The Outer Limits - Original

The Borderland

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Dec 16, 1963 on ABC

6.8
  • First ever thing I watched as a kid

Still a great concept today.
  • Sittin' around the lab

Fairly interesting, considering that it's basically just an hour spent sitting around in a lab. But the cast is good, especially Gladys Cooper (in a basically superfluous role) and Nina Foch, and Richman gives the proceedings his grim-jawed best. I have no idea why Cooper and her henchman were hanging around for so long mouthing Shakespearean asides, just so they could fulfill their function of literally throwing a spanner (or actually, a toolbox) into the works. All of which leads to the suspicion that this one would've functioned much better as a half-hour episode of something (somewhere).
  • Exploring the idea that there are other dimensions...

In this installment, scientists believe they have discovered a way to open a path into another dimension and send objects into it temporarily. A millionaire, feeling that the unknown dimension might be some form of the Hereafter and that his son might be there, agrees to support the project and uses his influence to secure a hour of the area's power at the local power plant. From there, the episode unfolds with trials, problems and a twist at the end that I didn't see coming.

All in all, not a bad episode for viewing. There are certain ideas that are touched upon such as the existence of dimensions other than our own. The Borderland does give the viewer something to mull over after being watched.