The Outer Limits - Original

Demon With A Glass Hand

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 17, 1964 on ABC

• Hand of Fate

This is my second favorate tale in this series and it was written by one of my favorate sci-fi writers Harlan Ellison whom is a great visionary of sci-fi but also infused humanity in the stories which made them memorable. This tale also might have been a partial inspiration to "The Terminator" franchise.

The name of the game is isolation and it's sort of a fugative actioner sci-fi style. Robert Culp is great at the role of Trent. You really feel a sense of pathos for this guy who is being chased by aliens that want to kill him and he doesn't know why. He's trapped in a building in a force field he can't excape. But most of all he doesn't know who he is or even why he is the key to the future.

The dynamic with the girl I thought was decent even though she really doesn't do much for the story nor does the dynamic between the two add up to much so I though she was sort of a weak point and probably unnessary for the story.

However it's really the dynamic with the hand that I like, I even like the look of the hand even though he can't flex his fingers, but I'd perfer that pratical effect over a CGI hand which might look crappy. Anyway I like the voice of it and what it says to Trent which keeps us intregued but also at the same time makes us feel dread as it paints section by section a bleak picture in our imaginations of the future of humanity. Trent finding one finger after another for the hand really adds to the suspense because it's like a math equasion that is constantly adding up to something we don't know what.

I only have one real quib about the episode, one were the aliens I thought they were lame looking. I know that it's the 60's and I know that this is a TV show which means budget limitations but "Star Trek" was able to pull of some good effects with it's limited budget, I don't see why they couldn't or they could of tried harder. They should of made the aliens look like the "Predator" aliens or something to least make them menicing. So the look of the aliens does hurt this episode a bit for me.

The ending is sad and just like Trent really made me feel alone, as we discover who Trent is and is role for mankind's future. Being a hero or leader to many can sometimes be a cruel fate.