The Outer Limits

The Surrogate

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Apr 06, 2001 on Showtime

7.8
  • Most of the episodes of this series I have seen really got me thinking. This one was an exception.

This episode did okay at installing a mild sense of dread and foreboding. Though it lacked much in the way of major special effects, it did have one pretty impressive one.

What I like about this series, in general, is the way that it makes you think. Most of the stories have a moral.

They tell a fantastic tale, there is some kind of a theme to it, and then at the end, the narrator or the story itself tells you what you should worry about.

In this episode, the moral was not that clear.

I guess it was not to let life, or the pursuit of creating life, become a hollow goal. Do not sacrifice everything, in order to create something that in the end merely destroys you. Not for money, not for ennui, not just because it is something to do.

It was kind of ironic that the woman who was the protagonist had a suitor, who she chose to ignore.

Maybe the case the show was trying to make is that turning to science as a means of getting a little extra money can backfire. When nature is just as capable of providing a solution, maybe you should go with nature.

I am really grasping about for straws, though. I really do now know for sure what lesson this particular episode was trying to teach. Somehow, for a show in this series, that is really unsatisfying.