The Outer Limits - Original

Soldier

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Sep 19, 1964 on ABC

• Well written and good acting. Interesting hard science fiction story, predictable ending. Well worth watching.

This was a well written episode; the dialog was believable under the conditions of the story. Good acting, the presentation evoked emotion; I wanted the solder to be able to communicate. Interesting hard science fiction story but with a predictable ending. Well worth watching.

To fill the remaining 100 word requirement I will opine about the series. The show was canceled a year before I was born and I watched re-runs every Sunday afternoon. This show along with The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents planted the science fiction bug in my mind and after 1000's of books and movies I still love this show.
  • My rating: 6 - Good

"Soldier" is an entertaining episode about a foot soldier blasted back in time to 1964. The soldier is named Qarlo, who is played wonderfully by Michael Ansara. Qarlo is zapped into the past by a beam that strikes him as he is battling an enemy soldier on a barren, futuristic Earth landscape. The opening scenes of Qarlo fighting in this wasteland are great. The set design is very intriguing and it should give a real thrill to fans of older science fiction. There isn't a lot of action in this story, instead the emphasis is on Qarlo learning to communicate with philologist Tom Kagan. Kagan is played by Lloyd Nolan who's performance is enjoyable, but mostly because of how ineffective it is. Nolan spends most of the time voicing his frustrations with a Howard Cosell-style delivery. While Qarlo continually demonstrates how unstable he is, Kagan somehow manages to bring Qarlo home to live with him and his family! It really does create some interesting situations, even if it is difficult to imagine how it would ever be permitted. Qarlo eventually mixes it up with his enemy from the future who was stuck for most of the story between his present and the past. The final confrontation is fun with the two dangerous soldiers of the future fighting it out in a suburban living room. As silly as "Soldier" seems, it is a lot of fun.