The Outer Limits - Original

Cry of Silence

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 24, 1964 on ABC

7.1
  • Oliver Douglas and his first wife attacked by tumbleweeds several years before he marries Eva Gabor and moves to Green Acres.

5.5
    I had not seen this show since I was a teen. Though I respect the story concept, it made me snicker - the actors fending off tumbleweeds thrown at them by off camera stagehands then frog attacks..I mean..frog attacks??? The rocks were more weird and frightening and groups of snarling coyotes would have better than tumbleweeds and rubber frogs (though I understand it was probably to costly for coyotes). It was also obvious so much was done on a closed soundstage that I kept waiting for a crew member to accidently walk through the background The actors were fine, except June Havoc yelling "Andy!...Andy!" through the whole show. What about Eddie Albert telling Havoc he would give up the idea of becoming a farmer! This was before Green Acres, which made the line so funny to me (what a great parody it would make if the farmer had turned out to be Mr. Haney)!
  • Well written and good acting. Interesting story, well worth watching.

This was a well written episode; the dialog and behavior of the characters was believable under the conditions of the story. Good acting, the presentation evoked thought; this type of contact seems to be the most likely considering the light speed barrier to space travel. Interesting science fiction story. Well worth watching.

The show was canceled a year before I was born and I watched re-runs every Sunday afternoon. This show along with The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents planted the science fiction bug in my mind and after 1000's of books and movies I still love this show.
  • You gotta love this show.

The nature of this show is to be gritty and make us question the world we live in. The episode makes us do just that. You do have to consider that this is an old show, so no flashy special effects, and to me that makes it better.
    In this episode we see the struggle of two people, both with themselves, and the strange things happening around them.
    Any viewer cant help but get drawn into the struggle, and question where the story is heading.
    I wish shows these days were written as well as this episode. Maybe then it would be worth watching TV and putting up wit the ads.
  • The best of the series!

This episode of "The Outer Limits" is one of the best if not the best. Dealing with extraterrestrial life coming to Earth in a completely different form and trying to communicate with the inhabitants is a real thought provoking aspect of science fiction. The use of harsh, contrasty scenes adds impact to the "silence" aspect of the failed communication. Arthur Hunnicutt is outstanding as the farmer at odds with the alien life forms assimilating the tumbleweeds.