasons. None of the main characters are at all good people. Elijah tends to only get "involved" with beings that are supernatural. From Katherine who was a doppleganger and then a vampie; to the witch in this episodes flashback, to Haley the werewolf. I don't think Elijah reacted because while he isn't particularly violent, he seemed to see the woman as little more than I would if someone offered me a bit of their hamburger.

Haley is probably more twisted than Elijah. In TVD she helped engineer the murder of a dozen each of people, witches, and hybrids that she had helped free of Klaus' influence just for the promise of information on her family. This chick literally helped kill 36 people so she didn't have to do her own research. None of them are good people and I love every minute of this villain on villain show.
Flag
I had forgotten about Haley's part in all that. I've seen those episodes, but I probably wasn't paying much attention to them. I think that your comment about Haley and tdm260's comment about Elijah explain what we saw in the book club scene, but now I care even less about what's happening to these people.
Flag
See I like the Original siblings, Hayley is OKAY, Marcel has grown on me, and I love Davina, but Cami feels useless to me and Sophie is horrible. My problem is the writing. I see potential, but occasionally good scenes, good dialogue with some great one liners, combined with poor explanation for basic character motivations and weak execution of plot points, makes the show mediocre. I keep hoping the writing will improve, but it pretty much stays the same. Not enough for me to stop watching, but not enough for me to love it.
Flag
>These recaps definitely have a large ghost readership,

Not after the anti-phantom bigotry you displayed in your Vampire Diaries recaps...

I quote: "There is virtually nothing worse than a ghost, I know it, you know it, ghosts know it. "

It's bad enough what ghosts take from TV with Ghost Hunters, but now TV commentators are abusing them as well. :-(
Flag
Go klaus go. That fight scene was great but it actually hurt when he pored his heart out to his Elijah and Rebekah and frankly made a damn good point. I'm really loving the relationship development between Haley and Elijah it formed naturally and hasn't been forced, I just hope that klaus can try to allow them to be happy. Over all amazing eposode
Flag
Redemption shouldn't be easy!
Flag
He does have a lot to make up for yes and yes redemption shouldn't be easy at all but in regards to his actions in New Orleans they should have at least thought about it twice before not trusting him
Flag
He made a good point when he suggested that Elijah and Rebekah should have trusted that his intentions were pure? They have known him for a thousand years and his intentions have never been pure. He has killed the people they loved, and kept them daggered in coffins. If anyone ever in the history of the world has proved that he can't be trusted, it's Klaus.
Flag
This goes down as the best episode to date. Some compelling speeches all round and some mighty fine performances. The Originals just uped the stakes.
Flag
When Klaus says Rebekah is "falling for a man she shouldnt be with" the only thing I can think is "YEAH YOU SHOULD BE WITH MATT"
Flag
I could barely get through this episode; Klaus was driving me nuts! So many issues, so little time. I'm literally thinking "I love you but get over yourself" during every scene with him. Guys, even if you're thinking you don't buy Klaus' excuses, even you've gotta admit Joseph Morgan's delivery brings on those feels right quick.
Flag
Klaus is a whiny bitch.
Flag
He really needs character development, even becoming totally evil would be better than this psychotic rant!
Flag
Lmao. Yeah pretty much
Flag
1. Yes
2. Not really but technically they're it's just this show protects people that are main characters and already established. Besides, a hybrid shouldn't be stronger than an older vampire. The age thing is important, they completely ruined that with Enhanced Alaric. That was a pathetic story arc and they ruined Alarc too.
3. I don't care.
4. Yes and more stuff too!

Anyway, okay so let's get on this:

Tyler's neck snepping was deserved because he I don't like him, he's boring.

That head alone in the garden was priceless, I had forgotten about that but that was such a good detail! I hope they reveal what that vampire did to Marcel, would be a funny story arc to follow.

Elijah's flashbacks..sigh. Usually they are great but this was shit. Out of all flashbacks they could have gotten and they pick a damn love scene!? Ugh..
It was fitting considering they had shown Celeste before but I didn't like it, I had hoped for something else like I don't know, something about Elijah's character and not relationship to some person we know is dead. I dig his show-memory-mental stuff like Damon did with Rose, more of that I definitely agree with!

Reverse werewolf curse..neat! I agree about different rules than TVD, hopefully that stays or continues more about it.

The brawl. RIght, it was great and all but did anyone else hoped for that Klaus was going to turn to a wolf once they had subdued him? That would have been a blast and then just ripped through them all in a few seconds considering he gets extra strength and speed once he's turned. Another benefit of being an original hybrid would be free will in werewolf form, it's a pity they never touched that part.

Another part here, why the hell didn't Rebekah attack? She should have attacked first considering her own strength along with the fact that Klaus can't kill her which mean she would have helped tremendously. What a pity..

And a well deserved loyalty can't be forced-speech by Marcel. I hope this will slowly change Klaus to learn this because he needs to accept it. His pathetic attempt to daggering his siblings all the time is a testament to that but at least he didn't do it at the end of the episode.

The last speech was great. It was so great to see Klaus reveal his emotions like that and some of it that he said was true, it was a good moment to show that relationships between people are complicated, even more so when you have known your siblings for a 1000 year and happen to be one marked different. Great acting on Joseph Morgan's part.
More+
Flag
I didn't remember Celeste had already been shown... and agree with on Rebekah! She was the only one who could have take him!
Flag
She was the one Elijah was basically licking in one of the first New Orleans flashbacks when Rebekah said "I remember everything" in the 2nd episode. It seems consistent with his character to show that moment in case he actually loved her and of course Klaus destroyed their relationship because he was left alone but I was hoping for a less predictable flashback since we get so little screen time with Elijah.

One of these days they have got to show us a free-for-all fight between Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah when they are all angry at each other with loads of collateral damage, that would have been fitting in order to establish of how powerful they actually considering they can't do that too much due to the consequences.
Flag
Elijah should be the strongest because he's the elder brother, but since they turned at the same time, they should have the same strenght... why are they impling klaus is stronger???
Flag
Because he was born a werewolf, he's naturally stronger and more aggressive. That power alone likely became amplified when he was turned into a vampire, but I'm not sure how much of a difference there is, these shows are too close to soap operas to care about details like that (even if some of us want to know).

One could argue though that while Klaus is naturally stronger and due to his personality much more experience fighting than Elijah, Elijah has a very, very strong willpower and a much more tuned focus than Klaus it's possible they are very close as long as Klaus doesn't have a dagger, bites or turns to a wolf.
Flag
It was a great episode, the best by far...especially the awesome power of Klaus, and the way his eye turns and he begins to literally kill everyone...will be interesting to see how he manages New Orleans, and now that Klaus has again become the king..Who will be his enemies, some sort of powerful werewolf maybe or a witch...only time will tell
Flag
I really do not get Camy. Why is she even in the show? What is she trying to find out? Or maybe its just that I think she needs to act better. Whatever it is, I feel that she is just an outcast to the otherwise freaking awesome show! :)
Flag
Agreed. The momentum of the show slows to a stop when Cami shows up. Ugh, get rid of her already. Maybe Rebekah can apply one of her quick neck snaps on her!
Flag
What was the point with Rebekah? She gets Marcel to assemble his oh so loyal mini army to trap Klaus but, has the self-evident knowledge that he's going to unleash his inner can of whoopass and take them all out. She must've known Marcel's attempts were futile and I doubt she had the foresight to see Klaus offering the coin as a way of saving Mighty Mou'cel!
Still, Rebekah snapping Tyler's neck gave me a chuckle. That guy has turned into a total mindless dick of late and him sitting like some smug evil genius in that chair had me wanting no less for him.
Hayley likes Elijah but you get the definite air that she likes the bad boy more and I can totally see Klaus unpicking her locks at some stage. Elijah is Mr Nice who gets left by the girl and/or cock blocked at just about every party he shows up for.
Cami is ultimately the type of person that never listens and it can seem endearing at first but I'm so tired of her now. I either want Klaus to get bored of her self-righteous rants and snap her like a twig or, to get Damon to meet her on a bender at the bar and feed on her after getting depressed by her, I'm so bright and doing psychology, spiel. I miss the days in TVD and now TO's where someone slapping one of them equaled a trip to discovering the ultimate question.
Klaus the crying man. Oh please. If he doesn't bitch slap some of those that are still alive who slashed him about, well, I may cry in anger.
More+
Flag
I really want Klaus and Hayley to end up together. They actually have something to build their relationship off of. They both have been abandoned and rejected and have both become damaged by that rejection. They are alike in many ways. I feel Hayley and Klaus could be something beautiful if given the chance. I want to see two damaged people find redemption in one another, instead this good girl (Caroline/Camille) saves "bad boy" trope everyone loves.

I feel like Elijah/Hayley is just too problematic, and quite honestly it feels sort of out of nowhere. I can understand wanting to protect Hayley because of the baby, but beyond that I don't understand his attraction to her. They don't have anything in common from what we can see, and they really haven't built up any real foundation for this relationship. I feel like Elijah likes her because what she represents, a family, something Elijah has always wanted. And so I think Klaus is right when he says he's trying to steal his kid away from him, that is essentially what Elijah is doing, he may not be aware of it, but that's the case here. I also feel Hayley just kind of clung to Elijah because as she said, he was the first person to ever give a damn about her, so I think she kind of just clings to him.

I feel like people ship them because girls usually swoon over long glances and awkward touching, but I'm certainly not one of those. I need a believable romance. Either do it right or just stop.
More+
Flag
you hit the mark there with this comment. Elijah should just give his brother some space so that he can become the person he so desperately wants him to be and to Hayley: I see it exactly the same way as you. Nobody ever really cared for her and here comes the nice guy with a tie and is all gentleman to her? Elijah is the incarnation of the very dream she has of having a family, someone who cares for you despite all the bad things you have done. that's her "weakness" so to speak, that's what she seeks all the time in the Bayou. I don't think Elijah gets that he pushes her buttons regarding her past but i hope he will very soon, or it will not end well for the both of them (and break his heart should he really fall for her).

Klaus and Hayley both could gain strength out of their very wish to be the parents to that baby that they both so desperately wanted for themselves. that could be one awesome relationship, romanticaly or not, i don't care.
Flag
Maybe in the minority but I still find Cami utterly useless and uninteresting even with codes. In fact thanks to the reviewer, I remember her name. Some can say Marcel lost; but did he really. The problem with Klaus is he always gains objects but he never quite gains the innate things that make them special. As far as Klaus's speech....kind of over it. They betray each other because that's what they do....why is it suddenly a problem now. Should be interesting to see Klaus try to make Hayley like him more than Elijah...I'm sure instead of doing it with niceties; Klaus will try by force which will put him right back where he was. Klaus just never learns. As far as Tyler, kind of glad sucky Tyler is back. Tyler was sucky when we first met him in mystic falls and he matured out of it. And what did he get for his maturity , dead father and dad mother, so now sucky Tyler back.
Flag
On Hybrids

So Hybrids are actually awesome... Ok hear me out So every reason it is awesome to be a vampire applies to being a hybrid since hybrids have all the powers of a vampire and far few weaknesses.

They don't need daylight rings and they are immune to stakes. John Gilbert easily killed Pearl a 400 year old vampire by simply sniping her with a stake.

To kill a Hybrid you need to get up close and personal and be a supernaturally powerful person yourself.

Vampires get stronger over time and the Hybrids are babies. they aren't getting any time to mature and grow into truly powerful creatures and that is Klaus' fault since he constantly puts them in harms way or kills them himself
Flag
hybrids are technically more powerful- you are right. The thing about ALL these supernatural beings is, it doesn't matter how powerful you are, you have to be smart. And quick. And trained. Oldness helps, but it's not a decisive factor. Like when Elena could beat Caroline because Alaric trained her or when Finn was killed by..wasn't it like Matt or something? Damon-we can guess, has learned how to fight over the years, and his crazy factor gives him, what I would like to call "the Deadpool advantage" - (cuz Deadpool from Marvel is a powerful character, but more importantly, he is a psychotic character )remember when Damon just ripped that hybrids heart out at Klaus's party? That young hybrid A.wasn't trained and B. was too confident in his hybridness. Damon-being unpredictable gives him his greatest advantage. Hell, even though Klaus is the most powerful creature in this universe, I still think he would be taken down if not for his mind. He is crafty, and like Damon, unpredictably insane!
Flag
That moment when the music started and Klaus just started fighting the vampires was just awesome AHHHH replayed the whole fight scene three times.
Flag
I'll say it, I felt nothing during Klaus's speech because I'm so sick of that little abuser crying and chastising his siblings for "betraying him" and playing victim and re-writing history and treating his family like his employees (lots of ands basically) while taking absolutely no responsibility for his actions or WHY his sibilings felt the need to go against him.
Flag
preach
Flag

Loved the whole episode!!! The part that made me laugh was when Marcel told Klaus that he thought he could take him with that many vamps. I loved that Klaus's story line this week basically involved several people telling him things he really needed to hear, especially after 1000 yrs, and yet I still had an almost overwhelming desire to hug the homicidal maniac as he stood cry/screaming at his siblings. WHERE IS CAROLINE?!!!!!!
Flag
fave photo recap - That one head in the Garden

lol Price.

Flag
Rebekah's confession at the start of the episode didn't seem to have a pay off. The whole episode I thought she was going to betray Marcel that Klaus manipulated her somehow, but no she just couldn't go through with it, in daggering Klaus.
Normally when a story start with a confession then flash back to the events leading up to the confession, you end the story with the end of the confession Now I'm not really sure what she is confessing to be honest.

besides that if there is a need for another spin off my vote is for.
Rebekah's confessions, A thousand years of sin.
Flag
She can't dagger Klaus. Klaus is a hybrid and silver makes werewolves stronger. So the silver dagger that incapacitates Originals don't work on Klaus (since he's part werewolf). Which is why he is so quick to dagger his siblings, because they can't gang up on him and dagger him in return.
Flag
Rebekkah is so cool, no matter what she does...
Poor Elijah, so sad to see him sick and having flashbacks...not of me, but some Celeste girl...lol...
Cool Marcel declaring a war and how Klaus was like, i smell a war coming to the priest...please let Cami leave...he likes her, but never will admit i think...like anything else..
bad Bad Tyler....Go Bekah, snappning his neck and putting him in the garden..
So Celeste was a witch and thanks to Klaus, Elijah lost her...
The fight between KLaus and the vamps was awesome!!! Loved every second of it...Klaus was soooo cool! In the end Marcel picked up the coin...Marcel from all the people..now he has to obey Klaus...
Wow, so Klaus looked so different in the flashback, with his long haird...nicer..
Casey finally got more info about her family...love her character, but felt sad for her in the car. She really likes Elijah, but is now stuck with Klaus..
Loved the scene with Marcel, when he gave a speech to Klaus
Sometimes i really feel sorry for Klaus, but then the next minute i am like, WHY???
Flag
Watching Klaus go through all the vamps... Its gonna really suck to be Bonnie when they cross over
Flag
good episode... i am starting to get tired about the psychopathic Klaus... he's either good or bad...is time to pick a side...
loved the scene when Klaus was all weak... to give them a chance to pick the coin... and then showed them what he really can...
also loved the scene when Elijah came to Hayley and Eva and... complained about an aching pain in his back :-)))
Flag
Even though I am kind of bummed that Cami isn't leaving (I knew it was too good to be true) I do think that this was one of the best episodes so far. Practically every scene with Klaus was magic and I also really loved the confrontation between him and Rebekah. Also, where is Davina? I miss that witch!
Flag
Great review as always, Price. I loved the episode.

Loved the fight scene even though it was dumb. Why was Klaus the only one who could jump onto the walls, can't all vampires do that? And the 100 vampires had those spiky things but really didn't use them. I mean if the plan is to subdue Klaus by siccing 100 vampires on him, why did most of them just stand around waiting their turns to punch him? What terrible fighters. I could probably beat up some of those vampires and I'm a girl.

However, Klaus sure did come off as a badass and it was fun to watch.

I also think the reverse werewolf curse is very clever and a breath of fresh air, and funny. They must be very used to living as wolves and then suddenly for one night per month they're human. Seems inconvenient. But it's very entertaining. I'm tired of witches whose powers really seem completely arbitrary.

As to Klaus' speech to Elijah and Rebekkah about his hurt feelings - whatever. He could easily give the reverse speech an hour later. Or they could give it to him. That's all been done before. However, I do like his growing feelings for the baby and sure hope they are real.

More+
Flag
Price... Can I pay you to review my life? Just at the end of every day. Things would just be so clear. I would make way better decisions & kill way more vampires.
Flag
1. I am so weirdly invested in the specifically Original characters that I really hoped after Josh gave Klaus that message he ran to the church so Davina could protect him.

2. Yes there is something so sad that Tyler is the surviving species. But in the back of my head I was kind of grinning. As I imagine she is entering her second trimester the baby is not going to let anyone fuck with her mommy anymore. Or that until the baby is old enough any hybrids are made they are sired to Hayley.

4. Ha...so our team we root for from all evidence so far...Elijah Rebekkah Hayley Marcel and Davina (and respective hanger ons like I assume Marcel digs up Tourierry Davina has Josh etc).

5. Don't you?
Flag
Yes! Team Elijah Rebekkah Hayley Marcel and Davina (and respective hangers on like Tierry and Josh etc).
Flag
All I could think of when Tyler was praising the feats of the hybrids is how much you harp on them, Price (and rightly so!!!). He deserves a thousand neck snaps, but at least Rebekah is on the right track. She gets it. I wish other people would get it, too, and then the douche could just remain with a broken neck for all eternity. Ugh Tyler. He switches shows and he's still my least favorite.

That brawl scene was amazing, and I really loved this episode, but I felt a bit like something was missing from it. It took me until the end to realize what I was missing was Davina. She's so awesome.

Is it just me, or are there very few people who can make the word poppycock sound like a credible, amazing threat? Hats off to Joseph Morgan because he is one hell of an actor... that last speech was truly heart-breaking.
Flag
Great episode, but for me, Klaus' speech was very false - obviously not from his point of view, but for everyone else involved. This meant his feelings of betrayal never really hit home for me.
Its pointed out by literally everyone he speaks to that his situation always turns out bad because of his own actions - but he chooses to ignore that.
I do hope they let him evolve a bit - and I actually believe he wants the baby for the reason he gave, but if his character doesn't change then the series will run into the same problems as TVD - the characters stagnate
Flag
Like Rebekah told Klaus, there is something fundamentally wrong with him. He punishes his siblings disloyalty by biting and plunging an enchanted dagger into their hearts and wonders why they don't trust him? Even Cami called Klaus out saying he doesn't trust anyone and saying that he was the architect of his own unhappiness. Klaus is too scared to trust anyone so he compels Cami to go to him because he has no one to talk to and he wants desperately to be understood and then compels her to forget.
The best moment was when Rebekah saw Klaus' eyes change and she knew there was no way to defeat him. It was a poignant scene when Elijah pulled away from Haley, because Klaus would probably harm anyone who might compete with him for his siblings loyalty and love.
Flag
I ship Elijah with Hayley, but I do see Klaus's point in all that. All in all, loved the episode.

Joseph Morgan should win a whole lot of awards!
Flag
your just the best reviewer. can you do all my shows?
Flag
Not sure if I'm alone in this but I find the back and forth with Klaus quite irritating. Not only does he bounce from outright villain to sympathetic anti-hero but it happens so often and so rapidly that it's giving me whiplash.
Flag
Fantastic review as always.
Flag
why did they have to burn the vamps that Klaus "killed"? They're vampires, a snap neck/spine ain't gonna kill them. Yeah that one that Klaus bit may be a goner, but still not that fast.

Flag
A lot of them he ripped their heart out of their chests.
Flag
He bit at least one and pulled out a few hearts, too. I agree with you, though - they definitely all should not have been dead.
Flag

Bloody brilliant episode!
When Klaus looked up with those yellow hybrid eyes and started growling, cut to Rebeckahs perfect "Oh, we're fucked now" expression.., really gave me the shivers. One of the best scenes in both TVD and TO-history.
It actually reminded me of a very smiliar scene from a Don Rosa-comic about Scrooge McDucks youth where he is beaten and chained up just like Klaus, but on a steam boat. The antagonist insults his family and Scrooge looks up with those same eyes of cold fury, he then proceeds by beating up the entire crew and also sink the whole steam boat for good measure. Oh childhood memories!
Flag
I know, that look on her face was amazing. . . I thought she was just making the face because she feared what would happen if he ever escaped the Garden, but then I realized she knew something I didn't. . . Klaus was about to seriously murder everybody!
Flag
I found the episode weak, better than the last two but not as good as the first four... Klaus' scene was crappy and even then we don't get to see the violence an original should project in a situation like this... They shouldn't be able to chain him in the first place. But the whole plan to take him down was SO stupid and doomed to fail that reminded me "TVD S4". I thought and I still hope THE ORIGINALS to be far superior show than TVD but plots like this test my statement. And Rebekah... How can see go on with a plan like this? Doesn't she know her brother better? She thought 50 vamps will overpower an original? Those freaky vamps are supposed to be immortal and indestructible. A clever plan was to immobilize him and drain him of his blood to dessicate him with Rebekah and the oldest vamps holding him. Davina and her telekinetic abilities could do that as well. I would love to see Klaus floating and immobilized with telekinesis in the air with a hole on his neck and his blood being extracted and telekinetically flying around him. Oh well, that's descent writing I hope we will eventually see on this show. Klaus' speech was touching but when coming from a psychopath freak like him means nothing to me. Once again he was shown to be heartbroken almost making us believe that it's his siblings the evil ones, not him. Last but not least, Cami's code was simple yet brilliant. But I really don't see why Klaus let the press take him a picture back then when his father was trying to find them...
More+
Flag
It was already established on TVD that vampires can show other people their thoughts and that they can manipulate dreams.
Flag
but they never used it, not really, except damon
Flag
They didn't use it a lot (Damon used it a few times and we also saw Katherine and Sage use it), but they still made it clear that it's an ability vampires have.
Flag
Oh, and they can read the thoughts of other people/vampires. Basically, they can get into people's heads and let other people into theirs. So what Elijah did in this episode wasn't anything new.
Flag
No but they never used to advantage, like the fog and the crow, it gets swept under the rug. Not new, much much cooler
Flag
I have been saying that "The Originals" is the best new fall show and "The River in Reverse" only enhanced my point great episode
Flag
1. Haha yes is was awesome!
2. Always makes me laugh. Clearly Tyler is just insisting that he's superior because he feels a deep need to be relavent.
3. Maybe she should try showers?
4. God, I hope so.
Flag
1) Oh boy that fight scene looked good but what a stupid plan.
I mean they might as well have just tried to stall until Devina is ready, since she is the ace in this game and clearly even Bonnie managed to overcome Klaus multiple times.

Or how about Marcell order one of the witches in town to cast something on Klaus. They are still under his control, right?

What about chugging tons of Vervain on him? It clearly affects originals as that is pretty much how Elena and Jeremy killed Kol.

Just randomly tossing vamps at him? That was incredibly stupid.
And Rebekah should have known it wouldn't work, no excuses.

2) Elijah really wants to build up the family and not kill Klaus?
Really Elijah? Cause when you first came to Mystic Falls you were going to kill him. That's what you asked Elena and co to help you do. The only reason you didn't was because you thought the rest of the family was dead and Klaus told you that wasn't true.

Then when they undaggered him and his siblings, they all turned on Klaus instantly and they were going to kill him if Esther hadn't shown up.

3) So Tyler is credited as "special guest star" but still under "starring" in TVD. How many episodes are they going to drag his (lack) of appearance on this show?

4) So how of all of the flashbacks we have seen on this show... Not a single one of them had Kol or Finn in it? Yeah, yeah, I know the actors aren't around, but would it kill the writers to just mention their names (yeah, Rebekah mentioned them to Marcell, but that was a plot device. I'm talking about the fact they were a family once).

More+
Flag
Haha, why are you so great at planning an immortal hybrid attack? :D
Flag
Only great words to express the euphoric state i was, during the entire episode...just pure greatness! VD never brought that so far, and i guess it never will.
Flag
Another great episode! I think that the writers saw the mistakes (love triangles, clueless humans/adults, etc.) that were made with TVD and have actually learned from them. This is a more grown up version of TVD and I like it!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members