The Outer Limits

Star Crossed

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Aug 13, 1999 on Showtime

• Confusing and boring

I love The Outer Limits but I hated this episode. I couldn't understand a word the female Russian officer was saying. Apparently, whatever she was saying was important to the plot because I was totally lost. If possible, I would have given this a -1 rating , as in minus one hour, because it wasted an hour of my life.
  • This episode is a blatant rip-off of Casablanca with a little Matrix-esque action thrown in on the side. Did they think no one would notice? I mean, what the heck?!

I gave this installment of The Outer Limits (remake) a 9/10 purely on the basis of the comedy value it provided for me. This episode features Nathan Fillion playing a character who bears a striking similarity (if not resemblance) to Humphrey Bogart's Rick Blaine. I still can't decide whether to consider this episode a blatant rip-off, or merely a bad homage to the classic 1942 film. Either way, the plot of this episode follows that of Casablanca exactly, and it is amazing to me that the writers thought they could get away with this. Still, I must acknowledge that Fillion does do a good job in the lead role, although I couldn't help but feel I was watching Capt. Malcolm Reynolds somehow thrown into the Casablanca storyline (in fairness, Fillion didn't take on the role of Mal until a few years later, but Firefly fans will surely know what I'm talking about). Additionally, the fact that the main villain is costumed much like M. Bison from the Street Fighter video games ads a little extra kick to the hilarity. In short, this episode is Captain Malcolm Reynolds of Firefly playing Rick Blaine from Casablanca, facing off against evil alien M. Bison and "the Russians," and ripping off action scenes from the Matrix (the lower-budget way). Sound awesomely hilarious? Oh it is. It is.