The Outer Limits

The Grell

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Feb 12, 1999 on Showtime

• A Powerfully Emotional Episode

When their roles are reversed, the ties that bind a human family and their loyal and long serving Grell slave, are put to the test. After the family jet crashes in remote rebel held territory, the slave, Jesha stays with them out of love for the children and his knowledge of what will/could happen to them without his skills in the wilderness. The mother and father both fall apart emotionally and physicall and at these times Jesha shows great dignity and restraint. When he has the chance to abandon them, and join his fellow Grell, he doesn't. That choice says a lot about compassion and the power of love to change minds. As we've come to expect from the new Outer Limits, there is a sci-fi twist in the story, that leads to the final role reversal that I didn't see coming. I'm hoping that if we went back to this world and characters five years down the road, that social change - with pressure from the rebels, would have brought about real change in their society. Great story, strong performances. Race, class and culture all explored in an intelligent mind-opening premise.