The Outer Limits - Original

The Invisible Enemy

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Oct 31, 1964 on ABC

• I Missed It Back in the Day

I just watched this on DVD tonight as I missed it back when I was about 11 when it was first aired. While not bad for its day and budget, as the other reviewer said, it was really rather dull and a bit dumb. The other reviewer mentions instantaneous communications via laser but that is absurd as radio waves and laser beams both travel at the speed of light and from Earth to Mars depending on their relative positions is between 4 and 20 minutes. It did bear mentioning that they did discuss it although their solution was flawed. As for the story, it was rather simplistic with the "monster of the week" story line driving it. The acting was rather one dimensional and the script very bland. But all in all it was fun and a great nostalgia item for old guys like me. I was a big fan of the show back in the day and it was fun seeing Adam West and Ted Knight in it.
  • A bit of FTL handwaving

This was basically a "monster-of-the-week" episode. Watchable but nothing special, though the effects were good for the era and for the budget of the show.

Notice that in the beginning of the episode they talk about using a standing laser wave (not certain exactly the term--memory fails) to avoid the speed-of-light delay in communications back-and-forth between Earth and Mars. At least the writers addressed this issue--which is more than usually happens even in shows and movies of today.