The Outer Limits - Original

The Chameleon

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Apr 27, 1964 on ABC

• My rating: 7 - Very Good

"The Chameleon" is a fine story with a terrific performance by Robert Duvall. Duvall plays Louis Mace, a government agent-for-hire, a man detached from the real world who is just realizing his desire to create a new life for himself. I'm not sure what "The Chameleon" would be like without the rock solid Duvall but thankfully we don't have to worry. The alien spacecraft is not convincing as it is a little too small and inside looks a bit too much like the back room of a TV repair shop. The alien facial makeup give the aliens a unique appearance (as is nearly always the case with The Outer Limits), the actor's mouths free to add expressions. The scaly hands of the aliens make little sense as there would be no dexterity possible and they are big and clumsy compared to the basically slight build of the aliens. The transformation of Mace into an alien is not the best, but Duvall's alien giggle is very effective and signals behavior not expected by the doctor. The character of Leon Chambers, the "government man" seems miscast. Howard Caine plays Chambers but Caine is a portly little man who hardly fits the image normally reserved for government authorities. This episode ends up being a small story of a man in search of a purpose for himself and is enjoyable in large part to Duvall's performance.

My rating: 7 - Very Good