The Panel

Wednesday 9:30 PM on Network Ten Premiered Apr 14, 1999 Between Seasons

The Panel Fan Reviews (3)

6.8
  • The team that brought you Frontline hosted this weekly 1 hour discussion of current events. Other regular co-hosts included Glenn Robbins and Kate Langbroek.

5 people sit around a desk and talk. This concept was so obvious an idea that the opposition networks must have been completely baffled by the success of this show. Having said that when network 7 later attempted to produce the short-lived Chat Room under the supervision of former Late Show member Jason Stephens, people started to realise that the Panel wasn't necessarily as easy as it looked. For my money the key to the Panel's success lay in the fact that Australian audiences trust and respect the Working Dog team who had previously produced Frontline and the hit movie the Castle. Prior to the Panel, this team of writers and performers had never over-stayed their welcome always moving onto a new project whilst their previous project was at the height of its success. The Panel was a simple idea, but executed perfectly from the intimate staging which made the home viewer feel like they were in on the conversation, to the clever casting of the very warm and funny Glenn Robbins. The Working Dog team made it all look easy.
  • It was OK. Not good but just OK. At times, The Panel really bores the hell out of me but there were many savoring moments that made me watch it til the very end.

It was OK. Not good but just OK. At times, The Panel really bores the hell out of me but there were many savoring moments that made me watch it til the very end. Recommended only if you have time to kill.The story of this show is ok, but no way to say "This is nice".
  • I love this show, its a shame we only see Christmas specials now.

The panel has always provided me with plenty of laughs and an interesting insight into the Weekly events here in Australia.

The regular members of the Panel are all funny in their own way. My least favourite would be Kate. Surely they could have a woman thats actually funny without sounding ditzy and dumb at the same time!

All the guys are great especially Glenn, he doesn't always have to say much, but when he opens his mouth something hilarious usually comes out.

Credit has to go to the people behind the scenes becausethe funny clips that they cut to in between discussions really help the show move along!

My only problem with the show is that there isn't enough of it! Apart from a hilarious Christmas special I didn't see the show at all last year! Hope fully they are coming back some time this year.