The Pacific Forums

HBO (ended 2010)

Pacific or Band of Brothers

Which do you like better?

finalcry

[1]Apr 29, 2010
    • level: 6

I know that The Pacific isn't all the way through yet, but so far which do you like better and why?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ambaryerno

[2]May 1, 2010
    • level: 18

This is really an unfair poll.

The simple fact is that ANYTHING set in the European Theater automatically resonates more with audiences because you have the image of the big, clearly-defined evil of Nazi Germany. Then when you exclude that ideology, the Germans and Western Allies shared much of the same cultural background (not all high-ranking German officers were Nazis. Rommel absolutely DESPISED the Nazi Party and their politics). It's much easier to identify with and understand the common German soldier.

Meanwhile, Japanese culture, particularly of the time, is so alien to the West that there's no common ground. The Pacific War was something ENTIRELY different than what was faced in Europe. The themes traditionally present in films set in the European Theater are almost universally missing from those in the Pacific. In Pacific Theater media you see a LOT more focus on the psychological toll of the war (compare Thin Red Line to Saving Private Ryan. Both came out in 199.

Finally, there's just not much interest in the Pacific War. The majority of what comes out in the media about WWII invariably focuses on the War in Europe, particularly in the West. Europe has been raised to a nearly mythical status, leaving the Pacific War to fade into obscurity. When the media says "D-Day," they almost universally apply it to Normandy, even though there were DOZENS of D-Days. D-Day is just code for the kick-off of a military operation, and there were D-Days throughout the Pacific War on nearly every island invasion.

Whether it's strictly on personal opinion or not The Pacific is naturally disadvantaged.

justinwestnet

[3]May 3, 2010
    • level: 17

Ambaryerno wrote:

This is really an unfair poll.

The simple fact is that ANYTHING set in the European Theater automatically resonates more with audiences because you have the image of the big, clearly-defined evil of Nazi Germany. Then when you exclude that ideology, the Germans and Western Allies shared much of the same cultural background (not all high-ranking German officers were Nazis. Rommel absolutely DESPISED the Nazi Party and their politics). It's much easier to identify with and understand the common German soldier.

Meanwhile, Japanese culture, particularly of the time, is so alien to the West that there's no common ground. The Pacific War was something ENTIRELY different than what was faced in Europe. The themes traditionally present in films set in the European Theater are almost universally missing from those in the Pacific. In Pacific Theater media you see a LOT more focus on the psychological toll of the war (compare Thin Red Line to Saving Private Ryan. Both came out in 199.

Finally, there's just not much interest in the Pacific War. The majority of what comes out in the media about WWII invariably focuses on the War in Europe, particularly in the West. Europe has been raised to a nearly mythical status, leaving the Pacific War to fade into obscurity. When the media says "D-Day," they almost universally apply it to Normandy, even though there were DOZENS of D-Days. D-Day is just code for the kick-off of a military operation, and there were D-Days throughout the Pacific War on nearly every island invasion.

Whether it's strictly on personal opinion or not The Pacific is naturally disadvantaged.

I agree 100%. Too build on that a little bit in terms of the actual mini series, they're not the same. The only common ground was the Hanks-Ambrose-Speilberg production team, so it LOOKED like BoB in terms of cinematography. While BoB told the story of one companies journey in the war over the course of a year of combat, the pacific focuses more on that actual theatre of war, as told through the eyes of 3 marines (basilone (rip), sledge and leckie). All of them fought over the course of several years. The Euro theatre is always more romantic in that sense like the above poster said, while the pacific was so brutal both mentally and phsyically. It's unfair to compare the two because they're different stories set in different aspects of war and one focuses on a group of guys and their growth through the war, the other focuses on a handful of marines and how they saw the war and the toll the brutality of the pacific took on their minds and bodies. But both are damn good.

pr0teu5

[4]May 4, 2010
    • level: 6

As I look at both show,the pacific feel in many way like actual "document on war in pacific". Unlike BoB,which from start to end it's a show.
    The war in Pacific look and feel like real.

IanBorg0

[5]May 4, 2010
    • level: 4

Its not about the story itself, but the way it is told. Pacific has absolutely no character development. Thus it fails miserably

D-LinkUK

[6]May 5, 2010
    • level: 24

It's really a no brainer.

The problem with the Pacific is that it was built up to be better than BoB and has fallen short, imo i think alot of it is down to the chemistry between viewer and character, in BoB i cared about each of Easy company from their days at Currahee all the way to Richard Winters speech at the end of Points, in Pacific we have 3 main characters and even 8 epsiodes in i've not grown to care about anyone of them.

Don't get me wrong i'm enjoying watching the Pacific series ( with the exception of Melbourne ), i've not rated the full show yet but most episodes i've given between a 6 and 8 where as Band of Brothers they were mainly across the board at 9.5's even a 10 here and there.

I'll continue to watch The Pacific until the end but i wont be rushing out to buy the boxset on DVD when it becomes available.

Edited on 05/05/2010 2:19am

antdude

[7]May 6, 2010
    • level: 27
    BoB is better (ignoring its slow first episode). We still have two episodes left to make up for it.

XileLord

[8]May 18, 2010
    • level: 2

Everybody want's to see bullets flying, soldiers suffering. character development and action. I felt that the pacific captured a few of these moments very well but what made it so great was how the show was done. Look to episode 9 (I had trouble even looking at the screen) I'd have to say that's the best episode in either of the series. However character development is very important and that's something the pacific didn't do as good as band of brothers.

Band of brothers had better character development but why so many people say it's what the pacific lacked is completely beyond me. The pacific has way better character development then most shows and actually took a somewhat more realistic approach to WW2 then BoB. Leckie felt undeveloped to me but sledge and basilone had entire episodes dedicated to them. The pacific also had some very likeable characters like shelton, capt andrew haldane, LT general alexander vandegrift (the old man who bathed in the rain). The show had suicidal soldiers, babies/children and civilians dying and while only one or two episode's really did this, the episodes are what made the series for me because it showed the essence of war and the value of humanity in the eyes of the soldiers.

Now what it lacked was the connection between the soldiers but that's hard to do when the main characters are spread out so much. It succeeded in showing the war outside of the actual battle (the episode dedicated to Australia and the last episode of the series) it succeeded in showing the emotional effects of war, it succeeded in historical accuracy (okay not completely but in most aspects)and most of all it succeeded in being a great TV series.

BoB is a more developed series that did a lot of things better then pacific but it doesn't make the pacific a bad TV show. I'd give BoB a 9.5/10 and the pacific a 9.0/10.

Great series could have been better in some aspects but for me anyways it captured what I wanted it to capture.

Edited on 05/18/2010 3:28am

SteveDWatkins

[9]May 18, 2010
    • level: 10

I think the problem was with the number of shows. BoB was well fitted into 10 episodes, only have to cover just over a year's time. The Pacific, however, spans 3 years in the same amount of episodes. EPIC FAIL!! I think they could have pulled it off with just 10 episodes, there was just a lot of episode mismanagement. For instance, Peleliu took up way too many episodes. Then episode "Iwo Jima", I think we were all expecting an hour of hell, only to receive 50 minutes of Basilone banging some brunette, which only allowed argueably one of the most pivotal battles of World War II, not to mention that it lasted for 36 days and was the site of the flag raising, to be showcased in a little 10 minute scene. MAJOR screw up there. And they followed the wrong marines at the wrong times. In one of the Peleliu episodes the spend the whole episode following Sledge around, meanwhile Leckie's group is have their asses handed to them. I would have liked to have seen that battle. And one final complaint. After the action began in BoB, it did not stop until the end. The Pacific, on the other hand, did a couple action episodes then did a crap episode, the pattern continues throughout the series. This destroyed any momentum that the show had going. The Pacific, in my opinion, is entertaining but a complete and utter disaster when compaired to BoB!! After waiting 5 some odd years to see The Pacific I am incredibly disappointed, but hey, atleast the kid from Jurassic Park got a new gig!

antdude

[10]May 20, 2010
    I posted a similiar poll about these two WWII miniseries on my Web site: http://www.aqfl.net/?q=node/8095 ... Results are identical:

What did you think of The Pacific compared to Band of Brothers (BoB)?
    Submitted by ant on Mon, 05/17/2010 - 6:15am. Art/Design | Audio | History | Personal | Sight Seeings | TV Show/Movie
    Better
    7% (1 vote)
    Same.
    0% (0 votes)
    Worse.
    50% (7 votes)
    Have not seen BoB.
    0% (0 votes)
    Have not seen The Pacific.
    29% (4 votes)
    Have not seen both.
    14% (2 votes)
    Will not watch both.
    0% (0 votes)
    Can't compare these two miniseries because they are different.
    0% (0 votes)
    Total votes: 14

Ouji-San

[11]May 30, 2010
    Well I only seen the first episode of The Pacific. and its not bad really it isnt. I do feel that band of brothers was better on its first episode..

but Ill get back to you once ive done watching the whole series.
    Great introduction to the People (cant call them characters as its true story).

efc91

[12]Jun 29, 2010
    • level: 39

I enjoyed the Pacific, the action scenes and speacil effects were impressive but Band of Brothers is on a totally different level of quality compared to it.

midge8

[13]Jul 4, 2010
    • level: 8
    Band of Brothers is brilliant and The Pacific is mediocre. It's not even a contest.

Band of brothers had better actors and a better script which drew you in. In the Pacific I didn't really care when a character was killed as the connection with the viewers had not been established. It was still ok though, just not brilliant.

antdude

[14]Aug 29, 2010
    Ouji-San wrote:
    Well I only seen the first episode of The Pacific. and its not bad really it isnt. I do feel that band of brothers was better on its first episode..

but Ill get back to you once ive done watching the whole series.
    Great introduction to the People (cant call them characters as its true story).
    Are you done yet?

csiobsessed14

[15]Jan 30, 2011
    • level: 3

I loved Band of Brothers, as I have always loved anything to do with World War Two, and I honestly loved Pacific just as much. It was an area of the War that I personally have never known much about, and the way that the story was told was as different to Band of Brothers as the Theatre of War.

Firstly in terms of character development; you saw the psychological effect on the soldiers, especially the 3 central characters, take Sledge for example in his first appearence, he was a young, naive civilian, but by the final episode you saw the effect of the war. Unable to retrn to civilian life as swiftly as his family would have liked and smoking. Now this is just one example but where the ETO was a much more gun'ho and blazing glory, the PTO was a lot more tense, waiting, the Japanese mindset was different to that of the Nazi's, who by the end of the war were barely teenagers and more terrified than bloodthirsty, yet in the PTO 'Banzai' charges were a regular occurance.

I've got the feeling I'm rambling a bit also, so I'll cut to the point; it's wrong to compare the two, in terms of cinematography yes feel free to compare, but in terms of the battles, there is no comparison to be found. Its like comparing Tom Hank's film appearences; Toy Story and Green Mile in the same year. Same actor does that mean you compare the two??Also in terms of the research and basis behind this film it was not Stephen Ambrose who authored and researched for The Pacific, it was his son Hugh Ambrose who took over his father's project after his death in 2002.

Basically, after a long-winded rant (sorry!) I love them both equally, and everyone should enjoy them as two seperate things like Tora!Tora!Tora and Pearl Harbour, same subject entirely different takes =]

Anyway! Thanks for reading or not as the case may be =]

FionaNeill

[16]Apr 15, 2011
    • level: 1
    Band of brothers- Easy

eeechawawa

[17]Apr 16, 2011
    • level: 9
    Band of Brothers

Rd_Dude

[18]May 24, 2011

definitely Band of Brothers

The Pacificwasgood too,but really for meBand of Brothers was better in almost every way!