The Outer Limits - Original

The Bellero Shield

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 10, 1964 on ABC

• A scientist's laser beam attracts an alien being into his lab. His father, who disapproves of his work and of his wife, but who shares her ambition, is ensnared in her plan to exploit the alien and "The Bellero Shield". Fate has different plans.

Martin Landau is good as the scientist (though not as sympathetic as "The Man Who Was Never Born"). The father (Neil Hamilton of "Batman" fame) is equally as good in his bombastic manner. The best performance, I think, however, is Sally Kellerman, as the wife. The final scene **spoiler alert** when she is finally freed from the shield, but still believes that she is imprisoned inside, is very poignant. Has she been rewarded for her evil in trying to kill the alien by going mad? The viewer is left to guess. On the negative side, it seemed pretentious at times (the shadows and the wine cellar) and almost comical (the barefoot maid who was always there on call).
  • If this is the one I am thinking of it disturbed me for years.

in the end of this episode, the alien with the Nehru jacket and large bulbous head has his nerve/vein thingie in his wrist cut, preventing the lead female human character from escaping the invisible shield wall surrounding her. The alien's last living act is to try to put the severed vein/nerve together to release her. He dies and she tries to leave the shield but feels it still around her. She goes ballistic trying to get out. What was so disturbing is the unanswered question of whether the shield is still up or whether she psychologically still holds herself in. As a little kid this freaked me out because either way she had no escape. Depressing.