The Outer Limits - Original

Cold Hands, Warm Heart

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 26, 1964 on ABC

5.9
  • My rating: 7 - Very Good

"Cold Hands, Warm Heart" is a nice story about a man saved by the love of his wife (it may also have something to do with a blood transfusion he receives). The entertainment is mostly provided by William Shatner, who grins and grimaces his way through this episode about an astronaut who travels to Venus and returns to Earth with more than the common cold. Shatner plays the part of Brig. Gen. Jefferson Barton, who heads up Project Vulcan, a program to colonize Mars. However the first step Barton takes is to Venus. Here he loses track of about 8 minutes, which we find out later in his dreams, was spent having a close encounter with a Venusian. Barton first sees the Venusian through a "porthole" on his ship, the alien floating eerily into view through the fog. If you are spoiled by 21st Century special effects, the Venusian will be a major disappointment as it is easily recognizable as a puppet on strings (yes, the strings can be seen on occasion). If you are able to excuse this, the Venusian plays a credible threat to Barton. Once Barton returns to Earth, he is unable to keep warm and experiences a number of sickly fits, finally escalating to a moment when he knocks his wife unconscious and breaks into the space agency offices where he is captured. Once controlled, Barton confronts the Venusian in his dreams while sedated. The ending is satisfying and ends on a optimistic note for Barton and his dedicated wife. "Cold Hands, Warm Heart" is a long way from a heady story, but its all textbook Shatner, which means it should be a treat for Star Trek fans and lovers of '50s science fiction.
  • Acceptably written and fair acting, not hard science fiction but mildly interesting, worth watching.

This was an acceptably written episode; the dialog was kind of corny, the story was not compelling. Kind of hammy acting, the presentation evoked little emotion; it did not much matter to me if the general recovered or not. Not hard science fiction, but mildly interesting. There was no resolution to what the creature was, what it wanted, what it did to the general. cool looking monster, worth watching.

The show was canceled a year before I was born and I watched re-runs every Sunday afternoon. This show along with The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents planted the science fiction bug in my mind and after 1000's of books and movies I still love this show.
  • Slow-paced and maudlin

1.5
    This was one of the worst episodes, hands down. First, it featured a completely predictable plot that took FOREVER to unwind because the pacing was slower than syrup in winter, added to the most ridiculous over-emotional acting performed by William Shatner (who's a ham anyways), all topped off by the relentless and generic theme -- love conquers emotional distance. Comparing this to other episodes like "Demon with a Glass Jaw", makes me wonder how they were the same show -- apparently the quality control was a hit-or-miss affair. I suppose this episode was groundbreaking, however, for bored housewives who needed a little something different mixed with their soap opera!
  • A space explorer William Shatner pre Star Trek, mans a mission to the planet Venus. He returns with more than scientific knowledge.

This was just plainly awful. You could see it was cheaply made. I remember this when I was 7 years old. Back then it was thrilling but now it's just a piece of crap. You can see the wires holding the creature. Plus you hjave Shatner pre Star Trek. I have to be honest I have never liked him and never will. From his appeances on The Twilight Zone to Star Trek to his LOW budget movies from the seventies he reaks. He over acts plus is just silly sometimes. His character comes back to earth with a bad case of web fingers. He changes.