The Outer Limits - Original

Specimen: Unknown

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 24, 1964 on ABC

• Deadly alien flowers.

Even though I classfied this episode as average, it's one of my favorite episodes, maybe at number twelve. I mean, it still has some decent special effects and the fact that at least the first-half of the story takes place in outer-space holds my attention, because it's outer space which appeals to me. So maybe in that sense,I'm somewhat biased in my reaction.

Also enjoyed the presence of actor Russell Johnson as an astronaut. That actor always seemed the studious type, and that attitude of mine was influenced by his Professorial role in Giligan's Island. Too bad that Mr. Johnson is too old now, otherwise he would have been perfect for the role of Reed Richards in the recent movie FANTASTIC FOUR.

I agree with most fans that the alien flowers are NOT menacing enough,if at all. So what holds my attention are the scenes in outer space. I even enjoy the e.v.a.(extra-vehicular)scene where an astronaut floats Outside the space-ship to do repairs. That scene has been criticized as being much too long and much too slow-moving, but that's why a vcr has a fast-forward button.