The Outer Limits

Tribunal

Aired Friday 9:00 PM May 14, 1999 on Showtime

• People often focus on where a person or their ancestors are from, what their gender is, what their religions are, what color hair they have, what color skin they have. This story shows we should recognize ourselves in others.

This is one of the best episodes of one of the best written series ever to air on television.

The writing on The Outer Limits is frequently very good.

The stories frequently seem well thought-out. The acting is often top-notch. The special effects are almost always eye-catching in this series.

In this episode - which was amazingly directed, narrated, and shot as well - all these things came together beautifully.

The theme this time is man's inhumanity to man, part of the age-old conflict of man-against-man.

The episode beautifully shows up the tragedy this often brings when acted out in the large. It uses irony to portray how when people kill others, or treat them with cruelty - they are often harming themselves too. They just do not know it yet.

This is one episode that everyone should watch.

Because people still have not learned that lesson yet.

It is more than a story. It is a fact.

I feel pity for anyone who sees this show and thinks it is about Jews and Germans.

Virtually all of the main characters and extras were were Germans, right? And they were all human beings - no matter when or where they dwelled.

That was the message of the show.

What the characters did in the show, that was the true measure of their character.

Their character was not determined by their status. Nor was it determined by who other characters - or the viewer - associated them with.

Rather, it is how they treated other people that counted. That was the whole point of the story, in a nutshell.

Their actions towards others were either noble or unthinkably cruel; just or unjust. The way the story ended for the main characters was likewise - aboslutely just, or completely unjust.

People's actions had consequences on how the story played out. Consequences for themselves, consequences for those they loved. Even consequences for those they did not really know, and whose lives they affected in ways they could never know.

The writer did not mess around with shades of gray.

He showed a very dazzling color picture. And, as you turned the corner after looking at it, in the denoument - he showed you that these things really were black and white.

Good was truly nice, evil was truly bad. And hovering around them, was Justice that did not come from judges or even other people. Really, the justice they received came from themselves - not anyone out to teach them a lesson.
  • Simply Amazing.... Loved every minute MUST SEE

Not one to write many of these but the subject was heartbreaking. This was a Fantastic story. The writing, what an incredible story, and Saul Rubinek was wonderful to watch. When you see this is on make it a point to record it. This one made me cry and then cheer.
    It will have you on the end of my couch and make you revisit the horrors of the camps. Trust me, this show was their 100th episode(which, as most people know is when they play their best and most emtional shows) This one most certainly was.
    And what a twist at the end.

God Bless

The last line of the show really says it all
  • Having watched every episoide ever of the outer limits this is by far my favourite. Brilliant twists and turns dealing with some very difficult issues and also incorporating the concept of time-travel. Simply the best Outer Limits episode ever made. Execp

Set in a prisoner of war camp amidst inhumane conditions a time traveller changes the course of destiny for members of his own family.

Cleverly mixed with time travel an emotional atmoshphere of ausvitch is conveyed which at times leads to a very hard hitting episode.

However there are more than a few twists in store and some really memorable quotations.

I especially like "There's only 1 thing that can set you free Aaron, it;s the truth, and also the dedication by the exutive producer at the end of the episode when it is almost impossible not to feel emotional.

I don't want to really describe what happens, and I have tried not to as I don't want to spoil it for people who may not have been lucky enough to see the best episode ever made. If you have not seen it please watch this as soon as possible, I promise you will not be dissapointed.
  • Very powerful episode on hatred, destiny and redemption.

This is one of the most powerful episodes of the series. A time traveler breaks his own moral code to deliver justice, redemption and hope to a man and his father.

This episode always haunts me by revealing just how banal evil truly is and how sacrifice can defeat it.