The Originals Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

A little help with timelines

krynitekry

[1]Oct 21, 2013
    • level: 3

So, according to Silas from Vampire Diaries, he's over 2,000 years old because of an immortal spell. Now, the Originals is supposed to be the "Original" Vampires, a spell from their witch mother, and they're 1,000 years old. Am I wrong here?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

darkbender24

[2]Oct 21, 2013
    • level: 12

IDK their age exactly but I do know sylas is older than the originals.

Twezzy90

[3]Oct 22, 2013
    • level: 2

You are not wrong, but a common misconception is that Silas is a vampire. He's immortal and he drinks blood, but apparently he's not a vampire. So yes he's older than The Originals and they are the first vampires in history.

summyc

[4]Nov 25, 2013
    • level: 1
    Silas was a powerful warlock/witch, not a vampire. He was cursed with immortality by his ex-witch girlfriend.

AubreeWard

[5]Dec 28, 2013

I hope this gives a little clarity both to you and others who read it. I've actually studied both the original (no pun intended) show, The Vampire Diaries, as well as our spin off, The Originals. I won't go into the why's and what-fore's of it all when it comes to my copious study of both television series.

If a fan of one or both shows just watches it for purely entertainment value, i.e. what's presented just on the surface of the storytelling, then they are missing out on A LOT of information and underlying story telling, symbolism and much more that all coalesce together to give us these two great shows that we love.

As for the time lines...here goes...

SILAS = roughly over 2,000 years old. He is NOT a vampire. He has none of their abilities such as speed, strength, compulsion. He can use mind control with his 'big brain' of his when he's hopped up on blood or when Stefan isn't constantly getting his neck broken by his brother...lol. Basically his only real super weapon is his mental abilities...when he has them.

The ORIGINALS = The originals are not just 1,000 years old. They are actually quite a bit older. It has been mentioned in the show several times but not during big discussions so it is easily missed. If you go back through last 1/2 of season 2 and then season 3 (tiny bit in Season 4, though not much since the Originals have already been properly introduced to the audience) you'll learn that basically when they tell people 'it's been a thousand years', they're pretty much just rounding the numbers. As it's been pointed out, Elijah is "very careful with his words" and this applies to Niklaus as well. It's often missed due to his petulant naughty boy behavior. We've all heard that information is power (as well as family) and the Originals are very careful about the information they dole out. While we *think* we know all about them, we don't. Though in the episodes to come that will change I'm sure. If I look at all the tidbits of info I've picked up on then I'd place my guess on the Originals being roughly between 1,300 and 1,400 years old, in truth.

Goqklf56

[6]Jun 2, 2014
    AubreeWard wrote:
    If I look at all the tidbits of info I've picked up on then I'd place my guess on the Originals being roughly between 1,300 and 1,400 years old, in truth.

Interesting idea the Originals being older than 1000 years, I had that theory myself for reasons you specified as well but why in particular do you think they are between 1,300 and 1,400 years old?