The Outer Limits - Original

Nightmare

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Dec 02, 1963 on ABC

• Preposterous premise

An utterly preposterous premise deep-sixes this one for me. Also I must say that the atmosphere seems to resemble a bit more an encounter group than a POW camp. ;)
  • A group of international prisoners are tortured, one by one, physically and psychologically, by alien beings. They accuse each other of giving up some information . Only gradually does the reason for their imprisonment and interrogation become known.

From the beginning, this episode looked like a play. It was well-acted, and it was interesting to see a young Martin Sheen. He even reminded me a little of James Dean. The only reservation I have about the show was **spoiler warning** the ending. Why would the United States Government torture soldiers? I shared the indignatioon of the leader (Ed Nelson). Another strange part was when he was being questioned, and he fell asleep. The images were strange. I think the weirdest was the prisoner who had the object which looked like a giant light on his chest. Very disturbing.
  • An outstanding episode to watch!

This episode is one of my personal favorites from this series. Set some time in the future, it shows a group of soldiers involved in war with an unseen enemy ( at first ) who are captured and put into a holding area. One by one, the alien holding them takes each of them out of the area and tries to extract information via the use of a variety of torture methods. As the tension rises among the captives, they start to accuse each other of caving in to the aliens' demands. The surprise twist that is revealed near the end is given additional emphasis when the tension between the prisoners explodes into open conflict.

Nightmare is an outstanding example of what the series is trying to achieve: tell a story and make the viewer think about what they have seen at the same time. The acting is stellar and the episode, despite its basis, plays out in a way that doesn't stretch credibility too much. Highly recommended!