The Outer Limits

Final Appeal (1)

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Sep 03, 2000 on Showtime

• Dr. Theresa Givens travels into the future only to find a society that has rejected technology in order to prevent another nuclear holocaust. Sentenced to death for attempting to break these laws, Dr. Givens must argue her case before the Supreme Court.

As far as Outer Limits clip shows go, the nicest thing I can say about these episodes is I've seen better and worse. At least it had quite the guest star list. After the first 10 minutes I was wondering how they were able to actually make a full episode, let alone a two part-er. In fact it doesn't really pick up until Ezekiel shows up at the end of the first part.

Amanda Plummer guest stars reprising her role as time traveling vigilante Dr. Theresa Givens, now a passionate scientist who has been changed when she changed her personal time line. As she argues the case of advancing technology, clips are played showing some of the miracles and horrors that the Outer Limits has shown over the years. At the end of part 1, Wallace Langham appears as Ezekiel, once infatuated by Dr. Givens, he now is a neo-luddite out to prove the destructive power of technology. Ezekiel and Givens continue to trade arguments and clips in part 2, eventually even questioning Chief Justice Wainwright, played by Charlton Heston. Overall, it's at least interesting to hear the arguments that are brought up.

I won't give away the ending except to say a few things: 1) In her closing statement Plummer actually says "outer limits. 2) The verdict is obvious. 3) The ending is fairly obvious and unnecessary. Frankly the ending just brings the entire two part-er down.