The Pacific Forums

HBO (ended 2010)

Final Episode: 1.10..**SPOILERS**..

Yaspaa

[1]May 16, 2010
    • level: 79
    Please direct all discussion regarding the fianl episode *Home* to this thread, thanks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]May 16, 2010
    • level: 45

Outstanding finish seeing how the guys ended up glad they were able to make something of themselves after the war.

justinwestnet

[3]May 17, 2010
    • level: 17
    Terrific episode. I enjoyed the mini bios of the major characters. What ever happened to JP Morgan? D'leaux (Sledge's friend on Peleliu who almost crapped himself)? I think there were 1 or 2 other characters they left out. Oh well, still a great recap. PRetty funny that Leckie and Vera got married!

Ambaryerno

[4]May 17, 2010
    • level: 18

I was wondering about J.P. as well, as I believe that he was a historical figure (as opposed to Basilone's friend Manny, who was a combination of several characters).

haldrey

[5]May 17, 2010
    • level: 22
    Great show and a great ending, from the horrors of war to the drama of the after war. The only thing that I believe was missing from the show was that it was centered around middle to upper crust individuals of the American society. No attention was given to a vast majority that returned with grave mental deficiencies and lack of work and ended in institutions, in the jails and homeless.

x1um1n

[6]May 17, 2010
    • level: 4

I'm sorry but that ending was such a cop out! They glossed right over Hiroshima/Nagasaki!

Spielberg and Hanks should be ashamed of themselves, they had no compunction at all about showing the Nazi concentration camps in all their grisly detail in Band of Brothers, but heaven forbid they should show the greatest US wartime atrocities of all time! That might upset the viewers!!!

How can you tell the story of the Pacific campaign and not show the ending?????

danharr

[7]May 17, 2010
    • level: 45

x1um1n wrote:

I'm sorry but that ending was such a cop out! They glossed right over Hiroshima/Nagasaki!

Spielberg and Hanks should be ashamed of themselves, they had no compunction at all about showing the Nazi concentration camps in all their grisly detail in Band of Brothers, but heaven forbid they should show the greatest US wartime atrocities of all time! That might upset the viewers!!!

Because genius the mini-series was about specific individuals not the war as a whole. If the men and their units had went to the Japanese mainland then they would've showcased the bombings. In Band of Brothers the 1st Airborne Unit discovered the Nazi death camps hence the concentration camp scene. You really need to think about the big picture and the historical context of something before you post. Your kneejerk reaction based out of your own p.o.v. was childish and downright embarrassing.

XileLord

[8]May 18, 2010
    • level: 2

Episode 8, 9 and 10 made this series for me.

Loved episode 10 it brought closure and the series.

Yaspaa

[9]May 18, 2010
    • level: 79
    danharr wrote:

x1um1n wrote:

Because genius the mini-series was about specific individuals not the war as a whole. If the men and their units had went to the Japanese mainland then they would've showcased the bombings. In Band of Brothers the 1st Airborne Unit discovered the Nazi death camps hence the concentration camp scene. You really need to think about the big picture and the historical context of something before you post. Your kneejerk reaction based out of your own p.o.v. was childish and downright embarrassing.

Ambaryerno

[10]May 18, 2010
    • level: 18

I WILL say that not even mentioning the Cactus Air Force in Part 2 AT ALL was a FAR more significant oversight considering how closely linked the CAF was to the Marines on the ground at the Canal. Even a brief mention by Hanks in the opening narration or a shot of Wildcats taking off from Henderson Field to oppose the air raid when Leckie and the Marines raid the army's supply dump would have been sufficient.

The Bombs were footnotes in the story because they didn't have a major and direct impact on the characters the series focused on (as was said before, Easy Company had a first-hand look at the Death Camps. Sledge didn't see Hiroshima).

dennuz

[11]May 19, 2010
    • level: 6

Really enjoyed the final episode. Too bad the show is over. I finally connected to the characters. Something which I did only after the 7th episode or so.

antdude

[12]May 20, 2010
    • level: 27
    It was OK for what it is supposed to do. No action scenes for sure, excluding the highlights from previous episode(s).

torrijos

[13]May 21, 2010
    • level: 16
    I liked it a lot, the fact that Sledgehammer was never to wear the uniform again, or Leckie calmly explaining that at one point he just thought he was not going to make it back, were so grave in their tone that people could feel the implication but never get to really understand them. It's a lot of what we can still see today in people coming back from wars.

I have a question : can somebody tell me who the old lady and the woman in the interviews, before the episode, were related to?