The Pacific

Peleliu Hills

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 25, 2010 on HBO

7.1
  • A personal and moving experience of an almost unimaginable horror.

It's clear now that The Pacific was always going to be a more personal experience than Band of Brothers. With Peleliu Hill the show seems to have found it's core. Other than a short moment from Basilone, as he moves towards his place in history, this episode focuses on the horror and filth experienced by Sledge on Peleliu. I'm a fan of war films, always have been, but it's almost impossible to describe this episode as something to enjoy or entertain. It's a slow beating drum of despair, a series of vignettes that pull out moments of horror and shock with their vivid recreations of a terrible experience. Sledge isn't the rookie he was before. Dialogue is minimal throughout the experience. He, and the men around him, no longer talk of the world back home, the women waiting for them. They endure or break or die. As even the seemingly strongest succumb to the violence or horror around them it was clear to me that this was an astonishingly accomplished and powerful piece of television. It contain sights and moments that really pushed against what is possible or even acceptable in recreating war. In particular, combining one of the most grisly special effects seen in television with Sledge's personal choice about how far he would go into this horror was a sunning coda for the whole episode. It's clear that who lived and who died had nothing to do with personal actions, that all these men were ground through an experience beyond our imagining. The Pacific has managed to recreate war in a way I've never seen before. I've no idea how close to reality that is, I thankfully never will, but I feel like I've seen something exceptional and heart-breaking. The final moments as Sledge finds himself faced with beautiful women and sweet fruit juice on an Island paradise shows how divorced he'll always remain from those people who haven't lived through what he did. His sheer disbelief followed by his run into the sea, with the other men who had survived Peleliu, seemed the perfect way to end the episode. A baptism of the moment, from the horror that came before and the horror that was still to come. Television at it's best can be astonishing, horrifying, moving, visceral. This wasn't fun, but this was television at it's best.

More action (that was good, but essentially pointless), poorly timed puns and drivel in tonight's seventh installment of the 250 million dollar mistake known more commonly as The Pacific.

The one good scene was when the Japanese soldier charged and was shot seconds before being two feet away from a soldier's face. Nice camerawork there to capture the epic moment.

And to be fair, the camerawork and directing for this series has been fantastic, it is just the actual content that has been a disappointment.

Three more episodes to go, and hopefully things get better, but The Pacific has hardly swept me off my feet.
  • pointless

An American soldier in his resting break, passes his time by throwing little rocks inside the open skull of a Japanese dead soldier.
    You can hear the "splash" noise each rock makes as it lands in the remains of the dead soldier's brains.

Splash, splash..splash, as the dead Japanese soldier sitting like a gruesome piece of art laying on his machine gun while the rocks fall inside his wide open skull.
    Splash..Splats..

The scene above, even when thinking about, makes you feel bad. nausious? disgusted? horrified? shocked?
    Well when I watched it the other night, I didn't feel nothing but pity for the creators of the Pacific. Pity for them, cause even with the forced dialogues, the forced scenes of camaderie, the hundreds of body parts and guts and whatever gruesome detail you can think of, they still managed to make me feel nothing about a war that was supposed to be a living hell.

wooden dialogues, bad directing, bad stories,mostly bad acting.

250m $ wasted... they should had hired Klint to direct this mess of a story...or maybe study "Letters from Iwozima".

splash...splash....