The Outer Limits - Original

A Feasibility Study

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Apr 13, 1964 on ABC

• My rating: 5 - Good

A good episode but a bit slow. The Luminoid alien race seemed powerful, even though they were largely immobile (they were basically rocks). The opening space sequence is fun, with planets and stars passing by the camera. The Luminoid spaceship looks like an aluminum badminton birdie, but it's teleportation of the Earth neighborhood is effective, anyway. It is difficult to interpret the "borders" of the teleported community. When the doctor walks through the fog, I guess it represents the end of the Earth neighborhood and the beginning of the planet Luminous. The scene that shows the doctor wandering through fog and past large rocks is effective. It features more mobile (yet still slothful) Luminoids, who pop up from behind the rocks. This comes off as a pretty silly attempt to scare the viewer. I assume these are younger Luminoids who have not yet been immobilized by their advancing age. The infected Earthlings are disappointingly reminiscent of zombies with shiny sores on them. What keeps this episode from being more enjoyable is the casting. The two main female characters played by Joyce Van Patten and Phyllis Love seem lost here, and the male leads of Sam Wanamaker and David Opatoshu are bland. The ending portrays a great sacrifice made by the abducted neighborhood residents.

My rating: 5 - Good