The Outer Limits - Original

Controlled Experiment

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jan 13, 1964 on ABC

7.9
  • Two Martians investigate the Earthling habit of murder. They observe a killing as it happens. Despite a thorough look at the event, including a speeding up and slowing down of the action, they are at a loss to understand the reasons for this behavior.

4.5
    This episode had both good and bad elements. On the positive side, it is interesting to look into the psyche of a killer. I must also say (as a man) that the femme fatale struck a stunning image (I imagined her in a red dress). It was also nice to see a pre-Archie Carroll O'Connor. On the negative side, I thought that it was against the policy of the show to do any funny episodes (and the way it was carried out--with the back and forth editing--was funny, or at least mildly amusing). Also, the logic behind the **spoiler alert** conclusion was faulty. The Martians did not see the man shot, because he wasn't shot. His coat pocket was shot, and the cigarette case prevented the bullet from entering his body.