The Outer Limits - Original

ABC (ended 1965)

Gislef

The Outer Limits - Original Fan Reviews (19)

• Nice Show.

4.9
    If you wanted to know what really good,really spectacular effects along with a good story for maximum effort,then this show set the standard for all science fiction shows as we know it today. And for good reason. For one the stories were based on science fiction subjects ranging for nuclear explosions,aliens and extraterrestials from another world(and some of the most scariest monsters on TV back then!),and creatures from beyond the depths of imagination,and secondly humans who tried to communicate beyond the point of other dimensions and other lifeforms. This show came along with the status of other science fiction shows that domination TV sets throughout the 1960's,with titles like "The Twilight Zone", "Boris Karloff's Thriller","Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea","Lost in Space","Star Trek",and the UFO series "The Invaders". In my opinion about this show it scares the daylights out of me everytime I see it. The new version doesn't have a clue to what the original was like,and to me the original rules. Point Blank. Even though it ran for three seasons on ABC(from 1963-65),and brought some of the most electrifying special effects ever devised for TV(it would have really fantastic if the original series were in color in 65 but the entire series was shown in black and white). I happed to catch one of the episodes recently(the one I saw featured Leonard Nimoy,aka Mr. Spock years later on Star Trek)and blessed the sci-fi channel for bringing them back.
  • Its not as good as the twilight zone but it's still great.

The outer limits is not as great as the twilight zone but it's still a great scifi classic. I consider the twilight zone the greatest scifi show of all time because of things like twist endings, morals, plots. The outer limits has these things but it just doesn't match the twilight zone. Unlike the twilight zone an outer limits episode is an hour so therefore it'll start off slower but ultimately they'll both challenge your assumptions. Their both great shows I personally like the twilight zone more. I'm not a big fan of the newer outer limits series, but I the twilight zone, revivals and the movie.
  • One of the great sci-fi shows of all time....!

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that the original version of Outer Limits should be hailed as one of the best science fiction based series ever done for television. Each episode was built around a plot rooted in science fiction that ranged from aliens coming to Earth to the interaction of people from the future with the present and so forth. The writing for the series was top notch with solid pacing and great acting in virtually every episode.

There are many episodes this reviewer could recommend starting with ' Demon With a Glass Hand', an award winning episode written by legendary science fiction author Harlan Ellison. Other episodes that are very good to watch include ' Don't Open Till Doomsday ', ' I, Robot ', ' Architects of Fear ' and ' The Invisibles'. The only flaw that the show has is that the producers were somewhat limited in budget which means some of the aliens/monsters you see are dated compared to the present day shows. However, this does not affect the enjoyability of the episodes to any great degree and is quite forgivable.

To conclude, this reviewer highly recommends this series for fans of science fiction as well as anyone looking for something that is thought provoking and plain fun to watch.
  • There is nothing wrong with this review - do not attempt to adjust it.

This may not be one of the best shows of all time, but at the same time, I really can't see why anyone could say this is a bad program. Maybe it's because the show hasn't aged as well as some people might have hoped.

The mixture of the scripts - sci-fi, horror and fantasy - is great. Although the original "Twilight Zone" (which I believe aired around the same time - and which many people have compared to this series) is better, this show remains to still be a great golden oldie. Still very much recommended to fans of this genre.
  • An absolutley fantastic sci-fi series.

An absolutley fantastic sci-fi series. This is one of the best of all time. I have some on VHS and would love to get them on DVD if they are available. This was another show like Twilight Zone that because of the great writing got big stars of the day to do the show. It would be the equvilant of Tom Cruise, Bruce willis or Samuel L. Jackson doing a twilight zone or outer limits today. I can recall one episode off hand that delt with 2 creatures that came from the future (kind of like in terminator) and were trying to kill each other. I'm sure this show is the basis of a lot of movies over the years.
  • The Outer Limits first aired 9/63 with "The Galaxy Being". The episodes varied in their content.They dealt with either space creatures,monsters,the evolution of man,time travel,etc. Great Sci-Fi series which IMHO was too deep for most at the time.

I caught every episode of The Outer Limits from the premiere episode to the last. Some well known actors of today were in many of the episodes like Robert Duvall("The Inheritors","The Chameleon").The Inheritors was one of my favorites. Leonard Nimoy("I, Robot" and a bit part in "Production and Decay of Strange Particles"),Martin Landau, Robert Culp,Donald Pleasence,David McCallum ("The Sixth Finger")which was a very cool episode,and many other actors and actresses which would be too much to list. This series was ahead of it's time. It followed the genre of "The Twilight Zone" however it had more detail. Some of the episodes were mediocre like filler episodes,but most of them were quite enjoyable and original. I think my favorite one was called "Expanding Human". It dealt with the evolution of the mind and body through the use of certain chemicals. Of course the emotions of the individual did not enhance which brought about his ultimate demise. James Doohan had a small role in this episode as Police Lt. Branch. Another favorite was "The Zanti Misfits" Bug like creatures who are convicts from another world are transported to earth with the cooperation of the US military, however things get fouled up by the intervention of a civilian(Bruce Dern) and the convicts rebel or should I say riot. Anyway I could review every episode which here is not the place, but all an all The Outer Limits was a great series in the early sixties. A+
  • Decent storyline on man's attempt to communicate with outer space (read SETI).

Decent story line, reasonable use of special effects for a 1st episode---however, the dialogue was strained and conversation between the husband and wife was tired and grew monotonous. Interesting when the Army dude fired on the wife----seemingly completely random as to why he shot her, not to mention it appears the bullet misses her anyway and strikes the door jamb to her left...yet, the Alien has to "save her" by cauterizing the wound.......too funny.

CCC
  • A favorite of mine because it combined horror and science fiction.

It was very low budget but they did have some great writers. Channel 11 used to show re-runs here in los angeles, I would watch it every saturday...never get tired of this show. I loved the one with the talking rocks...that was so cool!! And who could ever forget the one with Rober Culp where he is turned into an Alien? I think my all time favorite one is the machine that is used to spy on people from miles away. You sit down and turn the contols and tune a person in...then you can see and hear them. Just think if it were possible, what do you suppose the government would use it for?
  • Not as good as the Twilight Zone, but still great nonetheless.

The only reason I compared this show to "The Twilight Zone" is because they're both have the same sci-fi/horror/mystery format in a series of weekly self-contained stories. I actually think that the remake version of "Outer Limits" is better than that of "Twilight Zone" (both the 80's and 00's versions)

Anyway, I guess the biggest problem I had with this show was running time. Don't get me wrong, I loved the fact that the episodes were one hour instead of a half hour (like TZ) but sometimes this was a bad thing too because there just wasn't enough there to keep my attention for that extra half hour.

Either way though, this show was great in its own right. As opposed to Twilight Zone's "underlaying moral fiber" message this show, in my opinion, focussed more on action and horror. One could probably consider this more of a "sci fi" show than Twilight Zone as well (which was more fantasy).

Some of my favorite episodes include "The Man Who Was Never Born", "The Zanti Misfits" and "The Guests".
  • One of the original science fiction classics!

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission." These familiar words introduced a short-lived but very important science fiction TV series. Although the Outer Limits only lasted a brief two seasons, people still remember those famous opening lines.

I recently watched the entire first season on DVD. Each episode was well written (reflecting the writing of the early 1960s) and quality actors and actresses were cast in the major roles. Even though the special effects leave much to be desired, the end result was a series which every science fiction buff loves.

Beginning with "The Galaxy Being," the series explored the theme of alien beings. Week after week the planet earth was exposed to life from other worlds. Sometimes they visited earth and other times they were visited by us. Other themes included nuclear war, the end of the world, and the effects of radiation exposure.

Some of my favorite stars who appeared in the series were Leonard Nimoy, Martin Landau, Ivan Dixon, Robert Culp, Jacqueline Scott, and Robert Duvall.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the series. I hope you'll join me on this "great adventure."

"We now return control of your television set to you, until next week, at the same time when the Control Voice will take you to... The Outer Limits."
  • There is nothing wrong with your telivision set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture, or the aliens will GET you.

Just recently, I managed to get my hands on a DVD collection of old Outer Limits classics and my God how the memories came flooding back!One of the best and scariest T.V. shows in the history of television. I was in short pants when these episodes origionally aired, and I never missed a single one of them! When the episode called "It Crawled Out of the Woodwork" was shown, I had nightmares for weeks just thinking about Edward Asner trapped in that concrete hallway with a life sucking energy monster just waiting to rip him a new one. In the eighties, an anthology film of old twilite zone episodes was made starring John Lithgow and the late Vic Morrow. I'd love to see the Outer Limits get the same big budget treatment! My pics for episodes that should be dusted off and re-written for the Big Screen would be; "It Crawled out of the Woodwork", "The Man With the Power", "The Architects of Fear" and "The Invisible Enemy". If they did as good a job on the Outer Limits movie as they did on The Twilite zone, wild horses couldn't keep me from seeing it!
  • This was the worst copy of The Twilight Zone ever!!!

Well this was the most ridiculous show I've seen, it's not even remotely close to The Twilight Zone. Silly stories, cheesy costumes,(I know it was in the 60's and the special effects were bad but it wasn't necesary to make cheesy monsters to scare you, in fact it made me laugh) horrible all the way!!. I kept watching, thinking that someday I was going to see an episode that make any sense, never happened!!
    And the silly control voice...just ridiculous! It will never be like Rod Serling's introductions.
    I wasted my time horribly!! =(
    I can't believe they made a remake which was terrible too.
  • This is an excellent episode notwithstanding the core idea being a central story point recycled from episode 3, "The Architects of Fear."

This is an excellent episode notwithstanding the core idea being a central story point recycled from episode 3, "The Architects of Fear." In that episode, Robert Culp instead of Robert Duval is a soldierly man transformed into an alien as part of a strategic deception. Curiously, the scientist who effects the transformation, in both episodes, is played by the same actor, Douglas Henderson.

There the similarities end as this episode, whose chief writer is the distinguished dramatist, Robert Towne, provides a narrative medium for the recycled idea that is wholly superior to the earlier script. While the first script amounts to a disturbing example of extreme cruelty in service of a preposterous idea, the latter script effectively indicts human fear and the impulse to violence in the face of the unknown.
  • Early 60's sci-fi anthology series, it was seriously done, episodes are in black and white and features an array of period actors.

This was a great program, ABC never gave it the respect it deserved, but then, that's always been their trademark.
    As an anthology, it had the best television actors available, some of them, at the beginning of their illustrious careers (William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy), others already stars (Robert Culp, Anthony Eisley). Once-in-a-while even a movie star would turn up (Cliff Robertson).
    The stories were variable, due to what must have been a brutally cheap budget.
    All are great fun to watch and were so, even then.
    Some are exquisitely effective, almost experimental, due mainly to the efforts of directors like the brilliant Gerd Oswald.
    Personal favorites:
    "The Production and Decay of Strange Particles", a sort of nightmarish radioactive vampire tale;
    "The Forms of Things Unknown", an almost avant garde episode about bending time, featuring fisheye camerawork and an ultra-moody David McCallum (soon to be a heatthrob as secret agent Ilya Kuryakin in another great show, "The Man From Uncle") and "A Feasibility Study", wherein aliens push a community to it's limits for their own twisted ends.
    If you're into glorious monochrome 60's entertainment, you cannot go far wrong here. I love this show. Even in it's sillier moments, it's always vastly entertaining, and the creativity of the producers is amazing.
  • Each week the series took the viewer from their living room to the outer limits of the Galaxy (sometimes while us kids were hiding behind the sofa terrified at what was happening on the TV screen!) First series possibly best (better opening music).

The special effects are very dated from the perspective of the 21st century, but there were often stories with heart and soul, unlike much of today's studio output, where the fast buck rules. The original Outer Limits series provided a vehicle for many up-and-coming actors, and the acting was often first-class. (Dropped after the second series, where production values seemed to be lower) The scripts tended to have some moral content, but without preaching to the viewer, and sometimes the screenplay was almost Shakespearean! This series was constructed during high levels of cold war tension, and there is an urgency to much of the writing and acting, a seriousness in many (but not all) of the storylines, which is palpable. The space race was underway, and many people felt great hope for the future of space travel and possible first contact with other civilisations, coupled with sheer optimism in technological advance. However, the Outer Limits often focused on the alternative possibilities - hostile first contacts, threats to Earth, and individuals trapped in nightmare situations. The message seemed to be that technology has sharp edges as well as easy promises for us. There were stories of positive contact as well, with only a few casualties! Aliens of awesome power deliver warnings (The Day the Earth Stood Still revisited?) about our attitudes and behaviour, or endeavour to teach us that goodness and kindness may be Universal values.
  • This was a classic sci-fi show that featured bizarre events in regular peoples lives.

This is one of my all-time favorite shows. It had great writing and acting. I wish it would have had a longer run so there would be more episodes to watch now. There is no-way to recapture that magic. As with the "Twilight Zone" remakes they are ok, but the originals are simply great. In the newer, current version you see some re-hashed storylines which aren't so bad since you get to see current day actors and actresses playing the parts. You do NOT get this big name stars that did the original series. It's kind of like when a classic song is covered by a current day music group. It use really bother me as I would think that the current day band is trying to ride someone else’s coat tails. However I have come to learn that in music, movies and television many of today kids would not be exposed to the older material if it were not made popular by someone in the current time. I wish the this older version could have lasted longer. I really loved the writing and the great stars that acted in the series.
  • A top grade black-and-white 60s sci-fi show, though slightly uneven in it's overall quality. Many episodes stand up even today in terms of inducing uneasiness and outright fear.

A combo of science fiction and horror, the original Outer Limits delivered almost every week. Even its worst epidode would be considered above average today. Much better than the newer series, which is horrendously uneven in quality.

Best episode? Why, the one that was banned from many parts of the country and even had the scary parts blacked-out in some markets--"The Architects of Fear" of course.
  • There is nothing wrong with MY television set...

Where else can one find top-notch stories about aliens, monsters & other bizarre phenomena that defy rational explanation? The Outer Limits, of course.

This was one of the most outstanding Science Fiction shows ever made back in the early 1960's that took the genre from the realm of comic books & gave it an adult & intellectual nature.

Even though the quality of the show suffered after the 1st season, this will always be remembered as a classic collection of memorable stories. I have first seen this show on Chicago TV back in the early 1980's & even today, i still look forward to hearing the "control voice" to guide me to The Outer Limits.
  • Outer limits

Classic Saturday afternoon Black and White televsion. A staple from my childhood. Creepy in the classic sense absolutely no gore, all thrill and edge of your seat entertainment. The multitude of intriguing story lines that never lost you but didn't give away the Mickey Spillane twist at the end of each show.