The Others

NBC (ended 2000)

rapturerogue

The Others Fan Reviews (3)

• Yet another great series killed off before it's time.

Sigh. I've written way too many reviews for shows that burned brightly before being snuffed out by the powers that be. Brilliant. So atmospheric. "The Others" was really hitting it's stride before being rudely taken off our screens, leaving us with a gut-wrenching cliff-hanger that will never be resolved. But still, it brought us many happy memories of evil wallpaper, haunted planes and my favourite - Kristen Cloke saying four words I'd normally never find bloodcurdling - "What do you want?". RIP "The Others" - may you live on in the afterlife - a heaven hopefully without network executives...
  • Yet another show that never got a chance.

I was so disappointed when they canceled this show. It had barely begun before they canceled it. Sure it was an odd show, kind of off the path of what was 'normal', but it was still a GREAT show.

I love the entire premise of people, born with powers that allowed them to see and understand things beyond humanity's narrow perception. Each character had unique skills, and the groups desire to help society with their skills was admirable. Sure, it required stretching your beliefs, but so did the X-Files, or Buffy.

NBC never gave this show a chance. It's so typical of today's networks to not even give a show a chance to catch on. The biggest hits on TV have always started out small, but grown to have a large devoted following. Seinfeld didn't start out a smash hit, it's following grew slowly, mostly by word-of-mouth.
    Networks need to give shows the opportunity to be hits, it's not just the immediate successes that will last for years.
  • It never got the chance it deserved

This is one of the shows I actually scheduled around because I wanted to see how they would twist things for another hour. The characters were diverase and interesting. It was imaginative and funny and never given a chance to grab an audience. It was just getting to a real interesting point when it was cut short.