The Phil Silvers Show

CBS (ended 1959)

gwactuary

The Phil Silvers Show Fan Reviews (7)

7.9
  • A military comedy series with lots of laughs.

Sgt Bilko is a comedy classic played by comic Legend Phil Silvers. It is a timeless classic that has spanned the generations. Accompanied by the supporting comedy acts of the charater roles of Sgt. Francis Grover and Rupert Ritzik, Mrs. Emma Ritzik, Corporal's Rocco Barbella and Steve Henshaw, Private's Duane Doberman, Dino Paparelli, Fielding Zimmerman and Sam Fender and Colonel John (Jack) Hall and Mrs. Nell Hall.

Ed Sullivan and Dick Van Dyke make 2 episode appearances each on the Emmy award winning hit tv show of the 50's.

Sgt. Ernest Bilko is always coming up with schemes to get himself and his Motor Pool Platoon into scams and always seems to get away with murder. Sgt. Ritzik is always losing at cards with Sgt. Bilko. It is a really funny show. Great comedy and Phil Silvers is a genius. It is a personal favourite.
  • Sgt.Bilko is a scheming con-man at little Fort Baxter,always working on a scam,sometimes against fellow Sgts.Ritzik and Grover,and occasionally on Colonel Hall,but hes always looking to make big score.

This show is one of the great sit-coms of the 50s,along with I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners,though it is sometimes overlooked.It certainly hasnt been shown in syndication as much as the other 2,but it is still a truly brillant sit-com.There is such a simple premise,but Phil Silvers plays the con-man role to the hilt,and there are some great satirical jabs at Army life.And the show is still extremely funny.Silvers has some great supporting actors to play off of,including Harvey Lembeck,Allan Melvin,Billy Sands,Herbie Faye,Paul Ford,Joe E.Ross,and Maurice Gosfield as Doberman(one of the great faces in sit-com history!).Its about time this show gets its due.Creator Nat Hiken went on to create Car 54,Where are you?,another sadly overlooked sit-com.
  • The Phil Silvers Show blew past my expectations.

The Phil Silvers Show blew past my expectations. At first, I had expected same old same old plot development but twist after turn of excitement and action just way exceeded my expectations. Mind you, there were some problems (most discontinuity issues) that I don't have the time to mention but all in all, a solid 9.
  • Funniest comedy show ever.

This has to be one of the funniest comedy shows ever. Phil Silvers was way ahead of his time and the show was a joy to watch. Very interestingly, it was voted the number one comedy show ever, in the UK about three years ago. Bilko was a schemer but had a heart of gold. I really wish some of his shows were shown on tv again. At least the 50th Anniversary DVD is due out May 9th. I can't wait to buy it.
  • Brilliant! One of the funniest, least appreciated shows ever on television.

This show is gold, 24 karat. Phil Silvers shows the brilliant comedic timing that old time comedians honed on the vaudeville circuit. The dialog was incredibly rapid fire, and Bilko's scenes with Colonel Hall, and Ritzik were side splitting. It's absolutely amazing that this show enjoys none of the adulation that the Honeymooners receives. While Gleason and Carney were undeniably responsible for the most "laugh out loud" moments per show (even after repeated viewings), Phil Silvers is a close second. When will this be available on DVD?
  • Truly ahead of its time, the genius of Phil Silvers made this one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I shouldn't like this show. Just the fact that it went off the air long before I was born is the first strike because shows from the Sixties (especially black and white) never could hold my interest. But this show is a joy to watch even today. Phil Silvers was hilarious and could have you fall over with the situations he would get into each week. The best part of each show for me was watching how his plans would unfold by the end of the program. Everything could be normal one minute... then when authority left the room the plan would take shape with rapid-fire precision under the booming voice of Sgt. Bilko. Keeping the secret was the best part because everyone went to extremes to do so, usually to failed results. This show seemed so elaborate to me and I think that's why I'm able to watch it. I can't get enough of Bilko!
  • Quite simply, one of the all time classics of television. When it ran the country all seemed to huddle round their tv screens and laugh together. They were simpler times, when we were more easily amused. But the proof of the comedy show is in its longevit

The show ran from 1955 to 1959. Only five seasons, thats all! Mind you in those days, back in the 50's they certainly knew how to make an actor work for their dollar. Each year they made a series of 36 or 37 episodes! Now thats some going by any standards?

If you've never seen the show before, then do your laughter organ a big faqvour and try and catch some episodes. They are often on on late night TV around midnight or in the small hours. Or if your lucky you might catch them ealy evening on a weekend on some smaller channel.

And if the show seems strangely familliar.. thats because it is! Remember the kids cartoon show, Top Cat ? Well that was based around bilko and his merry band of men. Top Cat is a straight impersonation of bilko, the same goes for Colonel Hall who in the cartoon is replaced by Officer dibble, as the one who tries to stop The weekly schemes of Top cat/Sgt Bilko. Was it any wonder it had a large adult following ?