The Perils of Penelope Pitstop

CBS (ended 1970)

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop Fan Reviews (6)

7.4
  • Get ready to run, because the Hooded Claw is after you, Penelope!

One of the two Wacky Races spin-offs, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop tells us the adventures of Penelope Pitstop, the young heiress of the Pitstop forttune.

After racing with can #5, the Compact Pussycat in Wacky Races, winning a couple of races, Penelope stars in a series of her own. In it, she tries to escape from the deathly claws of the Hooded Claw (who happens to be her legal guardian, Sylvester Sneekly), who wants the Pitstop fortune all for himself. Unfortunately for him, Penelope doesn't scare easily, and she is a resourceful girl, who manages to get out of most dangerous situations, sometimes helped by the Ant Hill Mob, 7 gangsters, all of them with a heart of gold, and who participated alongside Penelope in the Wacky Races. The humour is quite fresh, and you can only laugh when you hear the Hooded Claw breaking the fourth wall, by talking with the Narrator. Possibly one of the best cartoons ever created by Hanna-Barbera, this is one classic that deserves to be on the Cartoon Hall of Fame.
  • My Favorite Wacky Races Spin-off

As a fan of Hanna/Barbera, I would watch a few of their TV series, and films like "Charlotte's Web" and "Heidi's Song." I remember watching Wacky Races when it was Teletoon along time ago, and the lovely Penelope Pitstop and her Compact Pussycat was my favorite racer (though I don't know why her car was called The Compact ****cat, it didn't looked like a cat). The series became successful, that they maded spin off series like Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines and The Perils of Penelope Pitstop. Although Wacky Races, appeared to be set in the then-contemporary 1960s, the characters and settings of The Perils of Penelope Pitstop were strongly reminiscent of the 1920s (well the 1930s).

I'd bought the complete series on DVD, and after watching all 17 episodes, I thought it's a very funny show; it has scenes you will remember and laugh your head off. In this series, Penelope is an heiress to a vast fortune, and is constantly chased by her sinister guardian (voiced by Paul Lynde) Sylvester Sneekly (aka The Hooded Claw and she doesn't even know it); but always to her rescue is her seven friends/protectors The Ant Hill Mob (also from Wacky Races) and their anthromorphic car Chug-A-Boom (like Hurbie from Disney's The Love Bug). But they sometimes screw up the rescue and it's Penelope who save them.

They never explain why Penelope is a wealthy woman? Or why the Ant Hill Mob are her friends? and so forth, they just jump right through it; but I do have imagination like : Penelope was the beloved daughter of a wealthy family; but when her Mama and Papa died, it was always her "dear daddy's" secretary Sylvester Sneekly who was with her all her life, because to girl's daddy (or male guardian) he's her oracle, her guidance and her hero (maybe that's why she refuses to believe that Sylvester is The Hooded Claw). And as to why The Ant Hill Mob are her friends? well she might have reformed the crooks because of her kind heart; or maybe the seven had reformed years ago. So overall I love this series, and would watch it again and again.
  • Penelope Pitstop (from "The Wacky Races") inherits a fortune. However, her legal guardian Sylvester Sneakly wants to steal it by any means possible.

Another great classic cartoon from the 60's.

Penelope Pitstop is HOT! HOT! HOT!

Also, you just gotta love Paul Lynde as Sylvester Sneakly (AKA "The Hooded Claw"). It's not what he says, it's how he says it that makes you laugh.

Not to mention "The Hooded Claw" creates devices that would put Rube Goldberg to shame.

The Ant Hill Mob (Also from "The Wacky Races") appear as the rescuers of Penelope. However, they need to be saved by her sometimes.

In this series, The Ant Hill Mob dump "The Bulletproof Bomb" and drive "Chug-a-Boom"...a car with a mind of its own.

Gary Owens provides a supurb narration.
  • This is one the best shows for any spin-off.

The only flaw I've have to address is. The ending cliffhangers. Why don't they show it anymore? That's confusing when the narrator says "last time we saw People". Everything else is a cult classic that will last forever. 98/100 Awesome.
  • Penelope Pitstop has alot of money. Her legal guardian Sylvester Sneakly wants it. He disguise him self as The Hooded Claw and trys to kill her and take the money. The AntHill Mob save her.

I think it is a good show. It was funny. My favorite character is The Hooded Claw. The Hooded Claw was played by Paul Lynde. He was funny. Paul Lynde was never seen in the credits. I wish he got more credit for it. I couldn't stank it when Penelope Pitstop yelled help. The Perils of Penelope Pitstop is on Boomerang at 7:30 AM central time.It ran from 1969-1970. September 13, 1969-January 17, 1970. On CBS. There were 17 Episodes. Penelope Pitstop has alot of money. Her legal guardian Sylvester Sneakly wants her money. He disguise him self as The Hooded Claw. He trys to kill her and take the money. The AntHill Mob save her.
  • A better than avenge Saturday morning cartoon show

I saw "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop" as a kid and unlike the other Saturday morning cartoons, I saw this cartoon show as a little above avenge. it's a spin off from "Wacky Races" another show that I like. I enjoy the pitfall of Penelope as she is meanced every week by the Hooded Claw. the plot of the series may have come from the serials of the 1920"s where fate is about to fall on the heroine before the sign reads, "To Be continued." That's how I saw the series. I didn't care much for the Ant Hill Mob> I see them as sterotype rejects from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."